Shard Economy Changes [MEGA]

Replies

• TVF wrote: »
    1) spend all your ally points now and up through the change going live
    2) after the change goes live, save all your ally points until they update bronziums to re-level them

problem solved

(unless they never re-level, of course)

I guess this is where I'm at. And call me jaded, but CG has been saying that various adjustments to bronziums are impossible because of "technical issues" for literally years. I'd like for this to be the time they actually make it happen, but I'm not holding my breath, anyway.

With a little extra thought, they could have headed off all of this by just doubling the ally point income. We know this is possible to adjust, because they've done it several times before. I suppose it would cause the economic side effect of increasing the early-game gear income. But that would seem to align with their stated goal: making early-game catchup more feasible.
  • 1st option, easiest option: Half the cost of bronzium packs from 250 ally tokens to 125 ally tokens.
    This option will essentially double the amount of bronzium packs you will be able to open with the farming you use. This will make up for the fact that the character shards aren't doubled. I feel this would be the easiest option to employ because you should be changing one value in the bronzium pack code. This should be a quick and easy fix.

So that we can all sit there mindlessly tapping a button for twice as long? Please no. Not unless they fix the "Buy again" button so you can buy more than one at a time.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    RebelLion wrote: »
    1st option, easiest option: Half the cost of bronzium packs from 250 ally tokens to 125 ally tokens.
    This option will essentially double the amount of bronzium packs you will be able to open with the farming you use. This will make up for the fact that the character shards aren't doubled. I feel this would be the easiest option to employ because you should be changing one value in the bronzium pack code. This should be a quick and easy fix.

So that we can all sit there mindlessly tapping a button for twice as long? Please no. Not unless they fix the "Buy again" button so you can buy more than one at a time.

autoclicker says hi
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • KKatarn
    629 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Only CG would call nerfing the best gear store a "update".

"Does not include Bronzium Data Cards due to a technical issue. We will explore increasing this rate in a future update".

Just like Kryos were supposed to be the answer to the gear bottlenecks, right CG?
  • Obviously they want everyone to deplete their ally point hoards ... which must mean they are bringing back tournaments! I'm holding my pile, gonna get the jump on the competition when it happens.

Mostly a freeloader with 5.7M GP since Nov 2015 ... this change to bronzium value is frankly insignificant to me. I barely even touch the stuff, but I do like the rare 80 shard windfall.

I do not believe for a second that this "technical issue" is too hard for them to solve before dropping the change. They just do not want to do it and we know they have a reason. If it smells like Bantha poodoo, it probably is.
  • gufu21 wrote: »
    With a little extra thought, they could have headed off all of this by just doubling the ally point income. We know this is possible to adjust, because they've done it several times before. I suppose it would cause the economic side effect of increasing the early-game gear income. But that would seem to align with their stated goal: making early-game catchup more feasible.

But this would flood the market with those 500-credit drops and 1* training droids! You know, those other bits that drop out of Bronzium packs more often than character shards.
  • gufu21 wrote: »

But this would flood the market with those 500-credit drops and 1* training droids! You know, those other bits that drop out of Bronzium packs more often than character shards.

That must be how they plan to ease the resource crunch, doubling the rate Bronzium's drop 500 credits, it's genius!
  • Lots of people saying the free bronzium daily cap needs to be doubled...but if I'm not mistaken, didn't they double it from 5 to 10 like six months ago?

Everyone's all up in arms about the halved currency from bronzium packs...personally I get most of my extra character shards by spending currency on other shops I've farmed out on toons just for the currency conversion...bronzium character shards are largely an insignificant part of my shard accrual

• Shadowmaster4
    475 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    03Chaos wrote: »
    Lots of people saying the free bronzium daily cap needs to be doubled...but if I'm not mistaken, didn't they double it from 5 to 10 like six months ago?

Everyone's all up in arms about the halved currency from bronzium packs...personally I get most of my extra character shards by spending currency on other shops I've farmed out on toons just for the currency conversion...bronzium character shards are largely an insignificant part of my shard accrual

True this is a way to replace the lost income, but also for the record, almost every shop comes with more valuable stuff to farm than shards once you've finished the shard farm. Mainly high level ability mats, or ship blueprints which won't be double drops. Bronziums are relatively useless except in the scope of relics (which they won't change) and SSC.

And your experiences aren't universal, most people can easily pull five shards (if not 80 from a full character) from Bronziums using less than a day's worth of ally points. Many people do this when farming for gear so they can get "free" stuff from the Shard Shop.

Relatively speaking, this means a regular, easily accessible, and otherwise useless source of SSC goes from an easy 75 daily minimum (if people cash any in) to 150 daily minimum with the potential for huge growth if they also doubled full character drops. Keeping it at 75 per five shards is actually huge the longer they go without a fix. If that means we're losing around 75 SSC a day in our example, and CG goes six months before a fix, that's a potential (and probably lowballed honestly) loss of almost 14000 SSC, which is 75 stun gun shipments. Now even when the gear cost gets doubled, that's a net loss of over 37 shipments worth. As a net loss, that's huge. Even more huge knowing that the time frame of 6 months isn't hugely out of the question.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    What impact does this accelerated collection of character shard impact the credit economy for newer players? Credits are a struggle for players until they reach about 3mil GP. If newer players are star-leveling characters at twice the rate they were before, doesn’t create twice the strain on credits?

I don't see it having any impact at all personally. My account is 2.5 million GP and I've progressed faster than the fast majority of players because of the amount I've spent on the account. With the exception of 1 instance during a livestream because I needed the credits literally that instant, I haven't spent any resources, even arena currency, on credits. And I have a huge surplus. I buy mods from the mod shop 2-3x a week because I have the credits available.

If you have a long term credit crunch you are probably spending credits to level and star up characters that you can't gear yet anyways.

Part of me wonders if this is simply CG seeing a way to make more money from gear. If new players are getting these characters to 7 star quicker they are going to want to gear them quicker to keep up.

Bottom line is gear is almost always the bottle neck. It's the most expensive part of the game. And this update does nothing to change that. Giving new players quicker access to characters isnt all that helpful if they can't gear them up anyways.

I wonder this also. Like I said this only helps one part of the resource acquisition needed for a character, it is not meant to help all.
    I see one of 2 things
    New players where not using crystals to get gear new units, so if you can 7* them faster you may be tempted to spend on gearing them
    or
    New players where not sticking around because the farms where too long.
  • ea/cg cant do something to help the community without taking something away. so they give one thing but take something else away. as a player that has been around since nov 2015 when the game started i know ea/cg doesnt care about me anymore. thats the statement they make when they do something for new players and take something away from us longtime players on a 5th year anniversary change. thats how i see it. if you do something for the community it should universally benefit the community. i am all for helping newer players but not at the detriment of the majority of the community.
  • ea/cg cant do something to help the community without taking something away. so they give one thing but take something else away. as a player that has been around since nov 2015 when the game started i know ea/cg doesnt care about me anymore. thats the statement they make when they do something for new players and take something away from us longtime players on a 5th year anniversary change. thats how i see it. if you do something for the community it should universally benefit the community. i am all for helping newer players but not at the detriment of the majority of the community.

I agree wholeheartedly on your comment. I am close if not a day one player. I have read all the past Q&A’s and provided feedback to surveys to all see it ignored (i.e. gear crunch) The game made it five years on the backs of us long term players. I am all for helping newer players as they have way more characters to farm than we did...however the gear acquisition has no way kept up. A nice gesture of keeping the shard shop cost the same, as it is now, instead of doubling it would have helped EVERYONE and would have been seen as them listening to their player base...especially after kyro addition under the guise it would help “diversify” the gear requirements to only turn into another gear wall. What is the plan for year 6 anniversary? What will be taken away then? We have had more nerfs in 2020 than content. Think about that!!
  • Fieldgulls wrote: »
    ea/cg cant do something to help the community without taking something away. so they give one thing but take something else away. as a player that has been around since nov 2015 when the game started i know ea/cg doesnt care about me anymore. thats the statement they make when they do something for new players and take something away from us longtime players on a 5th year anniversary change. thats how i see it. if you do something for the community it should universally benefit the community. i am all for helping newer players but not at the detriment of the majority of the community.

I agree wholeheartedly on your comment. I am close if not a day one player. I have read all the past Q&A’s and provided feedback to surveys to all see it ignored (i.e. gear crunch) The game made it five years on the backs of us long term players. I am all for helping newer players as they have way more characters to farm than we did...however the gear acquisition has no way kept up. A nice gesture of keeping the shard shop cost the same, as it is now, instead of doubling it would have helped EVERYONE and would have been seen as them listening to their player base...especially after kyro addition under the guise it would help “diversify” the gear requirements to only turn into another gear wall. What is the plan for year 6 anniversary? What will be taken away then? We have had more nerfs in 2020 than content. Think about that!!

How do you assess gear acquisition not keeping up?

When I look at the evolution of my roster it's not as bad as majority claims. To give an idea of the conditions, f2p, both arena top income, very rarely buy gear but always 3x farm. At the time g13 was introduced I had 80 g12s. Right now I have 65 g13s and 63 g12s. I bet g13 count will exceed previous g12 count before the new gear thingie is here. Stun things are waning as a bottleneck for me while kyro and fleet g12+ needs (especially mk12 furnace and stun cuffs) are becoming more prominent. This is very much by design and everyone hits it at some point.
  • Oh goodie... i may actually finish 7 starring URoRRuR'R'R
  • Shadowmaster4
    475 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    To those saying the gear crunch is by design and it shouldn't matter if it's temporarily worse:

Yes but new updates meant to expedite gameplay shouldn't exasperate something bad, even if it's by design. That's not helpful to anyone, it's detrimental.

• I have so many points to add to this, but to illustrate, here’s 10k points spent the other day. dc9yhffjfkvv.png
    This is how I farm g12 stuff. Scale or double or whatever, don’t nerf this.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Drim
    359 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    This is a huge blow to veterans. The fact CG did not do the math on how much currency will be losing from Bronzium is crazy. The lack of understanding how endgame players use this currency is staggering. This has nothing to do with yes this will help new people this has everything thing to do on how bad this is for Veterans. The math is out we “any one that understands math” this is like 1-3 less full stun guns a month. If your defense is you didn’t use this resource that’s your problem
  • I have so many points to add to this, but to illustrate, here’s 10k points spent the other day. dc9yhffjfkvv.png
    This is how I farm g12 stuff. Scale or double or whatever, don’t nerf this.

Seeing this math, even if it isn't 100% the norm, is huge. 10k points is not a whole lot. But that is enough SSC to get you ten shipments of stun guns, or 60 salvage. Doubling the prices without doubling this source of income cuts that to 30 salvage and the only way to make it up is to either waste enough energy or other currencies to make up for 1725 SSC. That's a huge opportunity cost
  • Drim wrote: »
    This is a huge blow to veterans. The fact CG did not do the math on how much currency will be losing from Bronzium is crazy. The lack of understanding how endgame players use this currency is staggering. This has nothing to do with yes this will help new people this has everything thing to do on how bad this is for Veterans. The math is out we “any one that understands math” this is like 1-3 less full stun guns a month. If your defense is you didn’t use this resource that’s your problem

............Not really. I mean. Not unless stun guns come up for you every refresh, in which case good for you? The bottleneck isn't the amount of shard shop currency you have at one time, it's that stun guns come up so infrequently.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Shadowmaster4
    475 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    NicWester wrote: »
    Drim wrote: »

............Not really. I mean. Not unless stun guns come up for you every refresh, in which case good for you? The bottleneck isn't the amount of shard shop currency you have at one time, it's that stun guns come up so infrequently.

Well yeah, but even if they buffed the stun gun appearance rate but nerfed the biggest form of SSC for many veterans, then we'd be complaining that you can't buy the stun guns when they do show up. It's a lose-lose until they fix either the prices or the bronzium packs "technical difficulties."

Also if you're willing to sink a few crystal refreshes in each day, they may very well show up for you regularly enough to lose a full stun gun or more each month.
  • SSC is one of my best source of stun guns and cuffs. Bronziums got removed from marquees quite a while back. CG doesn't like to give stuff for free and always likes to deliver Trojan horses disguised as good for the players.
  • I have so many points to add to this, but to illustrate, here’s 10k points spent the other day. This is how I farm g12 stuff. Scale or double or whatever, don’t nerf this.

That's a pretty big statistical outlier since you got a 4-star character's full unlock. Are you getting those every week? So it's not exactly a very good example to use as your baseline.

The rule of thumb is that you get 1 shard per 1000 tokens on average (which includes getting 1-star character unlocks for their 10 shards). There's going to be a dip in income, but I really don't think it's going to be that major. There are a lot of sources for getting shards that going to be effectively unchanged.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    I have so many points to add to this, but to illustrate, here’s 10k points spent the other day. This is how I farm g12 stuff. Scale or double or whatever, don’t nerf this.

That's a pretty big statistical outlier since you got a 4-star character's full unlock. Are you getting those every week? So it's not exactly a very good example to use as your baseline.

The rule of thumb is that you get 1 shard per 1000 tokens on average (which includes getting 1-star character unlocks for their 10 shards). There's going to be a dip in income, but I really don't think it's going to be that major. There are a lot of sources for getting shards that going to be effectively unchanged.

I don't think it's a huge outlier considering the odds of getting a full character. If you sink over 5 figures into bronzium packs you are pretty likely to get something big eventually. I sink about 10k every week or so and almost always get at least a 50 shard repeat unlock.
  • Are ships going to be reviewed as well?
  • TVF wrote: »

(unless they never re-level, of course)

This is how CG typically handles.
  • Nodes in cantina will also be accelerated correct?
  • How about putting MK5 stun guns in bronzium packs. The gear crunch is far worse than the shard farm. Overall this will be a good update
  • Why not keep the bronzium character shards on the double SSC conversion rate until you figure out how to double the drops in bronziums?

Pro: Keeps endgame player economy mostly the same

Con: Maybe a few endgame players farm those specific character nodes for a handful of extra SSC (but I’m betting most will continue just farming gear).

That seems like it would be much better for the endgame community, at a minimal cost to CG, rather than just hosing the endgame economy.

cc @CG_Doja_Fett

Thats a good fix
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    How about putting MK5 stun guns in bronzium packs. The gear crunch is far worse than the shard farm. Overall this will be a good update

This change is meant to do anything for veteran players or ease the gear crunch, if it was they wouldn't have doubled shard shop gear cost.
    It was meant to be neutral (no change for long time veteran players, and as they have been told they failed at it.
    It has be proven time and again there is no intention of easing the "gear" crunch.
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    Stun guns is just one of the gear, and i could care less about stun guns, as the shard shop is also a big source of income for g12 medpacs, other g12 purple gear, Mk 5 Comlink, stun cuffs etc
    How about putting MK5 stun guns in bronzium packs. The gear crunch is far worse than the shard farm. Overall this will be a good update

Nah, I'd rather be able to use SSC to get the gear rather than rely on a 1 in a million drop for 1 salvage of stun gun or any other bottleneck gear