GAC matchmaking system

Prev134567
Salatious_Scrum
2309 posts Member
edited November 2020
I’m not usually one to complain about the difficulty of content in the game, but the mismatch I’ve been handed this round of GAC is laughable. My opponent has 2 GLs, on top of the 29 R7 characters in his roster. I have 0 GLs and only 6 R7 characters. What on earth is one supposed to do when matched up against that? Surely CG can add something to the matchmaking system to make it so only those with GLs face each other so people without don’t have to go up against things like this?

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    This type of comment comes up each time a new meta comes out. They should not force matching in this way.

You are matched by the top 80 of your roster. At this point you have made choices that have you being close to equal in that 80, even with the 31 toons you mention.
  • While matchmaking does pull from the top 80 toons, it clearly has blatant issues. With his 29 R7 toons and a total of 52 ish relics against my 6 R7 toons and a total of 35 relics, it clearly favors the opponent.

Not only can they field more teams, but those teams have a much much higher probability of full clearing my entire defense while having a lot leftover for defense. Especially in 3v3. GAC was created before relics and Galactic Legends, and I firmly believe it needs to be changed to matchmake only those with Galactic Legends together and have a similar number of relics. Why should they not?
  • I firmly believe it needs to be changed to matchmake only those with Galactic Legends together and have a similar number of relics. Why should they not?
    What's the point of getting Galactic Legends then if it does not give you an advantage over those who neglect them? If you could never face anyone with a GL while not having one, why would you farm them?

G12 to flat G13 could turn matchmaking upside down because there was a considerable advantage to having G13s for an additional ~250 GP (meaning one zeta making the same MM difference as ~7 G13 to G12+5). However, relics add a notable GP difference, so if these 35 vs 6 r7 matches indeed happen, it means that the one with fewer r7s either has a lot more zetas equipped, a lot more overall relic levels spread across their roster or both. Which, in this case, is just the consequence of one's choices when building their roster.
  • Roster management and development matters. If you have a swgoh.gg profile you care to post, we might be able to help you understand why you are getting such difficult matchups. We could also offer suggestions on how best to "fix" you roster moving forward.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    While matchmaking does pull from the top 80 toons, it clearly has blatant issues. With his 29 R7 toons and a total of 52 ish relics against my 6 R7 toons and a total of 35 relics, it clearly favors the opponent.

Not only can they field more teams, but those teams have a much much higher probability of full clearing my entire defense while having a lot leftover for defense. Especially in 3v3. GAC was created before relics and Galactic Legends, and I firmly believe it needs to be changed to matchmake only those with Galactic Legends together and have a similar number of relics. Why should they not?

There are issues, sure.

But this:
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Roster management and development matters. If you have a swgoh.gg profile you care to post, we might be able to help you understand why you are getting such difficult matchups. We could also offer suggestions on how best to "fix" you roster moving forward.

Your top 80 matches his, due to your choices you have made along the way.

You should focus on changing your development scheme if GAC is important to you.
  • While matchmaking does pull from the top 80 toons, it clearly has blatant issues. With his 29 R7 toons and a total of 52 ish relics against my 6 R7 toons and a total of 35 relics, it clearly favors the opponent.
    There's clearly more to this because thst does not add up.

How many of your 35 relics are high relics (R5 or R6) vs your opponents. It seems you may be cherry picking the data to make it seem like a mismatch when it's not.

For example if all 35 of your relics are r5 or r6, and you opponent has 29 r7 and the rest r1, then it is likely that the top 80 gp is close.

Zetas and quality of mods may also play a role. The only way to actually convince us that it is a matchmaking error would be to show your top 80 gp and your opponents top 80 gp. If it is way off then you have a point. If not than it's just poor roster development on your part and not a matchmaking issue.

There are tools out there that can do that or you can add it up manually.
  • https://swgoh.gg/p/812755916 is my roster

Having checked his roster, just 3 of his relics are below R3.

I go fairly easy on gearing up and placing zetas on people so I don’t bloat my roster by placing zetas everywhere.

I could post his ally code here but you can’t really point out people can you?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    https://swgoh.gg/p/812755916 is my roster

Having checked his roster, just 3 of his relics are below R3.

I go fairly easy on gearing up and placing zetas on people so I don’t bloat my roster by placing zetas everywhere.

I could post his ally code here but you can’t really point out people can you?

you are not calling him out on anything, so its fine to post his ally code too.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    just a rough look, you have double his zetas, and 3x his g12

quick look at characters, he drops off very quick out of his top 60, G10-11 or less show up quickly. your top 80 are almost all g12.

the relic difference is really buried in those differences.
  • Agree with Kyno's assessment.

That is an odd-looking roster: extremely top-heavy and almost looks like an attempt to min-max except for some odd choices. Surprisingly short of zetas too, even on the GLs - kraken account that was powered up quickly perhaps.

His GAC stats are not impressive: defense heavy with minimal under-squadding.

You should be able to find a strategy to beat that.
  • Under squadding generally goes out the window in 3v3 unless defense is super weak. He def bought the hyperdrive bundle, among other things
  • Under squadding generally goes out the window in 3v3 unless defense is super weak. He def bought the hyperdrive bundle, among other things
    Agreed, undersquadding has limited utility in 3v3 but his GAC stats tell you a lot about his past 5v5 performance. He doesn't seem to care much for GAC, preferring to hunker down and turtle rather than leveraging his power offensively.
  • I agree with the other's assessments. He does have more relics but less Zetas and his 80th character comes in at g8 and looks lik ef there are a dozen or so in his top 80 at g8 or less. That's where the gp difference is coming in.

But hope is not lost. Building a roster that quickly, which is the only way I can think of to have that many high relics with that many g8 characters too. You likely have a big mod advantage. And R7 characters with bad mods fall to R3 characters with good mods.

• Be that as it may, it’s laughable that GAC shouldn’t be updated to accommodate the addition of Relics and Galactic Legends. That and adding more divisions since it’s been so bloated
  • Be that as it may, it’s laughable that GAC shouldn’t be updated to accommodate the addition of Relics and Galactic Legends. That and adding more divisions since it’s been so bloated
    This is my matchmaking GP cost for SLKR. If I had not made the effort to acquire him then no more than two or three of these toons would be at g13 much less relics right now.

7gdso4l6x2cy.png

• And actually it's even more.than that because all five of the FO ships saw their GP bloated at the same time.
  • If you manage to get as much matchmaking GP as 13+ r3-7 characters and in addition a GL (Up to almost 50k) without being remotely close to unlocking a GL or at least having a proper counter to them, you honestly just deserve to lose to the opponent's roster.

GL GP is weighted well-enough. It's not just the ~50k GP of a GL, it's all the prerequisites behind it, half of which you probably wouldn't even consider upgrading otherwise (as exemplified above by Rath).
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Be that as it may, it’s laughable that GAC shouldn’t be updated to accommodate the addition of Relics and Galactic Legends. That and adding more divisions since it’s been so bloated

They are likely to add.or change the division system, but that still won't necessarily help your situation. MM will still come back to roster management.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Be that as it may, it’s laughable that GAC shouldn’t be updated to accommodate the addition of Relics and Galactic Legends. That and adding more divisions since it’s been so bloated

MM accounts for that as much as things account into GP. Your only argument can be how they don't account enough, but that's a hard sell given how impactful relics are on gp. And you are not the underdog in this match whatsoever. On the contrary, you got a super lucky draw.

j5gz0gytz914.png

• I suppose solid mods are the one thing you can’t exactly buy with 100% guarantee they actually will be useful.
  • I suppose solid mods are the one thing you can’t exactly buy with 100% guarantee they actually will be useful.

Money is irrelevant in MM imo, as you're matched with people who used about the same resources as you did to develop their roster, however you came up with those resources.

Actually, one can almost advocate that money spenders are at disadvantage in GAC. A paying customer versus a you-won't-get-my-money player used about the same resources for their top 80 characters. The stingy one used time instead of money. During all this time, he had far more chances to obtain great mods, which do not affect mm. So the paying customer will face a player who used the same resources as he did but have far better mods. The more he spent, the faster he had the resources, the bigger mod quality gap will be.
  • Starslayer wrote: »
    The more he spent, the faster he had the resources, the bigger mod quality gap will be.

Unless they are aware bad mods will screw them in the long run and budget some of their spending towards mods.

• yeah, f2p don't get to spend many crystals on mods.

Matchmaking feels pretty good, but I still don't know anyone who actually enjoys 3v3 battles.
  • Rebmes wrote: »
    yeah, f2p don't get to spend many crystals on mods.

Matchmaking feels pretty good, but I still don't know anyone who actually enjoys 3v3 battles.
    I like them.

5v5 is pretty much identical defences for 12 straight rounds for me.

No 2 3v3 rounds are ever the same.
  • Rebmes wrote: »
    yeah, f2p don't get to spend many crystals on mods.

I enjoy them.
  • 3v3 is generally a lot harder to fight GLs. Also underdogging is much more risky (obviously).
  • 3v3 is generally a lot harder to fight GLs. Also underdogging is much more risky (obviously).
    Undersquadding can be more or less risky, depending on the toons involved.
  • MaruMaru wrote: »
    Starslayer wrote: »
    The more he spent, the faster he had the resources, the bigger mod quality gap will be.

Unless they are aware bad mods will screw them in the long run and budget some of their spending towards mods.

Very true. I only thought about packs and forgot crystals, which is pretty important ^^