Shard Economy Changes [MEGA]

Prev13456746
Kyno
32087 posts Moderator
CG_SBCrumb wrote: »
Hi Holotable Heroes,

Our 5th Anniversary is fast approaching and we have some exciting news for this month! Starting with the 5th year celebration, we will be increasing the Shard drop count on most nodes and the currency-to-Shard rate in many stores.

Character Shards are the first big hurdle that new players hit and it’s a hurdle that’s grown over the last 5 years, from around 60 characters at launch to now over 200 (including ships)! Our intent with this change is to help all players expand their collections faster, and in particular to help new players progress in the game. To that end we will be broadly increasing the Shard drop count for many characters. We’re also adjusting conversion rates and prices in the Shard Shop to keep these changes effectively neutral for this store.

To dive into the details -- there are now effectively two groups of Character Shards -- Original Rate and Accelerated. (See the list below for which characters are in the Accelerated category).
  • Original Rate characters are made up of New and Exclusive characters. Generally, this set includes those characters exclusive to Raids, Journey Guide, Territory Battles, and certain high-value currencies. This also includes all Ships blueprints.
  • Accelerated characters are typically those found on Nodes and in various Stores.
  • New Marquee characters will launch as Original Rate characters, and move to the Accelerated list approximately 1 year after their release. (eg The Mandalorian will move to Accelerated in April/May 2021)

As the primary impact of these changes, Accelerated Characters have their Shard distribution doubled in most modes:
  • Combat nodes drop 2 Shards instead of 1. This increases to 4 during Double Drops.
  • Store Shipments provide twice as many Shards for the same amount of currency (ex: 10 for the price of 5 previously).
  • Includes Galactic War and non-Journey Guide Events. (ex: Assault Battles)
  • Does not include Quests & Achievements.
  • Does not include Bronzium Data Cards due to a technical issue. We will explore increasing this rate in a future update.

Due to the resulting variation in between Shards, we are modifying the Shard Shop to keep Shard-to-Purchase ratios unchanged. Under the hood, this means we are doubling all sources of Shard Shop Currency, doubling in-store costs, and then doubling unspent Shard Shop Currency on all accounts when these changes go live.
  • Accelerated-Farm Characters keep their conversion the same (1 Shard > 15 SSC).
  • Original Rate characters have their conversion doubled (1 Shard > 30 SSC).
  • For ships, this doubles such that 1 Shard > 38 SSC
  • All Shard Shop Store items will cost twice as much to match this doubled income.
  • When these changes are released, we will double all players’ Shard Shop Currency.
  • As these changes approach, note that Shards remain worth the same “buying power” (relative to store price) no matter when you cash them in. There is no extra value from saving it up and waiting.
  • In the future, a Character or Ship moving from Original to Accelerated group will have its exchange rate adjusted accordingly.

TL;DR Summary: Accelerated Characters will now reach 7 Stars twice as quickly for all players. Shard Shop purchasing is unchanged, all the numbers are just doubled.

These changes clearly open the door to conversations about other economies, including Gear. Without making promises, we are in the midst of exploring how this could change in the future - but we need to adjust Shard rates first. Shards play a foundational role in Galaxy of Heroes and have a cascading impact into subsequent economies. This makes them an essential place to start and finish before we make adjustments to systems that will be affected by changes to Shards.

We will be carefully monitoring how these changes impact the overall game economy, listening for feedback, and considering follow-up changes. Thank you for reading, and we will have more to share in our Anniversary announcement.

See you on the Holotables!

LIST OF ACCELERATED CHARACTERS:
Aayla Secura
Admiral Ackbar
Ahsoka Tano
Ahsoka Tano (Fulcrum)
Amilyn Holdo
ARC Trooper
Asajj Ventress
Aurra Sing
B1 Battle Droid
B2 Super Battle Droid
Barriss Offee
Bastila Shan
Bastila Shan (Fallen)
Baze Malbus
Biggs Darklighter
Bistan
Boba Fett
Bodhi Rook
Bossk
Cad Bane
Canderous Ordo
Captain Han Solo
Captain Phasma
Carth Onasi
Cassian Andor
CC-2224 "Cody"
Chief Chirpa
Chief Nebit
Chirrut Îmwe
Chopper
Clone Sergeant - Phase I
Clone Wars Chewbacca
Colonel Starck
Coruscant Underworld Police
Count Dooku
CT-21-0408 "Echo"
CT-5555 "Fives"
CT-7567 "Rex"
Darth Maul
Darth Nihilus
Darth Sidious
Darth Sion
Dathcha
Death Trooper
Dengar
Director Krennic
Droideka
Eeth Koth
Embo
Enfys Nest
Ewok Eldar
Ewok Scout
Ezra Bridger
Finn
First Order Executioner
First Order Officer
First Order SF TIE Pilot
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order TIE Pilot
Gamorrean Guard
Gar Saxon
Garazeb "Zeb" Orrelios
General Hux
General Veers
Geonosian Brood Alpha
Geonosian Soldier
Geonosian Spy
Grand Moff Tarkin
Greedo
Hera Syndulla
HK-47
Hoth Rebel Scout
Hoth Rebel Soldier
IG-100 MagnaGuard
IG-86 Sentinel
IG-88
Ima-Gun Di
Imperial Super Commando
Jango Fett
Jawa
Jawa Engineer
Jawa Scavenger
Jedi Consular
Jedi Knight Anakin
Jedi Knight Guardian
Jolee Bindo
Juhani
Jyn Erso
K-2SO
Kanan Jarrus
Kit Fisto
Kylo Ren
Kylo Ren (Unmasked)
L3-37
Lando Calrissian
Lobot
Logray
Luke Skywalker (Farmboy)
Luminara Unduli
Mace Windu
Magmatrooper
Mission Vao
Mob Enforcer
Mother Talzin
Nightsister Acolyte
Nightsister Initiate
Nightsister Spirit
Nightsister Zombie
Nute Gunray
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Old Ben)
Old Daka
Pao
Paploo
Plo Koon
Poe Dameron
Poggle the Lesser
Princess Leia
Qi'ra
Qui-Gon Jinn
Range Trooper
Resistance Hero Finn
Resistance Hero Poe
Resistance Pilot
Resistance Trooper
Rey (Scavenger)
Rose Tico
Royal Guard
Sabine Wren
Savage Opress
Scarif Rebel Pathfinder
Shaak Ti
Shoretrooper
Sith Assassin
Sith Empire Trooper
Sith Marauder
Sith Trooper
Snowtrooper
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper Han
Sun Fac
T3-M4
Talia
Teebo
TIE Fighter Pilot
Tusken Raider
Tusken Shaman
Ugnaught
URoRRuR'R'R
Vandor Chewbacca
Veteran Smuggler Chewbacca
Veteran Smuggler Han Solo
Visas Marr
Wedge Antilles
Wicket
Young Han Solo
Young Lando Calrissian
Zaalbar
Zam Wesell

<<DEV POST>>

Replies

• Bartek
    116 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    All of this sounds very, very reasonable. A quick question: as the gear in Shard Store will cost twice as before - will we get double shards from Bronzium Data Cards as well? All of the characters obtainable there are kinda legacy toons.

/edit:
    Does not include Bronzium Data Cards due to a technical issue. We will explore increasing this rate in a future update.
    Post edited by Bartek on
  • Mikek
    110 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    No. Bronzium shards are staying the same. So this is actually huge nerf for long term players becouse they half the biggest source of shards for them. Nice one CG. This means nearly half gear from shard store.
  • They state that this increase does not effect bronzium drops. For many of us I imagine, bronzium makes up a hefty chunk of our shard shop currency. So this change for us is actually a huge negative for long term established players.
  • Bartek wrote: »
    All of this sounds very, very reasonable. A quick question: as the gear in Shard Store will cost twice as before - will we get double shards from Bronzium Data Cards as well? All of the characters obtainable there are kinda legacy toons.

It says it doesn’t include Bronzium cards at the moment due to a technical issue but they’ll try to include it in a future update
  • Bartek wrote: »

I understood it as they will be crossing that bridge when they can fix the issue with changing the rates first?
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Mikek wrote: »
    No. Bronzium shards are staying the same. So this is actually huge nerf for long term players becouse they half the biggest source of shards for them. Nice one CG.

Oh, I didn't realize this at first and thought that it's nothing for long term players. So it's actually less than nothing, yay for CG again!
  • Includes Galactic War and non-Journey Guide Events. (ex: Assault Battles)
    Does not include Quests & Achievements.
    Does not include Bronzium Data Cards due to a technical issue. We will explore increasing this rate in a future update.

for lang time player this is a massiv nerf ... dont sell us this as an improofment ....
  • Gouj4 wrote: »
    Bartek wrote: »

It says it doesn’t include Bronzium cards at the moment due to a technical issue but they’ll try to include it in a future update
    Ah, ok i guess i missed it. Well.. since Bronzium is quite significant source of SSC it should be adjusted asap
  • Ultra
    11423 posts Moderator
    Really good change

It helps newer players, and players who took a break to catch up with the game

I do like how there is still importance on newer toons (one year mark)

I like how they are handling the shard shop situation. We aren’t getting less than we currently are

Hopefully, we get a much needed economy change to gear, and relic salvage conversion - relics are endgame “gear” thats missing in every endgame content other than Assault Battles, and TB
  • So will this affect the character shards or gear we can buy with crystals from the weekly shipmemts store?
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Really good change

I like how they are handling the shard shop situation. We aren’t getting less than we currently are

Read it again

• Ultra
    11423 posts Moderator
    Gouj4 wrote: »

Ah, ok i guess i missed it. Well.. since Bronzium is quite significant source of SSC it should be adjusted asap

Yes, Bronziums are my biggest source of ssc, and we’ll be getting half the shard shop currency with the new change, so I hope they double the rates there ASAP too
  • Yeah if this doesn't include Bronzium straight out of the gate, then I don't want it.
  • When can we expect to see these changes?
  • Really impressed with this. Sent it to my guild discord and everyone is very happy with it as we’re pretty much all newer players. Going to make a huge difference for us in terms of progression and catching up and makes the grind for any new players all the less daunting. Really good news :)
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    Great for new players.

Bad for older players until they fix bronziums. And I'm not convinced they will.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • I'm very curious as to what changes will be made if any to character shard packs, journey guide packs etc, as with a doubled drop rate the crystal value of the shards is doubly worse...
  • Can't believe the first page of posts on this are mostly negative because of the SSC issue. They are working on it, and in the meantime newer players get a massive boost which is great for the game. I'm 6M GP so I'll be effected by this but I think its pretty easy to take a step back and see that this is great overall. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good, roll this out ASAP and fix the SSC issue when you can.
  • Big nerf to the shard shop, until they fix the bronzium packs issue.
    Why don't they wait until the problem is fixed? We are patient, there's no hurry.

Why not just release the update when Bronziums are compatible with it then?
  • This will really help new players engage hopefully. Great update
  • So that's really great for new players, but longtime players who have funded this whole thing get shafted?!?!

Are there any plans to reward existing players, or should we just all go fudge ourselves?

Sounds like a Capital Games gift all right..

Why not just release the update when Bronziums are compatible with it then?

My only guess is they don’t know when that might be and they want to release this update in line with the 5 year anniversary. I can’t speak for CG obviously but that would be my guess
  • When can we expect to see these changes?

Probs a QOL or a Content update, but definitely when is good Q?
    My discord - BabyYoda#4470 My swgoh.gg - https://swgoh.gg/p/648565123/
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Voygliz wrote: »
    u8zoiq61p2l3.jpg
    That's simply not true.
    In fact, items will be more expensive, as everything will cost double but most of of currency will come from older toons whose change will be same.
    When we recieve a 50x shards of an old toon it will be 750 currency either way, but now items will be 2x expensive.

If this was not what you were looking for, check it out. If not, tell us you're making things more expensive but don't lie to us.
    Simple maths.

please go back and read it again.

it works out to equal, for any shards, the only down side is bronzium at this point.
  • Ultra
    11423 posts Moderator
    Fleet blueprints are not included in the accelerated list. Will one year and older fleets drop rate in hard nodes remain 1 blueprint?
  • Who ISN’T accelerated? Can we get a list of that?