What Am I Even Doing Here?

Prev13
Hello Holotable Heroes,

Hard to believe it's only been a few days - not even a week yet - since CG_Doja_Fett was announced on the forums.

It's been exciting and seeing the passion of the players is not unexpected at all, but it is a treat and a reminder of what games mean to so many of us, as well as their power to bring us together.

More than anything, I know I have my work cut out. There will be a ramping up process as we get to know each other and my role crystalizes. We're gonna have some fun together, and inevitably, I'm sure I'll have my setbacks and disappointments. It just comes with the territory. We're all human (at least I can't disprove otherwise. I've given blood and it seems to be mostly organic compounds in there), and part of my function is to communicate with a vast number of people. Communication is wonderful, weird, necessary and tricky.

If you've ever been in a relationship, you know communication is vital, not always easy, and sometimes downright difficult. But, at the end of the day, it's usually the thing that either brings people together or drives them apart. This is a function and responsibility I acknowledge, and given there have been questions about my role, I'll take a stab at answering some of them -- and also would like to set some expectations. In the long run, I hope it helps us understand each other better in the moments when I don't have answers, can't have answers, or have undesirable answers. It's going to happen.

Do I take this personally?
The good things, yes. The bad things, no. If I'm able to help people out, make the game more fun, or provide some insight that has a positive effect, I genuinely feel good about it. As far as the bad times, there are just too many variables that contribute to my ability to always deliver happy news, and if I let that bother me, it'd detract from the more important things we're trying to do. These variables range widely, from IP-protection to legal, or things being too early in the dev cycle to emergencies that steal my focus; not to mention hundreds, if not thousands of things going on behind the scenes. As a player, behind the scenes endeavors that can't be expressed in detail means very little. I get that. It's frustrating for both of us.

I'll do the best I can, which will definitely not be good enough for everyone. I know what I've gotten myself into, and I'm here for it. Just don't ever attack my pet parrot, Wampa. I'll never forgive you for that. Also, my pet parrot, Wampa, is definitely NOT a thing I just made up to deflect the haters' attention when they're looking to hurt me as deeply as possible. He is very real (nope) and his name is Wampa (pretty cool name for a parrot, honestly) and he is beautiful (in my mind).

What is my role?
I crafted a lengthy list of all my duties, but it seems more suited for a resume. So, I'll simplify things and say ideally I'm spending half my day on the forums or otherwise trying to engage the players, and the other half helping the Comms team with formulating long-term visions and goals. Or I'm trying to track down answers/clrification on issues and that takes time. There's a lot going on, but I'm fortunate to be part of a team and not just out here on an island trying to balance a juggling act by myself. Some days the split won't look as 50/50 (engagement-vs-behind the scenes duties) as I'd like. Some days I'll cry as a I eat tacos.

Although, if you're eating a taco how bad can things be?

What else?
Well, I'm aware that things I do now may bite me later. Precedents I set now will be expectations in the future. Promises I make will be thrown in my face if they don't manifest. So, there's a balancing act between saying what I want in the moment and then having to deal with mobs wielding pitchforks as future-Doja_Fett. I expect to be ridiculed at some point. I'll be called a shill or a sham. It's just how it is. But, I'll do my best. Some days will be great. Others will be tough. The inherent task is such that I'll never to be able to please everyone. However, I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for me. As human beings, we all face hardships in life and bad days at work. I'm fortunate to be able to work at a video game studio on a Star Wars game, and I'm thankful for the opportunity.

Just please, PLEASE, whatever happens, never attack Wampa, my VERY REAL pet parrot. Doing so would exploit my greatest weakness and wound me beyond belief.

This is the way.

Replies

• TVF
    36526 posts Member
    What I thought of upon reading the thread title.

tenor.gif?itemid=12456942
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Your wampa is in our hands. If you don't deliver changes in GC in 2 weeks, you can say goodbye to it.
    flu62v8j3mkl.png
  • Thanks for the clarification! Excited to hear from you down the road and hopefully have a better relationship with the CG Devs. Thanks! Good luck
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    If you've ever been in a relationship,

Wrong forum, kiddo
    I expect to be ridiculed at some point. I'll be called a shill or a sham.
    Anyone calling you a shill for CG clearly doesn't know what a shill means
  • MaruMaru wrote: »
    Your wampa is in our hands. If you don't deliver changes in GC in 2 weeks, you can say goodbye to it.
    flu62v8j3mkl.png

7kywkme2s5xh.png
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    also post a picture of your wampa
  • Yes post a picture!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Ultra wrote: »

Now who's on the wrong forum.....

• Kyno wrote: »

Got 'em lol
  • This weird place...this place with communication and messages and understanding...it’s new to me in this SWGOH world...it’s...strange....
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

tenor.gif
  • So will you handle forum posts at all or is that Crumb?
  • Somebody please post a (safe for work) pic of a parrot with a Wampa arm, and I'll make it my profile.
  • Ravens1113 wrote: »
    This weird place...this place with communication and messages and understanding...it’s new to me in this SWGOH world...it’s...strange....

A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

Joint effort.

Joint effort.

Cool. Thanks for the Dev responses so far. On behalf of most of the community it’s safe to say we appreciate that!
  • Great too have you here Doja .be good to have some good communication again.
    Good luck with everything you are going to have to deal with.
  • Somebody please post a (safe for work) pic of a parrot with a Wampa arm, and I'll make it my profile.

Why not practise using photoshop and make one yourself ;)
  • RJ__Brando
    1500 posts Moderator
    9oyww59d8qqw.gif
    Anyone else immediately think of this bird? No.... Ok I'll see myself out
  • My only request is very simple. If you "can't" say something, just say "I can't say something." One of the most frustrating aspects is the utter lack of communication, or just anything acknowledging "Hey, we hear you, but we just can't talk about that right now."

For example, not a single word had been said about Galactic Challenges since the feedback post in August. That is over 6 weeks. That was when the run time was moved from 7 days to 3. The feedback was heard and ... implemented poorly. The understanding was that GCs were SOMETHING TO DO EVERY DAY. That's how it was billed, we waited half a year for it. We asked for them run for a shorter amount of time, with the implied understanding that they'd still run one right after the other. This was logical. However, no, CG basically says "GCs will run for 3 days, but won't come back for those 7 day increments..."

On Reddit, a post essentially said "CG is like an evil genie - they give you exactly what you ask for without applying any logic to it."

If this is the way it is, just say it. Or at least acknowledge that things are being noticed.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    My only request is very simple. If you "can't" say something, just say "I can't say something." One of the most frustrating aspects is the utter lack of communication, or just anything acknowledging "Hey, we hear you, but we just can't talk about that right now."

For example, not a single word had been said about Galactic Challenges since the feedback post in August. That is over 6 weeks.

Actually Doja already said in another thread that GC's are one a week on the current Fri-Sun schedule for now.

A thread repeating that would be a good idea though since most people will have missed that @CG_Doja_Fett
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH

nkgqb8qg8h0g.png

Welcome to the club - here is your present!
  • WoodyVuko wrote: »
    Somebody please post a (safe for work) pic of a parrot with a Wampa arm, and I'll make it my profile.

nkgqb8qg8h0g.png

Welcome to the club - here is your present!

Oh. My...YESSSS!

It's...it's beautiful.
  • t6cxoiia26b8.jpg
    Love SWGOH and want to keep it great! YouTube: Reality Skewed Gamers

It's nothing compared to the first two but I did make a "pic of a parrot with a Wampa arm"

jyhmdongl1bi.png

• Finity wrote: »
    t6cxoiia26b8.jpg

Woodys looks good, but doesn’t make a good profile pic as it loses it luster being small. This one though....*chef’s kiss*
  • Finity wrote: »
    t6cxoiia26b8.jpg

This. Is. Epic.
  • That’s sweet!
  • All this communication. Let us hear if there will be a dead silence in weeks to come.
  • TVF wrote: »
    My only request is very simple. If you "can't" say something, just say "I can't say something." One of the most frustrating aspects is the utter lack of communication, or just anything acknowledging "Hey, we hear you, but we just can't talk about that right now."

For example, not a single word had been said about Galactic Challenges since the feedback post in August. That is over 6 weeks.

Actually Doja already said in another thread that GC's are one a week on the current Fri-Sun schedule for now.

A thread repeating that would be a good idea though since most people will have missed that @CG_Doja_Fett

Yes, I saw that by going to his profile and viewing replies and wading through them. Caused me to change my verb to "had" there.