Matchmaking - will it ever be fixed???

For something that is supposedly an integral part of the game - will you ever fix matchmaking? I am sick of being paired with people 750k-1.25mm gp higher than me at least half of whom have GL’s. I’m at the point where I’m lucky to win 1 round each bracket and usually because the other person didn’t bother to set defenses so it defaults to the mishmash.

This is the same type of crap that goes on with tw but as a microcosm - I’m at the point where I’ll either just not bother to set defenses or just quit the game in frustration because the players care more than the devs ever will.

Replies

• Given that matchmaking has been working with the same algorithm for about 1.5 years now, have you considered that if you are still experiencing such differnces, it's your roster management that needs to be fixed?
  • Originally it was just gp based so they have changed the original algorithm.

The introduction of GL’s has massively made that formula obsolete. And even without GL’s we are far ahead in gameplay of where the system is.

Yes, there are randomly bloated rosters that can be matched up fairly against a more slim lineup. But no amount of roster management will make even a 1mm disparity in gp on average. Even accounting for extra unusable toons if only half of those teams are top notch that’s 4 or 5 more squads than I am going to be able to field on either offense or defense.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Unfortunately you are incorrect, many have managed their rosters to do just fine, and even great in GAC, with and without GLs.

Honestly GP doesnt matter, if you build up teams you can use to counter squads you are likely to see.
  • Your roster is top-heavy. You should have paid more attention to the way matchmaking works if you wanted to do well in GAC.

https://swgoh.gg/p/556619254/characters/
  • In any single random match you’re correct, GP disparity does not matter especially.

However, over the course of many events the bigger and deeper roster of the person with an extra 3-5 relic teams or 750k+ gp is going to be at a larger advantage on average.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    In any single random match you’re correct, GP disparity does not matter especially.

However, over the course of many events the bigger and deeper roster of the person with an extra 3-5 relic teams or 750k+ gp is going to be at a larger advantage on average.

Not really, if a player is "needing" those extra teams, and they play against someone who has "all the correct counters" and knows how to use them, they lose.

If both players "know what they are doing" then the player with more depth is using less of it.

You can look out on the Forum discussing how some of the top players in each division are the more focused rosters that "shouldnt be winning in that division" this is because they built exactly what they need as far as counters. They take it to an extreme, but the principle works at any level.

Yes in theory the more depth you have the more options, but the way scoring works the more you rely on having depth, the more points you give up that a smart roster will pick up.
  • It can be changed countless more times from here. But it's not broken, so there's nothing to fix.
  • In any single random match you’re correct, GP disparity does not matter especially.

You have 36 G13s. If you're facing teams with 50-60 G13s then the roster bloat is in your top 80 characters. Zetas on characters like Leia, Ezra, Paploo, Zam and Kanan aren't helping...they are all in your top 80 GP and zetas add a lot of GP. Also, you have all the FO geared up for SLKR unlock but no SLKR. If you were piling gear on them before you had all the necessary gear saved up, then that caused you a lot of bloated GP in your top 80 too.
    Yes, there are randomly bloated rosters that can be matched up fairly against a more slim lineup.

People are behind the times with the concept of "roster bloat". Basically, anything outside of your top 80 characters doesn't matter. The new "roster bloat" is having a bloated top 80.
  • The fact that the OP basically has the requirements for SLKR without actually having a GL isn't doing him any favors.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    And is entirely OP's own doing, not CG's.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH