I hate grand arena mods

Prev1
Why can’t I modify my mods in grand arena? It’s stupid honesty, I don’t know who am I gonna face, and I have to stick with the mods I entered grand arena for the entire 3 rounds. I’ve seen yt videos in which mods can be modified, but why can’t my mods be modified in grand arena. Please CG stop blocking grand arena moding.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    It's part of the mode. TW and GAC have your roster locked when you enter.

If you feel your needing to chnage mods that much, it probably means you need to work more on your mod depth.

Much like building 1 or 2 really good teams wont do everything in game, only a few sets of good mods will not make the cut either
  • Is there any way we can at least "fix" our mods before Player Lock like we can in TW by exiting and re-joining? For example I noticed after I joined grand arena I hadn't moved mods back over to KRU who had none. I subsequently fixed before event and matchmaking but because mods lock when you enter and no way to exit now I am stuck with no mods on KRU the entire three rounds.

I saw explanation of mods locking on enter so player can then switch mods again to play a raid or TW event without messing up his GAC mods which makes sense. But why not give us the option of exiting and rejoining like in TW and locking on rejoin in case we catch an error we want to fix before "Player Loclk"?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Caballero wrote: »
    Is there any way we can at least "fix" our mods before Player Lock like we can in TW by exiting and re-joining? For example I noticed after I joined grand arena I hadn't moved mods back over to KRU who had none. I subsequently fixed before event and matchmaking but because mods lock when you enter and no way to exit now I am stuck with no mods on KRU the entire three rounds.

I saw explanation of mods locking on enter so player can then switch mods again to play a raid or TW event without messing up his GAC mods which makes sense. But why not give us the option of exiting and rejoining like in TW and locking on rejoin in case we catch an error we want to fix before "Player Loclk"?

The dev team have stated that matchmaking starts when a player joins, so it's not as simple to add a feature where we can leave and rejoin, as that would mess with matchmaking.
  • Why can’t I modify my mods in grand arena? It’s stupid honesty, I don’t know who am I gonna face, and I have to stick with the mods I entered grand arena for the entire 3 rounds. I’ve seen yt videos in which mods can be modified, but why can’t my mods be modified in grand arena. Please CG stop blocking grand arena moding.

I think the alternative would be worse.

Depending on what you are suggesting you could either remod on the defensive phase of each round remod at anytime.

The problem with the first is that your opponent would also be doing the same so, you really wouldn't know what they have either so planning wouldn't be much easier.

The problem with the 2nd is that you could save one team worth of God mods and just refuse them on every offensive team. And so could your opponent. So basically removes mod depth as a requirement.

The last problem is th assess t with either option, you could remove all your mod sc from your top 80 characters before matchmaking to be matched with weaker opponents and then put them back on while setting defense or attacking.

The mod lock was put in place to prevent players from tricking the matchmaking. You can not like it but it has a good reason to be that way.
  • Merailla
    89 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    There are so many things that could/should be improved in GAC mods.

1st of all, when you look up your opponent from GAC menu, it should show roster that you are locked with and mods that you are locked with. I had many matchups, where opponents demodded their important toons during def setup phase..Also when you see r7 GAS in their roster and then there is g11 GAS on D...

Also ppl asked for ability to rejoin GAC the same way they can rejoin TW for maybe a year?

Also the game says player lock in :(time missing) for over than a year and it does not work like that anymore (it used to)..so..Nothing done with it for over a year, that speaks for itself..

Btw, i like the idea of being able to remod durring each setup phase. (I saw the issues with it (GP matchmaking etc..) but that can be easily solved..(dont count mods to GP for example?)
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    roster
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Merailla wrote: »
    There are so many things that could/should be improved in GAC mods.

1st of all, when you look up your opponent form GAC menu, it should show roaster that you are locked with and mods that you are locked with. I had many matchups, where opponents demodded their important toons during def setup phase..Also when you see r7 GAS in their roaster and then there is g11 GAS on D...

Also ppl asked for ability to rejoin GAC the same way they can rejoin TW for maybe a year?

Also the game says player lock in :(time missing) for over than a year and it does not work like that anymore (it used to)..so..Nothing done with it for over a year, that speaks for itself..

Btw, i like the idea of being able to remod durring each setup phase. (I saw the issues with it (GP matchmaking etc..) but that can be easily solved..(dont count mods to GP for example?)

Then you just have people with really bad mods matched against those with good mods and complaining about that. Currently six dot mods add more gp that low level 5 dot mods so it at least takes mods into account a little. If you remove mods from the matchmaking, you will have more wild variations in players with really bad mods matched against players with god mods.

And my guess is that if you need to remod during defense, you probably don't have a lot of mod depth. So under your suggestion, you would be more likely to face an opponent that has vastly superior mods.

• Merailla
    89 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    mod depth has nothing to do with it, different counters need different modding, thats all. Also 6dot mods with 10 speed is still garbage compared to 5dot mod with 25 speed. (mod GP does not give you good matchup)

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Merailla wrote: »
    mod depth has nothing to do with it, different counters need different modding, thats all. Also 6dot mods with 10 speed is still garbage compared to 5dot mod with 25 speed. (mod GP does not give you good matchup)

If you need to remod for every fight or every player you meet, then yes roster depth is your problem.
  • Merailla
    89 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    No its not...for example oponent has SLKR - you want to use that GAS fives chewie thing to counter it, so you want your GAS to be hitting hard and to have low protection. Next match, your opponent does not have SLKR and you want to set your GAS on D and mod him for 130k+ protection... How does that mean mod depth problem?

And I`m not trying to complain here, I have won every single GAC match this season...

So under your proposal, could you use the same mod twice on offense? Would that even be fair?

Under the current rules mods are counted so someone that has 480 six dot mods on their top 80 are less likely to be matched against someone that has very few 6 dot mods.

This does not guarantee mod equality nor should it. It is up to the player to decide what mods to slice. Of course RNG is a factor but as you roll more mods, it becomes less of a factor. And with the 6 dot slicing still limiting speed to 5 rolls, it becomes less of a factor (two rosters with 480 6A mods will have less variation on speed than two rosters of 480 6E mods).
  • Merailla
    89 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Never said anything about using 1 mod twice......

Just like, remod roster during setup phase, save it, and be locked with it for that match...

It would just add more strategy to GAC..nothing else
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    No its not...for example oponent has SLKR - you want to use that GAS fives chewie thing to counter it, so you want your GAS to be hitting hard and to have low protection. Next match, your opponent does not have SLKR and you want to set your GAS on D and mod him for 130k+ protection... How does that mean mod depth problem?

And I`m not trying to complain here, I have won every single GAC match this season...

I get it, and I'm not trying to say you did, or trying to argue.

This is all part of the game mode design. You are not playing "arena" 3 times over, you are not meant to be able to drill down to that level of detail on each opponent. Everyone is in the same boat, and that's the point.

It's more like a blind bet, you make the call early on that you can beat all opponents with your roster set up this way. Then its locked and you go in and fight the fights. Some of those choices are who you plan to use as a counter and who you will set on D, and there is some wiggle room, but that's the game mode. It's all pre-strategy, then action.

This would be a very different game mode if you could remod each match. Not better or worse, just played very differently.

• It would change the game mode, yes, I agree with that.. I`m just saying it would be more fun for me and I would like it that way..nothing else..Just sharing my opinion on forum, you know..will think twice next time before doing so..
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    It would change the game mode, yes, I agree with that.. I`m just saying it would be more fun for me and I would like it that way..nothing else..Just sharing my opinion on forum, you know..will think twice next time before doing so..

No need, it's all in the vein of conversation. Nothing wrong with that.

Also, some of that could also be considered roster depth, a deeper roster can lock in choices like what you describe better or with less worry.

A game mode like you described would allow players to develop less but more hyper focused rosters. The general name of the game is to push for more development in all areas.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    I like when people state an opinion and don't like when people have a different opinion.
  • TVF wrote: »
    I like when people state an opinion and don't like when people have a different opinion.
    It was more about not understanding than not liking other opinions..
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Just sharing my opinion on forum, you know..will think twice next time before doing so..

shrug
  • Aaaaaand welcome on my ignore list
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    mod depth has nothing to do with it, different counters need different modding, thats all.

Pick a counter then. It's part of the strategy of GAC.

Yeah that's roster depth that is the problem. Basically you need the depth to counter SLKR without messing up your mods for several battles.

If you face SLKR on defense often, it may be worth modding for that. But if you had enough depth to have other counters available, it wouldn't be an issue.
  • Well, I have like 3 different SLKR counters available (some share some toons), so I don`t have problems in GAC with it. And roster depth for example in div 2 is completely irrelevant, since you need at least 14 teams and then you are left with g10 toons..the same goes for early div 1 (my case). Also there are only few top tier teams that can counter DRM and better teams, that having, I dont know, say, relic jawas, will not help you at all..

Another think I want to point out is, that roster depth is not considered in the matchmaking process..
    Well, I have like 3 different SLKR counters available (some share some toons), so I don`t have problems in GAC with it. And roster depth for example in div 2 is completely irrelevant, since you need at least 14 teams and then you are left with g10 toons..the same goes for early div 1 (my case). Also there are only few top tier teams that can counter DRM and better teams, that having, I dont know, say, relic jawas, will not help you at all..

Another think I want to point out is, that roster depth is not considered in the matchmaking process..

Maybe roster quality is a better term then. Depth is considered up to your top 80 toons. If you have high quality in your top 80, then if you face a SLKR, you should be fine.

In early div 1 (4.5-5 mil gp), you likely won't face more than one GL unless you have a ton of bloat. I'm right near the 5 mil point and have yet to see a GL in gac. Though, with being 5 toons left to relic for see, I'm sure I will start seeing them soon enough. But I'll also have one soon enough too.

So your reason for wanting to move mods is so you can counter SLKR if needed. But you have 3 counters and are in the lower part of Div 1 where you likely won't see GLs or if you do, you'll only need to worry about 1.

The story just doesn't seem all that consistent.
  • SLKR was just an example..I give up
    SLKR was just an example..I give up

Why don't you use an example that is actually relevant to your experience.
  • Merailla
    89 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    It was relevant, for me, GAC is about finding best usage of your roster against current opponent, now every opponent is different, some have GLs, some dont.. Being able to adjust mods to fight the current opponent would provide you the opportunity to use your roster the best possible way.
    It was relevant, for me, GAC is about finding best usage of your roster against current opponent, now every opponent is different, some have GLs, some dont.. Being able to adjust mods to fight the current opponent would provide you the opportunity to use your roster the best possible way.

What's your definition of early division 1. You either have more than 5 mil gp (at which case you should be able to counter a GL without switching mods), a very top heavy roster and no GL (poor roster choices), or you aren't seeing more than the occasional GL in gac (in which case changing the whole way a game mode works just in case you see a GL is not worth it.)

And the idea of moving mods every two days just for a counter team is super annoying. I hate moving mods and rarely do so. I get them where I want and leave them there. Easy enough.

I also look at my opponents stats for important characters when I decide what defense to set. Having them able to change those stats would take away the strategy of putting a team on defense that my opponent will be unlikely to beat.

So your suggestion would mean more guessing on setting defense and more moving mods. No thanks.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

That is the change from what it is and what you propose.

GAC is about making the best setup from your roster that you can work with, in multiple cases (3 to be exact), and working with that in those matches.

Once you can adjust mods and possibly gearing toons in the way you suggest, the game mode changes to just a single match, with time to make an in depth plan and strategy, more like TW, but for singles.

As we agreed earlier, this is less of an improvement, and more of a change to make it a different game mode. Some would like and some would not, but it would no longer be the current game mode we have.
  • I also look at my opponents stats for important characters when I decide what defense to set. Having them able to change those stats would take away the strategy of putting a team on defense that my opponent will be unlikely to beat.
    They are able to do so in current game. You can remove your DR mods after you join GAC and they will have no clue what your DR speed is...

I also look at my opponents stats for important characters when I decide what defense to set. Having them able to change those stats would take away the strategy of putting a team on defense that my opponent will be unlikely to beat.
    They are able to do so in current game. You can remove your DR mods after you join GAC and they will have no clue what your DR speed is...

Ok but I rarely see that happen. Because it is not practical to remove mods and pay credits for that first just that purpose.

Would I be for a change where if you look at your opponent while in gac, it shows what's locked in? Absolutely. But for the purposes of my planning, there is usually not enough change to affect my decisions.

But your change would just make that issue worse not better.