This is really bothering me...

Replies

  • Nikoms565
    14109 posts Member
    D4n040798 wrote: »
    Of course it matters, because if you haven’t read my previous post, Luke did NOT stop being a Rebel IN Return of the Jedi, but rather BETWEEN Return of the Jedi AND The Force Awakens. Having saved the Rebels from Jabba the Hutt, gone with the Rebels to Endor on their mission to deactivate the shield generator, AND celebrated the Empire’s defeat with the Rebels, he is 100% a Rebel while also 100% a Jedi. Don’t you understand that?

    No, he means what happened in "real life" Star Wars doesn't matter, because the tags are not a statement of lore. They are a tool to balance a holotable game in a cantina.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

    In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Ultra
    7709 posts Moderator
    D4n040798 wrote: »
    Don’t any of you believe that good balance in this game can’t exist without good balance in the community? People have quit playing SWGOH because they don’t like or want Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker without a Rebel tag. Therefore that puts the community at an imbalance which isn’t good for the game at all.
    sounds like these players were on the edge and were looking for reason to leave
  • D4n040798 wrote: »
    Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker was the reason why they on edge and left.

    I wonder if all 54 of his posts are from this one thread.
  • StarSon
    5123 posts Member
    D4n040798 wrote: »
    Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker was the reason why they on edge and left.

    I wonder if all 54 of his posts are from this one thread.

    There is at least 1 that is not. The 'load more replies' thing has been broken for a while though, so can't see farther back than a few weeks.
  • TheMaster12345
    607 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    D4n040798 wrote: »
    Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker was the reason why they on edge and left.

    False. There would have been other things that made them leave besides JKL not getting a rebel tag.
  • D4n040798 wrote: »
    But Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker was the sole reason for people quitting the game.

    Also false
  • D4n040798 wrote: »
    But I’ve seen more people quit because of Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker than for any other reason.

    That may be what you see but not what many other people see.
  • Kyno
    30022 posts Moderator
    D4n040798 wrote: »
    But I’ve seen more people quit because of Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker than for any other reason.

    unless you are doing an exit interview for every player who leaves the game, this is what the kids are calling "anecdotal" these days.

    generally speaking, players leave because they want to leave, its more likely due to length of time playing or personal things than any direct 1 thing in game. they leave because they were going to and some just needed a thing to point to.
  • Nikoms565
    14109 posts Member
    D4n040798 wrote: »
    But I’ve seen more people quit because of Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker than for any other reason.

    I have not seen that given as a reason and I have seen several players quit. You joined the forums 4 months ago - I joined them 4 years ago.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

    In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • D4n040798 wrote: »
    You’re overlooking the fact that he helped save the Rebels from Jabba the Hutt on Tattooine and the fact that he went to Endor with the Rebels in search of the shield generator and the fact that he was partying with the Rebels after the defeat of the Empire, therefore that makes him a Rebel while he was also a Jedi Knight.

    ESB, Yoda: “Not yet. One thing remains. Vader … Vader you must confront. Then, only then, a full Jedi you’ll be"

    ROTJ, Luke (to Palpatine, after beating Vader) :“Never! Never will I turn to the dark side! You have failed, Palpatine. I am a Jedi, as my father was before me.”

    Luke named himself a jedi at Jabba's palace, sure. Still, he wasn't yet according to his master.

    So while I disagree with your statement that gameplay reasons are not good reasons, the lore reason you're claiming is debatable.

  • crzydroid
    5682 posts Moderator
    edited October 2020
    Starslayer wrote: »
    D4n040798 wrote: »
    You’re overlooking the fact that he helped save the Rebels from Jabba the Hutt on Tattooine and the fact that he went to Endor with the Rebels in search of the shield generator and the fact that he was partying with the Rebels after the defeat of the Empire, therefore that makes him a Rebel while he was also a Jedi Knight.

    ESBROTJ, Yoda: “Not yet. One thing remains. Vader … Vader you must confront Vader. Then, only then, a full Jedi you’ll will you be"

    ROTJ, Luke (to Palpatine, after beating Vader) :“Never! I'll Never will I turn to the dark side! You've have failed, Palpatine Your Highness. I am a Jedi, as like my father was before me.”

    Luke named himself a jedi at Jabba's palace, sure. Still, he wasn't yet according to his master.

    So while I disagree with your statement that gameplay reasons are not good reasons, the lore reason you're claiming is debatable.

    Sorry, I don't want to be that person, but....I'm that person.
  • Starslayer
    857 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    crzydroid wrote: »
    Starslayer wrote: »
    D4n040798 wrote: »
    You’re overlooking the fact that he helped save the Rebels from Jabba the Hutt on Tattooine and the fact that he went to Endor with the Rebels in search of the shield generator and the fact that he was partying with the Rebels after the defeat of the Empire, therefore that makes him a Rebel while he was also a Jedi Knight.

    ESBROTJ, Yoda: “Not yet. One thing remains. Vader … Vader you must confront Vader. Then, only then, a full Jedi you’ll will you be"

    ROTJ, Luke (to Palpatine, after beating Vader) :“Never! I'll Never will I turn to the dark side! You've have failed, Palpatine Your Highness. I am a Jedi, as like my father was before me.”

    Luke named himself a jedi at Jabba's palace, sure. Still, he wasn't yet according to his master.

    So while I disagree with your statement that gameplay reasons are not good reasons, the lore reason you're claiming is debatable.

    Sorry, I don't want to be that person, but....I'm that person.

    This person be you should.

    My mistake for trusting internet ;) Not ESB/ROTJ though. This one is all mine ^^
  • TVF
    29592 posts Member
    Doesn't matter
    The CGDF is recruiting. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Sebek
    2008 posts Member
    D4n040798 wrote: »
    I’m not talking about the game, I am merely correcting those who contradict me by saying Luke is not a Rebel in Return of the Jedi and telling them the truth.

    Maybe the Cantina Keeper doesn't know that
    Join the Dark Side, We Have Cookies.
    Join the Light Side, We Have Wookies.
  • TheMaster12345
    607 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    The only thing I'm going to acknowledge is that @D4n040798 has been very persistent in being incorrect so I'll give him an A for effort but an F for accuracy.
  • Kyno
    30022 posts Moderator
    D4n040798 wrote: »
    Game balance shouldn’t be a bigger weight than lore, since that’s where they got the idea for this game in the first place. You ever hear the phrase ‘see the world not as it is, but as it should be’? Well I am looking at the game not as it is now, but as it should be.
    Kyno wrote: »
    D4n040798 wrote: »
    I’m not the one who needs common decency, CG needs it more than I do. There is no good balance with Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker if they don’t make him a Rebel just like in the movie, I want to tell them that what they did was a mistake and it really upset many players.

    ....

    This is a game about a game, that is played inside a cantina, inside the SW Universe.

    ...

    This is not a story game, or any other reason why lore should trump game balance.

    If it was it would be very limited or boring as certain Jedi/Sith would be unbeatable by much if not all of the other characters. So literally any SW game out there has always had game balance ahead of lore, even if they handled it differently, like not introducing certain characters.
  • I don’t think his point is that far fetched. Everyone likes to throw the “it’s a holofable simulation” thing out there, but most things in the game are fairly consistent with lore. Especially around faction tags.
    They almost always make sense from a lore perspective as well, other than a few edge cases where it’s debatable (Asajj as a sith for example).

    It’s relatively rare where a toon doesn’t have tags that would undoubtedly apply from a lore POV.

    I get that it is what it is and that game balance is the reason. But I also don’t think that he is that far out in left field to question it.
  • Kyno
    30022 posts Moderator
    kello_511 wrote: »
    I don’t think his point is that far fetched. Everyone likes to throw the “it’s a holofable simulation” thing out there, but most things in the game are fairly consistent with lore. Especially around faction tags.
    They almost always make sense from a lore perspective as well, other than a few edge cases where it’s debatable (Asajj as a sith for example).

    It’s relatively rare where a toon doesn’t have tags that would undoubtedly apply from a lore POV.

    I get that it is what it is and that game balance is the reason. But I also don’t think that he is that far out in left field to question it.

    They are?

    You do realize that many of the game modes have us pitting toons against situations they were not even in, or teams of toons that are both LS and DS, or even the same person standing next to themselves......

    There are less lore based things in this game than there are lore based, when you really look at it.

    You are right, and most here are not giving him any flack for asking, but just as it's not out of left field to ask, it's also not out of left field to accept that it's a game about a game and that in game balance is important and in some cases more important than adding lore.

    Note: I said adding lore, because he still follows lore with the tags he has, they just didnt add more that would also fit within lore. They have never broken the following of lore when making any kit, they have limited the view, sure, but they have never in any way put a tag on that didnt make sense from a lore perspective.
  • TVF
    29592 posts Member
    kello_511 wrote: »
    kello_511 wrote: »
    I get that it is what it is and that game balance is the reason. But I also don’t think that he is that far out in left field to question it.

    The way he is doing it, screaming like a two year old, is though

    I agree that it won’t get anywhere, but making the counter-point that “lore means nothing at all in this game” isn’t very accurate either.

    It's not that it means nothing, it means that it takes a backseat to game balance. It's still in the car.
    The CGDF is recruiting. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • I would just like to point out that by JKLS not being a GL, he can be part of a GLs team. That's not a bad thing.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

    In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nikoms565
    14109 posts Member
    D4n040798 wrote: »
    I was upset about that because I thought he would be the first Galactic Legend from outside the Sequel trilogy but turns out he isn’t. When will we see Galactic Legends from the Prequel and Original trilogies?

    In a different thread....
    In game name: Lucas Gregory - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

    In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • This game is like playing with action figures. Barbie is Barbie, but you can play with Barbie Farmer, Barbie Rebel, Barbie Jedi or Granny Barbie.
  • D4n040798 wrote: »
    All I’m saying is they should choose who gets what tags based more on lore and less on game balance if this is a Star Wars game.
    If devs were thinking like that we wouldn't have a game at this point.
  • Waqui
    8419 posts Member
    D4n040798 wrote: »
    All I’m saying is they should choose who gets what tags based more on lore and less on game balance if this is a Star Wars game.

    No, they shouldn't. You said it yourself:
    This is a Star Wars game. Not a Star Wars book of lore.
  • kello_511 wrote: »
    kello_511 wrote: »
    I get that it is what it is and that game balance is the reason. But I also don’t think that he is that far out in left field to question it.

    The way he is doing it, screaming like a two year old, is though

    I agree that it won’t get anywhere, but making the counter-point that “lore means nothing at all in this game” isn’t very accurate either.

    None of us said lore means nothing at all. Most of us said game balance is more important than lore but lore is still considered if game balance isn't a problem (which it almost always is).
Sign In or Register to comment.