Mandalorian S2:E8 Chat (SPOILERS)

Replies

• Hammil’s IG post is classic. v93mtkqxdvbm.png
  • Nihion wrote: »
    To me, this was a sign that Disney no longer intends to make good Star Wars; only crowd pleasing Star Wars.

It’s an unpopular opinion, I know, but I was disappointed with season 1 of the Mandalorian. It was a show that sacrificed plot for action, and character development was limited even in the long drawn out sequences of the show. But at least it was a show about the Mandalorian.

This new season was worse. Favreau and Filoni seemed to drop any goal they had of making something powerful: Most of the show is plot or action, and even the plot is just explained away. I loved seeing Boba, and Ashoka, and Hamill, but this show needs to become its own thing. This was their first chance to show that Star Wars can be amazing without the Skywalker Saga, and it failed with this last episode. My favorite episode was the only episode not written my Favreau and Filoni because it had actual character development, and rich dialogue.

I know that everyone here is about to tell me how wrong I am, but you just can’t deny that this show is beginning to show cracks. It hurt me to watch this finale.

In all fairness, the line between good and crowd pleasing has become blurred lately. I’m no expert on film, but maybe a crowd pleasing approach is considered good TV now, and maybe that’s not a bad thing. But I still can’t shake that feeling that this show is being run by a section of people full of toxicity and nostalgia that aren’t willing to let their childhood or Legends go. I understand that position. But I don’t think that’s how we should run Star Wars.

To be fair, a show that doesn’t please the target audience usually gets canceled. Though I agree, Luke was literally the last Jedi I wanted to see, but he was the obvious one. Was what I would call a cliche moment.
  • RTS
    682 posts Member
    Nihion wrote: »
    To me, this was a sign that Disney no longer intends to make good Star Wars; only crowd pleasing Star Wars.

It’s an unpopular opinion, I know, but I was disappointed with season 1 of the Mandalorian. It was a show that sacrificed plot for action, and character development was limited even in the long drawn out sequences of the show. But at least it was a show about the Mandalorian.

This new season was worse. Favreau and Filoni seemed to drop any goal they had of making something powerful: Most of the show is plot or action, and even the plot is just explained away. I loved seeing Boba, and Ashoka, and Hamill, but this show needs to become its own thing. This was their first chance to show that Star Wars can be amazing without the Skywalker Saga, and it failed with this last episode. My favorite episode was the only episode not written my Favreau and Filoni because it had actual character development, and rich dialogue.

I know that everyone here is about to tell me how wrong I am, but you just can’t deny that this show is beginning to show cracks. It hurt me to watch this finale.

In all fairness, the line between good and crowd pleasing has become blurred lately. I’m no expert on film, but maybe a crowd pleasing approach is considered good TV now, and maybe that’s not a bad thing. But I still can’t shake that feeling that this show is being run by a section of people full of toxicity and nostalgia that aren’t willing to let their childhood or Legends go. I understand that position. But I don’t think that’s how we should run Star Wars.

You're wrong.
  • The show exists in the SW universe. To have tie ins to the rest of the universe is not a bad thing, expected, and pretty normal. As long as the tie ins don’t take over the show, then I don’t have an issue with them. There has to be a good balance, and I think they’ve done that. If you removed all tie ins then you’d have nothing left.
  • RTS
    682 posts Member
    BTW - did nobody but me catch the 'Macklunkey' reference?
  • Luke with Force Crush? Make it happen CG!
  • RTS
    682 posts Member
    Sebek wrote: »
    RTS wrote: »
    BTW - did nobody but me catch the 'Macklunkey' reference?

I Heard It, Well, it's like Yub-Yub lol

For some reason I've been listening for it all season, and then at the buzzer there it was.
  • Though I’m confused as to why Bo Katan could accept the dark saber from Sabine but not from Mando.

That was my thought at first but there are a few possible explanations. Sabine found the Darksaber in Maul's lair. Sabine's mom, Ursa Wren, told her that no one would follow her lead due to the Darksaber because she did not win it in combat from Maul. Later, Sabine's mom betrayed her and gave the Darksaber to Gar Saxon. Neither Sabine or Saxon had come into possession of the Darksaber by winning it in combat at that point. Then, Sabine defeated Gar Saxon in combat. So it's questionable whether Sabine was a rightful owner of the Darksaber as Saxon had no legitimate claim to it when they fought. Bo-Katan only accepts the Darksaber from Sabine (after initially declining it) when the other clans proclaim support for her as the new leader of Mandalore.

There could have been issues that followed from Bo-Katan's acceptance of the Darksaber previously. Perhaps her claim to the Darksaber was ultimately rejected by the people of Mandalore because she didn't win it in combat or because Maul was never defeated for it and so she knows that won't work this time. When she accepted it the first time, she already had the backing of the people to be the new ruler so it's also possible that she knows she needs to win it this time to get people to follow her lead, unlike last time. Since Dave Filoni is one of the producers of this show and he was in charge of Rebels and he knows this universe like the back of his hand, I'm sure this is a question that he thought hard about before it went down this way in the episode.
  • Though I’m confused as to why Bo Katan could accept the dark saber from Sabine but not from Mando.

That was my thought at first but there are a few possible explanations. Sabine found the Darksaber in Maul's lair. Sabine's mom, Ursa Wren, told her that no one would follow her lead due to the Darksaber because she did not win it in combat from Maul. Later, Sabine's mom betrayed her and gave the Darksaber to Gar Saxon. Neither Sabine or Saxon had come into possession of the Darksaber by winning it in combat at that point. Then, Sabine defeated Gar Saxon in combat. So it's questionable whether Sabine was a rightful owner of the Darksaber as Saxon had no legitimate claim to it when they fought. Bo-Katan only accepts the Darksaber from Sabine (after initially declining it) when the other clans proclaim support for her as the new leader of Mandalore.

There could have been issues that followed from Bo-Katan's acceptance of the Darksaber previously. Perhaps her claim to the Darksaber was ultimately rejected by the people of Mandalore because she didn't win it in combat or because Maul was never defeated for it and so she knows that won't work this time. When she accepted it the first time, she already had the backing of the people to be the new ruler so it's also possible that she knows she needs to win it this time to get people to follow her lead, unlike last time. Since Dave Filoni is one of the producers of this show and he was in charge of Rebels and he knows this universe like the back of his hand, I'm sure this is a question that he thought hard about before it went down this way in the episode.

There definitely needs to be an explanation. At this point
    Maul was defeated by Obi Wan, Obi Wan by Vader and Vader by Luke? So Luke would be the rightful ruler of Mandalor? Hopefully in season 3

Plus I thought Bo Katan was killed by Gideon at the end, until I saw her standing after Luke left.

Maul was defeated by Obi Wan, Obi Wan by Vader and Vader by Luke? So Luke would be the rightful ruler of Mandalor? Hopefully in season 3

Plus I thought Bo Katan was killed by Gideon at the end, until I saw her standing after Luke left.

Lol, the spoiler is hilarious but True! Could be Mando’s ticket back to Grogu!!
    My discord - BabyYoda#4470 My swgoh.gg - https://swgoh.gg/p/648565123/

Mando shows up at his door. “Listen, I’m taking the child, you can fight Bo Katan for the dark saber. Bye Felicia!” Then he leaves to go find a ship.

Mando shows up at his door. “Listen, I’m taking the child, you can fight Bo Katan for the dark saber. Bye Felicia!” Then he leaves to go find a ship.

LOL
  • Was a bit disappointed that it was Luke, but at the same time liked seeing him destroy the dark troopers. Was ok for an episode, though I was expecting season 3 to be all about rescuing the child. Gideon played the Mandalorians. Though I’m confused as to why Bo Katan could accept the dark saber from Sabine but not from Mando.

Because ... Moff Gideon was around & she didn’t want to embarrass herself
  • Wow. Just wow. Luke done right
  • That episode was amazing. Great action. Great cameos, amazing post credit scene.

They can do plenty with mando still and hopefully the Boba spin-off is its own. This is the type of Star Wars i want. I had so much hope after TFA, only to get groin kicked by TLJ and the mess of ROS
  • Ltswb1 wrote: »
    The show exists in the SW universe. To have tie ins to the rest of the universe is not a bad thing, expected, and pretty normal. As long as the tie ins don’t take over the show, then I don’t have an issue with them. There has to be a good balance, and I think they’ve done that. If you removed all tie ins then you’d have nothing left.

I’m just here to drop my opinion, but I will respond to this: You just explained why the show did tie-ins wrong: If you remove these tie ins, there is nothing left. The show is a skeleton filled with crowd pleasing moments. And personally, I think that cameos need to be important to the show; Boba is ONLY in this show to do cool things. They could have used him to influence Mando about Mandalorians and the complications of bounty hunting, but they did not.

On the contrary, I enjoyed the show, and there is an argument to be made about whether this show is actually better because of tie-ins. However, I prefer to see it as losing the general audience.
  • Nihion wrote: »

Cool go watch last jedi

• There definitely needs to be an explanation. At this point

While that may be true, who has it when maul is defeated? Aka does obi wan ever take possession of it?

Vader?

Luke?

Who knows about those fights and wins?

Because moff is right its the story that holds the power and if you live the lie long enough and noone knows the truth.... what is reality?
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    Double post..... 15 minutes later
  • Just remember, if you hated the fighting in Episode 7-9 you cant like the fighting between Mando and Moff. ;)
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Just remember, if you hated the fighting in Episode 7-9 you cant like the fighting between Mando and Moff. ;)

I don’t know if you’re being sarcastic or not, I assume so, but I really liked that duel. It was fun, the beskar almost melting was epic, and the idea that Gideon had some kind of plan was nice. Not really sure why we needed that moment before the duel though where he’s like “You can have the Child.”
  • I’ve saw d it before and I’ll say it again, the absolute best part of watching these movies is that my wife has seen little to no Star Wars movies!!!

On the big reveal.... who’s that, LOL

Next is baby Yoda actually Yoda....

Finally Didn’t Luke Die???

Trying to explain all the timelines and who is who actually got complicated, I almost had to pull out pen and paper to do charts.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Foxer2373 wrote: »

The mandalorian takes place 8 years after ROTJ and 22 years before the sequel trilogy (TFA, TLJ, TROS)
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Foxer2373 wrote: »

The mandalorian takes place 8 years after ROTJ and 22 years before the sequel trilogy (TFA, TLJ, TROS)

I thought it was 5 years after ROTJ ?
  • KueChael
    930 posts Moderator
    Glad to see they let Grogu go, now the Mandalorian can take a different course after 2 seasons of protecting the child. They also put many set up / spin offs in this season, so crowd pleasing was going to happen. Mando will probably aide to rescue Mandalore. Asoka series is also coming, Cara Dune may be in a new series and The book of Boba is coming.

There has to be a starting point for all these events. I thought adding Luke was classic not crowd pleasing. It tied the current struggle to protect Grogu up in a neat tidy bow.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    KueChael wrote: »
    Glad to see they let Grogu go, now the Mandalorian can take a different course after 2 seasons of protecting the child. They also put many set up / spin offs in this season, so crowd pleasing was going to happen. Mando will probably aide to rescue Mandalore. Asoka series is also coming, Cara Dune may be in a new series and The book of Boba is coming.

There has to be a starting point for all these events. I thought adding Luke was classic not crowd pleasing. It tied the current struggle to protect Grogu up in a neat tidy bow.

In my opinion, those shows will also be crowd pleasing. I will state again or the first if I haven’t already, my opinion is quite unpopular. I am aware that many people are likely in a very different position with the show, and I’m okay with that.

On that note, I agree, I think this was the time to make the decision of keeping Grogu or not. The show can now be about Mando continuing to learn about his people. I’m guessing that Grogu leaving is going to lose a lot of casual watchers though.
  • I’m fairly certain Book of Boba is just the next season of Mando.
  • They’re already working on season 3, guys.
  • Also Grogu has serious attachment issues. Meaning he’ll turn to the dark side and become.... a Knight of Ren!!!

😂😂😂