Shard Economy Changes [MEGA]

Replies

• While I would love this, I do see their point in doubling the price so that they don't flood the gear market completely. However I do agree that maybe it should be more like 1.5x the price so as not to bottleneck everyone relying on the Bronzium fix for the SSC income.

Would it really "FLOOD" the market though?
    Given how difficult it is to level a character now days compared to launch, if anything, I think that not touching the Shard shop might take away a small amount of the wall that has grown over the years.
    Its certainly not going to allow mass gearing of multiple teams for sure.

Ultra wrote: »
    half the cost of bronzium to 125 ally points

I completely agree with this!
    Instead of having to alter all the nodes the easiest thing to do here would be to cut the cost of Bronziums in half.
    Hands down the best fix I've seen suggested.
    ...... well, Short of just not touching the shard shop costs that is, as mentioned above.

Ok, this is a lot to comb through. I've asked for a summation of key points raised by the comments in this thread, and will work on getting feedback to address some of those recurring points.

Might take a few days, as tomorrow is a holiday. But, I know the goal here was to make it easier for newer players to unlock and level up units, while also trying as much as possible to minimally effect other parts of the economy for elder players.

Will keep y'all updated when I have more.
    @CG_Doja_Fett
    All I can say is the 2 ideas suggested above are the best options I've seen.
    1 to actually give us a break in the huge gear wall that has risen in 5 years......
    The other to still focus on new players & not actively screw over anyone that uses bronziums in the shard shop which I assume is like 95% of the population that has been playing at least 9+ months.
  • Gifafi wrote: »
    Gifafi wrote: »
    seeing a lot of salt. 2 points:

1. if you are worried about a newer player "catching up" to you bc of some farming changes for older toons, my advice is to git gud.

2. if you are angry bc new players will be able to get things easier than you did. then my advice is to walk everywhere like your forefathers did. Not fair you get to ride in a car. I might allow one of those bicycles with the giant wheel in the front if you post proof your great gpaw rode one. In other words, git gud

If that's what you think most of this thread is about, then you obviously didn't read it all. And if this is your attempt at summarizing a thread that raises genuine concerns about gear crunch and other aspects of the in-game economy, then my advice to you is git gud at reading.

lol of course I haven't read 7 pages of nonsense. I also don't recal saying "most" of whatever this thread is about was what I posted. I opened another thread on the issue and saw the same whining tho, if that helps. But we do have people itt upset bout how this doesn't help their particular gear wants, if that counts
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Gifafi wrote: »
    seeing a lot of salt. 2 points:

1. if you are worried about a newer player "catching up" to you bc of some farming changes for older toons, my advice is to git gud.

2. if you are angry bc new players will be able to get things easier than you did. then my advice is to walk everywhere like your forefathers did. Not fair you get to ride in a car. I might allow one of those bicycles with the giant wheel in the front if you post proof your great gpaw rode one. In other words, git gud

I haven’t seen anyone complain about either of those. Pretty sure people are positive about this change for new players.

The issue, which of course you miss, is that they are not doing anything to ease the gear crunch at all! In fact, they’re making it worse by doubling the shard shop currency, all while keeping bronzonium rates the same, effectively making the crunch worse. So again, CG has failed to help its veteran players and have made things worse actually. Although I must say, the more they do things like this and ignore their veteran players, the easier it is to give my money to MSF over SWGOH 🤷🏻‍♂️

what would doing something for new players have to do with old players? Did you want something too, is that it? Oh, you wanted help with the gear YOU want? I mean, don't we all. Not sure of the relevence tho

also, how is it worse? And has it even happened yet?

You’re the one bringing up non relevant complaints in the thread. Outside of a singular complaint about this helping new players the complaints are bronzoniums being devalued which hurts peoples main source of shard currency which is a big chunk of gear farming.

But I’ll answer your question with another question. Why are you trying to deflect people’s concerns over a lack of mid to end game gear farming by bringing up one complaint about new player help.

I honestly wonder if there’s ever a single thread on this forum that you actually contribute to in a positive manner. I highly doubt it though.
  • So I went and did the bronzium math for my video. If you do all the first level energy refreshes every day, you will be losing 2 full stun gun prototypes a month from the bronzium nerf.
  • RoBane1738 wrote: »
    I don’t see it helping new players much, at current shard drop rates a newer player can’t keep up with the credit cost of leveling and promoting toons to 7*. What good is it to have the shards twice as fast if you can’t do anything with them. Then they have that many more toons to gear and mod.

At its base, I think it’s a great idea and could be very helpful to new players, but other things would have to change at or around the same time for it to actually have good effect.

It makes a six month hard node farm into a 3 month one. That's a big help. As far as the stores go, I'm sure you can find enough credits to promote at least one from every store. After that if several are sitting ready you can still buy the shard currency from the one that they promoted.

They also said they are watching how this affects other parts of the economy. So credits may be something they address later. It may not. The credit crunch is actually pretty temporary. This may prolong it some but not indefinitely. Once you are done with the store farms, you will still get credits much faster than the 6 or so characters you can star up from hard nodes in 3 months.
  • RoBane1738 wrote: »
    I don’t see it helping new players much, at current shard drop rates a newer player can’t keep up with the credit cost of leveling and promoting toons to 7*. What good is it to have the shards twice as fast if you can’t do anything with them. Then they have that many more toons to gear and mod.

At its base, I think it’s a great idea and could be very helpful to new players, but other things would have to change at or around the same time for it to actually have good effect.

Exactly, as long as the gear requirements are the same and it still takes 8.2 million credits to take a toon to level 85 and 7*, more shards faster just means the economy gets crunched even further. Especially for newer players who now have dozens of easily accessible toons begging to be geared up and leveled, but no one has the resources.

This does actually help the gear crunch. You get the stores done twice as fast. Then you start getting more shard currency faster. You then have another source of gear sooner. You do still have to choose who to gear.

Overall, this is a great start at a catchup mechanic for new players.
  • @Rebmes
    Even vets benefit, and get a chance to fill in gaps in their rosters a bit more easily.

Well, most do. I don't have anything to farm except new toons, so it won't matter to me unless I take a break from the game or unless they release so many toons at once that I literally can't finish some of them before a year goes by.

When did they release Cara? I guess she might qualify at some point, though I kinda doubt it. I'm pretty sure I'll finish 3PAC, Piett & MonMothma with plenty of time to take Cara to 7 stars before she's a year old.

If you only have new characters left, then you really don't need the catchup mechanic. This change still made you no worse off then you were before.

And new characters costing more makes a lot of sense since they have more use typically.
  • @Rebmes
    Even vets benefit, and get a chance to fill in gaps in their rosters a bit more easily.

Well, most do. I don't have anything to farm except new toons, so it won't matter to me unless I take a break from the game or unless they release so many toons at once that I literally can't finish some of them before a year goes by.

When did they release Cara? I guess she might qualify at some point, though I kinda doubt it. I'm pretty sure I'll finish 3PAC, Piett & MonMothma with plenty of time to take Cara to 7 stars before she's a year old.

If you only have new characters left, then you really don't need the catchup mechanic. This change still made you no worse off then you were before.

And new characters costing more makes a lot of sense since they have more use typically.

But that's the point, this DOES make veteran players worse off than before because the value of ally points just got sliced in half.
  • I realize that I will be no worse off on farming toons. I'm not complaining. I think this is a great change. I would like to see some sort of adjustment for the Bronzium situation, but I'm fine. Really. I think I've been as vocal an advocate as anyone for a decrease in time between opening an account & the first opportunity to meaningfully participate in each of the TBs (as proxy for general roster development). I'd like to see people meaningfully participating in EvilGeoTB after only a year or a bit more. 18 months at latest. LS Geo TB can take a while after that. I don't have a specific number in mind for LS.

@Bulldog1205
    you will be losing 2 full stun gun prototypes a month from the bronzium nerf.

Um, not possible. You'd have to be getting more than 6 stun gun salvage per day for half your production to be leaving you short 100 salvage.

THAT in turn means you'd have to currently be purchasing 1 lot of 6 salvage per day, plus an extra one every 6-7 days or so.

As it happens, Stun Gun salvage don't show up in the store 1 time per day. You can lose a certain number of ShSh tokens = to the cost of 100 Stun Gun salvage, but you can't actually lose that many salvage since you don't currently get 4 stun gun prototypes per month from there.

I will still always have enough tokens to buy Stun Gun salvage whenever they appear, and I will never lose a single stun gun salvage because of this change.

• Csharpmao
    48 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    CG, sorry, but you took tried to solve the problem the wrong way.
    Admitting the goal is to half the time to promote an old character to 7*, you decided to double the shard won...
    Ok, but then you saw, we must adjust SSC, and then old and new characters don't have the same conversion value, and it become more complex than it should be.

My proposition, instead of all this, half the needed shard for old characters, no other changes needed for shard shop or anything else.
    So, instead of needing
    10 + 15 + 25 + 30 + 65 + 85 + 100 = 330 shards to reach 7*

you only need for old characters
    5 + 8 + 12 + 15 + 33 + 42 + 50 = 165 shards to reach 7*

I've only small hope this proposition is not lost in the rest of this thread, but I had to do it, because I think it would have been the best way to achieve the goal.

Edit : corrected a number
  • Yes, you lose the value of 2 stun prototypes. You can obviously buy whatever you want from there. I was putting it in terms people were more likely to understand. Saying you are losing 3k shard shop currency per month doesn't paint the same picture.
  • If Bronziums aren't going to be included in this change, can we at least get a 10 pack added to the store, so we can more easily use up our current ally points before the new shard economy is implemented?

I've seen suggestions that awarded ally points could be doubled to solve the issue with Bronziums, but then we would also get double everything else that Bronziums generate, not just shards. Perhaps an insignificant bonus, since it is mostly junk, but still perhaps not what is desired.

I've seen suggestions to reduce the cost of rarity based on if a toon is old or new, but that is also a confusing change that means a player who advances a toon just before it is moved from the new to the old category, will lose out significantly, and generate complaints every time. Not a good idea. Keep the cost of stars the same.
  • If they are even remotely concerned with the extra gear we would get if they doubled ally points then they aren't really considering changing the economy to decrease the early/mid level gear bottleneck. Doubling the gear from ally points is close to the least possible thing they could do there.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    How about a title for us veterans? Something like "Did it the hard way" for everyone over certain GP to signify that we got where we are before this easy farm was introduced.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have to go burn 2M ally points before their value is cut in half. And buy a Corgi pet in Path of Exile instead of Kuiil bundle here.
  • Wouldn't all of this be solved by just halving the price of bronzium packs from 250 ally points to 125 ?.
    This would negate the need to do any specific coding to double the shards from bronzium or double the amount of ally points received.
    Also, if you are worried about people hoarding ally points before the update, you can just halve the ally points of all players when the update drops. You've already said that you will double shard shop currency for all players so i don't imagine that to be an issue.
  • Edge66 wrote: »
    Wouldn't all of this be solved by just halving the price of bronzium packs from 250 ally points to 125 ?.
    This would negate the need to do any specific coding to double the shards from bronzium or double the amount of ally points received.
    Also, if you are worried about people hoarding ally points before the update, you can just halve the ally points of all players when the update drops. You've already said that you will double shard shop currency for all players so i don't imagine that to be an issue.

Wow. Nice. You just solved all their technical difficulties. I wonder if CG can do it too.
  • If they are even remotely concerned with the extra gear we would get if they doubled ally points then they aren't really considering changing the economy to decrease the early/mid level gear bottleneck. Doubling the gear from ally points is close to the least possible thing they could do there.

Given their unwillingness to implement any form of mass ally point spending for bronzium (this point was raised more than one time in Q&A), I'm not sure we'll see that. Look at the conversion rate of ally points to gear in the weekly shop - that's the rate they think adequate. I fear that nerfing bronzium may indeed be "technical issue" but fixing it will require about same time as implementing "buy XXX bronzium packs" button... i.e. infinite. :)
  • I think this change is positive overall. New players will still have the choice to make about chasing shards or gear, but saving them energy does help them to spend more energy on the gear requirements they need to move past to get to the new end game state we're in.

As for the Bronzium packs, I hope it gets fixed in a timely manner. I don't think it's as desperate as people are making it out to be since GW table generates more SSC for me with ABs taking a close third to Ally points. It is still an important source of SSC though and should be corrected. I doubt they'll do anything to change the rate at which Bronzium packs are purchased since that has a direct impact on Relic levels.

Another good step forward to improving the game for the long term.
  • This is great for newer players, forget credit crunch, this is positive news. Don’t understand all the moaning?
    I’ve played since December 2015 so only have 2 characters in accelerated group left to 7 star so doesn’t help me really, but I don’t care as overall will benefit guilds and the community as a whole.

I do Think the suggested doubling of ally points to help with gear crunch with SSC makes sense and is relatively easy to implement too.

Finally any word on date this change will occur?

• Fix the bronzium pack thing day one! Otherwise this is an actual reduction of gear flow for older players, that is not acceptable at all. CG is stingy but this stingy is on the point of ludicrous.
  • Cg is doing everything to make the gear crunch the crunchiest of all games. Thanks for that, even less gear we can obtain, nice change to the game economy. That was exactly what I expected!
  • Having re-read a few times and reflected upon my initial reaction I believe that whilst overall this change is extremely positive it does contain some drawbacks and inherent problems.

Doubling the amount of daily free Bronziums, and doubling the number of ally points received would address to a large extent the negative feeling toward the reduced "Buying Power" which in essence increases the gear crunch for existing players. Equally it'd be really really nice if the timer on the free Bronziums could be drastically reduced, in the same what the timer on Sim Challenges is reduced at level 85 from 10mins to 5s.

For new players the changes will accelerate the early game which is great, but at the same time merely accelerates them into the brick wall of Credit and Gear crunches, if this is the first step toward rebalance it would be great if there would be some further information towards gear crunch easing.
  • Seriously, there are times when I despair of some of the players on this forum.

*CG Announces a new EndGame feature*
    This Forum: Wait, what about the newer players and the non-Whales?
    *CG Announces another new EndGame feature*
    *CG Announces yet another new EndGame feature*
    *CG Announces a new feature designed to make things easier for newer players and non-Whales*
    This Forum: Wait, what about the older players and the Whales?!
  • Stenun wrote: »
    Seriously, there are times when I despair of some of the players on this forum.

*CG Announces a new EndGame feature*
    *CG Announces another new EndGame feature*
    *CG Announces yet another new EndGame feature*
    *CG Announces a new feature designed to make things easier for newer players and non-Whales*
    This Forum: Wait, what about the older players and the Whales?!

It seems like that for sure, but in this case older players are having their gear income reduced. If nothing was happening to them, they'd probably be perfectly fine with it, other than those people who feel "why are new players getting it easier, I had to work hard for my stuff"
  • What’s perfect for CG is, that the new players get new chars quickly to 7 stars and then...need stun guns and all the other missing stuff...it will be more difficult to get these stuff and due to the bronzium fail it is harder to get...probably also new players will buy this equipment for crystals...nice income...for more or less useless chars...and come on CG...technical issues? Nice try....
  • Here’s a friendly tip for CG for the future.
    Whenever you do decide to make changes to the in game economy affecting the flow of anything of perceived value to the player base, always err on the side of being a bit too generous towards all players. Your bean counters might react with their gut feeling of seeing it as lost potential revenue because it can be directly or indirectly mapped to crystals that can be bought for real money. But push down that feeling and consider that this is an infinite resource consumption game, it doesn’t matter if you reduce one pay wall slightly, another one is always there for the players to spend on.
    The importance is the positive feeling of the player base that will reduce churn and thus keep players active longer and strangely enough spending more in the long run.
  • CG is just shifting the problem...beside that bronzium issue it is easier for new player to get 7 star, but then? Without increasing possibilities to get stun guns and similar stuff it makes no difference. I am playing for 4 years now and have plenty of chars on gear level 9-11 because of missing equipment and no chance to upgrade (unless I stop farming for most important chars like the GL or JKL)...and all these chars on that level are nearly useless.
  • really? complaining about bronzium?

this change is really really good!
    i have about 3.7 MioGP and there are a lot of toons i still have to 7* - quite a few of them are one the list.

i understand for being a vet spending a huge amount of money, having every toon at 7* it is boring or a bad update, but for everyone else it is a huge opportunity
  • Probably far too difficult but why not change the shards required to unlock or star up by half for the older toons to 165 instead of 330?