What Am I Even Doing Here?

Replies

• I'm going to miss the kyno account cause it sounds like the same job but just with a cg tag.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Chmilk2 wrote: »
    I'm going to miss the kyno account cause it sounds like the same job but just with a cg tag.

I will still be here, but it will be nice for the community to have a more direct path to the Answers we all try to get.
  • Hey @CG_Doja_Fett this vision of yours is just human and wonderful. I extremely like your entry so farm ngl.

I wonder however, how is this community engagement going to work out: should we even try tagging you, or you dont need assistance to the important topics? I ask this bc there is a 107 pages long (and counting) megathread and we could really-really use some official statement there.

Like it was stated before, we would be perfectly happy with a "The first rule of the Fight Club applies to this topic too", or something similar. But this silence is sort of deafening.

Ty for any help you can provide,

• Can you make my dreams come true, and be able to play again friends in some type of friendly arena? 🙃
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    All this communication. Let us hear if there will be a dead silence in weeks to come.

They dont dare break the sound of silence?
  • @CG_Doja_Fett

Thank you for all the engagement. This is amazing in terms of what we’ve received over all the years. I’ve been playing now for about 3 years and I’ve always been learning about Star Wars as I play. I feel a lot of characters in the game underrepresented in terms of their abilities and need Drastic overhauls that would change how we see the characters in game and few of those characters are Mace Windu, Kit Fisto, Phx Squad actually featuring the entire Phx Squad including characters like AP-5, Veteran Commander Rex, and Agent Kallus, and the deadly Empire characters and Assassins that pursued them, for example.

I know of course you guys have our own plans for the game but I have some cool ideas and Kits for characters and new characters tags. Let me know if you’re interested

Your friendly gamer-

Sio
  • Mace and Kit definite need a rework
  • I’m a current college student studying Computer Science, taking all video game design classes in upcoming years. What are some reasonable goals if I one day wanted to join the SWGoH team? Also, what do you think the chances are of us getting more separatist droids are?
  • I’m a current college student studying Computer Science, taking all video game design classes in upcoming years. What are some reasonable goals if I one day wanted to join the SWGoH team? Also, what do you think the chances are of us getting more separatist droids are?

Yeah about separatist droids... there is only 5. Can we at least get 1 more?

• Welcome CG_Doja_Fett!
  • Ultra wrote: »
    also post a picture of your wampa

That sounds dirtier than intended.

• So, I'll simplify things and say ideally I'm spending half my day on the forums or otherwise trying to engage the players, and the other half helping the Comms team with formulating long-term visions and goals. Or I'm trying to track down answers/clrification on issues and that takes time. There's a lot going on, but I'm fortunate to be part of a team and not just out here on an island trying to balance a juggling act by myself. Some days the split won't look as 50/50 (engagement-vs-behind the scenes duties) as I'd like.

Precedents I set now will be expectations in the future. Promises I make will be thrown in my face if they don't manifest. So, there's a balancing act between saying what I want in the moment and then having to deal with mobs wielding pitchforks as future-Doja_Fett. I expect to be ridiculed at some point. I'll be called a shill or a sham. It's just how it is. But, I'll do my best. Some days will be great. Others will be tough. The inherent task is such that I'll never to be able to please everyone.

Thank you @CG_Doja_Fett , you answered my question! A few questions and comments, partially to help me, but also to help you:

1) Are you mostly unidirectional in your communication (and otherwise you jump into random forum threads), or do you have a more structured approach to bidirectional dialogue? Do you have a preferred method of intake for us to communicate to you? And what should we send to you instead of other CG people? Such as: questions about strategy/ priority, bug reports (because reporting them through the EA Support method goes nowhere until I Reddit tag a dev), questions about status of old bug reports, complaints or criticisms of major game modes or game mechanics (e.g., this GL is garbage, or that release is a nickel-and-dime loot box scam, or this TW matchmaking is great, etc.)

2) 100% agreed on being careful about setting expectations. But please understand two things about that:

First, I already have low expectations because of the pattern of what I interpreted as broken promises over the past 3 years. I have seen new community managers like yourself start strong and then leave after a while, with long periods of silence in between inane puzzles that I care less about than knowing when are we getting a fix for the buttons disappearing in TW/GA//TB/arena bug (for example). If anything, even a simple "Ack" response is better than no response. The best expectation you can set with me on a regular basis (call it a SLA) is, when can we expect an answer from the devs on priority and level of effort (if not estimated delivery date).

Second, I would only call you a shill or a sham if you aren't honest with me. There is a difference between being unintentionally inaccurate and lying / concealing the truth, and while both have the same outcome (we get a bad answer), right now I care more about fixing the second part (the lies) before tackling the first part (unintended inconsistency). Saying something like "we identified a need for more communication" is a lie. Instead, saying something like "we heard you, we screwed up, and we're trying to fix it" is honesty, and I appreciate that a lot more than the lie. I would rather remain a lifetime customer of someone who admits their mistakes rather than someone who covers them up or shifts the blame, because then I know they are serious about learning from mistakes and they value accountability, which creates great products in the long run.

Thank you for patiently listening.

I took a very weird and different path to get here. So, the point is that there are multiple ways to get into the industry. What is it you want to do? I'm posing that question more so you can ask yourself.

Maybe you already have an idea, but if not, I'd encourage you to follow what you're passion about or interested in doing. That may sound cliche, but I think it equates to being happier in the long run.

I was raised mostly poor, so I was comfortable with hard times. That allowed me to follow things I felt interested in or passionate about, without having to focus on money. The "starving artist" life for me was just like my regular life, but with the luxury of being able to do the kind of creative endeavors I wanted. I get many people aren't comfortable with that, but people are resilient, and despite stressing over rent or bills, I had good friends and a creative outlet that allowed me to get through tough situations.

You're off to a good start. I'd apply to internship programs and build out a portfolio if that applies to what you want to end up doing. So, that seems like a good reasonable goal to start with.

As far as Separatists Droids? I'm not sure when we'll revisit that era of Star Wars, so I can't say. I personally feel like other factions require a little love first (even though I dig the Sep Droids), but none of that is up to me.
  • @CG_Doja_Fett

Thank you for all the engagement. This is amazing in terms of what we’ve received over all the years. I’ve been playing now for about 3 years and I’ve always been learning about Star Wars as I play. I feel a lot of characters in the game underrepresented in terms of their abilities and need Drastic overhauls that would change how we see the characters in game and few of those characters are Mace Windu, Kit Fisto, Phx Squad actually featuring the entire Phx Squad including characters like AP-5, Veteran Commander Rex, and Agent Kallus, and the deadly Empire characters and Assassins that pursued them, for example.

I know of course you guys have our own plans for the game but I have some cool ideas and Kits for characters and new characters tags. Let me know if you’re interested

Your friendly gamer-

Sio

Keep up the creative thinking! If you ever want to end up in design, practicing kit design (even if it's just for yourself) is a really good way to build up some skills. Maybe run them by your friends and get feedback as well. Don't be afraid to have someone criticize your work. If it's done with good intent, it'll make ya better.
  • So, Doja, can address the Echo Basic Omega ability that does jack all because nobody in the game gives the stat he needs to even use it? We need this addressed because it's been in the void for too long.
  • Yeah Doja, i think the clones need a rework badly, thanks for the responses! It is really nice to see CG caring about the community a little more.
  • Yeah Doja, i think the clones need a rework badly, thanks for the responses! It is really nice to see CG caring about the community a little more.

I don't think they need a rework. I think we just need to specify or redo that Echo Basic Ability Omega because it says it can be triggered only if he has Critical DAMAGE Up, which nobody gives as an actual buff except characters like BB8's Illuminated Destiny, Biggs' basic on a CRIT, Starcks (but only to empire), Greef (but only for BH), Mando (but only to another BH), Wicket (but only to another Ewok) and look at the theme. A lot of factions have that, yet the clone don't unless you count YODA stealing the buff from the enemy team lol

Serious, it's fucc'd and I'd like this addressed since it's been YEARS now.
  • MKIceman wrote: »
    So, I'll simplify things and say ideally I'm spending half my day on the forums or otherwise trying to engage the players, and the other half helping the Comms team with formulating long-term visions and goals. Or I'm trying to track down answers/clrification on issues and that takes time. There's a lot going on, but I'm fortunate to be part of a team and not just out here on an island trying to balance a juggling act by myself. Some days the split won't look as 50/50 (engagement-vs-behind the scenes duties) as I'd like.

Precedents I set now will be expectations in the future. Promises I make will be thrown in my face if they don't manifest. So, there's a balancing act between saying what I want in the moment and then having to deal with mobs wielding pitchforks as future-Doja_Fett. I expect to be ridiculed at some point. I'll be called a shill or a sham. It's just how it is. But, I'll do my best. Some days will be great. Others will be tough. The inherent task is such that I'll never to be able to please everyone.

Thank you @CG_Doja_Fett , you answered my question! A few questions and comments, partially to help me, but also to help you:

1) Are you mostly unidirectional in your communication (and otherwise you jump into random forum threads), or do you have a more structured approach to bidirectional dialogue? Do you have a preferred method of intake for us to communicate to you? And what should we send to you instead of other CG people? Such as: questions about strategy/ priority, bug reports (because reporting them through the EA Support method goes nowhere until I Reddit tag a dev), questions about status of old bug reports, complaints or criticisms of major game modes or game mechanics (e.g., this GL is garbage, or that release is a nickel-and-dime loot box scam, or this TW matchmaking is great, etc.)

2) 100% agreed on being careful about setting expectations. But please understand two things about that:

First, I already have low expectations because of the pattern of what I interpreted as broken promises over the past 3 years. I have seen new community managers like yourself start strong and then leave after a while, with long periods of silence in between inane puzzles that I care less about than knowing when are we getting a fix for the buttons disappearing in TW/GA//TB/arena bug (for example). If anything, even a simple "Ack" response is better than no response. The best expectation you can set with me on a regular basis (call it a SLA) is, when can we expect an answer from the devs on priority and level of effort (if not estimated delivery date).

Second, I would only call you a shill or a sham if you aren't honest with me. There is a difference between being unintentionally inaccurate and lying / concealing the truth, and while both have the same outcome (we get a bad answer), right now I care more about fixing the second part (the lies) before tackling the first part (unintended inconsistency). Saying something like "we identified a need for more communication" is a lie. Instead, saying something like "we heard you, we screwed up, and we're trying to fix it" is honesty, and I appreciate that a lot more than the lie. I would rather remain a lifetime customer of someone who admits their mistakes rather than someone who covers them up or shifts the blame, because then I know they are serious about learning from mistakes and they value accountability, which creates great products in the long run.

I'm still figuring it out. My goal is to be able to accomplish the most "good" I can (to the degree I can) for the most important needs and concerns of the community, while also trying to be available for other areas of discussion (such as career tips, what's your favorite [insert noun here] etc). So, while I'd like to be involved in longform, flowy conversations with everyone, it's impossible. There's still posts I'm tagged in that I haven't even seen yet because time is a thing. So, I think that probably looks more unidirectional than I'd like. At least for now. If I find a way to be more effective whilst having things flow both ways, I'm open to changing.

When I can (like the other day with the dev response to Scrybe's video), I'll track down answers. That takes time, but is worth it for the benefit of the entire community, not just a few people. Other times, I'll reply because I have the answer already and it's a quick, easy reply. Other times, I'll never see a post or won't engage.

I understand your attraction to honesty. Nobody likes to feel like they're not being dealt with in an earnest manner. Myself included.

• mp160pz5vkvs.png

Wow...I didn't realize my shoulders were that broad. Nice watch, tho.
  • MKIceman wrote: »
    So, I'll simplify things and say ideally I'm spending half my day on the forums or otherwise trying to engage the players, and the other half helping the Comms team with formulating long-term visions and goals. Or I'm trying to track down answers/clrification on issues and that takes time. There's a lot going on, but I'm fortunate to be part of a team and not just out here on an island trying to balance a juggling act by myself. Some days the split won't look as 50/50 (engagement-vs-behind the scenes duties) as I'd like.

I'm still figuring it out. My goal is to be able to accomplish the most "good" I can (to the degree I can) for the most important needs and concerns of the community, while also trying to be available for other areas of discussion (such as career tips, what's your favorite [insert noun here] etc). So, while I'd like to be involved in longform, flowy conversations with everyone, it's impossible. There's still posts I'm tagged in that I haven't even seen yet because time is a thing. So, I think that probably looks more unidirectional than I'd like. At least for now. If I find a way to be more effective whilst having things flow both ways, I'm open to changing.

When I can (like the other day with the dev response to Scrybe's video), I'll track down answers. That takes time, but is worth it for the benefit of the entire community, not just a few people. Other times, I'll reply because I have the answer already and it's a quick, easy reply. Other times, I'll never see a post or won't engage.

I understand your attraction to honesty. Nobody likes to feel like they're not being dealt with in an earnest manner. Myself included.

Right and I can speak for most when I say that any bit of hope is better than the death of silence. Even if you can't give the answer right away, saying "I'll check" or "I'm not sure, but I'll ask" is massive compared what we had. Hell, even if it's "I'm sorry, but they don't plan on doing that" and it disappoints, it's STILL an answer.
  • DaarthBrewer
    1954 posts Member
    edited October 2020

Wow...I didn't realize my shoulders were that broad. Nice watch, tho.

..Shoulderpads.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    It would be nice if this topic isn't used as a crying wall for any topic and each can be addressed in their own. Everyone knows what the various issues are, while some are more contraversial, most would agree on the existence of the main ones. This scatteredness also makes it hard to follow if Doja addressed them. Let's not abuse our brand new toy (Doja) by dropping everything, everywhere and over tagging only to have him broken after a while.
  • I don't post here much but welcome to Galaxy of Heroes.

* If you talk too much people stop listening, that's the first piece of advice.

First thing you should be doing imo is bringing MobileGamer and Urzatron back into the fold, there's some veritable distance between the ex-game changers and CG that need some bridges built between.

After that there are quite a lot of Quality of Life changes the game urgently needs eg. simmable HAAT, squad loadouts for fleets, mod organization tools etc. etc.

Get stuck in and good luck
  • GremreaperRD
    4 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    I got a few ideas for mods to improve our lives. A filter to find any level of mods. Like level 1. So we don't have to scroll down to find them. Then a way to upgrade a group of mods example e1 mod to any level we want. Like e1 to e12. It would be nice so select all my e1 and upgraded them all at the same time. Same for each e-a. Last a new mod challenges for only farming 6dot mods.

@CG_Doja_Fett
    Post edited by GremreaperRD on
  • Thanks for your post Doja! Honestly I'm personally happy that you are making an extended effort to communicate to the playerbase. I'm not as active on the forums as I used to be, but your posts and comments give me more reason to get on than before. Please keep up your work.

I know it might be weird to ask for, but are you considering trying to re-extend the olive branch to youtubers? And if you do, would you only work with the "mainstream youtubers" or would you try to talk to as many youtubers as you can to help spread not only information, but excitement in the game?