Will mando retcon the sequels (if you don't want spoilers don't read)

Prev1345
DarkHelmet1138
3884 posts Member
edited December 2020
So with the most recent episode of mandolorian, it appears that grogu will likely be trained.

I can think of one candidate that would be most likely to look the other way on the attachment issue that ashoka had with training him. That would be Luke.

But that potentially creates problems with the sequels. Like where is grogu in them?

I see two possibilities if Luke trains Grogu.

1. It fits in with the sequels and spells a dark end for grogu. I don't see thos as likely though.

2. The sequel trilogy is in the timeline where ashoka is killed by vader. The mandolorian is obviously in the one where she survives. This makes sense to me at least. If ashoka would have died, then mando hits a dead end on finding jedi. Gideon catches up with them, and then the bad guys win and you get snoke.

But with ashoka surviving, it's now changed where any number of things can happen.

I personally see this as a good thing since the sequels created a lot of problems to try and fit in and it's better to have a timeline that fits better going forward.

Replies

• Ezra
  • Ezra

I see luke as more likely than ezra. I think it is likely ezra is still off with thrawn somewhere and that will be the basis of an ashoka show. But it is definitely possible that ezra would train grogu.
  • crzydroid
    7252 posts Moderator
    Or they seem to be leaning toward they will opt not to train him and he chooses to hang out with Din for life.
  • crzydroid wrote: »
    Or they seem to be leaning toward they will opt not to train him and he chooses to hang out with Din for life.

Also possible but not very likely in my opinion. I think the fact that they mentioned that he had previously been trained really is an admission that having a powerful character in the force with no training doesn't work. Otherwise, why not just use the he's a prodigy excuse.

And I don't think they would set up the force powers only to have him forget how to use them.
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    Grogu is 50 now so he would only be around 75-80 at the end of Episode 9. Still wouldn't even be a preteen.

Grogu will go to the temple and reach out with the Force. Ezra is always reaching out in the Force so I figure he will answer Grogu and maybe train him.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    Grogu is 50 now so he would only be around 75-80 at the end of Episode 9. Still wouldn't even be a preteen.

Grogu will go to the temple and reach out with the Force. Ezra is always reaching out in the Force so I figure he will answer Grogu and maybe train him.

Depends on his life cycle. The last few episodes seem to hint he is more capable than just a toddler. More like a school aged child. For all we know yoda's species reach maturity by age 60 or so and are in their prime until age 750 or so. It may not be linear.
  • It is also possible had it not been for the rise of the empire, yoda may have lived to be well over 1000. There likely wasn't very good healthcare on Dagobah.
  • What “timeline where Vader killed Ashoka” are you talking about?
  • Was going to ask the same thing.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • StarSon wrote: »
    What “timeline where Vader killed Ashoka” are you talking about?

In rebels, before ezra enters the world between worlds, vader kills ashoka on malachor. Ezra pulls her out of a portal saving her. That would create a new timeline.

My theory is that the sequels are from the timeline where ashoka died but the mandolorian will be from the one where she lived. (And spoiler the mandolorian is most definitely from the one where ssf he lives.)

In rebels, before ezra enters the world between worlds, vader kills ashoka on malachor. Ezra pulls her out of a portal saving her. That would create a new timeline.

My theory is that the sequels are from the timeline where ashoka died but the mandolorian will be from the one where she lived. (And spoiler the mandolorian is most definitely from the one where ssf he lives.)

That did not create a new timeline. There is only one timeline in the Star Wars universe.
    StarSon wrote: »

That did not create a new timeline. There is only one timeline in the Star Wars universe.

Once you start introducing things like time travel and the world between worlds, you open the universe up to things like multiple timelines. I didn't create the concept so if you don't like it blame Disney.

Once you start introducing things like time travel and the world between worlds, you open the universe up to things like multiple timelines. I didn't create the concept so if you don't like it blame Disney.

Not necessarily. Once Snips was pulled out of the battle with Vader, the other timeline where she's dead ceases to exist. Then this alternate 1985 will be changed to the real 1985, instantaneously transforming around Jennifer and Einie. Sorry, wrong time movie. My point is, time travel doesn't always create a multi-verse. It could create a self correcting paradox in which all other realities are destroyed.
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    "Filoni teased a possible nonlinear approach to Ahsoka's story in an interview with Vanity Fair (via ScreenRant). While not confirming one way or the other, Filoni makes it clear fans shouldn't assume The Mandalorian is taking place after the Rebels finale.

"That's not necessarily chronological," Filoni told Vanity Fair. "I think the thing that people will most not understand is they want to go in a linear fashion, but as I learned as a kid, nothing in Star Wars really works in a linear fashion. You do [Episodes] Four, Five and Six and then One, Two, and Three. So in the vein of that history, when you look at the epilogue of Rebels you don't really know how much time has passed. So, it's possible that the story I'm telling in The Mandalorian actually takes place prior to that. Possible. I'm saying it's possible." - https://www.ign.com/articles/ahsoka-tano-mandalorian-star-wars-rebels-finale-timeline-nonlinear
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    "Filoni teased a possible nonlinear approach to Ahsoka's story in an interview with Vanity Fair (via ScreenRant). While not confirming one way or the other, Filoni makes it clear fans shouldn't assume The Mandalorian is taking place after the Rebels finale.

"That's not necessarily chronological," Filoni told Vanity Fair. "I think the thing that people will most not understand is they want to go in a linear fashion, but as I learned as a kid, nothing in Star Wars really works in a linear fashion. You do [Episodes] Four, Five and Six and then One, Two, and Three. So in the vein of that history, when you look at the epilogue of Rebels you don't really know how much time has passed. So, it's possible that the story I'm telling in The Mandalorian actually takes place prior to that. Possible. I'm saying it's possible." - https://www.ign.com/articles/ahsoka-tano-mandalorian-star-wars-rebels-finale-timeline-nonlinear

Not a bad answer to be completely vague and non committal to anything.
  • StarSon
    7410 posts Member
    LordDirt wrote: »

Just because it's non-linear doesn't mean there are mutliple timelines.

Until you get Filoni (or perhaps Leland Chee) saying they have created mutliple timelines and the Mando one exists in some other timeline, there is only one timeline in Star Wars.
  • crzydroid
    7252 posts Moderator

Pretty sure this is most likely referring to the scene where Ahsoka and Sabine go looking for Ezra. So he maybe means the Mando episode takes place after she's rescued by Ezra but before she and Sabine have the info to go looking for him and Thrawn.

In any case, I don't think we can assume there is a timeline where Ahsoka did die. A predestination paradox would mean she was always pulled out of the timeline--as we're already talking about time being nonlinear. We never saw her die. As much as I wanted to believe she was dead, Filoni always teased she was alive. Heck, he even says her voice at the end of RoS doesn't even mean she's dead.

At any rate, a proposal of multiple timelines doesn’t really retcon anything. The sequels are still there in the other timeline. But I highly doubt that's where they are going. Also, they would likely not do anything to retcon or erase the sequels.

As much as I'd like to see Luke Skywalker show up, I highly doubt they are going to give Grogu that death sentence. The show is strongly hinting that Grogu will choose to stay with Mando.

Pretty sure this is most likely referring to the scene where Ahsoka and Sabine go looking for Ezra. So he maybe means the Mando episode takes place after she's rescued by Ezra but before she and Sabine have the info to go looking for him and Thrawn.

In any case, I don't think we can assume there is a timeline where Ahsoka did die. A predestination paradox would mean she was always pulled out of the timeline--as we're already talking about time being nonlinear. We never saw her die. As much as I wanted to believe she was dead, Filoni always teased she was alive. Heck, he even says her voice at the end of RoS doesn't even mean she's dead.

At any rate, a proposal of multiple timelines doesn’t really retcon anything. The sequels are still there in the other timeline. But I highly doubt that's where they are going. Also, they would likely not do anything to retcon or erase the sequels.

As much as I'd like to see Luke Skywalker show up, I highly doubt they are going to give Grogu that death sentence. The show is strongly hinting that Grogu will choose to stay with Mando.

Who says that Luke training Grogu is a death sentence? The original trilogy implied there was only 2 Jedi left in the entire galaxy, but the shows tell a different story. I've always wondered if and who of the Jedi was left in the galaxy. Not saying I believe Luke is the Jedi that would take Grogu or if Grogu would leave Mando, just that it wouldn't be counted out just yet. I realize the rest of the season has already been filmed, just gotta see what happens.

IF there was a multi-verse in SW, most of it would be classified as legends, with the main series of movies and shows being the one and only universe. Just my $.02 on that.

Who says that Luke training Grogu is a death sentence? The original trilogy implied there was only 2 Jedi left in the entire galaxy, but the shows tell a different story. I've always wondered if and who of the Jedi was left in the galaxy. Not saying I believe Luke is the Jedi that would take Grogu or if Grogu would leave Mando, just that it wouldn't be counted out just yet. I realize the rest of the season has already been filmed, just gotta see what happens.

IF there was a multi-verse in SW, most of it would be classified as legends, with the main series of movies and shows being the one and only universe. Just my $.02 on that.

No, the original trilogy infers that only two people can "defeat" Darth Vader, his two kids.

Not necessarily. Once Snips was pulled out of the battle with Vader, the other timeline where she's dead ceases to exist. Then this alternate 1985 will be changed to the real 1985, instantaneously transforming around Jennifer and Einie. Sorry, wrong time movie. My point is, time travel doesn't always create a multi-verse. It could create a self correcting paradox in which all other realities are destroyed.

Fair enough. But there is no official explanation to how it works in star wars so it is ripe for speculation.

I think multiple timelines would be beneficial for a couple of reasons

1. It gives more creative freedom to John and dave to take the mandolorian in a direction without having to end up where the sequels are.
    2. It allows fans that don't like the sequels to basically wipe them from cannon while at the same time allowing fans that do like them to still consider them cannon.

I also think there are hints of this possibly happening.

In the last episode ashoka pretty well said that using force takes lots of training. That sounds a lot like trying to distance themselves from the "she can mind trick because" era the sequels brought. And having it separate would explain it as well as anything.

I think the fact that kylo killed all his students and that it is at least possible that grogu's blood is needed to succeed in creating snoke makes a world where grogu is trained by Luke but is still in the same timeline as the sequels likely to lead to a dark end for grogu.

I don't think that Disney would go down that path but you never know.

I'm speculating (yes speculating for those that are arguing that there's no official multiple timelines in star wars. I know that. That's where speculating comes in) that after the backlash of the sequels, they may have decided that fixing the lack of a cohesive plot in those stories was too difficult and that it may be easier to effectively start over. The world between worlds from rebels effectively makes that very easy for them to do that if they so choose.

I would have preferred a world where this wasn't needed but the sequels were a hot dumpster fire as far as story goes so I don't blame them at all if John and Dave don't want to try and fix Kathleen Kennedy's mess.

• Sebek wrote: »
    crzydroid wrote: »

I think the fact that kylo killed all his students and that it is at least possible that grogu's blood is needed to succeed in creating snoke makes a world where grogu is trained by Luke but is still in the same timeline as the sequels likely to lead to a dark end for grogu.

I'm speculating (yes speculating for those that are arguing that there's no official multiple timelines in star wars. I know that. That's where speculating comes in) that after the backlash of the sequels, they may have decided that fixing the lack of a cohesive plot in those stories was too difficult and that it may be easier to effectively start over. The world between worlds from rebels effectively makes that very easy for them to do that if they so choose.

I would have preferred a world where this wasn't needed but the sequels were a hot dumpster fire as far as story goes so I don't blame them at all if John and Dave don't want to try and fix Kathleen Kennedy's mess.

Well, i Would be Mad if they Undid the Sequels, i Loved them, it isn't likely, also World between Worlds doesn't make Multiple Timelines Easier, because it's like Back to the Future one

I personally would be fine if they just admitted they failed and outright retconned them. But agree to disagree I guess.
  • Sebek wrote: »

Well, i Would be Mad if they Undid the Sequels, i Loved them, it isn't likely, also World between Worlds doesn't make Multiple Timelines Easier, because it's like Back to the Future one

I personally would be fine if they just admitted they failed and outright retconned them. But agree to disagree I guess.

You can want all you want, but they didn't fail, so they aren't going to do anything. They will almost definitely just move on to other areas of the universe, like Mando, and KOTOR, and hopefully Ahsoka.
    Sebek wrote: »

You can want all you want, but they didn't fail, so they aren't going to do anything. They will almost definitely just move on to other areas of the universe, like Mando, and KOTOR, and hopefully Ahsoka.

Yeah the decreasing revenue trend for each movie says otherwise.

TFA did great. As was expected but at that time anything with star wars would have.

TLJ didn't even reach that level and turned enough fans off that solo tanked.

TROS failed to reach even close to the revenue as TFA.

That is not a financial trend that Disney shareholders want to see continue. I call that failure. What do you call it?

TFA did great. As was expected but at that time anything with star wars would have.

That is not a financial trend that Disney shareholders want to see continue. I call that failure. What do you call it?

So, of the 37 films *ever* that have made more than $1B, Star Wars is 3 of them, and those are financial failures?

So, of the 37 films *ever* that have made more than $1B, Star Wars is 3 of them, and those are financial failures?

A downward trend in a trilogy because a ton of fans can see they had no plan or a cohesive story is a failure.

But that isn't the topic. So agree to disagree. You can like the sequels all you want.
  • Well, back to the point then: no, Mando, which takes place years before the sequels, will not retcon them.
    Well, back to the point then: no, Mando, which takes place years before the sequels, will not retcon them.
    Well, back to the point then: no, Mando, which takes place years before the sequels, will not retcon them.

Ok. Feel free to speculate on how you think it will tie into them then.
  • TrooperFives
    25 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    I would prefer they open a new timeline with the mandolorian as the sequels stories are so bland and have terrible needing for our favorite characters. It’s kinda sad watching mandolorian and knowing what’s right around the corner.

As far as Luke goes, I don’t want Luke to show up at all in this show unless they get hamill to play him and use deaging technology on his face. Luke being played by someone else sounds terrible.

On a side note, I don’t get the Ahsoka being saved thing and why Ezra saves her from Vader. After the confrontation with Vader, at the very end of the episode we clearly see both Vader and Ahsoka are still alive. Vader never killed her in the first place.
    Post edited by TrooperFives on
  • I don’t want Luke to show up at all in this show unless they get hamill to play him and use deaging technology on his face. Luke being played by someone else sounds terrible.

On a side note, I don’t get the Ahsoka being saved thing and why Ezra saves her from Vader. After the confrontation with Vader, at the very end of the episode we clearly see both Vader and Ahsoka are still alive. Vader never killed her in the first place.

Yeah vader was totally going to kill her. But we never saw the killing blow so I can see your point.

As far as Luke showing up, if the de-aging tech works well then it's fine. But if not I'm ok with another actor, it they look similar enough and do a good job. I think the issue with solo is they didn't really pick someone that really looked like han.

I'd rather they do what is best for the story. If that means recasting then so be it.