Hi Holotable Heroes,
Our 5th Anniversary is fast approaching and we have some exciting news for this month! Starting with the 5th year celebration, we will be increasing the Shard drop count on most nodes and the currency-to-Shard rate in many stores.
Character Shards are the first big hurdle that new players hit and it’s a hurdle that’s grown over the last 5 years, from around 60 characters at launch to now over 200 (including ships)! Our intent with this change is to help all players expand their collections faster, and in particular to help new players progress in the game. To that end we will be broadly increasing the Shard drop count for many characters. We’re also adjusting conversion rates and prices in the Shard Shop to keep these changes effectively neutral for this store.
To dive into the details -- there are now effectively two groups of Character Shards -- Original Rate and Accelerated. (See the list below for which characters are in the Accelerated category).
- Original Rate characters are made up of New and Exclusive characters. Generally, this set includes those characters exclusive to Raids, Journey Guide, Territory Battles, and certain high-value currencies. This also includes all Ships blueprints.
- Accelerated characters are typically those found on Nodes and in various Stores.
- New Marquee characters will launch as Original Rate characters, and move to the Accelerated list approximately 1 year after their release. (eg The Mandalorian will move to Accelerated in April/May 2021)
As the primary impact of these changes, Accelerated Characters have their Shard distribution doubled in most modes:
- Combat nodes drop 2 Shards instead of 1. This increases to 4 during Double Drops.
- Store Shipments provide twice as many Shards for the same amount of currency (ex: 10 for the price of 5 previously).
- Includes Galactic War and non-Journey Guide Events. (ex: Assault Battles)
- Does not include Quests & Achievements.
- Does not include Bronzium Data Cards due to a technical issue. We will explore increasing this rate in a future update.
Due to the resulting variation in between Shards, we are modifying the Shard Shop to keep Shard-to-Purchase ratios unchanged. Under the hood, this means we are doubling all sources of Shard Shop Currency, doubling in-store costs, and then doubling unspent Shard Shop Currency on all accounts when these changes go live.
- Accelerated-Farm Characters keep their conversion the same (1 Shard > 15 SSC).
- Original Rate characters have their conversion doubled (1 Shard > 30 SSC).
- For ships, this doubles such that 1 Shard > 38 SSC
- All Shard Shop Store items will cost twice as much to match this doubled income.
- When these changes are released, we will double all players’ Shard Shop Currency.
- As these changes approach, note that Shards remain worth the same “buying power” (relative to store price) no matter when you cash them in. There is no extra value from saving it up and waiting.
- In the future, a Character or Ship moving from Original to Accelerated group will have its exchange rate adjusted accordingly.
TL;DR Summary: Accelerated Characters will now reach 7 Stars twice as quickly for all players. Shard Shop purchasing is unchanged, all the numbers are just doubled.
These changes clearly open the door to conversations about other economies, including Gear. Without making promises, we are in the midst of exploring how this could change in the future - but we need to adjust Shard rates first. Shards play a foundational role in Galaxy of Heroes and have a cascading impact into subsequent economies. This makes them an essential place to start and finish before we make adjustments to systems that will be affected by changes to Shards.
We will be carefully monitoring how these changes impact the overall game economy, listening for feedback, and considering follow-up changes. Thank you for reading, and we will have more to share in our Anniversary announcement.
See you on the Holotables!
LIST OF ACCELERATED CHARACTERS:
Ahsoka Tano (Fulcrum)
B1 Battle Droid
B2 Super Battle Droid
Bastila Shan (Fallen)
Captain Han Solo
Clone Sergeant - Phase I
Clone Wars Chewbacca
Coruscant Underworld Police
First Order Executioner
First Order Officer
First Order SF TIE Pilot
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order TIE Pilot
Garazeb "Zeb" Orrelios
Geonosian Brood Alpha
Grand Moff Tarkin
Hoth Rebel Scout
Hoth Rebel Soldier
Imperial Super Commando
Jedi Knight Anakin
Jedi Knight Guardian
Kylo Ren (Unmasked)
Luke Skywalker (Farmboy)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Old Ben)
Poggle the Lesser
Resistance Hero Finn
Resistance Hero Poe
Scarif Rebel Pathfinder
Sith Empire Trooper
TIE Fighter Pilot
Veteran Smuggler Chewbacca
Veteran Smuggler Han Solo
Young Han Solo
Young Lando Calrissian