Returning player looking for advice

Hey guys, I've recently just returned to the game and finished the grind for Vader but I'm finding it difficult to progress through the game as I feel my teams aren't as strong as the could be so it leaves me feeling like I'm just aimlessly playing the game at this stage. I was wondering if I could get some advice on which characters I should be grinding out in order to progress further and to build stronger teams. I'll leave a link to my roster if anyone is curious. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• byrnec98 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've recently just returned to the game and finished the grind for Vader but I'm finding it difficult to progress through the game as I feel my teams aren't as strong as the could be so it leaves me feeling like I'm just aimlessly playing the game at this stage. I was wondering if I could get some advice on which characters I should be grinding out in order to progress further and to build stronger teams. I'll leave a link to my roster if anyone is curious. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Don't worry. I felt the same. Best we can do is console you. But it would defo help to have a .gg link.
    My discord - BabyYoda#4470 My swgoh.gg - https://swgoh.gg/p/648565123/
  • byrnec98
    6 posts Member
    edited January 2021
    Oh sorry I completely forgot about it. https://swgoh.gg/p/298294355/. There it is now.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't know how to reply directly since I'm new to this

Don't worry. I felt the same. Best we can do is console you. But it would defo help to have a .gg link.

Oh sorry I completely forgot about it. https://swgoh.gg/p/298294355/. There it is now.
    byrnec98 wrote: »

Ok. Will look at it.
  • I now have some ideas for many paths you could take at this stage, but I don't know what your Star Wars passions are and whether you have any goals. So, do you have any preferences for what you do and don't want to focus on @byrnec98
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    start over. this is not mean advice, btw
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Helpful as it may be intended, also consider the experience level of those giving you advice before following it.
    Search the forums for similar questions and there are some YouTube guides to suggest farming paths
  • I now have some ideas for many paths you could take at this stage, but I don't know what your Star Wars passions are and whether you have any goals. So, do you have any preferences for what you do and don't want to focus on @byrnec98

Originally I wanted to grind out for an Empire team, but now I think I'm gonna grind the rest of my Phoenix Squad in order to get Palpatine
  • Helpful as it may be intended, also consider the experience level of those giving you advice before following it.
    Search the forums for similar questions and there are some YouTube guides to suggest farming paths

I've been looking at YouTube as well and a lot of people recommend grinding out Phoenix Squad so I'm gonna grind out the ones I have and work on others I don't have yet

Also consider the knowledge of those giving advice. E.g. I used to play ~1 year post launch, then stopped, then restarted, and have an alt. So experience on .gg may not show everything.
  • Ok, so you want(ed) to have an Empire squad, I can definitely help with that.

I can recommend some good Empire squads, and the path to them. Empire squads are best with Palp, Vader, Thrawn, +2. You can use Empire and/or Sith under Palp and Vader Lead, so those are recommended.

Currently, I agree farming and getting your Phoenix to g8/9 would be good to get EP and Thrawn. You will get Vader to 6* in < 1 year with no effort due to achievements, but he is in the Fleet Store to speed up the grind to 7* (I only purchased his shards from the Fleet Store ~5 times and the rest came from achievements and Vader 7* after ~/<1 year.

I'd recommend zEP Lead, zzVader, Thrawn, Bastila Shan (Fallen), +1. If need-be you could use Shoretrooper for a Tank, or zIPD for a AOE dispel/target lock/buff immunity.

However, I would recommend getting a fast-farm 5th Empire unit to lead you to R2-D2 and in-turn CLS (Commander Luke Skywalker).

So, my recommendation is farm a Phoenix team to 7*, g8/9, lvl 80 (82 for Chopper) and max their uniques + Zeb's basic and complete Thrawn's and Palpatine's events. Then, farm your Empire team for arena with BSF and zIPD / Shoretrooper. Get 1 more Empire unit for R2, then farm the other Reqs. (Old Ben, ST Han, P Leia, FB Luke) for CLS. I do know that IPD needs an Imperial Trooper team (a very good team indeed) and is a TB character so if you can, side farming an Imperial Trooper team of Veers Lead, Piett, Starck, Death Trooper/Range Trooper/Snow Trooper/Shore Trooper (recommended Range, Shore for PvE and Snow, Death for PvP) to help your guild get IPD shards. However, this trip can leave you at a loss in ships, which for an f2p is an important source for crystal income. So, I recommend also side-farming Geo fleet members (Soldier, Spy, and Sun Fac) to help you. If you like my idea, I can make you a farming guide.

Also consider the knowledge of those giving advice. E.g. I used to play ~1 year post launch, then stopped, then restarted, and have an alt. So experience on .gg may not show everything.

K
  • @TheChild_eats_eggs1 has provided excellent post.

He’s essentially given you the fast track method for leveling up. Take it as Gospel and then you can go from there whichever way you want next- bounties, Geos, etc.
  • One edit I’d suggest- IPD can be really hard to get as an early player unless you are in an elite level guild. I would recommend Kyllo unmasked/nor instead - they are a lot easier for you to pick up as a free to play. You will also need them later to build other teams.
  • *or Count Duuku
  • I know IPD is long farm, as I addressed, but I get at least 10 shards a TB in a non-elite lvl guild.
  • @Reo_Speedwagon & @TheChild_eats_eggs1 would you recommend KRU over TFP or Tarkin in an EP, Vader, Thrawn squad? I've been using those 5 imperials but also have a 7* KRU now from farming that I could sub in (likely for TFP as he's my lowest geared of the 5).
  • @Reo_Speedwagon & @TheChild_eats_eggs1 would you recommend KRU over TFP or Tarkin in an EP, Vader, Thrawn squad? I've been using those 5 imperials but also have a 7* KRU now from farming that I could sub in (likely for TFP as he's my lowest geared of the 5).

Well it depends how you are doing in Arena. Firstly, do you now have MM zeta? If so, under EP L, you will want your Vader to go 1st. In arena, I find Empire a 'low banner' win (ofc no banners in Squad Arena, but there are in GAC). EP, Vader, and Thrawn survive and you can max health on Vader and EP through Sith Health Steal. If you want Vader to go 1st, you want more Empire/Sith units. As soon as you get Palp L zeta, TFP does even more. His buff immunity and tenacity down expiring are helpful for TM gain, giving Vader (and your other toons) more turns. BSF helps if you are thinking of going for DR or have less than 5 farms currently going on normal energy hard nodes.

However, if you want a tank because you find that your toons are dying way too quickly and you aren't getting a chance to completely destroy the enemy, a tank is helpful. Here, shore trooper can come and do both jobs, OR KRU can come and do this job. So, if you need a tank, at your stage with HDB shore trooper is farmable so I would get him. If that isn't possible, use KRU if need-be.

Well it depends how you are doing in Arena. Firstly, do you now have MM zeta? If so, under EP L, you will want your Vader to go 1st. In arena, I find Empire a 'low banner' win (ofc no banners in Squad Arena, but there are in GAC). EP, Vader, and Thrawn survive and you can max health on Vader and EP through Sith Health Steal. If you want Vader to go 1st, you want more Empire/Sith units. As soon as you get Palp L zeta, TFP does even more. His buff immunity and tenacity down expiring are helpful for TM gain, giving Vader (and your other toons) more turns. BSF helps if you are thinking of going for DR or have less than 5 farms currently going on normal energy hard nodes.

However, if you want a tank because you find that your toons are dying way too quickly and you aren't getting a chance to completely destroy the enemy, a tank is helpful. Here, shore trooper can come and do both jobs, OR KRU can come and do this job. So, if you need a tank, at your stage with HDB shore trooper is farmable so I would get him. If that isn't possible, use KRU if need-be.

Yeah I have Vader with 1 zeta, about a week away from getting EP zeta on leader. In Arena I was maxing out around 65 each day but today managed to take #50 with less than a minute remaining before payout, so that was nice. I put in Shore for the last battle and managed to pull it off.

Most of the teams ahead of me seem to be Bastilla or JKR led teams, or ones with 2-3 zetas so becoming pretty tough. Have to really check stats before engaging to make sure my Vader can at least go first.

I think I will add Shore into my farming now, but right now my hard node farms are: Bastilla (light),
    HT/Jango,Bossk, Sabine, Jolee.

I think for the time being I might remove Jolee and put both Shore and BSF. I need to finish normal Bastilla (70 shards away from 7*) so I can complete GMY, and out the rest of JKR farms on hold to strengthen my empire / sith team while continuing to focus on fleet.

Should also have all characters needed for CLS by end of next week (only Leia remains), then will have to fear them a bit.

Yeah I have Vader with 1 zeta, about a week away from getting EP zeta on leader. In Arena I was maxing out around 65 each day but today managed to take #50 with less than a minute remaining before payout, so that was nice. I put in Shore for the last battle and managed to pull it off.

Most of the teams ahead of me seem to be Bastilla or JKR led teams, or ones with 2-3 zetas so becoming pretty tough. Have to really check stats before engaging to make sure my Vader can at least go first.

I think I will add Shore into my farming now, but right now my hard node farms are: Bastilla (light),
    HT/Jango,Bossk, Sabine, Jolee.

I think for the time being I might remove Jolee and put both Shore and BSF. I need to finish normal Bastilla (70 shards away from 7*) so I can complete GMY, and out the rest of JKR farms on hold to strengthen my empire / sith team while continuing to focus on fleet.

Should also have all characters needed for CLS by end of next week (only Leia remains), then will have to fear them a bit.

Ok. Well, send a pic of some of the JKR / Bastila teams or others that you see. We can then give better advice.

• Ok. Well, send a pic of some of the JKR / Bastila teams or others that you see. We can then give better advice.

In general these are the types of teams I usually go up against

1i40qrkfssxa.jpeg

#46: bastilla lead with zGMY. With non-zeta **** I can normally win depending on the speed of GMY. If he gets off his tenacity up buff before I go then it’ll over. Normally try to focus on defeating GMY first with fracture on JKA so he can’t counter.

#44; bastilla zeta lead with tanks. This one usually defeats me especially if there are 2x Jedi tanks. Not sure how to handle.

#48: JKR lead, no idea how to counter this setup yet.

Mostly it’s a variety of bastilla leads with varying zetas, mostly either **** or GMY but sometimes on Jolee

I mainly check to make sure my Vader will have first turn otherwise choose a diff opponent. But with protection uo buffs to start my culling blade doesn’t do as much destruction.

• Ok. Well, send a pic of some of the JKR / Bastila teams or others that you see. We can then give better advice.

1i40qrkfssxa.jpeg

#46: bastilla lead with zGMY. With non-zeta **** I can normally win depending on the speed of GMY. If he gets off his tenacity up buff before I go then it’ll over. Normally try to focus on defeating GMY first with fracture on JKA so he can’t counter.

#44; bastilla zeta lead with tanks. This one usually defeats me especially if there are 2x Jedi tanks. Not sure how to handle.

Mostly it’s a variety of bastilla leads with varying zetas, mostly either **** or GMY but sometimes on Jolee

I mainly check to make sure my Vader will have first turn otherwise choose a diff opponent. But with protection uo buffs to start my culling blade doesn’t do as much destruction.

#46 Your Vader should almost always go 1st with all that speed from No Escape. Slice that arrow to 6dot for the extra speed, and roll all mods with speed.

#44 As your not going to land the debuffs, I usually start with MM, Basic everyone, then Fracture an enemy. If you have enough offense, try to wack off protection and then force crush them and do the usual MM.

#48 I was told Empire don't counter JKR L.
  • Intimmydation
    680 posts Member
    edited February 2021

Ok. Well, send a pic of some of the JKR / Bastila teams or others that you see. We can then give better advice.

1i40qrkfssxa.jpeg

#46 Your Vader should almost always go 1st with all that speed from No Escape. Slice that arrow to 6dot for the extra speed, and roll all mods with speed.

#44 As your not going to land the debuffs, I usually start with MM, Basic everyone, then Fracture an enemy. If you have enough offense, try to wack off protection and then force crush them and do the usual MM.

Just beat a zJKR-L, zGMY, zJolee, Bastilla, JKA team to get #20 in my shard with my zPalp-L, zVader, Thrawn, Tarkin, TFP. I have 1x g12, 2x g11 vs their 3x g12 and still won. Maybe some good RNG on my side.

Focused on killing JKR x2 using fracture, endured brutal counters by JKA, then quickly finished off JKA while Jolee was ability blocked, then the rest.

This will open up more opportunities to climb higher, depending how far I get bumped down before tomorrow.

And just beat a zJKR relic 5 team! really need to get my other guys up to at least g12.
    Post edited by Intimmydation on

1i40qrkfssxa.jpeg

Just beat a zJKR-L, zGMY, zJolee, Bastilla, JKA team to get #20 in my shard with my zPalp-L, zVader, Thrawn, Tarkin, TFP. I have 1x g12, 2x g11 vs their 3x g12 and still won. Maybe some good RNG on my side.

Focused on killing JKR x2 using fracture, endured brutal counters by JKA, then quickly finished off JKA while Jolee was ability blocked, then the rest.

This will open up more opportunities to climb higher, depending how far I get bumped down before tomorrow.

And just beat a zJKR relic 5 team! really need to get my other guys up to at least g12.

Well done. Wow, ur ahead of me now. My bastila is direct countered by JKR as the tm boost is nullified and other than g12 zVader, my Empire are g8.
  • Ok, so you want(ed) to have an Empire squad, I can definitely help with that.

I can recommend some good Empire squads, and the path to them. Empire squads are best with Palp, Vader, Thrawn, +2. You can use Empire and/or Sith under Palp and Vader Lead, so those are recommended.

Currently, I agree farming and getting your Phoenix to g8/9 would be good to get EP and Thrawn. You will get Vader to 6* in < 1 year with no effort due to achievements, but he is in the Fleet Store to speed up the grind to 7* (I only purchased his shards from the Fleet Store ~5 times and the rest came from achievements and Vader 7* after ~/<1 year.

I'd recommend zEP Lead, zzVader, Thrawn, Bastila Shan (Fallen), +1. If need-be you could use Shoretrooper for a Tank, or zIPD for a AOE dispel/target lock/buff immunity.

However, I would recommend getting a fast-farm 5th Empire unit to lead you to R2-D2 and in-turn CLS (Commander Luke Skywalker).

So, my recommendation is farm a Phoenix team to 7*, g8/9, lvl 80 (82 for Chopper) and max their uniques + Zeb's basic and complete Thrawn's and Palpatine's events. Then, farm your Empire team for arena with BSF and zIPD / Shoretrooper. Get 1 more Empire unit for R2, then farm the other Reqs. (Old Ben, ST Han, P Leia, FB Luke) for CLS. I do know that IPD needs an Imperial Trooper team (a very good team indeed) and is a TB character so if you can, side farming an Imperial Trooper team of Veers Lead, Piett, Starck, Death Trooper/Range Trooper/Snow Trooper/Shore Trooper (recommended Range, Shore for PvE and Snow, Death for PvP) to help your guild get IPD shards. However, this trip can leave you at a loss in ships, which for an f2p is an important source for crystal income. So, I recommend also side-farming Geo fleet members (Soldier, Spy, and Sun Fac) to help you. If you like my idea, I can make you a farming guide.

Hi sorry, I've been away from the forums and am only seeing this now! Since then I have gotten all of my Phoenix Squad to 6*/level 60 and gear ranging from V to VII. I am only player lvl 62 so I'm trying to grind out getting to lvl 80 in order to get better gear at a faster rate in order to improve their gear and grind out their abilities. I'm going to work towards my Thrawn and Palpatine in order to improve my Empire team to get CSL. I really like your idea and if you don't mind I would appreciate a farming guide if you ever get the chance.
    Ok, so you want(ed) to have an Empire squad, I can definitely help with that.

Hi sorry, I've been away from the forums and am only seeing this now! Since then I have gotten all of my Phoenix Squad to 6*/level 60 and gear ranging from V to VII. I am only player lvl 62 so I'm trying to grind out getting to lvl 80 in order to get better gear at a faster rate in order to improve their gear and grind out their abilities. I'm going to work towards my Thrawn and Palpatine in order to improve my Empire team to get CSL. I really like your idea and if you don't mind I would appreciate a farming guide if you ever get the chance.

Okay. I'm busy now, so I will help when I can.
    Ok, so you want(ed) to have an Empire squad, I can definitely help with that.

Okay. I'm busy now, so I will help when I can.

That's no worries! I need to focus on getting more credits cause I'm burning through them so I'll be focused on that for a bit. Thank you.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    @byrnec98 A few words about ships:

If you can reach top-500 in fleet arena you will win more currency fort the fleet shop. The next milestones are top-200 (more fleet currency) and top-50 (crystals).

Don't spend resources on Endurance yet. For now focus on ships you use in fleet arena or which are required for the zeta ability mats challenge. You will need Executrix for that challenge along with 8 non-capital ships - all at 5*. To get Executrix to the required 5* you will ned 5 darkside non-capital ships at 4* (or was it 5*?).