Mandalorian S2:E3 Chat (SPOILERS)

Prev1
Chapter 11: The Mandalorian braves high seas and meets unexpected allies.

Oh, my! I really enjoyed this one. Lot's of great callbacks to other eras, loads of action and pretty good fan service overall.

Replies

• Bo-katan. I have spoken.
  • Yeah finally the show is showing a little direction.. Bo looking for the saber, takes a lot of weapons that insinuating that she has an army, she said she’s preparing for a battle.
    I love the taking off the helmets by them, hopefully Mando does too soon.. you get to see some feeling by him soon..

The movement by the Mandos when killing those fishermen was awesome, quick and clean..

IMO best episode yet, 9/10 they lost 1point because it was a shorter episode
  • That episode made me feel giddy like a fanboy!
  • It feels like if I blink once, the episode would be over suddenly. It was good but it’s all over too fast.

Interesting that the helmet must stay on thing belongs to a hardcore Mando cult.
  • Ya know, maybe I should get around to watching season 2. But of course I'd have to get around to watching season 1 first.
  • Disappointed in you I am
  • Ultra
    11454 posts Moderator
    Solid episode. Loved every second of it, and I like the direction that the story is heading

I haven't really watched much of the clone wars cartoon series, so i don't know much about Bo-katan - just bits and pieces from here and there from others

It was neat to see that the helmets thing was a zealot cult thing. I'm not a mega nerd on mando culture so learning all these things from Mando's point of view has been as shocking and fun
  • Nyanperor wrote: »
    Ya know, maybe I should get around to watching season 2. But of course I'd have to get around to watching season 1 first.

This is NOT the way
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Solid episode. Loved every second of it, and I like the direction that the story is heading

I haven't really watched much of the clone wars cartoon series, so i don't know much about Bo-katan - just bits and pieces from here and there from others

It was neat to see that the helmets thing was a zealot cult thing. I'm not a mega nerd on mando culture so learning all these things from Mando's point of view has been as shocking and fun

Sure people have told you this before but you should definitely watch the clone wars series. It’s amazing
  • Was a great episode. Story is going in a very good direction and it was amazing to see Mando get to team up with some more mandalorians. Looking forward to the next few episodes for sure
  • Did anyone else think The child was going to eat the baby frog at the end?
  • The only bad part about it was its shortness
  • Dagonsith wrote: »
    The only bad part about it was its shortness

Yeah I thought so too.. could of filled it in with a chat back and the mando hideout discussing the history etc..
  • Yeah i felt it was short. Could have been longer.

Otherwise, great episode
  • Wow! Ahsoka Tano’s going to be in the Mandalorian! Who could have seen this coming!
  • I think Luke will adopt The Child at last.
  • Favourite episode so far. Lots of fan service but it was done in a way that worked with the story and didn’t feel forced. Excited to see where things go from here, but I expected AT to show up in episode 5, not next week, as that’s the one Filoni directed. Maybe back to Navarro next week?
  • efazboka71 wrote: »
    I think Luke will adopt The Child at last.

Not very likely.
  • The shots of that cruiser flying were really pretty. Visual effects are really amazing in this season.
  • Very cool episode. Characters, introduction, emotional scenes (Family reunion), funny moments and Mando with his moments. When he jumped immediately into the water to rescue the child. The heist was also cool. Little bit to short but you don't feel it due to the atmosphere. It feels like an SW Movie. I can just say what I said before. Mando is the best thing that could happen to the SW Universe. Mando as a character and all the actors are doing great. Kudos to all the people behind this project and what else could I say to the soundtrack. Beautiful
  • Good for Bryce Dallas

Now if her dad can get a chance for a Solo 2 movie
  • Anyone knows who is that girl ?

he4fi84apiun.jpeg
  • Seeing Bo-Katan in live action was pretty neat, and I think it’ll be nice to see Ahsoka as well. My biggest hope in all of this is that I’ll possibly be able to learn more about Yoda, Yaddle, and The Child’s species, like a name for the species, or their native home planet, something at least.
  • Sebek wrote: »
    Anyone knows who is that girl ?

he4fi84apiun.jpeg

Koska Reeves

And played by Sasha Banks/Mercedes Vernado
  • Wouldn’t Bo-Katan be like old by now. 60ish?
  • The nice thing about Bo-Katan is that even though I didn't remember her name before she said it (it's been a while since watching TCW:AS), I instantly remembered her, and her story, and her relationship to Sabine & Sabine's clan. I really mean **instantly**. The look was so perfect it was like they did this episode first & then told the animation artists from TCW, "I want you to draw her."

One thing that didn't strike me as great was Mando's helplessness in the tank. I mean, he was gulped up by a Krayt dragon. Why couldn't he stay under water as long as he stayed in the dragon's mouth/ throat/ whatever? Why couldn't he fight as effectively in the water as when he was literally swallowed?

Aside from that, I liked this one very well. I thought it was easily the best episode of the season so far.

As for fan service, in addition to references & whole characters from other SW properties, they continued the references to the Alien series (with the spider eggs peeling open from the top in the last episode and the octopus leaping out of the bowl to act like a "face hugger" alien in this episode) but added others. In particular, flying in to attack hand-to-hand on the external gangway of a ship in mid-flight? That is total Flash Gordon there. No way that wasn't intentional. And of course all the Firefly/Serenity references.
  • In 19 BBY, Kryze and Vizsla discovered the Sith Lords Maul and Savage Opress. With the Sith, they plotted to reclaim Mandalore, and through Maul's planning, united several criminal syndicates to form the Shadow Collective. Launching a takeover of Mandalore, Satine's rule was overthrown, and Vizsla took control of the planet.

So... she was an adult, but youngish, in 19bby.
    Sometime after the Great Purge, Mandalore was left devastated and Moff Gideon had come into the possession of the Darksaber. Around 9 ABY, Kryze formulated a plan to reclaim the weapon from the Moff and return to Mandalore.

So there's 28 years (give or take since we don't know months), between the end of Bo-Katan's CW:TAS final appearance & her appearance on Imperial War Rocket Ajax in Mandalorian S2:E3.

What's her exact age, though? Unsure. She was younger than Satine, but older than Sabine Wren (by a lot, sabine was only 2 years old when Bo-Katan's story ended on CW:TAS). Satine isn't given an official birth date either, so...?

My guess would be 50-60, but not older than that.
  • KueChael
    930 posts Moderator
    edited November 2020
    Maybe people age slower or faster depending upon what planet you were from. Obi wan was about 30-35 at the end of ROTS, and looked about 70 in ANH.

• One thing that didn't strike me as great was Mando's helplessness in the tank. I mean, he was gulped up by a Krayt dragon. Why couldn't he stay under water as long as he stayed in the dragon's mouth/ throat/ whatever? Why couldn't he fight as effectively in the water as when he was literally swallowed?

This really bothered me. His helplessness in the water was extremely awkward and went against character. Really ruined what should have been a great action scene. Not too impressed with Bryce’s directing choices as the episode had some wonky moments. All of the action sequences seemed a little off and awkwardly done.
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    The nice thing about Bo-Katan is that even though I didn't remember her name before she said it (it's been a while since watching TCW:AS), I instantly remembered her, and her story, and her relationship to Sabine & Sabine's clan. I really mean **instantly**. The look was so perfect it was like they did this episode first & then told the animation artists from TCW, "I want you to draw her."

You may not be too far off base here, The person that voiced her in the cartoons is the same person that is acting in her live action iteration.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV