Mandalorian S2:E8 Chat (SPOILERS)

Replies

• Nihion wrote: »
    Eweff wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    To me, this was a sign that Disney no longer intends to make good Star Wars; only crowd pleasing Star Wars.

It’s an unpopular opinion, I know, but I was disappointed with season 1 of the Mandalorian. It was a show that sacrificed plot for action, and character development was limited even in the long drawn out sequences of the show. But at least it was a show about the Mandalorian.

This new season was worse. Favreau and Filoni seemed to drop any goal they had of making something powerful: Most of the show is plot or action, and even the plot is just explained away. I loved seeing Boba, and Ashoka, and Hamill, but this show needs to become its own thing. This was their first chance to show that Star Wars can be amazing without the Skywalker Saga, and it failed with this last episode. My favorite episode was the only episode not written my Favreau and Filoni because it had actual character development, and rich dialogue.

I know that everyone here is about to tell me how wrong I am, but you just can’t deny that this show is beginning to show cracks. It hurt me to watch this finale.

In all fairness, the line between good and crowd pleasing has become blurred lately. I’m no expert on film, but maybe a crowd pleasing approach is considered good TV now, and maybe that’s not a bad thing. But I still can’t shake that feeling that this show is being run by a section of people full of toxicity and nostalgia that aren’t willing to let their childhood or Legends go. I understand that position. But I don’t think that’s how we should run Star Wars.

What are you talking about? Making a good show is “crowd pleasing” so you’ll have to be more precise.
    What is “toxic”? The use of well created material that people love?
    The majority of the season had mando and grogu growing together and mando learning to be a “dad”/friend.
    You wanted to break off of the Skywalker Saga but there’s literally no other Jedi out there right now that mando could take grogu to. So, help me understand, the only way it could’ve been good in your eyes is either mando fails one his mission or they just create a random Jedi that we’ve never met that also somehow doesn’t exist in TFA era?

And what do you mean the plot is just “explained away”? Have you ever watched Star Wars before? That is precisely what “the force” is. It’s a plot convenience device to serve the adventure:
    “How is Luke going to destroy this giant space station when more skilled pilots couldn’t? Magic!”
    “How is Luke going to get off of cloud city after losing to Vader? Magic.”
    “How did Maz Kanata (not even going to pretend that’s spelled right) get Luke’s lightsaber? Magic.”
    “How did Rey beat Kylo? Magic.”
    “How did Palpatine survive a giant space explosion in order to come back and serve as a final villain for us when Rian Johnson embarrassingly killed off the first villain JJ set up? Magic.”

Most episodes of season 2 are explained by one character at the beginning, and then action happens. I think you’re unfamiliar with the many Jedi created recently, and yes, they could create a new Jedi. I would’ve found it good if there was real character development. They spend most of season 2 attempting to develop the bond between Mando and Grogu, but we never really get very far, and now he’s gone.

My problem is that they are clearly using cheap devices in order to win the audience over: Character cameos, Grogu cuteness, and cool action. My problem with season 1 is the same as season 2: Strip that all away, and the show is just a boring repetitive story with a guy in a suit. He hasn’t learned much yet, and the galaxy isn’t very well defined.

This is just the way I see the show. My artistic experience is telling me that this is not good for the Star Wars universe. But I could be wrong. I’m just saying it’s not as good as it’s made out to be, but it’s okay if everyone else loves it.

I’m not sure what you mean. I am remembering a few episodes off the top of my head and each of them have twists, obstacles, growth between mando and grogu, and uncertainty.

It would have to be an actual Jedi. Cal doesn’t count. One of Luke’s students don’t count. Yoda told Luke that he is the last of the Jedi. It’s 8 years later. It wouldn’t make sense for anyone else to show up. This is the time that Luke is building his order. It only makes sense for Luke to show up. Having some other official Jedi out there building a separate Jedi order that neither Luke nor yoda knew about... that is reaching.

Most of the characters in the show are brand new characters. The boba fett one is the only one I could think of as going out of their way to add in. Everyone else fits in perfectly with mando’s world and story. You can’t just act like he exists in a vacuum. He’s searching for Jedi and mandalorians. That’s who he’s going to find.

There’s nothing wrong with grogu being cute. They don’t have to make something ugly for it to be “deep and artsy.”

Again, nothing wrong with cool action.

You sound so snobby knocking these things as cheap. It’s entertainment. People want to relax and enjoy it. This isn’t your college film class where everything has to be boring, sad, and “subverting your expectations” to be considered “good art”.

He has learned a lot. He’s grown quite a bit from single minded bounty hunter to “dad that values grogu over his old ideals”.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    To me, this was a sign that Disney no longer intends to make good Star Wars; only crowd pleasing Star Wars.

It’s an unpopular opinion, I know, but I was disappointed with season 1 of the Mandalorian. It was a show that sacrificed plot for action, and character development was limited even in the long drawn out sequences of the show. But at least it was a show about the Mandalorian.

This new season was worse. Favreau and Filoni seemed to drop any goal they had of making something powerful: Most of the show is plot or action, and even the plot is just explained away. I loved seeing Boba, and Ashoka, and Hamill, but this show needs to become its own thing. This was their first chance to show that Star Wars can be amazing without the Skywalker Saga, and it failed with this last episode. My favorite episode was the only episode not written my Favreau and Filoni because it had actual character development, and rich dialogue.

I know that everyone here is about to tell me how wrong I am, but you just can’t deny that this show is beginning to show cracks. It hurt me to watch this finale.

In all fairness, the line between good and crowd pleasing has become blurred lately. I’m no expert on film, but maybe a crowd pleasing approach is considered good TV now, and maybe that’s not a bad thing. But I still can’t shake that feeling that this show is being run by a section of people full of toxicity and nostalgia that aren’t willing to let their childhood or Legends go. I understand that position. But I don’t think that’s how we should run Star Wars.

What are you talking about? Making a good show is “crowd pleasing” so you’ll have to be more precise.
    The majority of the season had mando and grogu growing together and mando learning to be a “dad”/friend.
    You wanted to break off of the Skywalker Saga but there’s literally no other Jedi out there right now that mando could take grogu to. So, help me understand, the only way it could’ve been good in your eyes is either mando fails one his mission or they just create a random Jedi that we’ve never met that also somehow doesn’t exist in TFA era?

And what do you mean the plot is just “explained away”? Have you ever watched Star Wars before? That is precisely what “the force” is. It’s a plot convenience device to serve the adventure:
    “How is Luke going to destroy this giant space station when more skilled pilots couldn’t? Magic!”
    “How did Maz Kanata (not even going to pretend that’s spelled right) get Luke’s lightsaber? Magic.”
    “How did Palpatine survive a giant space explosion in order to come back and serve as a final villain for us when Rian Johnson embarrassingly killed off the first villain JJ set up? Magic.”

Most episodes of season 2 are explained by one character at the beginning, and then action happens. I think you’re unfamiliar with the many Jedi created recently, and yes, they could create a new Jedi. I would’ve found it good if there was real character development. They spend most of season 2 attempting to develop the bond between Mando and Grogu, but we never really get very far, and now he’s gone.

My problem is that they are clearly using cheap devices in order to win the audience over: Character cameos, Grogu cuteness, and cool action. My problem with season 1 is the same as season 2: Strip that all away, and the show is just a boring repetitive story with a guy in a suit. He hasn’t learned much yet, and the galaxy isn’t very well defined.

This is just the way I see the show. My artistic experience is telling me that this is not good for the Star Wars universe. But I could be wrong. I’m just saying it’s not as good as it’s made out to be, but it’s okay if everyone else loves it.

I’m not sure what you mean. I am remembering a few episodes off the top of my head and each of them have twists, obstacles, growth between mando and grogu, and uncertainty.

It would have to be an actual Jedi. Cal doesn’t count. One of Luke’s students don’t count. Yoda told Luke that he is the last of the Jedi. It’s 8 years later. It wouldn’t make sense for anyone else to show up. This is the time that Luke is building his order. It only makes sense for Luke to show up. Having some other official Jedi out there building a separate Jedi order that neither Luke nor yoda knew about... that is reaching.

Most of the characters in the show are brand new characters. The boba fett one is the only one I could think of as going out of their way to add in. Everyone else fits in perfectly with mando’s world and story. You can’t just act like he exists in a vacuum. He’s searching for Jedi and mandalorians. That’s who he’s going to find.

There’s nothing wrong with grogu being cute. They don’t have to make something ugly for it to be “deep and artsy.”

Again, nothing wrong with cool action.

You sound so snobby knocking these things as cheap. It’s entertainment. People want to relax and enjoy it. This isn’t your college film class where everything has to be boring, sad, and “subverting your expectations” to be considered “good art”.

He has learned a lot. He’s grown quite a bit from single minded bounty hunter to “dad that values grogu over his old ideals”.

Thank you for your judge of my character based on my opinion, you were pretty spot on. Maybe next time respect will get your point across.

I’m not saying this is terrible, I’m just saying that if this is considered untouchably fantastic (The hype for this show exists on a crazy level), then Star Wars is headed toward a pretty unsettling future, and they’re going to lose their general audience.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Eutus wrote: »

Oh!? Which or the star wars books did you write that sold real well?

None. You don’t have to sell a Star Wars book to be an artist.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »
    That was fun. Always nice to see Sasha Banks.

I'm pretty sure Book of Boba means this is the end of Pedro Pascal's story. But that's okay. His arc is complete. I'm sure he'll show up in some episodes of season 3, but he's no longer going to be the main character. After all, where else do you go with him?

That said, I'd be fine with Book of Boba being either a spin-off or season 3. I trust Filoni and Favreau to make either one work. But, to me, it feels like this is a good point to transition to telling a new story rather than having to keep adding extensions onto the original story.
    Could we replace sad old Luke (JML) with the kicka** Luke we saw yesterday? What fans really wanted Luke to be after Return of the Jedi?

.......This takes place just a few years after Return of the Jedi. Jedi Master Luke is like 30 years after even this. You think he's going to be a spry young jedi his whole life? I've got news for both you and your knees and ankles if that's the case....

Yes I realize that. But no one asked for the Luke we saw in TLJ. We wanted to see Luke be a powerful Jedi like we saw on this last episode. I just want this awesome Luke in the game. JKL doesn’t do him justice.

I did. I love Last Jedi.

Stop being such a hater. Your life will be much more enjoyable when you break free of the solipsism of "I did not like this therefore it is bad."

I didn’t hate TLJ. I thought there was some beautiful cinematography and some interesting ideas. But they totally bungled Luke.
  • "Someone says something and then stuff happens" isn't the criticism you think it is.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • This isn’t a Last Jedi thread.

At some point, we as a fan base need to accept that some people liked it and others didn’t, and that’s that. If you liked it, no need to shove it in everyone’s face. If you didn’t like it, ignore it. It could be (key word: could) as simple as that.
  • Wadthebad wrote: »
    Beskar mando should have a spear basic

comes with gl mando B)
  • MasterSeedy
    4993 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    Top 10 Missed Opportunities for Mando Season Finale:

Moff Gideon: "No, Grogu. I am your father."
  • Top 10 Missed Opportunities for Mando Season Finale:

Moff Gideon: "No, Grogu. I am your father."

Continue
    My discord - BabyYoda#4470 My swgoh.gg - https://swgoh.gg/p/648565123/
  • #9:
    Mando: Are you all right? You're trembling. What's going on?
    Greef: (nervous pause) ... something wonderful has happened. Mando, I'm pregnant.
  • #8 (copied from a friend):
    Mando to Gideon: Where is Grogu? Is he safe?
    Gedeon: It seems in your rage, you killed him.
    9964z9vev2pa.gif

• #7 (copied from same friend):
    [Mando & Boba enter.]
    Gideon: Now there are two of them? This is really getting out of hand.

• LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    edited December 2020

Luke leaves, they all sigh in relief for still being alive but then this ship pops up and Moff Gideon gives a big smile.

er4ksd0xqpwh.jpeg
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • #6:
    [Grogu looks about to throw up, then relaxes.]
    Mando: That's how we get ready for bed. Not by spitting up what we ate, but by swallowing what we love.

• Mando, to Gideon: You know, no matter how much we fought, I’ve always hated watching you leave.

• Bokatan to Mando

Is that a darksaber in your pocket?
  • In a chaotic fight, a black man runs across the screen towards an exit, carrying something. Mando shoots sideways, killing Gideon.

Greef, holding Grogu, pops up from behind a crate.

Greef: Did you know that wasn't me?
  • (Mando finally finds Grogu.)
    Mando: My goodness, you’ve grown.
    Grogu: So have you, grown more beautiful… for a mandalorian, I mean.

• Gideon: I hate you.
    Mando: I know.
  • Gideon: I’ve been looking forward to this day for a long time!
    Mando: Yes, I bet you have.

• Boba Fett: Marching into a detention area is not what I had in mind.
    Mando: But they’re gonna kill Grogu!
    Boba: Better him than me!

• Boba to Koska:

Well, if that isn’t the Quacta calling the Stifling Slimy

Koska to Boba:

You know what comes next right?
  • One more from my friend:
    Mando and friends walk in.
    Gideon: we don't serve their kind.
    Cara (to Mando and Boba): Maybe you should wait outside.

• Hal_10000 wrote: »
    One other thing I liked about the episode: the slow reveal of Luke. We see an X-wing. Then we see a hooded figure in black and white. Then we see the green saber. Then we see the hand. Then finally the full reveal. It was like, "Who is that? Oh, wait is it ... no, it can't be ... YES IT IS!"

This. I was yelling it out like it was a checklist. :D
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Ltswb1 wrote: »
    I’m fairly certain Book of Boba is just the next season of Mando.

No - it's a separate show (possibly just a miniseries). There will be a Mando season 3 AND "The Book of Boba"
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Kinda disappointed about it being Luke, was honestly hoping for Windu xD
    “But you know what I always say: Speak softly and drive a big tank.”
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Wadthebad wrote: »

The current beskar mando we see in game is season one (no spear), he doesnt even have the Crest on his armor.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    Book of Boba (helluva name for a bubble tea store, btw) was confirmed to be separate from season 3 yesterday. Source:
    https://insidethemagic.net/2020/12/book-of-boba-fett-mandalorian-season-3-rwb1/

So that answers that. It's also the last article I'm going to read about either show. I don't mind spoilers, honestly, I was excited to hear Sasha Banks would be in season 2 months before her episode aired and didn't mind the spoiler. But also I don't go out of my way to find them. I also find I enjoy shows and movies the less I follow the sausage-making process before I eat the sausage. After the fact? Let me in on all of that! The behind the scenes documentaries after season 1 were amazing! But I don't care beforehand. Trust the process.
    Kyno wrote: »
    Wadthebad wrote: »

The current beskar mando we see in game is season one (no spear), he doesnt even have the Crest on his armor.

Also he uses his pistol way more often than the spear. Spear ought to be a special move.

OR. or. ORRR. Hear me out, or: what if two basics?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Come on CG! Give us all what we want with dad bod Boba!

But seriously...tons of new toons to add from this season. Freaking awesome 😀
  • I prefer to think of that as "mature" or "distinguished" Boba, thank you.