Will mando retcon the sequels (if you don't want spoilers don't read)

Replies

• I don’t want Luke to show up at all in this show unless they get hamill to play him and use deaging technology on his face. Luke being played by someone else sounds terrible.

On a side note, I don’t get the Ahsoka being saved thing and why Ezra saves her from Vader. After the confrontation with Vader, at the very end of the episode we clearly see both Vader and Ahsoka are still alive. Vader never killed her in the first place.

Yeah vader was totally going to kill her. But we never saw the killing blow so I can see your point.

As far as Luke showing up, if the de-aging tech works well then it's fine. But if not I'm ok with another actor, it they look similar enough and do a good job. I think the issue with solo is they didn't really pick someone that really looked like han.

I'd rather they do what is best for the story. If that means recasting then so be it.

Not only that but we even see Vader and Ahsoka both walking away after the fight. I always assumed she was alive and would show back up eventually but Ezra still saves her? That episode kinda confused me.
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    crzydroid wrote: »
    LordDirt wrote: »
    "Filoni teased a possible nonlinear approach to Ahsoka's story in an interview with Vanity Fair (via ScreenRant). While not confirming one way or the other, Filoni makes it clear fans shouldn't assume The Mandalorian is taking place after the Rebels finale.

"That's not necessarily chronological," Filoni told Vanity Fair. "I think the thing that people will most not understand is they want to go in a linear fashion, but as I learned as a kid, nothing in Star Wars really works in a linear fashion. You do [Episodes] Four, Five and Six and then One, Two, and Three. So in the vein of that history, when you look at the epilogue of Rebels you don't really know how much time has passed. So, it's possible that the story I'm telling in The Mandalorian actually takes place prior to that. Possible. I'm saying it's possible." - https://www.ign.com/articles/ahsoka-tano-mandalorian-star-wars-rebels-finale-timeline-nonlinear

Pretty sure this is most likely referring to the scene where Ahsoka and Sabine go looking for Ezra. So he maybe means the Mando episode takes place after she's rescued by Ezra but before she and Sabine have the info to go looking for him and Thrawn.

In any case, I don't think we can assume there is a timeline where Ahsoka did die. A predestination paradox would mean she was always pulled out of the timeline--as we're already talking about time being nonlinear. We never saw her die. As much as I wanted to believe she was dead, Filoni always teased she was alive. Heck, he even says her voice at the end of RoS doesn't even mean she's dead.

At any rate, a proposal of multiple timelines doesn’t really retcon anything. The sequels are still there in the other timeline. But I highly doubt that's where they are going. Also, they would likely not do anything to retcon or erase the sequels.

As much as I'd like to see Luke Skywalker show up, I highly doubt they are going to give Grogu that death sentence. The show is strongly hinting that Grogu will choose to stay with Mando.

Who says that Luke training Grogu is a death sentence? The original trilogy implied there was only 2 Jedi left in the entire galaxy, but the shows tell a different story. I've always wondered if and who of the Jedi was left in the galaxy. Not saying I believe Luke is the Jedi that would take Grogu or if Grogu would leave Mando, just that it wouldn't be counted out just yet. I realize the rest of the season has already been filmed, just gotta see what happens.

IF there was a multi-verse in SW, most of it would be classified as legends, with the main series of movies and shows being the one and only universe. Just my $.02 on that.

No, the original trilogy infers that only two people can "defeat" Darth Vader, his two kids.

When gone am I, the last of the Jedi you will be. Sounds like Yoda thought only him and Old Ben were the only Jedi left. It has been a while since I watched the originals, but I'm pretty sure that was the implication.
  • crzydroid wrote: »
    "Filoni teased a possible nonlinear approach to Ahsoka's story in an interview with Vanity Fair (via ScreenRant). While not confirming one way or the other, Filoni makes it clear fans shouldn't assume The Mandalorian is taking place after the Rebels finale.

"That's not necessarily chronological," Filoni told Vanity Fair. "I think the thing that people will most not understand is they want to go in a linear fashion, but as I learned as a kid, nothing in Star Wars really works in a linear fashion. You do [Episodes] Four, Five and Six and then One, Two, and Three. So in the vein of that history, when you look at the epilogue of Rebels you don't really know how much time has passed. So, it's possible that the story I'm telling in The Mandalorian actually takes place prior to that. Possible. I'm saying it's possible." - https://www.ign.com/articles/ahsoka-tano-mandalorian-star-wars-rebels-finale-timeline-nonlinear

Pretty sure this is most likely referring to the scene where Ahsoka and Sabine go looking for Ezra. So he maybe means the Mando episode takes place after she's rescued by Ezra but before she and Sabine have the info to go looking for him and Thrawn.

In any case, I don't think we can assume there is a timeline where Ahsoka did die. A predestination paradox would mean she was always pulled out of the timeline--as we're already talking about time being nonlinear. We never saw her die. As much as I wanted to believe she was dead, Filoni always teased she was alive. Heck, he even says her voice at the end of RoS doesn't even mean she's dead.

At any rate, a proposal of multiple timelines doesn’t really retcon anything. The sequels are still there in the other timeline. But I highly doubt that's where they are going. Also, they would likely not do anything to retcon or erase the sequels.

As much as I'd like to see Luke Skywalker show up, I highly doubt they are going to give Grogu that death sentence. The show is strongly hinting that Grogu will choose to stay with Mando.

Who says that Luke training Grogu is a death sentence? The original trilogy implied there was only 2 Jedi left in the entire galaxy, but the shows tell a different story. I've always wondered if and who of the Jedi was left in the galaxy. Not saying I believe Luke is the Jedi that would take Grogu or if Grogu would leave Mando, just that it wouldn't be counted out just yet. I realize the rest of the season has already been filmed, just gotta see what happens.

IF there was a multi-verse in SW, most of it would be classified as legends, with the main series of movies and shows being the one and only universe. Just my $.02 on that.

I think the fact that kylo killed all his students and that it is at least possible that grogu's blood is needed to succeed in creating snoke makes a world where grogu is trained by Luke but is still in the same timeline as the sequels likely to lead to a dark end for grogu.

I don't think that Disney would go down that path but you never know.

I'm speculating (yes speculating for those that are arguing that there's no official multiple timelines in star wars. I know that. That's where speculating comes in) that after the backlash of the sequels, they may have decided that fixing the lack of a cohesive plot in those stories was too difficult and that it may be easier to effectively start over. The world between worlds from rebels effectively makes that very easy for them to do that if they so choose.

I would have preferred a world where this wasn't needed but the sequels were a hot dumpster fire as far as story goes so I don't blame them at all if John and Dave don't want to try and fix Kathleen Kennedy's mess.

The child could make a clean break like Ahsoka did and that could happen before Kylo pulls an Anakin.

I agree the sequels weren't...good. But they won't undo the sequels, just like they won't make that old guy on Endor Captain Rex.
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    StarSon wrote: »
    Well, back to the point then: no, Mando, which takes place years before the sequels, will not retcon them.
    Well, back to the point then: no, Mando, which takes place years before the sequels, will not retcon them.

Ok. Feel free to speculate on how you think it will tie into them then.

Why do they have to tie into them at all? Just because they don't retcon them, they also have to someone tie in to their story, which happens 15-20 years after where we are in the Mandalorian right now?

No, the original trilogy infers that only two people can "defeat" Darth Vader, his two kids.

When gone am I, the last of the Jedi you will be. Sounds like Yoda thought only him and Old Ben were the only Jedi left. It has been a while since I watched the originals, but I'm pretty sure that was the implication.

Yoda was a compulsive liar anyway, can't trust that guy.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?

And so was Obi Wan. But it makes sense that if they only see the other and the rest of the surviving Jedi cut themselves off from the force, or shield themselves to be protected from the Empire, that they would assume there was only 2 left.
  • StarSon wrote: »

Why do they have to tie into them at all? Just because they don't retcon them, they also have to someone tie in to their story, which happens 15-20 years after where we are in the Mandalorian right now?

They don't have to tie directly in. But if they don't retcon the sequels, at some point shows like the mandolorian would have to make sense in the events that happen in them. Or are you suggesting they just stop after the mandolorian and leave the period alone?

Maybe. He could have logically though ezra was dead (or not a jedi yet), not known about call (though he could also be dead by then. No one really knows), and either thought ashoka was dead or that she technically isn't a jedi.

It brings up the whole point of view thing but he may not be a serial liar. That goes to obiwan.

But he is possibly a giant hypocrite, preaching against attachment but having his baby raised in the jedi temple. But the whose Grogu's daddy thread would be a different topic.
  • Yoda: Told you I did. Reckless is he. Now, matters are worse.
    Obi-Wan: That boy is our last hope.
    Yoda: No. There is another.

Luke: Yoda spoke of another.
    Obi-Wan: The other he spoke of is your twin sister.
    Luke: But I have no sister.
    Obi-Wan: Hmm. To protect you both from the Emperor, you were hidden from your father when you were born. The Emperor knew, as I did, if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him. That is the reason why your sister remains safely anonymous.
    Luke: Leia! Leia is my sister.
    Obi-Wan: Your insight serves you well. Bury your feelings deep down, Luke. They do you credit, but they could be made to serve the Emperor.

Luke: If I don't make it back, you're the only hope for the Alliance.
    Princess Leia: Luke, don't talk that way. You have a power I don't understand and could never have.
    Luke: You're wrong, Leia. You have that power too. In time you'll learn to use it as I have. The Force runs strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. And... my sister has it. Yes. It's you, Leia.
    Princess Leia: I know. Somehow, I've always known.

They knew no one could beat Darth Vader expect for Luke or Leia. His love for his family was the only thing that could defeat him. That was Anakin's/Darth Vader's only weakness.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member

They don't have to tie directly in. But if they don't retcon the sequels, at some point shows like the mandolorian would have to make sense in the events that happen in them. Or are you suggesting they just stop after the mandolorian and leave the period alone?

No, I'm just saying it's a large Galaxy. We see some things that we can relate to (Rebel soldiers, Empire officers, etc) but so far nothing actually ties directly in to any of the events in any of the movies or TV shows.

I expect we'll see an Ahsoka series where she's trying to find Ezra, and maybe what happens when/if she does, but I doubt very much anything in the Mandalorian will actually have anything to do with any of the movies outside of more random Easter Eggs.
    Yoda: Told you I did. Reckless is he. Now, matters are worse.

Obi-Wan: Hmm. To protect you both from the Emperor, you were hidden from your father when you were born. The Emperor knew, as I did, if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him. That is the reason why your sister remains safely anonymous.
    Obi-Wan: Your insight serves you well. Bury your feelings deep down, Luke. They do you credit, but they could be made to serve the Emperor.

Princess Leia: Luke, don't talk that way. You have a power I don't understand and could never have.
    Luke: You're wrong, Leia. You have that power too. In time you'll learn to use it as I have. The Force runs strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. And... my sister has it. Yes. It's you, Leia.

They knew no one could beat Darth Vader expect for Luke or Leia. His love for his family was the only thing that could defeat him. That was Anakin's/Darth Vader's only weakness.

Just like to point out that Yoda never actually names Leia - Obi-Wan presumes that's who he meant.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
    Yoda: Told you I did. Reckless is he. Now, matters are worse.

I think they sensed in the force that was the case. But didn't know how it would happen consciously.

After all when Luke tells obiwan there's good in vader he says he's more machine now than man twisted and evil. Doesn't sound like he's thinking anakin will return to the light though.

No, I'm just saying it's a large Galaxy. We see some things that we can relate to (Rebel soldiers, Empire officers, etc) but so far nothing actually ties directly in to any of the events in any of the movies or TV shows.

I expect we'll see an Ahsoka series where she's trying to find Ezra, and maybe what happens when/if she does, but I doubt very much anything in the Mandalorian will actually have anything to do with any of the movies outside of more random Easter Eggs.

The shows have a history of filling in the gaps a bit. Clonewars between episodes 2 and 3. Rebels for the events prior to episode 4.

John Favero has already stated that in future seasons the scope of the show is expected to grow, following multiple storylines game of thrones style.

It could just leave the sequels completely alone but that is unlikely if they are trying to only have one timeline as you say and the sequels were a big success as you say. Why wouldn't they try to tie into them? Obviously, I know of several reasons why not but you claim they aren't right. So please explain your reasoning.
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member

The shows have a history of filling in the gaps a bit. Clonewars between episodes 2 and 3. Rebels for the events prior to episode 4.

John Favero has already stated that in future seasons the scope of the show is expected to grow, following multiple storylines game of thrones style.

It could just leave the sequels completely alone but that is unlikely if they are trying to only have one timeline as you say and the sequels were a big success as you say. Why wouldn't they try to tie into them? Obviously, I know of several reasons why not but you claim they aren't right. So please explain your reasoning.

The other shows were very explicitly supposed to tie in. This one, not so much. Not to say it can't, just I don't think it will.

I suspect they've realized how terrible Star Wars fans are, and will try to get as much distance from anything they don't create ASAP. That means leaving the entire trilogy of trilogies alone, and doing other things. Like a Western style bounty hunter show and random off-shoots with favorite characters that don't touch any plot points of the 9 movies and eventually into different eras entirely. That gets them away from people like you who think they could have made a better movie, if only they had $5B to do so.

The other shows were very explicitly supposed to tie in. This one, not so much. Not to say it can't, just I don't think it will.

I suspect they've realized how terrible Star Wars fans are, and will try to get as much distance from anything they don't create ASAP. That means leaving the entire trilogy of trilogies alone, and doing other things. Like a Western style bounty hunter show and random off-shoots with favorite characters that don't touch any plot points of the 9 movies and eventually into different eras entirely. That gets them away from people like you who think they could have made a better movie, if only they had $5B to do so.

So it's the fans fault now because they didn't like the sequels?

Ok.

And it wouldn't take 5 billion to make a better trilogy just some planning and a cohesive story. The effects were fine and ILM did an excellent job as always. But it was a trilogy given to directors that aren't fans of star wars to do whatever they want and then a quick patch at the end to pretend it was all planned.

Having someone like dave filoni who knows star wars and cares about it wouldn't have cost $5 billion. It would have cost basically nothing in the grand scheme of things. And would have likely produced far superior movies.

Jj Abrams is basically a plagiarist that never does anything original as you can tell from TFA. And Rian Johnson is more worried about whether something looks cool than whether it makes any sense in the universe the movie is set in.

Then they're doing a horrible job at distancing themselves. I like the show and think that there is tie ins to the movies and the other shows to give it credibility, but also can be original enough to feel fresh. IMHO.
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member

Not in the way you think. A lot of people didn't like the sequels (the RT audience scores for TFA and ROS are actually really good though), and SW fans are notoriously toxic about things within SW that they dislike. So it makes sense that Disney follows through with their promise that they're done with the Skywalker Saga. There are plenty of things within the Star Wars universe they can do with fewer expectations, as evidenced by how well received The Mandalorian is.
    Having someone like dave filoni who knows star wars and cares about it wouldn't have cost $5 billion. It would have cost basically nothing in the grand scheme of things. And would have likely produced far superior movies.

It would have cost *you* $5B, because you would have had to buy the rights. No one cares that you hate the sequels, and no one cares that I like them. Disney owns it. They did what they did, and they will do what they will do. Your desire for them to have done something else doesn't actually matter, just as my acceptance of what they did doesn't matter.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I dont see any need for them to directly link to the last 3 movies.

They have done a great job (as most SW content does) with keeping the actual timeline vague. Sure they reference big events, but other than characters being older, you never really know how much time passes.

They are also very much "out there" and other than some large moments like the last call to action by Lando, they could carry on with no mind played to what's going on in those movies.

They are basically calling in cameo appearances for things they want, to tie in to the universe, but they are creating their own story.

As for the Ashoka and Grogu jedi thing, she gave up the jedi order, there is no reason Grogu cant meet with Luke (or someone else) and train for a bit, but never become a full jedi, and leave.

Yes there could be connections made, but I dont think they are trying to nor do they need to, directly tie in. It's the outer rim, the wild west. No need to force it to fit anything.
  • Kyno wrote: »

They have done a great job (as most SW content does) with keeping the actual timeline vague. Sure they reference big events, but other than characters being older, you never really know how much time passes.

They are also very much "out there" and other than some large moments like the last call to action by Lando, they could carry on with no mind played to what's going on in those movies.

They are basically calling in cameo appearances for things they want, to tie in to the universe, but they are creating their own story.

As for the Ashoka and Grogu jedi thing, she gave up the jedi order, there is no reason Grogu cant meet with Luke (or someone else) and train for a bit, but never become a full jedi, and leave.

Yes there could be connections made, but I dont think they are trying to nor do they need to, directly tie in. It's the outer rim, the wild west. No need to force it to fit anything.

And it shouldn't be forced to fit. I like the nods here and there, just don't want fan service.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

And it shouldn't be forced to fit. I like the nods here and there, just don't want fan service.

I feel like they are staying on the "right side " of things right now with the playful nods, but nothing too contrived.

The whole show is fan service.

Not in the way you think. A lot of people didn't like the sequels (the RT audience scores for TFA and ROS are actually really good though), and SW fans are notoriously toxic about things within SW that they dislike. So it makes sense that Disney follows through with their promise that they're done with the Skywalker Saga. There are plenty of things within the Star Wars universe they can do with fewer expectations, as evidenced by how well received The Mandalorian is.

It would have cost *you* $5B, because you would have had to buy the rights. No one cares that you hate the sequels, and no one cares that I like them. Disney owns it. They did what they did, and they will do what they will do. Your desire for them to have done something else doesn't actually matter, just as my acceptance of what they did doesn't matter.

Actually what I and many other fans think does collectively matter. So writing a coherent story does lead to higher ticket sales in the theater.

Here's an example. Before the sequels, I saw every star wars movie since episode 2 at least 3 times in the theater. I did the same for episode 7 and even episode 8. (It took a few viewings to wrap my head around and the issues between the two only get worse the more you watch it). But I only saw solo and ep 9 once. Solo mostly out of protest but it was kinda meh anyway. Then ep 9 (which I liked better than ep 8 or ep 7) I still only saw once in theaters because by then when viewed as a whole trilogy they don't fit together.

Now I'm guessing I'm not alone on repeat viewings for star wars movies. And from the declining ticket sales, it looks like the data backs that up. So, yes, it does matter what fans think since they buy more tickets than the average movie goer.

It's not staying in the outer rim. Tython is in the deep core. Mado will likely have to travel through the more populous areas of the galaxy to get there.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

It's not staying in the outer rim. Tython is in the deep core. Mado will likely have to travel through the more populous areas of the galaxy to get there.

Yep and I'm sure we will get a few nods here and there, but I'm sure it will be more "passing through" and maybe new places than any real dive into places/events from any of the movies.

Yep and I'm sure we will get a few nods here and there, but I'm sure it will be more "passing through" and maybe new places than any real dive into places/events from any of the movies.

We'll see of course. But from the way season 2 is going so far, I could definitely see a run in with the new republic as a possibility.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

We'll see of course. But from the way season 2 is going so far, I could definitely see a run in with the new republic as a possibility.

I agree, but I think it will be some new or previously ancillary characters. I'm not saying they will avoid the movie material completely, but I feel like they will try to make it "thier own" and not force themselves into situations like what is being discussed in this thread.

They seem to be smart about it so far, and I feel like that is very intentional.

I agree, but I think it will be some new or previously ancillary characters. I'm not saying they will avoid the movie material completely, but I feel like they will try to make it "thier own" and not force themselves into situations like what is being discussed in this thread.

They seem to be smart about it so far, and I feel like that is very intentional.

I could see Luke training grogu. I'm not sure if that is forcing it into a situation as you say.

And I think the story of the show is important and shouldn't be sacrificed for something like an Easter egg or a cameo. If they want to bring a character in that is from another movie or show, it should be for a good reason. I think they have done reasonably well with this so far. Though the boba cameo doesn't currently seem to have a purpose but hopefully there was a reason other than fan service that becomes clear later.

But focusing on just the smaller story at the expense of the universe and how it works can also be a mistake. An example from the sequels is the holdo maneuver. It worked ok for the story if TLJ was a stand alone movie but in the overall star wars universe broke the rules about how hyperspace works to the point where they had to retcon it in the next movie. I'm hoping they are past mistakes like that as well.

Just like everything that came out after A New Hope?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

I could see Luke training grogu. I'm not sure if that is forcing it into a situation as you say.

And I think the story of the show is important and shouldn't be sacrificed for something like an Easter egg or a cameo. If they want to bring a character in that is from another movie or show, it should be for a good reason. I think they have done reasonably well with this so far. Though the boba cameo doesn't currently seem to have a purpose but hopefully there was a reason other than fan service that becomes clear later.

But focusing on just the smaller story at the expense of the universe and how it works can also be a mistake. An example from the sequels is the holdo maneuver. It worked ok for the story if TLJ was a stand alone movie but in the overall star wars universe broke the rules about how hyperspace works to the point where they had to retcon it in the next movie. I'm hoping they are past mistakes like that as well.

I agree we could see Luke train Grogu, but I dont see him developing into a main character, and since we see Grogu as a main character, Luke will likely be someone that shows up here and there to give a twist or an out when needed.

No I don't see that as forced, what I mean by forced is literally using this show to connect dots from EP6 -> EP7, just to fill in details or background that are not really needed at this point.

Pulling in cameos from any and all material is great, it helps tie this to the universe we love, but this show needs to be it's own thing, much like it has been.

I try not to bring real science into this, I mean we had an episode where he went from one system to another without hyperdrive.......I'm sure there are a few examples (maybe not) where this is less than a 1-2 year venture....but that's not realistic. There are many other things that should just not be discussed with regards to science also, it's a story, let's let it be.

Just like everything that came out after A New Hope?

Nope, this show just picks the same locations, people and cameos. Not too many new things.