The High Republic

Prev13
Nauros
5429 posts Member
So, it's finally here, at least the first few books. Is it going to be reflected in the game as well? On one hand, there are no characters from printed media so far, but on the other hand, Disney seems to be going big on HR so some cross-promotion would make sense. So, what do you think will happen?
Oh, and I didn't have time to dig into any of the novels yet, so please avoid unmarked spoilers.

Replies

• LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    edited January 2021
    Was going to post some characters but images too big. I could see them adding characters at some point but not now. Too many other directions they could go.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • dont think anyone really cares about the high republic stuff
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Was going to post some characters but images too big. I could see them adding characters at some point but not now. Too many other directions they could go.

Are there really? Once they are done with the last season of Mando, there isn't anything more current. Sure, there is the Armorer and presumably Mando tag with some effort to pull the faction together, but that will last a few months tops. There may well be work on HR content underway already.
  • TCS
    34 posts Member
    Lethoiun wrote: »
    dont think anyone really cares about the high republic stuff

I care, so there's at least one person out there that does. Presumably more.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    TCS wrote: »

I care, so there's at least one person out there that does. Presumably more.

I care as well, obviously. The question is whether CG does (or the Mouse makes them).
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    edited January 2021
    Nauros wrote: »

Are there really? Once they are done with the last season of Mando, there isn't anything more current. Sure, there is the Armorer and presumably Mando tag with some effort to pull the faction together, but that will last a few months tops. There may well be work on HR content underway already.

Will be dropping new GLs in a few months.
    Mandalorian Season 2 Content
    Bad Batch
    Andor
    Kenobi
    Droid Story
    Acolyte
    Lando
    Ahsoka
    Rangers of the Republic
    Book of Boba Fett

All those shows will have way more popularity than a book and comic books.

PS: We already have way more light side characters than dark anyway. ;)
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    I don’t know anything about it but it sounds exciting and having those characters in the game and trying to learn about a new era through SWGOH would be cool
  • I doubt it will spark a lot of interest. It was quite frustrating for me when KOTOR characters came out. I understand that the game is wildly popular among SWGOH players, so it made total sense, but it's really not as fun to farm for characters you don't know.
    I suspect the portion of players who will read the books is insignificant. It would make more sense to focus on characters in the movies and TV shows.
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    Acolyte

This will be about "dark forces" near the end of the High Republic, so maybe that's when we get stuff of this era.

• LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    KorAgaz wrote: »
    Acolyte

This will be about "dark forces" near the end of the High Republic, so maybe that's when we get stuff of this era.

True, but I want Sith not just "bad guys".
  • A bunch of middle-aged guys saying no one’s going to care about some YA novels?

I, for one, am shocked by the response.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • EdSolo
    410 posts Member
    While they pulled Thrawn in from Rebels, he originated from a novel and would not exist in Star Wars without the Zahn novels about him.
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    NicWester wrote: »
    A bunch of middle-aged guys saying no one’s going to care about some YA novels?

afaik High Republic is not limited to YA novels
  • iSRS
    11 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »

afaik High Republic is not limited to YA novels

You would be correct. Adult, YA, Middle School and Young Readers. Plus comics. dap9behsvt44.jpeg

• Cool idea 👍🏻
  • NicWester wrote: »

Eh, it seems like common sense that TV/movies are more popular than books in this day and age, so it makes... sense... to deduce that, relatively to a tv release, "noone" - emphasis on the quotes - is going to care about the novels (YA or otherwise).

• Nauros
    5429 posts Member

Bad Batch
    Andor
    Kenobi
    Droid Story
    Acolyte
    Lando
    Ahsoka
    Rangers of the Republic
    Book of Boba Fett

Those are all (apart from mando s2) further down the line, HR stuff is coming out literally right now. They could be done with a bunch of it before any of the things you listed (again, apart from Mando s2, obviously) even comes out. Jan - Feb Mando s2, Feb - Mar HR, Mar and further whatever new stuff comes first sounds like a plausible timeline to me.
    And yeah, character balance might be a problem. Jedi are already one of the most numerous factions, with very powerful leaders to boot, so designing any new ones will be tricky unless they go the JKL route and "ban" some subset. It could be interesting to see the new villains, though.
  • I'm surprised that characters aren't used in the game to promote the books/comics/video games/etc. I can't believe that having something like Aphra's murder droids in the game wouldn't increase interest in her comics/book.
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member

Bad Batch
    Andor
    Kenobi
    Droid Story
    Acolyte
    Lando
    Ahsoka
    Rangers of the Republic
    Book of Boba Fett

Those are all (apart from mando s2) further down the line, HR stuff is coming out literally right now. They could be done with a bunch of it before any of the things you listed (again, apart from Mando s2, obviously) even comes out. Jan - Feb Mando s2, Feb - Mar HR, Mar and further whatever new stuff comes first sounds like a plausible timeline to me.
    And yeah, character balance might be a problem. Jedi are already one of the most numerous factions, with very powerful leaders to boot, so designing any new ones will be tricky unless they go the JKL route and "ban" some subset. It could be interesting to see the new villains, though.

have you seen how slow CG works? Plus they do get info before the public so they can work on things early.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    EdSolo wrote: »
    While they pulled Thrawn in from Rebels, he originated from a novel and would not exist in Star Wars without the Zahn novels about him.

Those are some of the most popular Star Wars novels of all time though, and treasured by almost all legends fans. I think the popularity will depend entirely on how good this new era is. If these books create a powerful, exciting new era, then I think the books will soon turn into TV shows, then TV shows to movies, then major crossovers events. If these initial books are mediocre, the popularity will remain with the group of people who read the canon books, which includes me and, I’m guessing here, a small group of fans.
  • I doubt they'll pull anything solely from the books, but Acolyte is set at the end of the High Republic era, and there could be characters from the books that are still alive and end up appearing in that TV series. That's the most likely route for High Republic characters to end up crossing into this game.
  • Younger Yoda confirmed
  • Lethoiun wrote: »

No one cares about a bunch of kids TV shows but we got a ton of those toons.

Which characters do you speak of? Also you are very wrong
  • Vos_Landeck
    1666 posts Member
    edited January 2021
    EdSolo wrote: »

Yeah, but Thrawn had been a huge part of the expanded universe for over 25 years and was one of the most popular characters in the entire expanded universe. These High Republic books are following brand-new characters who have no following or fan base yet. Rebels was also 3-4 seasons in before they got any characters in this game.

Clone Wars has a ton of fans and Rebels was also a very popular show. Lots of people care about those shows. It's inaccurate to label them as "kids TV shows" just because they are animated. By that logic, Family Guy and South Park would be kids shows too, which obviously isn't the case.

The kids who watched those shows sure as hell care about them.

If you had your way there would only have been three movies and the fandom would be dead by now.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • A Jedi wookie
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Isn't Thrawn a very popular character from novels?
  • It is not if we care or not about new books about "new" era and characters. The problem is the precedent with the new movies.
    We already have loved characters from before the Galactic Republic (KOTOR for that matter).
    Sure, it was already well explained with Thrawn. For High Republic characters for swgoh. Lets wait for Acolyte and see then (when we finally have established designs and animations). This game can't design a new character like Brood Alpha for everything else.
    What i do care about is a good story, good characters, not having more of the known-from-books-and-games stories changed.
    What should be asked is not if we care or not, but if we have hope or not for good stories. I feel better for the tv series than books.
    Hopefully the books and comics will not be much tied one from the other, during the first phase. They may establish the new setting, new characters, the situations...
    Maybe when the current authors of High Republic publish their stories, they can follow up and connect charscters, likewise following newer authors.
    And i second. "Animated" is not the same as "for kids".
    I can only hope High Republic make references to Old Republic.
  • Gouj4
    416 posts Member

If you’re referring to clone wars and rebels then sir you could not be more wrong. Clone wars is up there with the best Star Wars content we have