Lucasfilms Games [MERGE]

Prev1
BeardedWonder
12 posts Member
edited January 2021
It’s the day we’ve all been waiting for.
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• The announcement today is a pretty sure sign Disney is showing EA the door.
  • You could join your fellow conspiracy theorists in the first thread ;)

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/240155/lucasfilm-games#latest
  • vincentlondon
    4527 posts Member
    edited January 2021
    The announcement today is a pretty sure sign Disney is showing EA the door.

Which announcement you talk about ?
    Edit: nvm i just click on above link
  • You could join your fellow conspiracy theorists in the first thread ;)

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/240155/lucasfilm-games#latest

I didn’t see the other post. I just wanted to write a post about the departure of EA on a EA forum.
  • it will be a glorius day when the exclusivity goes away. for all the corrupt actions the companies that held exclusivity pushed at us star wars fans they need to lose exclusivity and not be allowed to make some star wars games for at least 5years as punishment. maybe then a company like cg might treat us gamers with a little bit of respect and make an entertaining game.
  • it will be a glorius day when the exclusivity goes away.

Sorry to break it to you, I don't see that day arriving anytime soon.
    maybe then a company like cg might treat us gamers with a little bit of respect and make an entertaining game.

LOL, hahahah. sorry, did I snort out loud?
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • I could be wrong, but I believe EA has a contract through the end of 2022 with disney to publish SW games. But still, light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    As if the big mouse house will be any more merciful...
  • Why are you wishing that EA will lose the licence? If that happens, this game dies.
  • khdelboy wrote: »
    Why are you wishing that EA will lose the licence? If that happens, this game dies.

Maybe so. But if it is anything like Lucas Arts was, they put out far more and far better games.

Besides, CG is doing a pretty good job of running players away right now.

• We already know EA and CG are crap. But could this make the game sunset or no?
  • Lethoiun wrote: »
    We already know EA and CG are crap. But could this make the game sunset or no?

That would be up to disney. Lucasarts used studios to make games when it was under their umbrella. (Ex bioware to make kotor) so they could still use CG to continue this game.

Also, disney owns the rights so it may be possible for them to continue the game with another studio if they so choose. It probably would depend on th ed wording of the contract.

Even if they didn't continue this game, they could definitely make another star wars mobile game to replace it if they wanted.
  • Even if there is no more development it will take most of us another 5 years to relic 8 everything
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member
    Disney has no desire to make video games. Hence why they sold MSF immediately after acquiring it. They license their games, pure money without all the development work. Whether it remains with EA is a different story but it will not go back in house at Lucas.
  • khdelboy
    754 posts Member
    edited January 2021
    khdelboy wrote: »
    Why are you wishing that EA will lose the licence? If that happens, this game dies.

Maybe so. But if it is anything like Lucas Arts was, they put out far more and far better games.

Besides, CG is doing a pretty good job of running players away right now.

Disney does own the rights of their licences but they doesn’t own the program codes (Unless they put that in their contract.)

• khdelboy wrote: »

I think EA will lose the license to be the only studio to put out Star Wars games but I don’t think this game will die as a result. To me this announcement just means going forward LucasFilm Games will use multiple studios to put out Star Wars games like they used to. EA will still develop some and run ones they still have like this one but going forward they won’t have the exclusivity they’ve had since 2013.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Whatever happens, this game will probably stay under CG. The question is whether the whip over their heads will be held by EA with another, bigger whip over them held by the Mouse, or the Mouse directly.
  • khdelboy
    754 posts Member
    edited January 2021
    Ubisoft has announced that they will make a new Star Wars game, so it’s obvious that EA may have lost the licence.

It’s known that EA still have two years left on their contract.

So what does this mean for this game in two years’ time? Hopefully this will be a multi-developer deal, as Bethesda will do a new Indiana Jones game which also fall under the Lucasfilm Games banner.

Hopefully we get some clarification and SWGOH will carry on for longer and doesn’t cease when the EA contract with Disney expires.

Thoughts?
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • Don’t think it means anything yet.

https://www.wired.com/story/lucasfilm-games-star-wars-ubisoft-indiana-jones-bethesda/#intcid=_wired-homepage-right-rail_e466cc14-5f7c-4ffe-a6f9-82883bd5d2db_popular4-1

From the article:

While EA had previously suggested that the company would have exclusivity on Star Wars games for 10 years, it seems like either that was misstated or the clock has run out early. (Lucasfilm would not confirm for WIRED either way.) Regardless, EA will keep making games in the future, but Lucasfilm Games is free to seek other partners.

“EA has been and will continue to be a very strategic and important partner for us now and going forward,” Sean Shoptaw, senior vice president of Global Games and Interactive Experiences at Disney, told WIRED. “But we did feel like there's room for others.”
  • As long as this game is profitable, I don't see why release of any other game should mean anything for this one. They have seperate developer teams (except cg's rumored next project)
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Fingers crossed it changes hands.

Carrie says hi.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Yeah, I get that it's always easier to just go wild with theories rather than look into any facts or even discussion by people who report and discuss things in this field, but every change in the industry doesnt mean "anything" for the current state of things.

Everything out there for the future speculation from people who are informed and "know the industry" are talking about this widening happening to the IP of starwars. EA is very unlikely to lose anything other than exclusivity, which was going to happen anyway.

Current games and franchises will keep their home and projected lifespan, but more options will become available, over time.

Things will definitely be more interesting and possibly competitive, which is good for gamers, but nothing is just going to come to a hard end due to anything being stated or even started right now.
  • Fingers crossed it changes hands.

It won't change hands. Ip can, but games doesn't from the original developer studio. It shouldn't either. Cg made the only financially successful sw game on mobile, one which many other ips and developers followed suite.
  • Fingers crossed it changes hands.

You think Ubisoft is better than EA? :) I beg you reconsider. I have some experience with Ubisoft mobile games (MMHEOC in particular) and could say that SWGOH, with all flaws, is definitely better in long-term (and much-much more friendlier to ftp and light spenders).
  • Ubisoft is pretty much European EA so even if Ubisoft is getting full exclusive of Star Wars, I would expect they would be same as EA if not worse.

But since I’ve read more on this, it seems that Disney does not want any publisher to have full exculsivity to a franchise sounds positive.

Respawn as far I know, are still working on the sequel to Jedi Fallen Order.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    khdelboy wrote: »
    Ubisoft is pretty much European EA so even if Ubisoft is getting full exclusive of Star Wars, I would expect they would be same as EA if not worse.

But since I’ve read more on this, it seems that Disney does not want any publisher to have full exculsivity to a franchise sounds positive.

Respawn as far I know, are still working on the sequel to Jedi Fallen Order.

This.

It seems that LucusGames will become the psuedo EA in this new structure (psuedo because they dont seem to have plans on running their own studio at this time), and they will allow others to make games under their umbrella much like EA does for CG. But they also seem to have no issues letting the games that are working under EA keep working.
  • Hopefully in the short term this will lead to CG being a bit more on their toes when it comes to how they handle their player base and the game. Sort of like they did when they felt the initial pressure from that Marvel game. Worst case scenario is if they somehow feel pressured to squeeze out even more profits from the game if they fear the window for this game is closing.
    So if they start implement a lot of player requested features and being more transparent in their communication, that’s a good sign. If they drop more money grab events and packs it’s a sign of this game closing shop sooner than later.