GL Luke vs SLK - Absolutely Crazy

Prev1
nabokovfan
535 posts Member
edited October 2020
Well, I got my first taste of this in arena today. A non-ult, not even fully zeta'd GLLuke under JKL can absolutely dismiss the SLK matchup. I see reports of this with SEE vs. SLK as well where SLK can solo them. The luke battle is literally 20-30 seconds and there isn't anything he can do to even have a chance.

I'd like to see CG comment and review this in some way. We need confirmation that "this is what is expected" in terms of the investment into GLs and what happens when the next one comes out. As someone who spent over 6 months grinding one character and getting it done and then literally if GA or Arena or TW there's absolutely nothing anything on my roster can do with that. Nothing.

As mentioned, we need to see something from CG about this and about whether or not it is an issue in their eyes or not. I can suggest one option which would be to allow SLK to ignore taunt and have some kind of a chance at actually fighting in the battle. We can talk about how SLK weakens and kills off ~75% of dark side allies and how that needs to be looked at to give him some chance of strategic versatility.

Here is a video of the battle in question, it's about a 20-30 second battle and literally just hit auto and it's not even close.

https://youtu.be/rfAmVFIcCXo

Edit: it matters not what lead is used, here's another squad. I updated the title for clarity. https://youtu.be/M72zyI0Pra4
Post edited by nabokovfan on

Replies

• RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Good to see kylo get beat and have a bit of a counter. I don’t think any gl should solo another gl but this seems ok to me.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • I really don't see an issue here.
  • @RandomSithLord @RAYRAY having a counter is fine. Being destroyed full auto in 20 seconds isn't a counter. It's a massacre. It's like SEE being obliterated by a single character. Again, the point is.... We need CG to comment and let us know if this is the standard and to be expected or something not expected.

You're talking about a non-ult GL vs a maxed out fully relic 7 squad, even the 6a mods would not mean anything in a 20-30 second battle. That's just bad.
  • And yet both of the old GLs are currently capable of beating the new ones (especially Rey vs JML lead and SLKR vs SEE). Did anyone expect the old GLs to hold reliably against the new ones?
  • And yet both of the old GLs are currently capable of beating the new ones (especially Rey vs JML lead and SLKR vs SEE). Did anyone expect the old GLs to hold reliably against the new ones?

SLK solo vs. SEE is a matter of the kit needing two enemies, that's just a really bad design oversight.

Rey vs JML, is it 20 seconds and is non ult rey competitive at all against a maxed luke?
  • RandomSithLord
    2325 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    nabokovfan wrote: »
    And yet both of the old GLs are currently capable of beating the new ones (especially Rey vs JML lead and SLKR vs SEE). Did anyone expect the old GLs to hold reliably against the new ones?
    Rey vs JML, is it 20 seconds and is non ult rey competitive at all against a maxed luke?
    Should she be? Ultimate is a key part of the previous GLs' kits and probably will be for the new ones too.

• This is absolutely working as intended, the point is so that one gl isn’t enough. This is to incentivise spending to get another one. Good practical business sense from cg.
    797-722-718
  • This makes me feel so much better about the game. Thank you op for posting these.
  • Slkr can be beaten without a GL easily enough now. Don't see the issue. It's going back to rock paper scissors which is far more fun.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    Borat wrote: »
    arena is finally making you use your roster instead of one team and climb like it was with GAS. Every GL has multiple counters, some more efficient and easier to use than others, but even F2P have these teams. you now have to start working for your rank and no one is safe. Discord Arena shards are having to deal with this too as there is an influx of new players who don't have GLs but have enough counter teams to climb into the top 10. This is how it should be. I for one do not want to go back to a shard full of GAS teams.

SEE beats JML, JML Beats SLK, SLK beats SEE, Rey beats JML and SLK, and the list goes on. Rock Paper Scissor, Lizard, Spock.......

y1kwilg9nsw4.jpg

I love it. We are may finnaly get the diversity in arena I hear the Community asking for but don't really want.

Also I didn't watch the video past the 1st battle, I am guessing somewhere in there Luke team battles SLKR.
    OP a suggestion, post a video of what you are complaining about not a bunch of extra stuff, or at least give the video time point that has the info.
    Here is a video of the battle in question, it's about a 20-30 second battle and literally just hit auto and it's not even close.

A non-ult, not even fully zeta'd GLLuke under JKL can absolutely dismiss the SLK matchup.

Video starts with luke vs rey comp on manual. So you lost me there.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    I have never wanted diversity. I want an easy climb at work for the most valuable resource in the game, thank you very much.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • There are plenty of F2P players who have GL, or will unlock one in the next few months though.
    I got Kylo F2P in May, my friend unlocked Rey F2P about 2 months ago, and a few more in my guild will unlock SEE F2P in a few months. And our guild isn't even particularly strong, we only get 9 stars in DSTB currently.

SEE in particular is totally attainable for F2P players. So I don't think GL are really driving the F2P players away...
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    I get what you mean TVF however, F2P are leaving the game because there is no way for them to get those resources and make their rosters better.

1) Anecdotal
    2) The game has always been like this
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    1) No, anyone claiming something like "F2P are leaving the game because of X" has no basis for stating it. You're guessing that people are leaving because of something you personally don't like.

2) Dominant arena metas have been around forever, not just the last 2 years. If you are a day 1 player and don't realize this then you are a day 1 player that has never paid attention to arena.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    Players are always leaving the game (f2p or p2p) and new players are coming into the game. It has been like this for a long time and I have seen various reasons, the main reason for leaving being boredom and a GL or panic farm release just pushed them over the edge to make the final decision.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    1) No, anyone claiming something like "F2P are leaving the game because of X" has no basis for stating it. You're guessing that people are leaving because of something you personally don't like.

2) Dominant arena metas have been around forever, not just the last 2 years. If you are a day 1 player and don't realize this then you are a day 1 player that has never paid attention to arena.

Missed my point again. Let me try one last time to explain #2. but first, #1, this is not just speculation, this is exact answers from current and prior guild mates, arena shard mates, fleet shard mates and forum posts so yeah, there is some data there but I am not tracking it and I am sure it is a small percentage but any loss is a loss and no business wants to see that at all. but again, not my point,

The very definition of anecdotal, thank you.

#2, I was talking about the inability to get the meta. Only recently you are required 15 toons to get 1 for the meta. The beginning of this game was purchase the shards for the 1 or 2 toons coming out, pair them with current farmable toons or wait until the new toons are farmable. The requirements have far surpassed the original meta requirements of players, and if you asked someone 3 years ago if they would spend $1000 to get the most current meta team (and I am probably low balling with GL Rey and SLK) they would call you mad. I spent maybe $50 to get the Chaze meta and i thought i was crazy for that.

I'm spending far less right now in order to keep up, because I'm far better at managing my resources. I had to spend $30 on a gear pack to get GAS. Now I have all the gear I need for JML without spending at all, and almost enough to add SEE right after.
    MY POINT IS: the diversity is good for the game, will keep some of those on edge of leaving because they can't compete for valuable resources in arena and feel they are falling so far behind that they will never catch up, and maybe, just maybe, with the changes CG may be making (hope!) this game will be as popular and exciting as it used to be. I welcome the competition in arena now and so does most of my arena shard.

And my point continues to be that this is nothing new, people have *always* complained about not being able to keep up unless CG makes changes. And you can welcome the competition but I don't have time for it so I don't. I don't have time to battle from the 200s to 1, I barely have the time to do it from the 30s. Diversity means falling way farther, and I don't want it.
  • TVF wrote: »
    I have never wanted diversity. I want an easy climb at work for the most valuable resource in the game, thank you very much.

Bingo
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    Again, the post is about diversity in arena, teams countering GLs both new and old, some with ease, not about players leaving the game. No kidding people leave and come for various reasons, this being one of them but not the point of this post. I should have known better than to mention that part because as usual on this forum, people hyper-focus on one sentence or statement and miraculously ignore the major point of the post, causing the conversation to go way off the rails.

Diversity is good. the current situation in arena is WAI as i believe, except maybe SLK shouldn't be able to steamroll SEE but ultimate may change that, we shall see, but the new GLs should not just dominate the prior GLs and there should be counters for F2P or those not going for GLs for whatever reason. That was my point to the OP not the **** conversation around why people leave the game as it is an argument that cannot be won as no one has the real data for that. My bad for even saying it, I should have known better than to open that can of worms.

As decided by whom?
    CG is the only one that can say if that is true or not.
    What does it really matter if it steam rolls it or beats it decently?
    I see this as forcing decisions as more people unlock SEE and get into TW/GAC planning for their rosters
  • Steps to the dumbing of society.
    1. Watch Video
    2. Abandon creatively thinking for oneself
    3. Believe the video shows the only possible truth
    4. Post on social media complaining about the unjustness of the video
    5. Infect others who now proceed the same way