Taunt and counterattack

Was thinking of how SWGOH would change if counterattacks were not effected by taunt. It interesting to see two similar games do this differently and the strategy differences.
Should counterattacks target the attacker or the taunter?
I know it would never change, and I don’t know if I would want it to, but if it where to change, would it better or worse? Discuss.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Seems like the point of taunting is that you are calling attacks your way, I think it should be way it is in SWGOH.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    I think it used to be like that, but I'm not sure. I am only certain that assists used to be counterable and it was horrible. Also stunned characters used to be able to dodge, while we are discussing early weirdness.
  • Nauros wrote: »
    I think it used to be like that, but I'm not sure. I am only certain that assists used to be counterable and it was horrible. Also stunned characters used to be able to dodge, while we are discussing early weirdness.

It did used to be that way. Pretty sure you could counter stealthed characters too.
  • KueChael
    930 posts Moderator
    Unless a character has ignore taunt in their kit (basic or unique) it should always target the Taunter.
  • Ultra
    11454 posts Moderator
    edited November 2020
    Kyno wrote: »
    Seems like the point of taunting is that you are calling attacks your way, I think it should be way it is in SWGOH.

Yeah the SWGOH way makes sense. Not sure what game OP is referring to but I don't like the idea of counters bypassing tanks
    Nauros wrote: »
    I think its weird that assists bypasses taunts tho (3bacca and Chewbacca for example)
  • Ultra wrote: »

Yeah the SWGOH way makes sense. Not sure what game OP is referring to but I don't like the idea of counters bypassing tanks
    I think its weird that assists bypasses taunts tho (3bacca and Chewbacca for example)

MSF. All counters attack the source of the attack regardless of taunts, so it’s does add a different strategy than SWGOH, which is what made me think of this topic.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    I'll stick with SWGOH
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Ultra
    11454 posts Moderator
    TVF wrote: »
    I'll stick with SWGOH

• scuba
    14034 posts Member
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »

MSF. All counters attack the source of the attack regardless of taunts, so it’s does add a different strategy than SWGOH, which is what made me think of this topic.

SWGoH did that originally also, than they got smart and fixed it
  • Ultra wrote: »

Eh, I can see where you're coming from, but it makes sense to me. You assist the attacker in hitting their target, so the assistant is actually targeting the main attacker, not any character in particular.

The weird part to me is how the game treats taunts and marks as identical and weights all taunts the same, so if there are multiple effects up you'll attack a random taunter. I get it. Just seems weird, is all.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NicWester wrote: »

Eh, I can see where you're coming from, but it makes sense to me. You assist the attacker in hitting their target, so the assistant is actually targeting the main attacker, not any character in particular.

The weird part to me is how the game treats taunts and marks as identical and weights all taunts the same, so if there are multiple effects up you'll attack a random taunter. I get it. Just seems weird, is all.

Oh yeah, I was kinda silently going "meh, I think the system works okay" while reading this thread, but you raise a point I agree with. Why with several tanks are there not priorities of some sort? Why so random? Even when multiple people counter, sometimes they split damage between two taunts, or a taunt and a mark, it's really strange now that I think about it.
  • I don't think counterattacks should hit non-taunters. With mark/deathmark it's a little tricky... between a taunter and a deathmarked character, it's weird that counterattacks will randomly hit a deathmarked character. I mean, it makes some sense, but also kinda strange and not sure if it has to be that way.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    dgree wrote: »
    I don't think counterattacks should hit non-taunters. With mark/deathmark it's a little tricky... between a taunter and a deathmarked character, it's weird that counterattacks will randomly hit a deathmarked character. I mean, it makes some sense, but also kinda strange and not sure if it has to be that way.

I dont think it really has to be that way, but it does make sense (as you said) for it to be treated as if there are just multiple taunts on the field.

I would prefer that deathmark and marked had priority.
  • As long as the game has a clearly defined and communicated outcome of each action it’s fine with me. No need to change existing rules as it will only complicate matters.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    dgree wrote: »
    I don't think counterattacks should hit non-taunters. With mark/deathmark it's a little tricky... between a taunter and a deathmarked character, it's weird that counterattacks will randomly hit a deathmarked character. I mean, it makes some sense, but also kinda strange and not sure if it has to be that way.

Mark and deathmark are taunts
  • SnakesOnAPlane
    4363 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    I'll stick with SWGOH

SnakesOnAPlane
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Ultra was the world's second to say that in this thread
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH