Shard Economy Changes [MEGA]

Replies

• Konju
    1142 posts Member
    Thank you @CG_Doja_Fett
  • Thank you @CG_Doja_Fett , even an acknowledgment like this once in a while is greatly appreciated
  • These threads (especially hot ones like this) evolve quickly. I can't read every post, although I wish I could.

You've been heard on the full character drop rates and I took that to the devs.

As far as "why doesn't Doja get on here to explain why he can't explain something??" sentiment, I feel like I've said many times that I'll give you as much info as possible when possible. I've also pointed out these reasons can range from legal, to in-development, to unknown, and everything in between.

I refuse to come out here and risk spreading false/unconfirmed info (or info that is subject to change). It isn't fair to any of us, it builds up expectations that could then never materialize, or perhaps CG has to change course because of an unforeseen issue and it becomes moot.

Fair enough man, that part I get. And my personal gripe you probably can't do beans about anyway. The history that, IMO, makes CG untrustworthy far predates you, but I don't trust that this isn't an intentional nerf to those of us who've been around a while, and you glossing over the real problem (full character bronzium drops) while saying "It's fixed! (except for full bronzium drops)" doesn't help matters. Please don't take this as us trying to abuse you, but man, the problem is most DEFINITELY not "fixed".

I'm really glad you sound like you're at least paying attention to us though, man. There are at least a couple small wins in here, but I think you guys should do something about the full character drops before you flip the switch. This will be a painful nerf to those of us who've been paying the bills for the last 5 years.
  • These threads (especially hot ones like this) evolve quickly. I can't read every post, although I wish I could.

As far as "why doesn't Doja get on here to explain why he can't explain something??" sentiment, I feel like I've said many times that I'll give you as much info as possible when possible. I've also pointed out these reasons can range from legal, to in-development, to unknown, and everything in between.

I refuse to come out here and risk spreading false/unconfirmed info (or info that is subject to change). It isn't fair to any of us, it builds up expectations that could then never materialize, or perhaps CG has to change course because of an unforeseen issue and it becomes moot.

Fair enough man, that part I get. And my personal gripe you probably can't do beans about anyway. The history that, IMO, makes CG untrustworthy far predates you, but I don't trust that this isn't an intentional nerf to those of us who've been around a while, and you glossing over the real problem (full character bronzium drops) while saying "It's fixed! (except for full bronzium drops)" doesn't help matters. Please don't take this as us trying to abuse you, but man, the problem is most DEFINITELY not "fixed".

I'm really glad you sound like you're at least paying attention to us though, man. There are at least a couple small wins in here, but I think you guys should do something about the full character drops before you flip the switch. This will be a painful nerf to those of us who've been paying the bills for the last 5 years.

This exactly. Never meant any disrespect to your work @CG_Doja_Fett , just still have some displeasure that isn't any fault of yours.

This is literally, more or less, exactly what I would expect in terms of communication here. Thank you @CG_Doja_Fett

Really, the only other thing I’d like to know is how we ended up here in the first place? Did the devs really think *we* wouldn’t care about the impacts to the economy, did *they* not care about the impact or did the just underestimate the impact? The answer to that question would pretty drastically shape my feelings on the matter.

This exactly. Never meant any disrespect to your work @CG_Doja_Fett , just still have some displeasure that isn't any fault of yours.

Sure. Again, I don't take this personally. I'm here to try and 1) communicate with y'all and 2) be the middle person between players and devs. There's gonna be times you don't like what I have to say and times where you love it.

But, for now, I've raised awareness over this issue and will report back if/when there's something concrete.

Thanks to you all for being passionate about SWGoH. It's awesome, beautiful, scary and heartwarming all at the same time lol
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    These threads (especially hot ones like this) evolve quickly. I can't read every post, although I wish I could.

OR DO YOU
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Montanz
    212 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    At the end of the day not doubling the character unlock pulls of 10/25/50/80 is a huge nerf. Everyone will get burnt by this eventually, even new players once they finish the outdated toons offered there.

This is the kind of change that CG has done in the past to seemingly benefit players but end up hurting them in the long run.

When mk8 biotech salvage was removed from the HAAT ppl didn’t seem to mind (even I didn’t mind as I had 3000) there was a minority of smart players who knew it would be bad but they got downvoted. Fast forward 2 years and now you don’t have any cos every toon needed 4x60 of them. That was a nerf hidden in good news of a chance to get the other rewards.

Maybe that story is a poor example, but back then the majority wanted them removed and they got removed. Now veterans are buying them from shard shop (rip) and guild store.

I guess what I’m trying to say is I do think these seemingly positive changes need to be examined closely and everyone needs to understand the devs will always have a bigger picture plan to get you to spend money no matter how nice an update sounds.

We were fools for wanting that HAAT gear change and we will be fools again for letting this bronzium nerf pass by unchecked. The complaints are warranted and many ppl have felt the burn before. Stop thinking the player base doesn’t know what’s going on CG.

Edit: it may be the case that something about the gear economy gets changed to balance what will happen with the shard changes. But we don’t know that. All we know is what is happening now.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    Montanz wrote: »
    At the end of the day not doubling the character unlock pulls of 10/25/50/80 is a huge nerf. Everyone will get burnt by this eventually, even new players once they finish the outdated toons offered there.

This is the kind of change that CG has done in the past to seemingly benefit players but end up hurting them in the long run.

When mk8 biotech salvage was removed from the HAAT ppl didn’t seem to mind (even I didn’t mind as I had 3000) there was a minority of smart players who knew it would be bad but they got downvoted. Fast forward 2 years and now you don’t have any cos every toon needed 4x60 of them. That was a nerf hidden in good news of a chance to get the other rewards.

Maybe that story is a poor example, but back then the majority wanted them removed and they got removed. Now veterans are buying them from shard shop (rip) and guild store.

I guess what I’m trying to say is I do think these seemingly positive changes need to be examined closely and everyone needs to understand the devs will always have a bigger picture plan to get you to spend money no matter how nice an update sounds.

We were fools for wanting that HAAT gear change and we will be fools again for letting this bronzium nerf pass by unchecked. The complaints are warranted and many ppl have felt the burn before. Stop thinking the player base doesn’t know what’s going on CG.
    I am still glad for that change. If you where getting those as rewards, means that you are not getting something that could be more useful that is not in a challenge.
  • Montanz
    212 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Overall I think we got hurt by it, I know I don’t speak for all but as a 6.5m account this is what I’m looking like.

neotdk6fqhua.jpeg

nqd60izxhpf4.jpeg

o25a5e288ypl.jpeg

It’s amazing when a new toon comes out and needs the thermal detonators and holoprojectors, but the biotech ended up being an insane bottle neck compared to what else is offered from HAAT
  • i think im like alot of people waiting to see what is done to further fix this nerf and if it is actually nothing then it really is a last straw for me. their has been too much lip service about trying to help the community and eliminate some of the gear crunch but the actions taken only seem to increase the gear crunch and take away alot of the entertainment value in the process. i really hope im wrong and ea/cg actually does something about this but history has shown that ea/cg likes to be deceptive and say one thing but do another. specially with relic8 coming out i dont get why they are trying to nerf bronziums the way they are. Make something hard on the back end as well as the front end at the same time and call it a 5year anniversary celebratory moment. this is nothing to celebrate about. the couple cool things they are going to do like simming hatt are all lost in this shuffle because of this very poor decision that could be an oversight but if it is an oversight and not a calculated plan then i just see it as 5years and they still have very little understanding of the game or care to understand it and the community itself. its no different than this pr stunt magazine i keep in my bathroom for laughs when i get bored. Putting power in the community. reading that always makes me laugh.

64cqq2dbskhu.png
  • Montanz wrote: »

Edit: it may be the case that something about the gear economy gets changed to balance what will happen with the shard changes. But we don’t know that. All we know is what is happening now.

I think that example isn't really a good one. When they removed the eyeballs that we had a ton of from haat, you got other gear that we didn't have a ton of instead. So it wasn't like it was removed and you just didn't get gear from that slot.

Your case on this current issue is also a bit overblown. If you have a ton of characters to farm (aka you are a newer player), the time you save and energy you can put towards gear farming (a hard node now takes 3 mo for older characters instead of 6) more than outweighs the bronizum nerf.

I don't like the bronizum nerf either and it certainly doesn't follow the intended goal they stated. But it is not as large a nerf for most players as you are indicating.

I think that example isn't really a good one. When they removed the eyeballs that we had a ton of from haat, you got other gear that we didn't have a ton of instead. So it wasn't like it was removed and you just didn't get gear from that slot.

Your case on this current issue is also a bit overblown. If you have a ton of characters to farm (aka you are a newer player), the time you save and energy you can put towards gear farming (a hard node now takes 3 mo for older characters instead of 6) more than outweighs the bronizum nerf.

I don't like the bronizum nerf either and it certainly doesn't follow the intended goal they stated. But it is not as large a nerf for most players as you are indicating.

Actually a lot of the best gear from the shard shop comes from late ship nodes, and they didn't enhance that farm, so after a certain point the crunch will still hit when no new players have good fleets and have to spend 30 stun guns on all of their 7* g8 toons they've gotten at an accelerated pace. And once they've spent 8.2 million credits per toon. And after they get to the point where they've 7*'d all 33 of the Bronzium toons twice as fast making the Bronzium nerf also hit them.

I think maybe his comparison is a tad off, but I disagree that it's overblown. And your energy analogy only applies to newer players anyway, since most of us aren't "saving energy" by farming old toons faster now. We have them all 7* and farm gear nods specifically so we don't have to get as many in the shard shop. This nerf is huge for veterans right now, and the longer it goes with double drops and no Bronzium fix, the more the new players who got "help" are gonna run into the same wall.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Overall I think we got hurt by it, I know I don’t speak for all but as a 6.5m account this is what I’m looking like.

neotdk6fqhua.jpeg

nqd60izxhpf4.jpeg

o25a5e288ypl.jpeg

It’s amazing when a new toon comes out and needs the thermal detonators and holoprojectors, but the biotech ended up being an insane bottle neck compared to what else is offered from HAAT

So you have just as many prototypes as salvage.
    I would prefer to get the prototypes over the salvage from the raid(s) anyday
    I have 848 salvage and 432 prototypes
    You will need way more prototypes than salvage.
    If a raid drops both, less chance of getting prototypes.
    Yes I hit a point where I had no salvage, however I also had no prototypes either.

They have also not gone so hard on the implants in new units as they did when it was first added. AP I think was the most recent that needed more than 1. Many of the recent ones didn't need any and some only needed 1

Edit: you also can't compare the gear you are comparing. The gear box always drops 1 of the 4 or 6 "tank" specific gear, those mk6 thermals and mk4 holo are part of the "tank" specific gear. So the salvage being an option or not had no effect on those
  • scuba wrote: »

neotdk6fqhua.jpeg

nqd60izxhpf4.jpeg

o25a5e288ypl.jpeg

Yes I hit a point where I had no salvage, however I also had no prototypes either.

They have also not gone so hard on the implants in new units as they did when it was first added. AP I think was the most recent that needed more than 1. Many of the recent ones didn't need any and some only needed 1

Edit: you also can't compare the gear you are comparing. The gear box always drops 1 of the 4 or 6 "tank" specific gear, those mk6 thermals and mk4 holo are part of the "tank" specific gear. So the salvage being an option or not had no effect on those

I don't know the weighting in the haat box. The crust of it stays the same though, both salvage and prototypes are desirable drops for players in our condition. When salvage gets taken out desirable/undesirable (have plenty of) ratio increases.

The example is not at all comparable to the situation we have about bronziums though. Haat thing is situation dependant, bronzium loss is universally bad.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    MaruMaru wrote: »
    scuba wrote: »

neotdk6fqhua.jpeg

nqd60izxhpf4.jpeg

o25a5e288ypl.jpeg

I don't know the weighting in the haat box. The crust of it stays the same though, both salvage and prototypes are desirable drops for players in our condition. When salvage gets taken out desirable/undesirable (have plenty of) ratio increases.

The example is not at all comparable to the situation we have about bronziums though. Haat thing is situation dependant, bronzium loss is universally bad.

I agree one has nothing to do with the other.
  • I still have over 1100 of the mk8 implant salvage. People have been telling me for years that I will run out when I grow up. But I only have 48 g13, so I guess I'm still waiting for that day.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    I still have over 1100 of the mk8 implant salvage. People have been telling me for years that I will run out when I grow up. But I only have 48 g13, so I guess I'm still waiting for that day.

It's dependent on which toons you take to G12. And also if you bought the hyperdrive bundle.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Let's say you have 430 shards saved up on an old character that you have not yet unlocked or promoted to 7 stars. What i mean to say is you have 100 "extra" shards and the character will be in the new "Accelerated-Farm" category (SSC conversion is still 1 to 15). Consider these two scenarios:

1) convert these extra shards to SSC now: 100 * 15 = 1500 SSC. When this update goes live, those will be doubled to 3000 SSC

2) convert these extra shards to SSC after the update goes live: 100 * 15 = 1500 SSC that will not be doubled since the update already went live.

In both cases, prices in the Shard Store are doubled, but in the second scenario your buying power is halved.

Lesson to be learned: convert your shards to SSC now or else you'll have half the buying power!
  • cshoww1wpkht.jpg

Uh.

I am glad they have listened to feedback and will double bronzium single shards.

That means my pulls here would increase from 96 shards *15 = 1,440 shard shop currency all the way up to an unbelievable 97 shards*15 =1455 shard shop currency.

I get an extra 15 shard shop currency - an extra 1.0% of currency - and shard shop prices are only doubling - an increase of 100%.

I am only 99% worse off here! Yay! I was 100% worse off before. What an improvement.

#GC listens.
    #things are different now.

Bah.
  • The end result is the same though, unless there is a change they failed to communicate with us. Unlocking an 80 shard character will still give us 80 shards if we have that character unlocked. But now those shards are worth half.

Maybe CG can chime in here... but you don't see shards when unlocking a character through Bronziums. You only see shards when the character is already unlocked. Wouldn't that, as defined in the update, mean that the shards are doubled?

I wrote in another thread that I felt there was an issue, but then I re-read the update and thought that there may be no issue?

No. You are wrong.
  • Montanz
    212 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    The example I gave of the HAAT change was just supposed to be a comparison about how these changes affect the future of the game. An example of how we think we are getting something good but it ends up being bad. This bronzium situation just reminds me of that.

Maybe it’s getting blown out of proportion but ppl have already done the math and it ends up being less stun guns for everyone from shard shop... that’s worth complaining about. We actually have a lot to complain about in this game and when something finally changes it’s often a let down.

I guess at the end of the day they already fixed what they wanted to and this will be left as a nerf to veteran accounts and we just have to swallow it.

I guess at the end of the day they already fixed what they wanted to and this will be left as a nerf to veteran accounts and we just have to swallow it.

It's the stun guns being removed from fleet nodes all over again.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • @CG_Doja_Fett Can you please also tell the devs about the awful rewards in HAAT and HSTR?
    More importantly, why there is so much crossover on rewards from HAAT into HSTR. There are so many ways to fix the gear crunch but it’s continually ignored

Actually a lot of the best gear from the shard shop comes from late ship nodes, and they didn't enhance that farm, so after a certain point the crunch will still hit when no new players have good fleets and have to spend 30 stun guns on all of their 7* g8 toons they've gotten at an accelerated pace. And once they've spent 8.2 million credits per toon. And after they get to the point where they've 7*'d all 33 of the Bronzium toons twice as fast making the Bronzium nerf also hit them.

I think maybe his comparison is a tad off, but I disagree that it's overblown. And your energy analogy only applies to newer players anyway, since most of us aren't "saving energy" by farming old toons faster now. We have them all 7* and farm gear nods specifically so we don't have to get as many in the shard shop. This nerf is huge for veterans right now, and the longer it goes with double drops and no Bronzium fix, the more the new players who got "help" are gonna run into the same wall.

It is a nerd. I agree with you on that. And it does need addressed but some are acting like it is cutting their shard currency in half. That just isn't the case.

I get shards from the following sources regularly on my main account.

5-10 shards a day from cantina (depends on how many refreshes)

15 from arena store a day

15 from gw store (yes I do the ships but it converts roughly the same as 15 character shards)

About 7 a day from gw drops

And probably 10 a day on average from bronizums (it varies but let's say 8 of them are from full drops)

So that's about 54 shards or so a day on average. The nerf will effectively take away 4 of those a day. That's an effective reduction in shard shop currency of about 7%. That still isn't good but it isn't the sky is falling disaster that will ruin.

You fleet node point also doesn't hold water. It only takes one fleet to beat all the fleet nodes. If you pick ones that don't have 3 characters per ship and that are decent enough anyway, that isn't too big of hurdle.

If you spend half your energy farming characters and the other half farming stun guns, you would still 7 star the old characters at the same rate you do now and still have half your energy to farm stun guns. You can gear the 7 pilots to g11 or g12 fairly easily to beat the fleet nodes.

If you gear bugs, vader, bossk, boba, tarkin and jka you can have a fleet that can plow through the pve content with little waste.

You need bugs for geo tb eventually anyway. Vader is amazing. Bossk and boba are good for a lot of bh pve content. Jka is great is late game fleet anyway and good for other parts of the game. Tarkin isn't great but probably better than mace or ackbar if you want a lean fleet.
  • Let's say you have 430 shards saved up on an old character that you have not yet unlocked or promoted to 7 stars. What i mean to say is you have 100 "extra" shards and the character will be in the new "Accelerated-Farm" category (SSC conversion is still 1 to 15). Consider these two scenarios:

1) convert these extra shards to SSC now: 100 * 15 = 1500 SSC. When this update goes live, those will be doubled to 3000 SSC

2) convert these extra shards to SSC after the update goes live: 100 * 15 = 1500 SSC that will not be doubled since the update already went live.

In both cases, prices in the Shard Store are doubled, but in the second scenario your buying power is halved.

Lesson to be learned: convert your shards to SSC now or else you'll have half the buying power!

Let's assume in this case you are end game. Credits are not an issue at that point. Most end game players have 200 mil or so playing around. If you weren't promoting these characters for the shard shop currency already, you weren't using resources terribly wisely.

• Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    @CG_Doja_Fett Can you please also tell the devs about the awful rewards in HAAT and HSTR?
    More importantly, why there is so much crossover on rewards from HAAT into HSTR. There are so many ways to fix the gear crunch but it’s continually ignored

Fix? Do you think the gear crunch is some accidental result of something cg did and they are trying to figure out what went wrong?
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Sure. Again, I don't take this personally. I'm here to try and 1) communicate with y'all and 2) be the middle person between players and devs. There's gonna be times you don't like what I have to say and times where you love it.

But, for now, I've raised awareness over this issue and will report back if/when there's something concrete.

Thanks to you all for being passionate about SWGoH. It's awesome, beautiful, scary and heartwarming all at the same time lol

Considering the update Crumb posted, I think it’s safe to say everyone liked that (unless I missed something).
  • Gifafi wrote: »
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    @CG_Doja_Fett Can you please also tell the devs about the awful rewards in HAAT and HSTR?

Fix? Do you think the gear crunch is some accidental result of something cg did and they are trying to figure out what went wrong?

Did I say that? I don’t think I did. I think I’m just bringing more ways that the gear crunch can be fixed to Doja’s attention. I forgot that was a crime here on the forums.
  • Hortus
    615 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Ok, another bunch of numbers. 1.9М ally points spent, ~49К shard shop currency received (looks like in line with other numbers I've seen), roughly 2/3 is from full character drops which won't be doubled after update according to the current info. So if nothing will change in the future we will get about 1/3 nerf in the ally points/shard shop gear conversion ratio. It still be about three times better than those overpriced pieces in the weekly store.

P.S. I doesn't take into account other stuff which drops from bronziums so actual nerf will be slightly less.