Ugh 4th GA battle in a row where opponent has 2x GL and I have 1. Stop it!

Replies

• Hats off to you if you’re beating all of those with your roster.

I am and thanks my friend. 81bnxh62th59.gif

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Strumpoo wrote: »
    There you go, now you can tell me I shouldn't have reliced and/or leveled up so many characters. :)

https://swgoh.gg/p/891184269/characters/

. The system in play should NEVER handicap someone who enjoys ALL facets of the game. Some of these guys just have trouble seeing that but I'm sure we are doing much better for our guilds in TW & GEO TB's then they are. Best of luck to you building that sweet roster of yours my friend.

Should a players choices be reflected in their game play? especially in a game mode where they face others players choices?
  • Kyno wrote: »
    There you go, now you can tell me I shouldn't have reliced and/or leveled up so many characters. :)

. The system in play should NEVER handicap someone who enjoys ALL facets of the game. Some of these guys just have trouble seeing that but I'm sure we are doing much better for our guilds in TW & GEO TB's then they are. Best of luck to you building that sweet roster of yours my friend.

Should a players choices be reflected in their game play? especially in a game mode where they face others players choices?

Sure they should and for the most part they are currently. But like all things that age, the MM system should adapt as they age. But let me ask you this. Shouldn't a toons GP reflect their actual "power"? Because as it sits now, it definitely doesn't and it's the cause of most of these issues. That's all I'm saying. GP is such an old indicator of a toons value in today's game. Was ok back when designed, but definitely not now.

You’re beating 56 waves in LSTB?

With this? https://swgoh.gg/p/466819464/characters/

Ok.

You’re beating 56 waves in LSTB?

With this? https://swgoh.gg/p/466819464/characters/

Ok.

I didn't see the LS Geo part of your post my apologies.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

Sure they should and for the most part they are currently. But like all things that age, the MM system should adapt as they age. But let me ask you this. Shouldn't a toons GP reflect their actual "power"? Because as it sits now, it definitely doesn't and it's the cause of most of these issues. That's all I'm saying. GP is such an old indicator of a toons value in today's game. Was ok back when designed, but definitely not now.

No I don't think CG should be in charge of updating and keeping direct tabs on the "power value" of toons.

I think the way it works now with the extra toons that are required to upgrade (some of which are not used in any event with MM), and the generous GP give to GLs, is good enough to weight a roster higher due to the higher investment. If you are hitting those numbers without a GL, I think its fair that your choices landed you in that situation. We have also seen that non GL counters exist and if a player wants to do better in any mode with matchmaking, they could build up those toons (only 5 vs the 12-14 per GL).

No I don't think CG should be in charge of updating and keeping direct tabs on the "power value" of toons.

So you don't think the people in charge of making the system be in charge of updating it as the game grows? Yeah sorry, but that's probably the most dumbest thing I've seen you post yet. Take care.

GP is the second iteration of power ratings on toons. They had a power rating before that, which was generally much lower than GP is across the board.

As Kyno said, GLs don’t come as stand alone chunks of 50K GP. They have 12 - 14 toons beneath them that comfortably make up another 250K GP (as you’ll know, given you’ve nearly finished SLKR’s requirements).

So, for someone in your position of being almost there for your first or next GL, the current matchmaking can be brutal. That’s why some of the other guys advocate hoarding everything so that you never have to fight someone with the bulk of a GL’s baggage without the GL themselves. I myself don’t hoard, I apply the gear as I get it.

But your very question about the true power of a toon does beg a question, using your all r7 NS as an example:

Your NS has approximately 30K more GP than my NS squad, which only has relics on AV and Daka. What are you getting out of that additional 30K?
    - mine still trips people up in TW/GAC if placed on defence from time to time. (Not very often, admittedly)
    - Mine can beat GG squads if kept for offence (you’ve won a lot of mirrors with yours on offence)
    - Mine is a comfortable 4/4 in phases 1-3 of TB. I’m probably getting 4/4 in phase 4 around 67% of the time. (I imagine your’s gets 4/4 all the time)
    - Mine completes tier 1 of the assault battle (I’ve seen you post that you no longer bother with tier 2, so no difference there)

With the gear and relic material you’ve used to take them all to r7, I feel you could have invested it differently to give you a stronger roster with next to no drop in performance.

I totally understand why you (and others) feel penalised for developing a roster to your own choosing with other game modes in mind, but managing the effective power of your roster is the game. Relicing toons without considering the effect it has is effectively not engaging with one of the biggest aspects of the game.

GP is the second iteration of power ratings on toons. They had a power rating before that, which was generally much lower than GP is across the board.

As Kyno said, GLs don’t come as stand alone chunks of 50K GP. They have 12 - 14 toons beneath them that comfortably make up another 250K GP (as you’ll know, given you’ve nearly finished SLKR’s requirements).

So, for someone in your position of being almost there for your first or next GL, the current matchmaking can be brutal. That’s why some of the other guys advocate hoarding everything so that you never have to fight someone with the bulk of a GL’s baggage without the GL themselves. I myself don’t hoard, I apply the gear as I get it.

But your very question about the true power of a toon does beg a question, using your all r7 NS as an example:

Your NS has approximately 30K more GP than my NS squad, which only has relics on AV and Daka. What are you getting out of that additional 30K?
    - mine still trips people up in TW/GAC if placed on defence from time to time. (Not very often, admittedly)
    - Mine can beat GG squads if kept for offence (you’ve won a lot of mirrors with yours on offence)
    - Mine is a comfortable 4/4 in phases 1-3 of TB. I’m probably getting 4/4 in phase 4 around 67% of the time. (I imagine your’s gets 4/4 all the time)
    - Mine completes tier 1 of the assault battle (I’ve seen you post that you no longer bother with tier 2, so no difference there)

With the gear and relic material you’ve used to take them all to r7, I feel you could have invested it differently to give you a stronger roster with next to no drop in performance.

I totally understand why you (and others) feel penalised for developing a roster to your own choosing with other game modes in mind, but managing the effective power of your roster is the game. Relicing toons without considering the effect it has is effectively not engaging with one of the biggest aspects of the game.

Great points and they even strengthen my case regarding the GP values so thanks. It's time GP is updated for today's game. I don't expect our want them to redo the entire system at all, just make it actually make sense. A r5 Captain Phasma is treated as being "better" than a r3 Wat Tambor when everyone knows that isn't the case. It's time for the changes to be made.

Great points and they even strengthen my case regarding the GP values so thanks. It's time GP is updated for today's game. I don't expect our want them to redo the entire system at all, just make it actually make sense. A r5 Captain Phasma is treated as being "better" than a r3 Wat Tambor when everyone knows that isn't the case. It's time for the changes to be made.
    If it strengthens your case, it also backs up the assertion that misapplying these important materials will cause you to suffer in certain game modes.
  • But like all things that age, the MM system should adapt as they age.
    Rather ironic to use this as an excuse for players who do not adapt as they age. We have had almost two years now to adapt to GA(C) matchmaking my GP and plenty of opportunity to grow and re-balance our rosters accordingly. Those of us who have done so have prospered.
    But let me ask you this. Shouldn't a toons GP reflect their actual "power"? Because as it sits now, it definitely doesn't and it's the cause of most of these issues. That's all I'm saying. GP is such an old indicator of a toons value in today's game. Was ok back when designed, but definitely not now.
    And how exactly would they define a toon's power when it is so heavily influenced by dynamic context such as squadmates, modding, opposing team composition, opposing team modding and whether used on offense or defense, many of which cannot be known at matchmaking time much less at character design time?

This last TW I beat a highly relic'd 154k GP Darth Revan squad with a minimally relic'd 112k Darth Revan squad. Would you assign both of those squads the same power? What if my squad had been the one on defense?

Imperfect though GP may be, accurately measuring combat power is ridiculously complex at best and.impossible at worst.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

So you don't think the people in charge of making the system be in charge of updating it as the game grows? Yeah sorry, but that's probably the most dumbest thing I've seen you post yet. Take care.

Making a character vs characterizing the usefulness of a toon are 2 different things. They would never be able to predict this accurately, and I think their time is better used than operating a system like that.

The GP system is based on what parts you put in a toon. It's a literal measure of a players choices, that is what they should be looking at.
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    But like all things that age, the MM system should adapt as they age.
    Rather ironic to use this as an excuse for players who do not adapt as they age. We have had almost two years now to adapt to GA(C) matchmaking my GP and plenty of opportunity to grow and re-balance our rosters accordingly. Those of us who have done so have prospered.
    But let me ask you this. Shouldn't a toons GP reflect their actual "power"? Because as it sits now, it definitely doesn't and it's the cause of most of these issues. That's all I'm saying. GP is such an old indicator of a toons value in today's game. Was ok back when designed, but definitely not now.
    And how exactly would they define a toon's power when it is so heavily influenced by dynamic context such as squadmates, modding, opposing team composition, opposing team modding and whether used on offense or defense, many of which cannot be known at matchmaking time much less at character design time?

This last TW I beat a highly relic'd 154k GP Darth Revan squad with a minimally relic'd 112k Darth Revan squad. Would you assign both of those squads the same power? What if my squad had been the one on defense?

Imperfect though GP may be, accurately measuring combat power is ridiculously complex at best and.impossible at worst.

Mind posting your Swgoh.gg account please do I can see how someone adapts? Lol man that's all I've done since playing this game. How else do you think one plays the game 2 metas behind and still can compete for the most part? I'd love to see your work of art please do share.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Mind posting your Swgoh.gg account please do I can see how someone adapts? Lol man that's all I've done since playing this game. How else do you think one plays the game 2 metas behind and still can compete for the most part? I'd love to see your work of art please do share.

I don't see how you adapted to the GAC MM system which is what's being discussed here. If you had you would probably perform better in GAC.
  • Jedi_Wedge
    47 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    From the way i see it, whales and kraken need to feel good about their purchases otherwise what's the point of buying to get ahead? So the "algorithm" would occasionally find them an opponent which they can blast into oblivion. I get matched too often with players with GLs because of my "older" player roster (high GP) in GAC and im still earning my first GL to boot. The grind is slow but hey i play it for free.
  • Jedi_Wedge wrote: »
    From the way i see it, whales and kraken need to feel good about their purchases otherwise what's the point of buying to get ahead? So the "algorithm" would occasionally find them an opponent which they can blast into oblivion. I get matched too often with players with GLs because of my "older" player roster (high GP) in GAC and im still earning my first GL to boot. The grind is slow but hey i play it for free.
    There are hundreds of F2P who own at least one GL by now. Several with 2.
  • And some with even 3. So this "Whales need to have their fun with GLs" argument is getting very old and kind of baseless.
  • Waqui wrote: »

I don't see how you adapted to the GAC MM system which is what's being discussed here. If you had you would probably perform better in GAC.

You wouldn't even know the battles I've been through in GAC dude. You go and try to beat a double GL owner while not even having one yourself dude and then come talk to me about adapting because I have. I've had many question how I'm doing what I'm doing and it's called heart. I've had guys messaging me wondering what the hell I'm even doing in their bracket and come out on top. I don't have MANY key and vital toons that I didn't think were vital back when I started and still make it work. So yeah, I've adapted quite well actually and still do well in GAC so you my friend are dead wrong. And even though I'm doing well when going thru all that I can STILL say without question or doubt that this system needs work. I'm let you get back to putting the blinders on now. Take care
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »

You wouldn't even know the battles I've been through in GAC dude. You go and try to beat a double GL owner while not even having one yourself dude and then come talk to me about adapting because I have. I've had many question how I'm doing what I'm doing and it's called heart. I've had guys messaging me wondering what the hell I'm even doing in their bracket and come out on top. I don't have MANY key and vital toons that I didn't think were vital back when I started and still make it work. So yeah, I've adapted quite well actually and still do well in GAC so you my friend are dead wrong. And even though I'm doing well when going thru all that I can STILL say without question or doubt that this system needs work. I'm let you get back to putting the blinders on now. Take care

I'm not criticizing your skill or effort but seeing your roster I disagree that you adapted well to the MM algorithm. You have quite a bit of relic bloat on characters that would do their job without it. I wouldn't call bloating your roster like that "adapting well to the MM".

It's great that you can beat double GL owners without having a GL yourself. Congratulations. However, that's besides the point and your claim. If you had adapted better to the MM system, you might have won more than 4 of your 9 most recent rounds simply by being matched with slightly weaker rosters/opponents.
  • Waqui wrote: »
    Waqui wrote: »

I'm not criticizing your skill or effort but seeing your roster I disagree that you adapted well to the MM algorithm. You have quite a bit of relic bloat on characters that would do their job without it. I wouldn't call bloating your roster like that "adapting well to the MM".

It's great that you can beat double GL owners without having a GL yourself. Congratulations. However, that's besides the point and your claim. If you had adapted better to the MM system, you might have won more than 4 of your 9 most recent rounds simply by being matched with slightly weaker rosters/opponents.

Oh ok I can dig that. I normally don't try to do the "featured" feats but decided to go ahead and try them this time being that it's NS (favorite faction obviously) themed so I know for a fact I lost a few matches attempting them. Using them on offense is a guaranteed 5 banner loss. It's no biggie and I lost a few close ones from not being exactly ready for 2 fleets. But I don't complain or **** about the losses or try to blame GLs for the reason I lost.I take them as lessons and just to learn from them. But I know one thing, with me getting up there in top end bloat I need to learn better banner efficiency of I'm to win more. Like I've always said before, I'm not nor will I ever be wanting easy wins from the MM. But there are adjustments that can be made to reduce the number of completely lopsided matches I get. Luckily they don't happen that often but they do occasionally.
  • Jedi_Wedge wrote: »
    There are hundreds of F2P who own at least one GL by now. Several with 2.

Yes, that was my mistake. I made a lot of wrong decisions back then, especially in the gearing part of certain toons, i was torn between going for GL rey or GL kylo. Should've focused on one. Tried gearing each faction required toons till i realized i'm no whale. Hahaha! now im being punished with High GP and halfbaked toons. So a lot of whales(or cunning F2Ps) are feeling good when matched against me. I just rant that them whales are making me miserable in GAC to make me feel good.
  • I won't go into how you've bloated your roster. Others have done that plenty.

But to say that you can't win because they have two GLs and you have one is just a lie.

You have the toons to potentially counter two GLs.

Let's say the opponent has kylo and Rey

You have kylo and can mirror and vader, thrawn, wat +2 can take out Rey. Or depending on the comp, you could use thrawn lead on kylo and kylo on Rey.

If they have jml and Rey you can counter Rey with kylo and jml with Darth revan with wat.

If they have see, kylo crushes him.

I could go on. But the point is that you have the characters to counter two GLs. Will you always win? No but it will likely be decided by efficiency as it should be.
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    Have you tried getting a 2nd GL?
  • StarSon wrote: »

Wouldn't do any good. Then his complaint would be that he's facing 3 with only 2.
  • StarSon wrote: »

Wouldn't do any good. Then his complaint would be that he's facing 3 with only 2.

Nah, I am facing 3 GL this round with only 1 GL.

So, working as intended, lol.

Btw, all this talk about the "poor choices" is ****. I built up my NS team as soon as relics released. A LONG TIME before GL toon were even a pipe dream. Same with BH.

So because I liked a team and I wanted to build them up, I get totally hosed later when CG decides to release characters that totally change everything about the game in a way that isnt even close to the effect of any toon ever? Gl's are so much more powerful than anything they have ever released! Revan x10 kinda power lol.

Now, when I chase to catch up and get the new super meta teams I am punished even harder because my gp grows? I see.

If they are going to punish me for playing the game the way I want to many months ago, then why dont they offer me a way to take my relics off old characters and re-relic the new op toons?

I hate the "you must hoard" **** aspect of this game and everyone that says it is how I have to play. It is stupid. I dont play a game to sit and practice for a guest appearance on "Hoarders". How boring.

Unfortunately, it has come to that in this game's "strategy" lol.

Now I sit on piles of Zeta, omega, gear, etc... since it isn't "worth it" to actually gear toons and play the game. Instead I can be satisfied with my increasing hoard of gear, I guess.. weeee.

• Strumpoo
    90 posts Member
    edited November 2020

There cannot be many people with 6.6M GP, 85 g13 characters that only have 1 GL.

If they adjusted matchmaking to make sure you only ever faced single GL owners, you’d be the overwhelming favourite every single time. I’m sure you don’t really want that, do you? Matchmaking that is grossly unfair but in your favour?

Taking toons to g13 and into relic level has a large impact on your GP. You need to make sure that you’re getting enough of a return from that investment.

Your full relic 7 NS squad, for example, is a whack of GP for little gain. Even if they complete tier 2 of their Assault Battle, you’d need to complete it every month for 2 years to claw back the investment of relic materials. Ditto your g13 BH. G13 on Bossk is enough for tier 2 of that event (so I’m told).

You and I have nearly identical GP, yet I’ve got 21 fewer g13 toons than you. I’m currently 4 toons away from being JML ready, so I’ll have my 3rd GL and will still be 15 or so g13 toons behind you.

GLs have totally changed the game. I think I’ve taken one toon to relic level (Wat) since January that wasn’t a direct GL or JKL requirement. You have been less focused than that, it seems.

Yes, I do think I should have an EXTREME advantage over someone like you since I chose to actually build out a complete roster instead of just nitpicking the top 5 teams.

I think someone who built an entire roster should definitely have an advantage.

Kinda like an army that chose to build tanks, ships, planes, and infantry fighting an army that just built tanks.

The way they have it set up now you dont need to bother building an army, you just skip it and build nukes..
  • Strumpoo wrote: »
    StarSon wrote: »

Btw, all this talk about the "poor choices" is ****. I built up my NS team as soon as relics released. A LONG TIME before GL toon were even a pipe dream. Same with BH.

So because I liked a team and I wanted to build them up, I get totally hosed later when CG decides to release characters that totally change everything about the game in a way that isnt even close to the effect of any toon ever? Gl's are so much more powerful than anything they have ever released! Revan x10 kinda power lol.
    So you built up your NS and BH while DR and later GAS 501 was the meta? Who would have expected that when your resources were allocated to B-tier teams (even pre-GL times) your choice would come back to haunt you even more when they release the 3rd and 4th set of meta (while you didn't even prioritize the previous 2)?
    If they are going to punish me for playing the game the way I want to many months ago, then why dont they offer me a way to take my relics off old characters and re-relic the new op toons?
    How about they are rewarding players that choose to put aside their pet projects to keep a competitive edge?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Now, when I chase to catch up and get the new super meta teams I am punished even harder because my gp grows? I see.

I hate the "you must hoard" **** aspect of this game and everyone that says it is how I have to play. It is stupid. I dont play a game to sit and practice for a guest appearance on "Hoarders". How boring.

Now I sit on piles of Zeta, omega, gear, etc... since it isn't "worth it" to actually gear toons and play the game. Instead I can be satisfied with my increasing hoard of gear, I guess.. weeee.

No one is punishing you for those choices, but GLs have been out for a while now, what development choices have you made to counter them? Thatis where the "poor choices" comments are coming from.

You dont have to hoard at all. In fact I have a player on my shard who thrives on off counters, he never uses a GL, and I dont even know if he has one yet. There are a few hey toons that you can focus on and keep at the top of thier game, like thrawn, and WAT. They have been great in many counter teams.

Hoarding only keeps you flexible when something new rolls around, after the initial push, a hoard means nothing, many players are getting GLs, and even working on or getting a second, not be cause they hoarded, but because they chose to develop down that path and stay focused on how they want to play.

Again, if GAC is important to you, you will need to make strategic choices in how you develop your roster. At each new turn you will need to follow the group or be looking at a way around that "new road block", roster development is where 60-70% of the game strategy is and always has been, even before GLs.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

So because I liked a team and I wanted to build them up, I get totally hosed later when CG decides to release characters that totally change everything about the game in a way that isnt even close to the effect of any toon ever?

When relics were released you already knew that it would hurt your matchmaking in GA. It was a "poor choice" for your GA already back then.

Play the game however you prefer. There's no right or wrong way to play it. If you have fun relicing NS, BH and troopers go ahead. Have fun. Just don't expect that your choices won't affect your chances for success.

Your problem is not about hoarding or not. It's about Gearing up characters beyond what's needed for them to do their job in GA. Spend your resources, if you like - but spend them on characters that help you win in GA if that's your goal.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

There cannot be many people with 6.6M GP, 85 g13 characters that only have 1 GL.

If they adjusted matchmaking to make sure you only ever faced single GL owners, you’d be the overwhelming favourite every single time. I’m sure you don’t really want that, do you? Matchmaking that is grossly unfair but in your favour?

Taking toons to g13 and into relic level has a large impact on your GP. You need to make sure that you’re getting enough of a return from that investment.

Your full relic 7 NS squad, for example, is a whack of GP for little gain. Even if they complete tier 2 of their Assault Battle, you’d need to complete it every month for 2 years to claw back the investment of relic materials. Ditto your g13 BH. G13 on Bossk is enough for tier 2 of that event (so I’m told).

You and I have nearly identical GP, yet I’ve got 21 fewer g13 toons than you. I’m currently 4 toons away from being JML ready, so I’ll have my 3rd GL and will still be 15 or so g13 toons behind you.

GLs have totally changed the game. I think I’ve taken one toon to relic level (Wat) since January that wasn’t a direct GL or JKL requirement. You have been less focused than that, it seems.

Yes, I do think I should have an EXTREME advantage over someone like you since I chose to actually build out a complete roster instead of just nitpicking the top 5 teams.

I think someone who built an entire roster should definitely have an advantage.

Kinda like an army that chose to build tanks, ships, planes, and infantry fighting an army that just built tanks.

The way they have it set up now you dont need to bother building an army, you just skip it and build nukes..

Your roster is more like an army with some of the best chariots and bajonets ever built going up against an army with more modern tanks than you but no chariots.