Will mando retcon the sequels (if you don't want spoilers don't read)

1235Next

Replies

• Just seems weird to add Luke at this time to me. How did he set up the Jedi Temple in five years? Is Ben Solo going to be there? Does Grogu survive the great Jedi purge and Kylo Ren destroying the new temple? If so, lucky kid!
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Kyno wrote: »
    I just wanted to add, that I love all the nods to other material, but I think that some of those are just nods and not direct foreshadowing. I think its very intentional to obscure any future foreshadowing they do. so while i get the point about Ezra, I just feel like he is less likely.

I have seen some things that looked like nods or insignificant but later proved to be foreshadowing when you see it later.

Like the razor Crest being continually beaten up foreshadowed it's destruction.

Boba appearing in ep 1 seemed like pure fan service but foreshadowed his later larger role.

Or the prison break episode from last season that was called filler seems to be more important now.

I even think the run in with the new republic in ep 2 that everyone calls filler will prove important.
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    Just seems weird to add Luke at this time to me. How did he set up the Jedi Temple in five years? Is Ben Solo going to be there? Does Grogu survive the great Jedi purge and Kylo Ren destroying the new temple? If so, lucky kid!

Luke probably wouldn't have his jedi temple set up by now. But he could still take a student.

The kylo slaughter doesn't happen for several more years after this. The strange part about that isn't that there would be survivors but the fact that according to the sequels there aren't survivors. After all Luke had over 20 years to train jedi and for kylo and a few students to take them all out there couldn't have been more than a dozen or so students. Remember kylo didn't have an army of stormtroopers like vader did for order 66. Realistically Luke would have trained dozens of jedi who would also have trained a few themselves by then and kylo turning wouldn't be enough. At least not without a good explanation. And that is just one of the many issues with the sequels.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »
    I just wanted to add, that I love all the nods to other material, but I think that some of those are just nods and not direct foreshadowing. I think its very intentional to obscure any future foreshadowing they do. so while i get the point about Ezra, I just feel like he is less likely.

I have seen some things that looked like nods or insignificant but later proved to be foreshadowing when you see it later.

Boba appearing in ep 1 seemed like pure fan service but foreshadowed his later larger role.

Or the prison break episode from last season that was called filler seems to be more important now.

I even think the run in with the new republic in ep 2 that everyone calls filler will prove important.

absolutely, I would even suspect they are doing some of them, without really knowing if they will "pan out later", just kind of laying the groundwork for how things can develop. but then again i'm not going to say I know how far in advance things are written.
    Just seems weird to add Luke at this time to me. How did he set up the Jedi Temple in five years? Is Ben Solo going to be there? Does Grogu survive the great Jedi purge and Kylo Ren destroying the new temple? If so, lucky kid!

Luke probably wouldn't have his jedi temple set up by now. But he could still take a student.

The kylo slaughter doesn't happen for several more years after this. The strange part about that isn't that there would be survivors but the fact that according to the sequels there aren't survivors. After all Luke had over 20 years to train jedi and for kylo and a few students to take them all out there couldn't have been more than a dozen or so students. Remember kylo didn't have an army of stormtroopers like vader did for order 66. Realistically Luke would have trained dozens of jedi who would also have trained a few themselves by then and kylo turning wouldn't be enough. At least not without a good explanation. And that is just one of the many issues with the sequels.

Kylo Ren could have done it by himself. He had the element of surprise at night. By the time anyone knew what was going on they would all be dead. Plus as powerful as he was he would just mow through them.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

absolutely, I would even suspect they are doing some of them, without really knowing if they will "pan out later", just kind of laying the groundwork for how things can develop. but then again i'm not going to say I know how far in advance things are written.

I think John favero said he's writing season 4 right now. And I do think things are planned out more than you are thinking.

So far they have done an excellent job in paying off small details and making sure it all fits well together and within the existing lore.

Definitely a welcome breath of fresh air compared to the sequel trilogy where you can tell they just made it up as they went.
  • Any new thoughts on this topic now that we know Luke will be training Grogu?

I still think the best route for the story would be to just throw out the sequels.
  • Any new thoughts on this topic now that we know Luke will be training Grogu?

I still think the best route for the story would be to just throw out the sequels.

Why? Just because you didnt like them doesnt mean you erase it.
    Any new thoughts on this topic now that we know Luke will be training Grogu?

It's not just because I don't like them. A lot of people didn't like them. They were poorly written, and a dumpster fire as far as the story goes.

There have been many times when movies go poorly enough that they just start over. And the sequels were bad enough that starting over would be better than fixing them.

You can still like them if you want but the declining revenue after the last jedi and the utter lack of interest in toys from the sequels showed how big of a financial failure they were.
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    Kylo Ren is one of my favorite SW characters of all time. A lot of us out there so I don’t think he will be phased out. Could the trilogy be better? Sure, but you can say the same about the other two trilogies.
  • Sebek wrote: »
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Any new thoughts on this topic now that we know Luke will be training Grogu?

It's not just because I don't like them. A lot of people didn't like them. They were poorly written, and a dumpster fire as far as the story goes.

There have been many times when movies go poorly enough that they just start over. And the sequels were bad enough that starting over would be better than fixing them.

You can still like them if you want but the declining revenue after the last jedi and the utter lack of interest in toys from the sequels showed how big of a financial failure they were.

But a lot of people like them too

That's why I think an alternate universe approach would be the best approach.

Those that like the sequels can consider them cannon.

Those that don't can have something to enjoy.
    Kylo Ren is one of my favorite SW characters of all time. A lot of us out there so I don’t think he will be phased out. Could the trilogy be better? Sure, but you can say the same about the other two trilogies.

I liked kylo as a villain for about the first half of ep 7. Then he just became a whinny joke of a villain.

I don't think the temper tantrum scenes did him any favors. A villain who isn't in control of himself, isn't all that menacing.

And by the end of ep 7, I couldn't take kylo seriously at all. It would have been similar as if Luke would have beaten vader in the first movie. At no point after that was I thinking that kylo was a threat that Rey may not be able to handle.

In the last jedi, they then destroyed the only actual threat, smoke because they thought it'd be funny. Then they had to half **** bring back palps because everyone knew kylo was a joke of a villain.
  • that is where they went wrong. They should have went off the original writers script and had Kylo stay the main bad guy. We always hear about Sith killing their master and then getting an apprentice and that would have been nice to see in a movie. (I know he isnt a Sith)
    that is where they went wrong. They should have went off the original writers script and had Kylo stay the main bad guy. We always hear about Sith killing their master and then getting an apprentice and that would have been nice to see in a movie. (I know he isnt a Sith)

Had they had kylo beat Rey only for her to barely escape in ep 7, that would have left him as a viable villain but as it was that would have been a joke.