The Marquee Guide – A guide for new players

During the Q&A of Feb 2020, I asked this question:

Can the past Marquees events be added to the Journey Guide? This would help new-ish players catch up to veteran players by potential giving them access to these characters earlier. Also if a player missed the event the first time, they can collect the shards that most other players had collected.

The answer I got was:

The Journey Guide is meant to capture pinnacle units that players can form goals around. Exploring catch-up mechanics is complex because we need to respect the time of existing players, but we want to create respected catch-up mechanics. Superficially, if we introduce marquees into the Journey Guide, the current presentation would be almost unusable due to the volume of content. All of that to say that catch-up mechanics are a complex initiative that we're thinking about but that we can't commit to any solutions at this time.

Months later, a new concept was floated around discord, this forum or perhaps it was on Reddit. I do not remember where.

Along with the Journey Guide (JG), why not create a Marquee Guide? Similar in concept to the JG but instead, every single marquee that has ever been released would be found inside. It would not have to be as “fancy” looking like the JG is.

By having a separate guide, “the current presentation (in the JG) would be almost unusable due to the volume of content.” would no longer be an issue.

My original points that I brought up still remain; helping new players catch-up or help existing players grab the shards they missed the first time around. As a small bonus, veteran players could take a trip down memory lane and experience the events again (no rewards of course).

CG, you have already spent time, money & energy creating the marquee events. It is a shame that for most people, they only get to play them once.

Replies

• The thing that bothers me about this is, giving a newer player access to that many toons at once is is actually not that great for them, as it really gets them in a lack of credits to promote characters and gets them stuck in the gear bottleneck really hard. All while bloating their roster, and that will make things a lot more difficult for them when it comes to gac and those kind of things.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    The thing that bothers me about this is, giving a newer player access to that many toons at once is is actually not that great for them, as it really gets them in a lack of credits to promote characters and gets them stuck in the gear bottleneck really hard. All while bloating their roster, and that will make things a lot more difficult for them when it comes to gac and those kind of things.

This pitfall is something they run into now, and will always be ever present.

This game is rooted in resource management, anyone who is bad at that or maybe just doesn't understand that, will have issues. This is not a reason to not provide more or quicker progress.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    This idea was thrown around in a general conversation about the new toon doubling update.

Not out of the realm of possibility, but they did mention that to reduce app footprint, they archived some of the older ones, so not as simple to bring them back as you would think.
  • I like it. Desparate for Mando and Greef and Nest, but have a trash fleet
    My discord - BabyYoda#4470 My swgoh.gg - https://swgoh.gg/p/648565123/
  • Why not just rotate 1-2 in each week as events?
  • LendersQuiz
    1161 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Just an idea of what it could look like.
    kmpknmi2qebg.png
  • Ive got most of the toons and really would just like to play some of the marquees again for something to do. Indont even necessarily need the shards as a reward.. Even if it was like a marquee a week I'd get something to do in game and newer players would get a shot at something that happens to match where they're at in the game.
  • I feel like doubling the shards of older toons already accomplishes the same thing: reduces the huge amount of time it takes to farm shards so that people can get full factions together quicker than it used to be possible (even if they still have to gear them up, at least they have the faction & can see what they're like in play).

For me, the more logical thing to do to help new players is to reduce the cost of upgrading Stars or Levels (or maybe both). This means that experienced players wouldn't suddenly gain a new source of income, but players starting out & trying to be able to access the best and most interesting content get their toons ready to try a new challenge a little bit sooner.

And though we say, "catch up", I want to be clear: none of this will allow new players to truly catch up with the older players. Because they'll eventually have to farm the new toons at the slower rate but they'll start that process later than someone who has already farmed all the old toons.

What it does allow a new player to do is "catch up" with the ever-increasing requirements for PvE content. And I consider that a very good thing.