Shard Economy Changes [MEGA]

Replies

• On the Bronziums: while the shards are probably easy enough to change once they figure out how to code it (dropping 2 shards), a full character unlock will now be worth less, as it gives a set amount of shards which would then translate into less shard shop currency.

I don’t know what ways there are to fix that, as doubling the shards makes little sense. Perhaps doubling the chances of full character unlocks?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Voygliz wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    u8zoiq61p2l3.jpg
    That's simply not true.
    In fact, items will be more expensive, as everything will cost double but most of of currency will come from older toons whose change will be same.
    When we recieve a 50x shards of an old toon it will be 750 currency either way, but now items will be 2x expensive.

If this was not what you were looking for, check it out. If not, tell us you're making things more expensive but don't lie to us.
    Simple maths.

please go back and read it again.

it works out to equal, for any shards, the only down side is bronzium at this point.

Bronzium and quests and achievements. Where most older players obtain most of this currency. Unless you double that, you're making it more expensive.

I already said bronzium.

I dont think anyone would call achievements a source they really look at for shard shop currency.

I'm not sure what you mean by quests.

bronzium is a solid source of **** currency, i agree, trying to get an idea of a timeline if they have one. . but as they said it has the same buying power in all other cases.
  • UdalCuain wrote: »
    Amerys wrote: »
    u8zoiq61p2l3.jpg
    That's simply not true.
    In fact, items will be more expensive, as everything will cost double but most of of currency will come from older toons whose change will be same.
    When we recieve a 50x shards of an old toon it will be 750 currency either way, but now items will be 2x expensive.

If this was not what you were looking for, check it out. If not, tell us you're making things more expensive but don't lie to us.
    Simple maths.

it works out to equal, for any shards, the only down side is bronzium at this point.

Not just bronziums but also raid character shards which make up a good chunk of shard shop currency

Which have their shard shop value doubled.
    nope they dont
  • My two cents on this as an established player with a lower account and a bunch of friends newly invested in the game is very conflicted. On the one hand, this is incredible for farming shards, a huge boost, a great way to push out legendaries and such to newer players by cutting the farming down a notch.

On the other hand, if only original rate characters are double currency in the shard shop, and the ways to get these characters are limited, on top of the double drop characters being "original drop rate" in bronzium cards, then they have created a new economy problem. It's a small net negative, because you can always get shards elsewhere other than bronzium packs, but my main account regularly racks up six digits of ally token for those cards, and when I purge that currency, I end up racking up thousands of SSC. This does effectively halve the value of all of my shard shop currency farming until I've maxed out every other character in the game. Anyone pretending it doesn't actually have a negative impact is lying.

We can't forget that this is amazing for newer players, but in the end, this still creates an economy problem. If people can now rush along faster to getting characters and getting legendaries, they will need to fix the credit crunch in the middle levels. If new accounts can get dozens of characters to seven stars before even hitting max level, it will be costing them millions upon millions of credits. The credit crunch will become discouraging to some and actually lengthens the grind in some cases due to limited ways to effectively farm credits in large numbers. On top of that, if new players push past the credit crunch and now have dozens of seven star characters, shard shop gear and other end game farming avenues become more essential. These accounts will then bump into the problem us larger accounts will already have, and thus in the end, it's a huuuuuge net negative in exchange for a short, problematic boost to new accounts.
  • Double the bronzium currency until you can "fix" it.
  • Why not keep the bronzium character shards on the double SSC conversion rate until you figure out how to double the drops in bronziums?

Pro: Keeps endgame player economy mostly the same

Con: Maybe a few endgame players farm those specific character nodes for a handful of extra SSC (but I’m betting most will continue just farming gear).

That seems like it would be much better for the endgame community, at a minimal cost to CG, rather than just hosing the endgame economy.

cc @CG_Doja_Fett
  • Ultra
    11423 posts Moderator
    u8zoiq61p2l3.jpg
    That's simply not true.

Simple maths.

Bronzium and quests and achievements. Where most older players obtain most of this currency. Unless you double that, you're making it more expensive.

I already said bronzium.

I dont think anyone would call achievements a source they really look at for shard shop currency.

bronzium is a solid source of **** currency, i agree, trying to get an idea of a timeline if they have one. . but as they said it has the same buying power in all other cases.

There is a quest that is unlocked after purchasing the hyperdrive bundle that rewards you 10 Raid Han shards for hitting the door panel 10 times in the pit raid

As opposed to achievements, such as win squad arena 25k times for 5 Vader shards

Its not significant enough to matter IMO
  • @CG_Doja_Fett @Kyno
    Rather than waste time trying to fix the Bronzium drops, why not just add more gear to the Weekly Shipments that is purchased with Ally Points?

Surely there is a table from which the average shards per Bronzium pack can be calculated so that the gear can be priced consistently with how it is now in the Shard Shop. Put in some Mk 12 Fusions, Mk 5 Stun Guns, Mk 8 Electrobinoculars and voila, you're done. As an added bonus we won't need to open 50 Bronzium packs every day...
  • Why not keep the bronzium character shards on the double SSC conversion rate until you figure out how to double the drops in bronziums?

Pro: Keeps endgame player economy mostly the same

Con: Maybe a few endgame players farm those specific character nodes for a handful of extra SSC (but I’m betting most will continue just farming gear).

That seems like it would be much better for the endgame community, at a minimal cost to CG, rather than just hosing the endgame economy.

cc @CG_Doja_Fett

My guess is that the Original/Accelerated is coded into the Character themselves, so it can’t treat the same shards from different sources as having different exchange rates.

Ultowe wrote: »
    UdalCuain wrote: »
    Amerys wrote: »
    u8zoiq61p2l3.jpg
    That's simply not true.

Simple maths.

Not just bronziums but also raid character shards which make up a good chunk of shard shop currency

Which have their shard shop value doubled.
    nope they dont

They do. Raid characters are Original. Original characters have doubled Shard Shop currency exchange rates.
  • Ultowe
    38 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    u8zoiq61p2l3.jpg
    That's simply not true.

Simple maths.

I already said bronzium.

nope they will still have vule of 1 = 15
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    Hockster wrote: »
    Rather see the actual drop rate of shards get improved. So many times have gone days without a single shard. 2X0 is still 0

and 2x1 is now 2x2

there's literally no difference
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Cant you guys just go into source code and double the bronzium charater shard drops ?
  • Ultowe wrote: »
    u8zoiq61p2l3.jpg
    That's simply not true.

Simple maths.

I already said bronzium.

You’re quoting something different here.

“ Original Rate characters are made up of New and Exclusive characters. Generally, this set includes those characters exclusive to Raids, Journey Guide, Territory Battles, and certain high-value currencies. This also includes all Ships blueprints.”

“ Accelerated-Farm Characters keep their conversion the same (1 Shard > 15 SSC).
    Original Rate characters have their conversion doubled (1 Shard > 30 SSC).
  • TargetEadu wrote: »
    u8zoiq61p2l3.jpg
    That's simply not true.

Simple maths.

I already said bronzium.

“ Original Rate characters are made up of New and Exclusive characters. Generally, this set includes those characters exclusive to Raids, Journey Guide, Territory Battles, and certain high-value currencies. This also includes all Ships blueprints.”

“ Accelerated-Farm Characters keep their conversion the same (1 Shard > 15 SSC).

He's referring to the Bronzium drops not being doubled. Every character in the Bronzium packs is accelerated, hence being worth 15 SSC, but we won't get double the drops. This effectively halves all SSC income from Bronzium packs.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    u8zoiq61p2l3.jpg
    That's simply not true.

Simple maths.

I already said bronzium.

any shard that has its value stay the same as it is now, will be doubled at the source, except in places like bronzium.
  • Wow this commumity is really toxic and self centered. Really surprised.

Even though it might have a minor issue which is being looked into I would expect people to be happy with a major change like this. But it looks like people here will only be happy whit improvements if it benefits themselves.

Thats how the world is these days I guess. I'm really sorry for you guys living in such a cup half empty world.

Enjoy your day
    u8zoiq61p2l3.jpg
    That's simply not true.

Simple maths.

I already said bronzium.

He's referring to the Bronzium drops not being doubled. Every character in the Bronzium packs is accelerated, hence being worth 15 SSC, but we won't get double the drops. This effectively halves all SSC income from Bronzium packs.

The post they originally quoted also concerned Raid characters, which do have corrected Shard Shop values.

Maybe that was just me misunderstanding what they were referring to, but my point stands.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    u8zoiq61p2l3.jpg
    That's simply not true.

Simple maths.

I already said bronzium.

any shard that has its value stay the same as it is now, will be doubled at the source, except in places like bronzium.

Yes, that's what the problem is. For many people, the main source of SSC is bronzium cards, meaning that our main SSC income source effectively got cut in half, since everything in the shop will be double priced now. If they expect me to go wahoo because if I buy Mace Windu shards from the arena shop, they're doubled, then they don't understand their own endgame economy. HUUUGE for new players, I will agree, but all the bronzium characters not being doubled there is a HUUUUGE negative for late players. It's not just a boon to the newbies, it's a detriment to the rest of us.
  • And what shall we do with all these chars on level 7 or 8, because of missing stun guns etc? The problem are not the shards...it is the equipment
  • DubbQ wrote: »
    Wow this commumity is really toxic and self centered. Really surprised.

Even though it might have a minor issue which is being looked into I would expect people to be happy with a major change like this. But it looks like people here will only be happy whit improvements if it benefits themselves.

Thats how the world is these days I guess. I'm really sorry for you guys living in such a cup half empty world.

Enjoy your day
    My two cents on this as an established player with a lower account and a bunch of friends newly invested in the game is very conflicted. On the one hand, this is incredible for farming shards, a huge boost, a great way to push out legendaries and such to newer players by cutting the farming down a notch.

On the other hand, if only original rate characters are double currency in the shard shop, and the ways to get these characters are limited, on top of the double drop characters being "original drop rate" in bronzium cards, then they have created a new economy problem. It's a small net negative, because you can always get shards elsewhere other than bronzium packs, but my main account regularly racks up six digits of ally token for those cards, and when I purge that currency, I end up racking up thousands of SSC. This does effectively halve the value of all of my shard shop currency farming until I've maxed out every other character in the game. Anyone pretending it doesn't actually have a negative impact is lying.

We can't forget that this is amazing for newer players, but in the end, this still creates an economy problem. If people can now rush along faster to getting characters and getting legendaries, they will need to fix the credit crunch in the middle levels. If new accounts can get dozens of characters to seven stars before even hitting max level, it will be costing them millions upon millions of credits. The credit crunch will become discouraging to some and actually lengthens the grind in some cases due to limited ways to effectively farm credits in large numbers. On top of that, if new players push past the credit crunch and now have dozens of seven star characters, shard shop gear and other end game farming avenues become more essential. These accounts will then bump into the problem us larger accounts will already have, and thus in the end, it's a huuuuuge net negative in exchange for a short, problematic boost to new accounts.

I know it's a long read, but people who think I'm being negative just for the sake of negativity should read my earlier comments. This is great for new players IN THE SHORT TERM, I do concede that much. But if everyone can rush endgame faster (and escape the credit crunch somehow), then the endgame problems ARE new player problems.
  • Ultra
    11423 posts Moderator
    DubbQ wrote: »

Enjoy your day
    People haven't been toxic (for the most part) so far. Yeah, this is a really good change, but the problem is that it does affect negatively to some players. The issue being minor (to you) or major (to others) depends on each player. Its fine for players to express concerns when they are being negatively affected by a change

I think less people would be expressing concerns if they received no benefit, others were benefiting, and they weren't affected negatively, which isn't the case

Most complaints ITT aren't about the shard economy change, but rather bronzium value not being scaled up
    TargetEadu wrote: »
    u8zoiq61p2l3.jpg
    That's simply not true.

Simple maths.

I already said bronzium.

The post they originally quoted also concerned Raid characters, which do have corrected Shard Shop values.

Maybe that was just me misunderstanding what they were referring to, but my point stands.

Take a quick look at the list of Accelerated characters, I think we're arguing a moot point. Raid characters have their value doubled right? Because they aren't on the list of double drop characters. So the value of raids remains static, while the value of Bronzium packs halves.
  • DubbQ wrote: »

Enjoy your day

Normally I’d be 100% in agreement with you...but this is less about “only being happy with improvements if it benefits themselves” and more with wanting to *at least* maintain the status quo and not slip backwards.

I’m ecstatic to see CG supporting new players like this and helping to catch them up...but still super bummed that it’s going to come at a significant cost to endgame players. I don’t think it’s toxic to feel that way.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    u8zoiq61p2l3.jpg
    That's simply not true.

Simple maths.

I already said bronzium.

Yes, that's what the problem is. For many people, the main source of SSC is bronzium cards, meaning that our main SSC income source effectively got cut in half, since everything in the shop will be double priced now. If they expect me to go wahoo because if I buy Mace Windu shards from the arena shop, they're doubled, then they don't understand their own endgame economy. HUUUGE for new players, I will agree, but all the bronzium characters not being doubled there is a HUUUUGE negative for late players. It's not just a boon to the newbies, it's a detriment to the rest of us.

Good so we can agree its a good thing. I'm happy we can agree on that.

yes its going to be a minor issue for older players, but 1 - they are looking at the fix. and 2 - more newer players/faster progression for players is a good thing for everyone, even if that is not directly you.
    u8zoiq61p2l3.jpg
    That's simply not true.

Simple maths.

I already said bronzium.

yes its going to be a minor issue for older players, but 1 - they are looking at the fix. and 2 - more newer players/faster progression for players is a good thing for everyone, even if that is not directly you.

Hard disagree on that second part unless the gear and credit crunch are fixed. Fast progression like that breeds impatience, and newer players hitting the end game brick wall we've described and running into the same economy issues faster is only good for them as long as they remain new. And since they won't remain new very long in this new update, the problem will affect them too. It doesn't exactly "create" new economy problems, so to speak, but it accelerates them. It exasperates them. The gear crunch isn't helped with double prices, and is in fact hurt until they fix the Bronzium cards, and the credit crunch will tank new player engagement as they get discouraged at the cost of improving characters they already have 330 shards for.

Assuming all of this is true, which it is unless they fix it, then helping new players isn't good for everyone, as the new player engagement will either stay static or even go down in the discouraging new economy.
  • What happens when I have a leftover of important shards...isn’t it then a disadvantage to sell them in the shard shop? As they are not doubled (income)?
    u8zoiq61p2l3.jpg
    That's simply not true.

Simple maths.

I already said bronzium.

Considering the primary source for SSC is ally tokens, I don't think this is really that minor of an issue for older players.
  • wow. just when i thought ea/cg couldnt nerf more stuff to make it harder on long term players. they nerf bronziums and try to make it sound like they actually want to help the community and are doing a service by doing this. shame on ea/cg for this change.