GAC Matchmaking badly needed, but will never get

Prev134
Look, CG, I get it. You're apart of EA and only care about money, but you're going to slowly kill your game if you don't fix GAC matchmaking. A lot of people i know, and I read this sentiment on reddit and here, feel the same way: if you don't have GL's you shouldn't be going up again people that have 2 GL's. What fun is it to not even be able to play the game because your opponent just sets them on D and checkmates you instantly? I know you guys won't fix it because business practices states that if you put things obtainable by paying, your customer is more likely to. But here's the problem, when it's a free game, most people just end up leaving after a time. Fix your matchmaking and stop being greedy. Prove you're not EA and just a subsidiary of them.

Replies

• If someone with no GL is being matched against someone with 2, you have to question the roster development somewhat.

• It's a Championship. If you built your roster strong with many of the latest META toons/teams why shouldn't you benefit? Why should you have stronger opponents? Why should players with weaker rosters have an easier path to Kyber league?

• TVF
    36519 posts Member
    If someone with no GL is being matched against someone with 2, you have to question the roster development somewhat.

"somewhat"
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Jeebbers
    2 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    If someone with no GL is being matched against someone with 2, you have to question the roster development somewhat.

I don't even know what you mean by that. If you were in a bad position for GL and are FTP, it might take you months, maybe even longer, before you can unlock them. I hated the sequels, and saw no reason to get FO or Resistance geared. So why should my gameplay experience should be ruined? I don't really see the argument.
    Waqui wrote: »
    It's a Championship. If you built your roster strong with many of the latest META toons/teams why shouldn't you benefit? Why should you have stronger opponents? Why should players with weaker rosters have an easier path to Kyber league?

Who said anything about weaker rosters having an easier go at kyber? Just because you're not going up against GL's doesn't mean you'll win automatically. Honestly, that mind set is really just not a good one to have. I mean, with what you're saying, i should be going up against people that barely have their first G12 character with my GAS, DR, and Padme teams, yeah? I have the better roster, so i should have the advantage, yeah?
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Jeebbers wrote: »

I don't even know what you mean by that. If you were in a bad position for GL and are FTP, it might take you months, maybe even longer, before you can unlock them. I hated the sequels, and saw no reason to get FO or Resistance geared. So my who gameplay experience should be ruined? I don't really see the argument.

If you are making roster choices based on disliking certain movies, GAC is not for you.

• TVF wrote: »

I don't even know what you mean by that. If you were in a bad position for GL and are FTP, it might take you months, maybe even longer, before you can unlock them. I hated the sequels, and saw no reason to get FO or Resistance geared. So my who gameplay experience should be ruined? I don't really see the argument.

If you are making roster choices based on disliking certain movies, GAC is not for you.

Dude, this game is for fun. Before GL, it didn't matter having FO or Resistance, so who cared? They were some of the weakest tags in the game. So, it wouldn't even matter if i liked them or not. Before GL, the data reports showed those two factions had the some the lowest amounts of G13's. But, nah, you're right. Just relic every character, yeah? Who cares if they're worthless.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Dude, this game is for fun. Before GL, it didn't matter having FO or Resistance, so who cared? They were some of the weakest tags in the game. So, it wouldn't even matter if i liked them or not. Before GL, the data reports showed those two factions had the some the lowest amounts of G13's. But, nah, you're right. Just relic every character, yeah? Who cares if they're worthless.

If they were worthless, they wouldn't be preventing you from "having fun" in GAC.
  • When a new meta is released, every player has 3 choices:
    1. Get the new meta
    2. Get one of the counters to the new meta
    3. complain about matchmaking as if it has anything to do with why they are losing
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • crzydroid
    7252 posts Moderator

This is how it’s always been though--there's a certain meta, usually based around a new character, and that meta doesn't care what you do or don't like. I'm one of the few who thought KOTOR was overrated and had no particular love of the characters, and I wasn't exactly thrilled when I felt I had to max out all these toons because CG told me to. There were other things I would rather have worked on. Sometimes having more fun might mean winning less, and that's something you have to sort out.

I don't disagree that the power creep, shifting goal posts, and unlock requirements have gotten much worse as longtime players have accumulated more resources. But the issue of gearing up toons you didn't like to get the new OP toon started long before the GLs. And it will continue...how much are you betting that the third set of GL Luke requirements will see a relic Farmboy?
  • Jeebbers wrote: »

I don't even know what you mean by that. If you were in a bad position for GL and are FTP, it might take you months, maybe even longer, before you can unlock them. I hated the sequels, and saw no reason to get FO or Resistance geared. So why should my gameplay experience should be ruined? I don't really see the argument.
    The argument is easy to see.

You are not being matched randomly with GL owners. You are being matched against people with a comparable matchmaking GP, widely believed to be "Top X" Gp, where X is 10 times the number of defence slots you need to fill.

People who own a GL have had to gear up a dozen characters - some of them not particularly useful - to g13. This inflates their Top X GP significantly. Those with both GLs (like me) have geared up two dozen characters,so their Top X GP is even more affected.

My point is, if someone is nowhere near unlocking either GL but is being matched against someone with both GLs, they must have a comparable matchmaking GP to the GL owners. And if your Top X GP is similar to someone who owns both GLs, there must be some questionable decisions in your roster.

Maybe you could post your ally code or your swgoh.gg profile to get some advice?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

What I believe they mean, is if you have built your roster up to the point that your matchmaking GP (top 80) matches that of someone with both GLs, and you are not in a position to counter them, then you may have made bad choices in your development.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    It's a Championship. If you built your roster strong with many of the latest META toons/teams why shouldn't you benefit? Why should you have stronger opponents? Why should players with weaker rosters have an easier path to Kyber league?

Who said anything about weaker rosters having an easier go at kyber? Just because you're not going up against GL's doesn't mean you'll win automatically.

Who said anything about automatically winning? I'm talking easier opponents - not automatically wins. In your OP you requested easier opponents (no double GL opponents) for players with no GLs. This logicaly implies that some double GL players will get harder opponents than they would with the current MM.
    Honestly, that mind set is really just not a good one to have. I mean, with what you're saying, i should be going up against people that barely have their first G12 character with my GAS, DR, and Padme teams, yeah? I have the better roster, so i should have the advantage, yeah?

If you have matching top-X GP, division and league, I don't see why not. Players are matched by those 3 parameters. If your roster is tronger than your opponent's roster then enjoy your advantage. Roster development is an important element of GAC. Your development choices affect your chances at winning in GAC. Why do you want this element removed? What kind of mindset is that? It's a competitive game mode.

• Jeebbers wrote: »

Dude, this game is for fun. Before GL, it didn't matter having FO or Resistance, so who cared?

If GAC is about fun and not a competition (championship) why would you care, if you don't win? Use your favorite teams/factions/characters and have fun. Ignore your scores and rank. Have fun. And if you don't like GAC just skip it altogether. Stick to the game modes you think are fun.
  • This GAC will be the 3rd time I’ve been matched with a GL. Being that I didn’t even have GAS at 7*, let alone a full throttled GL; I got 7th place. I don’t mind the placement, but I do mind the fact that I couldn’t even finish the south side and I did not reach Kyber because of it. It’s fun when it’s fair, not when advantage is impossible to beat. It’s the 2nd time this happens and I’m sure it will continue if CG does not do something about it. Please fix this issue.
    Thanks
  • Starslayer
    2413 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    This GAC will be the 3rd time I’ve been matched with a GL. Being that I didn’t even have GAS at 7*, let alone a full throttled GL; I got 7th place. I don’t mind the placement, but I do mind the fact that I couldn’t even finish the south side and I did not reach Kyber because of it. It’s fun when it’s fair, not when advantage is impossible to beat. It’s the 2nd time this happens and I’m sure it will continue if CG does not do something about it. Please fix this issue.
    Thanks

The point of strategy is to get in a position where you don't fight fair. You want to start the battle flanking your opponent 10 to 1, preferably by surprise.

It's a strategy game, so it's all about resource management. Which characters you chose to dump your resources on is key; top 80 characters is a good picture of your strategic choices.

You may not like it and would rather have a more tactical game mode, no issue here. But the actual system rewards the best strategist in a strategy game, so nothing to fix imo. Maybe a new game mode could put focus on the tactical aspect though.
  • Waqui wrote: »

Exactly
  • Uncrow
    2 posts Member
    edited November 2020

No one says anything about easy path, in this GAC my opponent has 2 GL against my 0 GL and almost 700k Galactic Power more than me that's the equivalent of 20 Relic 7 Jedi Knight Luke's hows that fair? If I meet a guy within 100k of my own GP i wouldn't complain but this is insane
  • Uncrow wrote: »

No one says anything about easy path, in this GAC my opponent has 2 GL against my 0 GL and almost 700k Galactic Power more than me that's the equivalent of 20 Relic 7 Jedi Knight Luke's hows that fair? If I meet a guy within 100k of my own GP i wouldn't complain but this is insane
    The 700k GP isn’t relevant. You will have similar GP for your top X toons.

And his additional 700k GP is absolutely not equivalent to 20 r7 JKLs. It’s things like g11 jawas, ewoks, fringe empire / Jedi toons.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Show your .gg and we’ll show you how you created your own mm mismatches.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Gifafi wrote: »
    Show your .gg and we’ll show you how you created your own mm mismatches.

853-873-546 is me and 798-333-642 was my opponent
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    https://swgoh.gg/p/853873546/characters/

well you have a lot of high relic chars but looks like not the reqs for slkr/rey, 11 r7, 5 r6 and a numch of r5 and below.

https://swgoh.gg/p/798333642/ opponent has jml and rey, and jkl, 11 r7, some r6, and multiple lower relics too.

tbh it looks like you just ran into an insanely focused roster. normally it's clear to see why one is bad choices, but here, while you took too many to r7 and have some questionable choices for other high relics, you should normally probably be matched with one gl, and just got real unlucky. imo
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Uncrow wrote: »

First OP did - and now you.

well you have a lot of high relic chars but looks like not the reqs for slkr/rey, 11 r7, 5 r6 and a numch of r5 and below.

https://swgoh.gg/p/798333642/ opponent has jml and rey, and jkl, 11 r7, some r6, and multiple lower relics too.

tbh it looks like you just ran into an insanely focused roster. normally it's clear to see why one is bad choices, but here, while you took too many to r7 and have some questionable choices for other high relics, you should normally probably be matched with one gl, and just got real unlucky. imo

If my collegiate basketball team was pitted against some third grade team all because we were in the same gym and it was unlucky, neither side would have fun and would obviously not be a good match.

The point is it shouldn't come down to luck. It should be more thought out to provide the best player experience for both sides. IMO, this shouldn't happen and the GL's need to be weighted differently in their matchmaking algorithm.
  • LukeDukem8 wrote: »
    Gifafi wrote: »

If my collegiate basketball team was pitted against some third grade team all because we were in the same gym and it was unlucky, neither side would have fun and would obviously not be a good match.

The point is it shouldn't come down to luck. It should be more thought out to provide the best player experience for both sides. IMO, this shouldn't happen and the GL's need to be weighted differently in their matchmaking algorithm.
    ja9jm23wuw86.jpeg
    Those 12 make 250K GP. SLKR himself takes that up to 300K GP. 300K GP for one toon, around half of it next to useless.

How much more weighting do they need?
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    LukeDukem8 wrote: »

that's not a correct analogy. The point is you relic'd up a bunch of toons but not enough to get a GL, that matches you with people who relic'd up chars and did get a GL. Matchmaking doesn't happen to you, you happen to it

that's not a correct analogy. The point is you relic'd up a bunch of toons but not enough to get a GL, that matches you with people who relic'd up chars and did get a GL. Matchmaking doesn't happen to you, you happen to it

tp5c2322et7d.jpg
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.

actually the point is competitive balance and game play. Why design an algorithm that pins such a strong team against an opponent who has no shot of winning. Where is the fun in that? It's a game, it should be fun for both sides.

Someone makes an individual choice for their own enjoyment and you basically tell them they can't play one of the game modes because of a bad algorithm or is unlucky (which luck should never be involved in matchmaking).

Why even bother having GP tiers? Why stop at 0 GL's vs 2, we should pin 0 GL's vs 4, because who doesn't have a GL clearly has no idea what they are doing.

It doesn't make sense and is bad game design.

• LukeDukem8 wrote: »

actually the point is competitive balance and game play. Why design an algorithm that pins such a strong team against an opponent who has no shot of winning. Where is the fun in that? It's a game, it should be fun for both sides.

Someone makes an individual choice for their own enjoyment and you basically tell them they can't play one of the game modes because of a bad algorithm or is unlucky (which luck should never be involved in matchmaking).
    Actually the point is that you chose how to develop your roster and you have had two years to adapt to matchmaking by GP and plenty of opportunities to rebalance your roster. If you failed to do so, that is your fault.
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Actually the point is that you chose how to develop your roster and you have had two years to adapt to matchmaking by GP and plenty of opportunities to rebalance your roster. If you failed to do so, that is your fault.

we are going to agree to disagree
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

we are going to agree to disagree

disagree