Some Random Midweek Thoughts

Replies

• Re: TW matchmaking, I disagree with everyone complaining about it in this thread. My guild has more often than not been matched against guilds with higher total GP and better rosters, yet each of those matches ended in a close result or in a clear victory for us. Since we were 30M+ through 150M+. I can't speak for the top GP bracket as we're not there yet, but to me, TW is one of the few things that SWGoH gets really right. They should patent and sell their algo if they haven't already.

GAC, on the other hand, I see as far less fair. Between 3-match rounds, you can increase your roster and it is saved, which means you might no longer normally be eligible for the division you started in, but you are still being matched against people from that division. Further, there is no ceiling in Division 1, I am constantly matched against people with much more GP, much better rosters. GAC matchmaking, at least in Division 1, represents much of what I hate about this game.

So respectfully to those complaining about TW matchmaking, unless you're in the top bracket (which I cannot comment on), I suggest you revisit your strategy. To me, I've never found a more fair group PvP experience. (Except the Guild Wars MMO franchise, but that's a different topic.)

I suggest everyone start your own thread or EA bug report if there's something you think isn't working right.
    Ultra wrote: »
    We know IG’s kid is probably baby yoda but can’t believe Kuill has a kid too!!

Hate to spoil it, but we all know that Mando is Kuill's kid.

nnjgjkxf5xgp.jpg
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    MKIceman wrote: »
    Re: TW matchmaking, I disagree with everyone complaining about it in this thread. My guild has more often than not been matched against guilds with higher total GP and better rosters, yet each of those matches ended in a close result or in a clear victory for us. Since we were 30M+ through 150M+. I can't speak for the top GP bracket as we're not there yet, but to me, TW is one of the few things that SWGoH gets really right. They should patent and sell their algo if they haven't already.

So respectfully to those complaining about TW matchmaking, unless you're in the top bracket (which I cannot comment on), I suggest you revisit your strategy. To me, I've never found a more fair group PvP experience. (Except the Guild Wars MMO franchise, but that's a different topic.)
    at the top end at 300m+ its really bad, to the point, several guilds have intentionally been moving members to weaker guilds to sandbag and win with stacked rosters. You got 4 GL players going to 200 million GP guilds to avoid being paired up with the high end guilds of MAW / CAW and 2-3 players in those lower guilds can wipe the board with all relic teams

imo GAC MM is perfect as is, people complaining about being matched against GL opponents while having less or none is not the fault of the matchmaking imo
  • Calo_Nord wrote: »
    I heard a rumor from a Chiss bartender that Kyle Katarn is coming to the holotables dressed up as ig11 for Halloween.

Kyle katarn and jar jar blinks confirmed
  • All those passionate debates show that Swgoh is more that a mobile game as countless others, it's a true hobby.

Not just a hobby, but our number one hobby. Our Obi-Wan.
  • Jpfit262
    545 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    In seriousness, TW matchmaking is poo ... we face guilds with 80 GL vs 50 on our side... simple math tells us that’s an L when they just put a GL wall up
  • Jpfit262 wrote: »
    In seriousness, TW matchmaking is poo ... we face guilds with 80 GL vs 50 on our side... simple math tells us that’s an L when they just put a GL wall up

Except that GLs can be beaten by non GLs.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Y'all are ruining this lovely random thoughts thread with complaints about matchmaking. For shame.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    TVF wrote: »
    Y'all are ruining this lovely random thoughts thread with complaints about matchmaking. For shame.

not the kind of matchmaking this community needs
  • Jpfit262 wrote: »

Let me Leia it on you, this is not the thread you're Lukeing for. You'll B1-ting the various matchmaking threads posted throughout the forums.
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    Jpfit262 wrote: »

Let me Leia it on you, this is not the thread you're Lukeing for. You'll B1-ting the various matchmaking threads posted throughout the forums.

Roger, Roger
  • Why did Kylo Ren chase Rey through the forest?
    He probably just wanted a girlfriend. After all, he’d Ben Solo for so long.
  • MKIceman wrote: »
    Re: TW matchmaking, I disagree with everyone complaining about it in this thread. My guild has more often than not been matched against guilds with higher total GP and better rosters, yet each of those matches ended in a close result or in a clear victory for us. Since we were 30M+ through 150M+. I can't speak for the top GP bracket as we're not there yet, but to me, TW is one of the few things that SWGoH gets really right. They should patent and sell their algo if they haven't already.

GAC, on the other hand, I see as far less fair. Between 3-match rounds, you can increase your roster and it is saved, which means you might no longer normally be eligible for the division you started in, but you are still being matched against people from that division. Further, there is no ceiling in Division 1, I am constantly matched against people with much more GP, much better rosters. GAC matchmaking, at least in Division 1, represents much of what I hate about this game.

I suggest everyone start your own thread or EA bug report if there's something you think isn't working right.

You must be lucky then in TW. My alt's guild had about a 20 TW loss streak being paired up against guilds that we didn't have remotely a chance of winning, despite the best efforts of the guild. It was really demoralizing and caused issues in the guild because the matches just weren't winnable. That's not a player problem, that's an algorithm problem.
    Relating to GL's and higher end, my main's guild, which is about 220mil, had a TW last month where our 3 GL's and 3 JKL were matched up against 22 GL's and 13 JKL, nearly all of which had ultimate, I believe we were outmatched on ultimates 17 to 1. With all due respect, and acknowledging the potential of counters, that is not a winnable match.
    Last TW, we had similar, and not only that, but our entire side was cleared in under 90 minutes for nearly max banners, and not with a light defense.
    If the matchmaking setup isn't modified, sandbagging will continue, and many guilds just wanting to have a good time will continue to get driven into the dirt.
    As for submitting an EA bug report, that's a joke, and even if EA's customer support worked, it wouldn't matter because it's not a bug, it's outgrown and invalidated design.
    So I will respectfully disagree and tell you that your experience is different from just about everyone's I've talked to, and I wish it to continue for you, but would aspire to improve it for everyone else.

GAC matchmaking is bad as well, and the lack of a ceiling in d1 is problematic, but unlike TW, GAC mm takes more than just straight gp for matchmaking purposes, and as that was the original formula, we have seen that GAC mm has gotten better over time, even if it's still not perfect.
    superawesomepi#1512 | My Youtube | swgoh.gg
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    But, also understand that I have a whole slough of things I'm advocating for on behalf of players based upon their concerns. So, I have to be tactical about what I bring to them, when I bring it, and how much priority it seems to have in the community.....

I'm not entirely sure how to take this statement. On one hand, we finally have an advocate for the players,which is absolutely great, but on the other hand, the statement makes it seem like player requests, wants, and feedback are being completely ignored and are more of a burden to the dev team. This sentiment is magnified by the fact that we do not have some of the most highly requested community wants like a Mace rework, sandbox, new raid, new tiers for the daily challenges, gear crunch relief, live PVP, etc etc etc. Also makes it seem that those surveys we filled out and Q&A's we had all fell on deaf ears, as evidenced by the fact that we still do not have a lot of what was stated in said those Q&A's.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents about it. I hope Im way off on this. Doja, keep doing what you're doing as its extremely positive for the community. Yoda man!
  • A pun thread is Mos Eisley what we needed.

• Jeebo101 wrote: »
    Boomer8800 wrote: »
    no idea what this post was trying to accomplish, So my Random Midweek Thoughts are how about talking about how under powered SEE and GML are compared to Rey or SLKR. Or how IT or Res Troops can beat them with blindfolds on? Why do they take so long to get to their ultimate's compared to other GL's

It’s unfortunate that when we’re getting such good communication you can be so negative. I personally really enjoyed the post and though that it really humanized CGdojafett so he’s not just a name on a screen. Thank you for all these posts Doja, even if they’re not always ground breaking news. Keep up the good work. Also, do you know when we’re getting the kid reveals for IG-11 and quil ?

Soon! (tm)

My guess would be next week, unless something unexpected occurs.

Great, thanks for the response. One more question, why are we having 2 different galactic challenges each 2 different times next month ? I find this kinda disappointing, having only 2 different GC’s in a month.

11/06/20 Droid vs. Empire
    11/13/20 Droid vs. Empire
    11/20/20 Bounty hunter vs. Scoundrels
    11/27/20 Bounty hunter vs. Scoundrels

You’re the best doja !!!
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Agreed, I like more variety.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    But, also understand that I have a whole slough of things I'm advocating for on behalf of players based upon their concerns. So, I have to be tactical about what I bring to them, when I bring it, and how much priority it seems to have in the community.....

I'm not entirely sure how to take this statement. On one hand, we finally have an advocate for the players,which is absolutely great, but on the other hand, the statement makes it seem like player requests, wants, and feedback are being completely ignored and are more of a burden to the dev team. This sentiment is magnified by the fact that we do not have some of the most highly requested community wants like a Mace rework, sandbox, new raid, new tiers for the daily challenges, gear crunch relief, live PVP, etc etc etc. Also makes it seem that those surveys we filled out and Q&A's we had all fell on deaf ears, as evidenced by the fact that we still do not have a lot of what was stated in said those Q&A's.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents about it. I hope Im way off on this. Doja, keep doing what you're doing as its extremely positive for the community. Yoda man!

Just so you are aware, we always have and always will have an advocate. Every community manager has filled this roll.

It's not that they fall on dead ears, the dev team has a map and projects always going on. The player requests are always there and there are alot of them (like a real lot). There is no way to get it all done without a balance. To stike a balance you need people on both sides to help set the priorities and at points "argue" the other side, since they dont let the players in the office to speak our part.

It's no more of a burden than any other company who has customer requests of their projects, it's just the nature of a living projects and products.
  • Iy4oy4s wrote: »

Not being ignored. It's a balance between new things that are being worked on, the changes we have planned or are already working on behind the scenes and can't announce yet, various QOL backlog, and new asks as they come in. Then there's the issue of something being perceived as an easy fix when it's actually difficult.

So, rather than being ignored, what's happening is we have a lot to do, and not everything can be a priority (some things may just never get the attention some people would like, and I understand that's frustrating).

The good news is you, the players, do have a role in this by discussing issues or things you'd like to see happen. My role is to take the discussions I see happening around the community and give the devs some insight into your sentiment. I have to weigh the seriousness of the issue and how widespread it is in the community. Also, keep in mind, I DO NOT DECIDE what happens with SWGoH. I'm simply an advocate for the community that has to wear two hats; player sentiment hat and CG employee hat.

So, when I say I have to be tactical, it's more because of me and my zealousness. Not because the devs ignore players. That's simply not the case. And I think you'll see that reflected in where the game goes over the next few quarters.

Even though I can't get into a lot of specifics, I hope this helps. It's the best I can do to let you know what's up without diving into things we're not ready or able to announce yet.
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member

Not being ignored. It's a balance between new things that are being worked on, the changes we have planned or are already working on behind the scenes and can't announce yet, various QOL backlog, and new asks as they come in. Then there's the issue of something being perceived as an easy fix when it's actually difficult.

So, rather than being ignored, what's happening is we have a lot to do, and not everything can be a priority (some things may just never get the attention some people would like, and I understand that's frustrating).

The good news is you, the players, do have a role in this by discussing issues or things you'd like to see happen. My role is to take the discussions I see happening around the community and give the devs some insight into your sentiment. I have to weigh the seriousness of the issue and how widespread it is in the community. Also, keep in mind, I DO NOT DECIDE what happens with SWGoH. I'm simply an advocate for the community that has to wear two hats; player sentiment hat and CG employee hat.

So, when I say I have to be tactical, it's more because of me and my zealousness. Not because the devs ignore players. That's simply not the case. And I think you'll see that reflected in where the game goes over the next few quarters.

Even though I can't get into a lot of specifics, I hope this helps. It's the best I can do to let you know what's up without diving into things we're not ready or able to announce yet.

I really appreciate the response, it does not feel fake or dismissive, it feels genuine, and that goes a long way, so thank you very Marr.

With that being said, I’m in the I’ll believe it when I see it mode. That’s not to say it’s not going to happen, but we’ve been either lied to or kept in the dark about things that we were supposed to have already and that doesn’t sit well with me.

I’m excited for the future and I really hope that the next couple quarters are exactly what the community deserves.

PS: As I write this, Mobilegamer is talking with Cerebro from MSF on twitch. I believe CG would benefit tremendously if we could see the same type of community interaction.
  • Any news on buffing JML? He’s the worst GL in game. Ult is useless as there are better leads for his squad. Rey is toss up match even though JML trained her and is supposed to be a Jedi master. I’m disappointed went his direction instead of SEE. He’s more like a really good legendary toon than a GL. Listen to your audience and fix JML. He’s GL garbage. Love this game but sorry that’s the truth. If you can fix SLK you can fix JML. I have no issues with counters and losing on D every now again to good counter. But he should be WAY better on offense at the least. I know I’m not the first to bring this up. Waste of time for a GL. New players go get Rey instead
  • DarthDarthBinks
    36 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    JML could use some minor work imo, but he’s not as useless as people are portraying, check modding. I haven’t dropped below 10, 5 since I unlocked Ult in a GL heavy arena with him, and against the generally used Rey teams I build ult crazy fast. I love seeing GAS crit for 100k on an aoe.

Also it’s nice to auto all my battles vs Rey and SLKR.
  • JML isn't useless, but he's definitely the worst GL by a pretty substantial margin. He's both the least flexible with his ult, and, at least on the surface, the least impactful ult. He's still quite good, but as far as GL tier goes, he's dropping off the back end.
    There's diversity at the top of the arena, which is great, but JML probably needs a bit of a buff. SEE and Rey are pretty much evenly matched, with SLKR not far above, but JML is a bit further below than is probably appropriate for where he should be. He's certainly not bad to go for, but for use out of a GL, he is probably the worst one.
    superawesomepi#1512 | My Youtube | swgoh.gg
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    b59td51a8qfz.png

Hey, it was either this or a pun thread.

Wait we could have had a pun thread?????

I mean, it's not too late. Should we make this happen sooner rather than Vader?

Where are you from? Arizona is my home state and hail from the city of Tusken. Raider until I tell you my next pun
  • Iy4oy4s wrote: »

I really appreciate the response, it does not feel fake or dismissive, it feels genuine, and that goes a long way, so thank you very Marr.

With that being said, I’m in the I’ll believe it when I see it mode. That’s not to say it’s not going to happen, but we’ve been either lied to or kept in the dark about things that we were supposed to have already and that doesn’t sit well with me.

I’m excited for the future and I really hope that the next couple quarters are exactly what the community deserves.

PS: As I write this, Mobilegamer is talking with Cerebro from MSF on twitch. I believe CG would benefit tremendously if we could see the same type of community interaction.

Fair enough. I completely get it.

As far as that type of community action you mentioned, I wholeheartedly agree and it's something I very much intend to do once all the procedural hurdles have been cleared (which takes longer than I would like).
  • Monel wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    b59td51a8qfz.png

Hey, it was either this or a pun thread.

Wait we could have had a pun thread?????

I mean, it's not too late. Should we make this happen sooner rather than Vader?

Where are you from? Arizona is my home state and hail from the city of Tusken. Raider until I tell you my next pun

It's cool to rep your home. I could Jabba on all day about where I'm from. But, I always forget if I've told people about it, so they hear the same old story again, and again, Anakin.
  • Gar! Ima-Gun Di with all these bad puns, it's enough to make me Wren my hands in frustration.

By the way, legit Baby Yoda animatronic figures R2 cute, on sale now, so bust out your Visas and Secura gift for the holidays!

Speaking of which, Weequay'nt wait to see more of The Child in game. Will we get more of The Child, maybe Chewie on some stew?
  • MKIceman wrote: »
    Gar! Ima-Gun Di with all these bad puns, it's enough to make me Wren my hands in frustration.

By the way, legit Baby Yoda animatronic figures R2 cute, on sale now, so bust out your Visas and Secura gift for the holidays!

Speaking of which, Weequay'nt wait to see more of The Child in game. Will we get more of The Child, maybe Chewie on some stew?

Wow...that was impressive. That post might be the Endor of this thread.
  • Fetts not let this get out of hand.