The High Republic

13Next

Replies

• LordDunbar wrote: »
    DarthAsajj wrote: »
    I doubt it will spark a lot of interest. It was quite frustrating for me when KOTOR characters came out. I understand that the game is wildly popular among SWGOH players, so it made total sense, but it's really not as fun to farm for characters you don't know.
    I suspect the portion of players who will read the books is insignificant. It would make more sense to focus on characters in the movies and TV shows.
    @DarthAsajj
    So play the game and learn the characters?

KOTOR was one of the best games of all time. You can get it on mobile now for $9.99, no PC needed.

Graphics and mechanics are too old these days.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Daerovius wrote: »
    Please no... I don't want the game being infected by "Star Woke : The Karen Republic"....

On what basis are you calling THR woke / karen?

On what's been released and the authors own words? The so-called "writer" for the novel already said she was putting her woke garbage agenda in the book and threw a tantrum.... And seeing what she wrote before, don't expect any quality from THR...
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    Please no... I don't want the game being infected by "Star Woke : The Karen Republic"....

On what's been released and the authors own words? The so-called "writer" for the novel already said she was putting her woke garbage agenda in the book and threw a tantrum.... And seeing what she wrote before, don't expect any quality from THR...

Which writer?
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Oh, and if her “agenda” is why her books are bad to you, then you are the problem here.
  • Phoenixeon wrote: »
    LordDunbar wrote: »
    I doubt it will spark a lot of interest. It was quite frustrating for me when KOTOR characters came out. I understand that the game is wildly popular among SWGOH players, so it made total sense, but it's really not as fun to farm for characters you don't know.
    I suspect the portion of players who will read the books is insignificant. It would make more sense to focus on characters in the movies and TV shows.
    @DarthAsajj

KOTOR was one of the best games of all time. You can get it on mobile now for $9.99, no PC needed.

They are not too old to enjoy. Once you really get into the story, you'll reach a point when you forget about graphics & mechanics because the story is too awesome to not completely concentrate on it. It's just like a book... the deepness of the story matters, not the cover.
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator

Well I haven't read the book so idk if its woke or not, but you seem to be more familiar with it so maybe it is

But the high republic is not just one writer's work, there are many authors working on it and its being released in multiple mediums, so even if the first book is woke, doesn't mean the entire high republic will be
  • Daerovius wrote: »

Weird how there's absolutely nothing concrete in this statement...it's almost as if you don't have anything to back up your claim
  • CadoaBane wrote: »
    Phoenixeon wrote: »
    LordDunbar wrote: »
    @DarthAsajj

They are not too old to enjoy. Once you really get into the story, you'll reach a point when you forget about graphics & mechanics because the story is too awesome to not completely concentrate on it. It's just like a book... the deepness of the story matters, not the cover.

Yet the cover is too wet and stink prevent some of ppl to read it.
  • its nice to see other star wars fans aware of the demise of high republic and not buying into the garbage they agenda driven authors had in this venture. payback for devaluing star wars is something that takes time but eventually just like Ubisoft we star wars fans get our day to celebrate a valid pushback against a agenda that has no place in the star wars universe. we want the force not some agenda from our human realm. star wars is a galaxy far far away and some of these authors are trying to make it this world and galaxy when it is not and never will be

Well you're just the life of all your incel parties, aren't you?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Speaking of parties...guess I'm late to this one. Hope this isn't too off topic, but I'm curious about this "woke" word. I thought to "stay woke" was to be aware. Seems it has a bit of a deeper meaning...or maybe its just the context of this thread.

Can someone shed some light on this for a gen x-er? Also, what agenda is the author pushing?

Thanks!
  • el_mago wrote: »
    Can someone shed some light on this for a gen x-er? Also, what agenda is the author pushing?

Thanks!

I've got your back, I can explain. I was born in 1982, so I'm that bridge microgeneration between Gen-X and Milennial.

Anyhow, yes, you're right about "woke" meaning "aware." It's been slang for a long time, but was pretty localized so it's not like it was super widespread. But the rise of social media over the last decade means that localized slang gets more attention now and sometimes these words or phrases hit it big--woke was one of them. It meant being aware of racism, abuse of power, your own biases and the biases of others, and so on. So, like, if someone says something that's a dog whistle, staying woke meant not pretending it was just a simple misunderstanding or whatever. To be less controversial, here's an example--You're a parent, your kid takes the car for the night, you say not to drive to Santa Cruz (PURELY A RANDOM EXAMPLE THAT MOST CERTAINLY NEVER HAPPENED TO ME <_< ) and when your kid comes back after midnight and you ask what the beach was like and I say your kid says they were never there and they followed all the rules, if you're woke you don't buy their story because you know. If you're not woke, then you just accept it.

The word "woke" has fallen out of favor with people who ARE woke, largely being replaced by words like anti-racist or whatnot. This is because, to answer the deeper meaning portion of your question, the term got hijacked by people who refuse to accept it and they started using it as an insult--so they'd talk about "the woke mob" or whatever. They also started to use it to mean being aware of conspiracies, so "stay woke" to what's "really" going on. The term got muddied and didn't really help much, so we moved on and started saying other things. Now anyone on the left using "woke" is either being ironic, or they're a narc.

As to the agenda that is being "pushed," it's basically that diversity is good, that representation is good, and so on. In other words--the things that Star Wars has always been about (Notice how the Episode 4-6 Rebel Alliance has other species in it, while the Empire is all humans?).
  • NicWester wrote: »
    its nice to see other star wars fans aware of the demise of high republic and not buying into the garbage they agenda driven authors had in this venture. payback for devaluing star wars is something that takes time but eventually just like Ubisoft we star wars fans get our day to celebrate a valid pushback against a agenda that has no place in the star wars universe. we want the force not some agenda from our human realm. star wars is a galaxy far far away and some of these authors are trying to make it this world and galaxy when it is not and never will be

Wesa gungans know how to party okieday. Wesa know entertainment between propaganda and agendas that are of this world and not of the star wars universe. In the end it doesnt matter until they bring THR to a visual medium like TV or movie theatre. THR doesnt really exists to me and isnt considered canon imo until it hits that medium.
  • There are a dozen weird new Star Wars movies and TV shows on their way.

I'm not sure I care about any of them.

Time will tell!
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    NicWester wrote: »
    its nice to see other star wars fans aware of the demise of high republic and not buying into the garbage they agenda driven authors had in this venture. payback for devaluing star wars is something that takes time but eventually just like Ubisoft we star wars fans get our day to celebrate a valid pushback against a agenda that has no place in the star wars universe. we want the force not some agenda from our human realm. star wars is a galaxy far far away and some of these authors are trying to make it this world and galaxy when it is not and never will be

Wesa gungans know how to party okieday. Wesa know entertainment between propaganda and agendas that are of this world and not of the star wars universe. In the end it doesnt matter until they bring THR to a visual medium like TV or movie theatre. THR doesnt really exists to me and isnt considered canon imo until it hits that medium.

Stories, such as Star Wars, are mediums in which people knowingly and unknowingly include their beliefs and opinions. Every movie you’ve ever seen is stuffed with messages that may have affected you without you realizing it. That’s just the way the world is.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited January 2021
    NicWester wrote: »

Wesa know entertainment between propaganda and agendas that are of this world and not of the star wars universe. In the end it doesnt matter until they bring THR to a visual medium like TV or movie theatre. THR doesnt really exists to me and isnt considered canon imo until it hits that medium.

I mean......... If you don't see any politics, just pure entertainment, in the original trilogy then I don't know what to tell you. Earlier someone said "not everyone" can turn their brain off, but evidently you never turned yours on in the first place...

And whether they exist to you or not, they're canon.