So...5 years have nearly passed....conclusion?

Narkosekröte
171 posts Member
edited October 2020
Hi there, i am playing this game since the beginning....and after all ups and downs and discussions about whatever over the years i come to the break down now that i am simply still there because it is star wars....
thats a pity, because swgoh had a time when it was thrilling, teambuilding for events and so on. but now ? Oh, yes, there are new galactic legends in up to enrole but who cares ? the big players will get them instantly, the next level shortly after, the rest has now to choose which of the 4 galactic legends they want to unlock now.....the territory battles mark2 light side and dark side are not to complete in total by most guilds due to lack of relic key toons or gp level. the exiting raids are for old players simply annoying (im only registrating for them since weeks, nothing more).

@developers: So just stop to be greedy by releasing new senseless chars that are necessary for events shortly following but provide us some content that makes fun playing.
The sound of a TIE Fighter engine was created by combining an elephant bellow and a car driving on wet pavement.
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Well said. This game used to be really exciting farming teams in about 90 day cycles. Now the new team is 6 maybe 12 months away unless you have a stockpile of kryos or are willing to go the crystal route.

A veteran who quit in 2018 recently returned to the game and was amazed how much "slower" progression had become.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Well said. This game used to be really exciting farming teams in about 90 day cycles. Now the new team is 6 maybe 12 months away unless you have a stockpile of kryos or are willing to go the crystal route.

A veteran who quit in 2018 recently returned to the game and was amazed how much "slower" progression had become.

Did they give any perspective on what they mean?

There are more places/ways to get gear now than in 2018. I'm not sure how anyone could say progress is slower. They have added more avenues to follow, but focused progression is definitely faster.
  • MagnetsBtch17
    8 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Kyno wrote: »
    Well said. This game used to be really exciting farming teams in about 90 day cycles. Now the new team is 6 maybe 12 months away unless you have a stockpile of kryos or are willing to go the crystal route.

There are more places/ways to get gear now than in 2018. I'm not sure how anyone could say progress is slower. They have added more avenues to follow, but focused progression is definitely faster.

Because it is slower. Getting characters to G10-11 may be faster now with focused progression but that gear level isn't at all viable in most content now.

Maxing out a character in 2018 meant much less than it does now with G12 and relics and does indeed take longer - especially when the stungun bottleneck has been unaddressed for however long.

Also, wasn't the hardnode cap at 8 still in 2018 or did they screw us with that even earlier?
  • Kyno wrote: »

I suspect they are referring more about the progression from starting a new team to that team being viable or the investment to reach the new meta. The time to take a toon from unlock to gear 11 or 12 is marginally faster but depending on the toon you are no longer finished. The gap in requirements for the newer meta toons malak, gas and the gls is considerably higher than say cls or jtr.
    So the perspective would be that the added avenues haven't kept up with the over all demand. Which is more noticeable to those of us that have taken extended breaks.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Because it is slower. Getting characters to G10-11 may be faster now with focused progression but that gear level isn't at all viable in most content now.

Maxing out a character is 2018 meant much less than it does now with G12 and relics and does indeed take longer - especially when the stungun bottleneck has been unaddressed for however long.

Any veteran player getting to g13, r3 is quick and easy, and 5 or even up to 7 on toons that deserve it is not bad. Check out people posting F2P progress on GLs. People are making that progress at a good pace.

Getting to g13 on a targeted farm is not that hard of a process right now.

Again, I understand the breadth has changed on a few aspects, but as far as getting a focused toon, or a single team to a viable level, it is quicker than it was, especially for a veteran who will have a stock of mats to convert for relics. The problem now is more that a single team doesnt really mean much beyond arena.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Maxing out a character is 2018 meant much less than it does now with G12 and relics and does indeed take longer - especially when the stungun bottleneck has been unaddressed for however long.

Any veteran player getting to g13, r3 is quick and easy, and 5 or even up to 7 on toons that deserve it is not bad. Check out people posting F2P progress on GLs. People are making that progress at a good pace.

Again, I understand the breadth has changed on a few aspects, but as far as getting a focused toon, or a single team to a viable level, it is quicker than it was, especially for a veteran who will have a stock of mats to convert for relics. The problem now is more that a single team doesnt really mean much beyond arena.

Ok boomer.

Impressively helpful. Thank.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member

Ok boomer.

Impressively helpful. Thank.

I wouldn't thank but you're more polite than me.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member

I dunno about quick and easy. Lower relic levels totally, but getting to g13 is still a huge pain. Stun guns, eyeballs and those blasted kyrotechs are the problem.
    I think that kyros are one of, if not the worst thing they have added to the game. Still fail to see how they helped the gear crunch as advertised.

Adding new tiers to the daily challenges would help the community and it’s something they said they would do after the new tiers of assault battles...and like everything else they said is coming....we’re still waiting.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »

I dunno about quick and easy. Lower relic levels totally, but getting to g13 is still a huge pain. Stun guns, eyeballs and those blasted kyrotechs are the problem.
    I think that kyros are one of, if not the worst thing they have added to the game. Still fail to see how they helped the gear crunch as advertised.

Adding new tiers to the daily challenges would help the community and it’s something they said they would do after the new tiers of assault battles...and like everything else they said is coming....we’re still waiting.

Yes, I said r3, the low level stuff.

Do you think closing g13 at this point is much slower than g12 was in 2018 (I think that was the max then)? I would say it's easier or at least a wash. Since a veteran closing g13 should have relic mats ready, getting to r3 is "almost nothing"....

So the general path to a decent usable level, and much better than the max in 2018, seems to be on par or faster.

Yep waiting on those things.... we heard rumblings of improving the new player experience or something to that effect in the last set of interviews. I cant see how this can happen without adjustments to gear and farming..... but who knows.
  • DarkHelmet1138
    3884 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    I think how quickly you get to relics depend on several factors.

For veteran players that have most ship nodes, cantina nodes, and hard nodes done it isn't that bad.

However newer players that still need to farm shards from those nodes face a much longer timeline.

If you are still having to farm characters from cantina, relic signal data is very slow to get. If you are still farming your ship node characters, g12 gear takes longer. If you are still farming hard nodes, kyros take longer.

The guild event store is great to reduce the stun gun crunch but if you are still getting hoda, wampa, gas, or malak from there that option doesn't help.

I don't think the gear crunch is as bad for players that have played for 5 years. However, for newer players it is a pretty steep climb. Adding another challenge tier with stun guns and kyros would go a long way to make to better.
  • I think how quickly you get to relics depend on several factors.

For veteran players that have most ship nodes, cantina nodes, and hard nodes done it isn't that bad.

However newer players that still need to farm shards from those nodes face a much longer timeline.

If you are still having to farm characters from cantina, relic signal data is very slow to get. If you are still farming your ship node characters, g12 gear takes longer. If you are still farming hard nodes, kyros take longer.

The guild event store is great to reduce the stun gun crunch but if you are still getting hoda, wampa, gas, or malak from there that option doesn't help.

I don't think the gear crunch is as bad for players that have played for 5 years. However, for newer players it is a pretty steep climb. Adding another challenge tier with stun guns and kyros would go a long way to make to better.

Well said. The other thing I would add to this is what shard you are on because that explicitly determines your available crystals for refreshes. I have been playing since nearly the beginning and took a few months break around when Aurra Sing was released. I cannot break top 100 in Squad Arena, let alone reach top 10 or #1, because I am on an old shard with GLs at the top and maxed out, god-tier speed modded DR and GAS squads below that. I have been doing my best in a competitive guild and been focus-farming for top meta characters for over a year now, but I rarely have enough crystals to do more than 1 refresh on a node, or more than the 50 crystal refreshes on energy.
  • I think how quickly you get to relics depend on several factors.

Well said. The other thing I would add to this is what shard you are on because that explicitly determines your available crystals for refreshes. I have been playing since nearly the beginning and took a few months break around when Aurra Sing was released. I cannot break top 100 in Squad Arena, let alone reach top 10 or #1, because I am on an old shard with GLs at the top and maxed out, god-tier speed modded DR and GAS squads below that. I have been doing my best in a competitive guild and been focus-farming for top meta characters for over a year now, but I rarely have enough crystals to do more than 1 refresh on a node, or more than the 50 crystal refreshes on energy.

Have you tried a counter team? I took an 8 month break and with the vader rework it only took a couple of months to get to the top again.

Darth revan can be countered by a mirror match with gmy in for tenacity up. If their dr is faster you also need a pretaunt.

GAS can be countered with Darth revan and raid han to stun rex early.

Rey can be countered easily with vader, thrawn, wat (5 star low gear is fine), darth revan, and dark Bastilla.

Kylo teams that aren't all fo can be countered with thrawn, vader, wat, raid han (to stun hux), and a pre taunt (I used brood alpha.)

So you can build enough counters to climb pretty quick.

• Fair regarding the counter meta, but maybe it depends on when you took a break? I don't have Darth Revan or BSF because I wasn't in a position to pursue them at the time they came out, and I think I took my break shortly thereafter? I forget the precise timing now.

Either way, I am aware of all the major counters, but either don't have the necessary characters unlocked (DR, BSF, and IPD) or don't have key characters at high enough gear (Brood Alpha, Shoretrooper, Sith Empire Trooper). And I definitely don't have all the crazy speed secondaries 6 dot mods everyone seems to have, so my characters are always slower.

I realize I should work on some of these characters, but that just brings me back to my earlier point about not having enough crystals to effectively and quickly gear up characters and farm new ones. That's why I have been focusing on JKL reqs to try and build the Jedi-based counters. Those should be much closer for me.
  • Forgot to mention I am also working on 3bacca since it seems CLS Rebels with strong 3bacca and relics can counter some of these teams.
  • Fair regarding the counter meta, but maybe it depends on when you took a break? I don't have Darth Revan or BSF because I wasn't in a position to pursue them at the time they came out, and I think I took my break shortly thereafter? I forget the precise timing now.

Either way, I am aware of all the major counters, but either don't have the necessary characters unlocked (DR, BSF, and IPD) or don't have key characters at high enough gear (Brood Alpha, Shoretrooper, Sith Empire Trooper). And I definitely don't have all the crazy speed secondaries 6 dot mods everyone seems to have, so my characters are always slower.

I realize I should work on some of these characters, but that just brings me back to my earlier point about not having enough crystals to effectively and quickly gear up characters and farm new ones. That's why I have been focusing on JKL reqs to try and build the Jedi-based counters. Those should be much closer for me.

I would think if you've played from the beginning, you would have at least some of the meta toons required to counter gas or Darth revan.

If not, that is more because of choices you made on what to farm rather than the availability of gear.

I started when the game was out a year and took almost a year off but still have most of the metas except the GLs. All that ftp.

It may be you focused on ls rather than ds. That's fine. There are counters there that can get you past gas. Once you're past the gas teams, the Rey and kylo counter is really ftp friendly. You can switch in traya instead of Darth revan and it works ok but not as well.
  • Definitely focused much heavier on LS than DS, and I probably did myself a disservice in the early days not really knowing what I was doing, which maybe put me on the back foot, in some regards anyway. I definitely have at least some of the meta toons, but not all. Trying to fix it, but with as grundy as this game is, it's not a quick fix.
  • Definitely focused much heavier on LS than DS, and I probably did myself a disservice in the early days not really knowing what I was doing, which maybe put me on the back foot, in some regards anyway. I definitely have at least some of the meta toons, but not all. Trying to fix it, but with as grundy as this game is, it's not a quick fix.

That much is most definitely true. My first 7 star was sideous. Now 3 or 4 years later I actually need him. But I had him, and clone wars chewie to gear 9 or 10 before I realized that continuing to gear my strongest characters wasn't the best way to go.

If you're ls focused, you probably need to get GAS and or Jedi Luke to really counter GLs. I have GAS but he's 5 star and low gear until I finish papa palps since I run ds counters and he really adds nothing in arena to what I run.

After I get papa palps my plans are to gear and star up gas and then get jkl and probably jml to help my ls teams.

I'll probably just end up skipping Rey and Kylo permanently since by the time I get the above done we'll either have something new or it'll be time to hoard for something new.