Need help with fleets

I am using Bastilla, old Ben, JKA, Ashoka and Luminara. I’ve read that you should use DS ships for zeta farming but I can’t even beat the 2nd node. Is it still good advice to go after the DS ships or should I be trying to use ships for the chars I have maxed?

Replies

• crzydroid
    7252 posts Moderator
    Only two of those characters even have ships. They are good under Negotiator, but that's probably still far off for you. Going after the highest tier zeta challenge is still a high priority. Geo ships are probably a good way to do it, and Geos are going to be a good and useful squad for you as well.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    For the zeta materials challenge you will need Executrix and 8 non-capital ships of any alignment at 5*. To take Executrix to 5* you will need 5 non-capital Dark Side ships at 4*. Yes, it's definitely worth it.

If you are having trouble with fleet battles remember to also upgrade your pilots. Improving their crew power will also improve their ships.
  • Geos are the simplest option as among the early access DS ships they make up a great fleet. Assuming you put in the resources. But tons of people managed with a mish mash of DS ships. Main key is to buckle down and put in resources to whatever ships you end up using.

Level the crew
    Gear the crew
    Put high grade (5 dot, ideally gold) mods on the crew

Hounds Tooth would be a great ship to get for this purpose but it is a bit higher up the food chain and ideally you will have this challenge locked down before you farm HT to 5 stars.
  • Nonetheless you are definitely doing nothing wrong arena wise to keep pursuing JKA's and AT's ships. As for the dark side ships go for Imp TIE, the three geos and either TAXI (vaders ship) or HT.
  • Thank you all for the input
  • Another good option is KRU and his ship. Since both pilot and ship are on the same cantina node, its a fast farm. And its a good ship that can do a lot of damage behind a tank.

I really like Vader and his ship. But it will take a while for you to unlock it. It shows up in the fleet store, but not often. It has a node in fleet battles, but its going to take a while to build a fleet strong enough to get that node unlocked.

Imperial tie fighter is a great ship under executrix(or chimera down the road) and you'll have access to its node sooner. It also shows up in the fleet store and gw store fairly often I believe.

A good tank is needed for your fleet. Sun Fac is tank, but not a particularly good one, IMO. I still think Hounds Tooth is one of the best tanks in the game, and can plug and play in any fleet. And you have bossk for a pilot, who is the only bounty hunter tank(a great one,IMO). Hyena bomber is a good tank to go with your geo ships, and its hard to kill(at least under malevolence. I don't think I've seen it used outside of there). Imperial tie bomber is good as well, but IMO, it needs either gauntlet or emporers shuttle to really shine since they can boost its protection.

Final thought. I would keep building your dark side ships until you unlock the final tier of the ship ability material challenge. That way you'll get six zeta mats a week, and ship omegas. You need to get the omegas to realize the full potential of your ships.
  • Ships are a love and hate relationship, at least for me.
    I remember when I reached level 60 I hated them. I wasn't able to beat the first nodes and the arena fleet battles were a PIAS.
    I focused a lot on building a decent squad because I wanted to start farming zetas ASAP. I started climbing up on the arena fleet. I settled on the top 50 and I started to love them. Now I reach every day top 10, and twice a week top 5. I have a "solid" squad for my early shard and I'm building an empire squad because I love the empire.
    So my advice would be to start farming geos ASAP. Farm KRU and TIE Silencer at least to 5 stars, I don't like Silencer but is really easy to farm. Avoid farming Slave I, is long farming and it doesn't work well as a starter either as a reinforcement (Ahsoka annihilates it). Imperial TIE fighter is a good ship to unlock the zeta mat challenge, easy to farm, fast, and works really well with Executrix. Use your galactic war tokens to purchase ships.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    You will need Slave 1 at some point to unlock HMF. You might as well start farming it early contrary to what NK0_1AI recommended - even if the ship itself isn't very strong.
  • Waqui wrote: »
    You will need Slave 1 at some point to unlock HMF. You might as well start farming it early contrary to what NK0_1AI recommended - even if the ship itself isn't very strong.
    I think I'm not expressed correctly. Of course, you need Slave 1 for HMF, as well as Hound's Tooth, IG's, and Xanadu.
    What I was trying to express is that you shouldn't focus on Slave 1 as a key ship for your arena team and unlocking zeta mats challenge. I spent a lot of resources on getting Slave 1 ASAP because I've read a lot of great things about it. I remember feeling really disappointed the day I used it for the first time in the arena. It was literally annihilated the 5 times.
    Now I'm farming it on the fleet store, but I don't remember the last time I used it.
  • crzydroid
    7252 posts Moderator
    NK0_1AI wrote: »
    Waqui wrote: »
    I think I'm not expressed correctly. Of course, you need Slave 1 for HMF, as well as Hound's Tooth, IG's, and Xanadu.
    What I was trying to express is that you shouldn't focus on Slave 1 as a key ship for your arena team and unlocking zeta mats challenge. I spent a lot of resources on getting Slave 1 ASAP because I've read a lot of great things about it. I remember feeling really disappointed the day I used it for the first time in the arena. It was literally annihilated the 5 times.
    Now I'm farming it on the fleet store, but I don't remember the last time I used it.

Slave I used to be an amzing ship, but yeah, nowadays you can't really get off its best ability. If they reworked it to make that ability not start on cooldown, I think a lot more people would run it again.

Someone said Sun Fac is not a very good tank, and while he may not be as good as HT or Hyena Bomber, I think it's still good as it's pretty much a constant taunt as long as the opponent is buffed. I think the geos could be a great starting fleet until you can get HT.
  • crzydroid wrote: »
    NK0_1AI wrote: »
    Waqui wrote: »

Slave I used to be an amzing ship, but yeah, nowadays you can't really get off its best ability. If they reworked it to make that ability not start on cooldown, I think a lot more people would run it again.

Someone said Sun Fac is not a very good tank, and while he may not be as good as HT or Hyena Bomber, I think it's still good as it's pretty much a constant taunt as long as the opponent is buffed. I think the geos could be a great starting fleet until you can get HT.
    That was me. I was thinking a stronger tank for the level 4-5 hard nodes on ship battles. For me, when I was clearing them, HT was crucial. Sun fac does well in arena with the other three bugs.

I started focusing on ships at level 70. Like others have said, its much easier to be competitive in fleet arena than squad, for those all important crystals. In a newer shard, it always seemed that the best hounds tooth(mine usually) won.
  • I really need to farm some dark side ships for Executrix and those zeta mats. It’s gotta be my next priority after my current farms.

I’m at lvl 81 and only have one decent DS ship, Imperial Tie Fignter. Ugh.