We need new Metas!

Prev134567
It's high time for some brand new power creep!

The best toon in the game is almost a year old, and the Arena meta needs an injection. Mando was a let down in terms of power, so we need some apex meta teams, hopefully in the form of two new GLs.

The new ones really need to outclass the old ones, though. Rey and SLK should not be able to roll over whatever is coming, although I believe JML and SEEP should be able to beat them.

For fleets, GK has been the best fleet for two years now? Please give us a new meta fleet that dominates again.

I know some players hate power creep but a game like this needs it to stay relevant and should always have a strong carrot on a stick.

Also, I hope you guys are upfront in the need for GET1+2 for new meta toons.

Do you agree?

Replies

• Not saying I don’t want a new meta, but I don’t know how you can claim there is any one fleet meta or arena meta right now.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Not saying I don’t want a new meta, but I don’t know how you can claim there is any one fleet meta or arena meta right now.

This.

Personally I think we are in a phase of "what people have asked for" with no meta chase for the next thing driving every thought in game.

I also dont see any of the mando toons released as a let down, they have a place and you get the feeling more is coming, they seem to be laying a solid base, which I think they have done.
  • With the arrival of GLs I think CG was trying to shake up arenas. I highly doubt they will go above the power of the other GLs in the future.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Literally you all been asking for rock paper scissors for the arena, CG gave us rock paper scissors, where we got 4 teams now capable of beating the other team and the arena is diverse now, now you all gonna start crying about how it's too much work to climb to the top of the arena now?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    LordDirt wrote: »
    With the arrival of GLs I think CG was trying to shake up arenas. I highly doubt they will go above the power of the other GLs in the future.

I would agree with that.

As we move forward we may see support toons and other things that they know will play better with one over the other allowing for one to be slightly more dominant than another. I would expect the scales to shift and change, but not likely reach an overwhelming push for any particular one.

Much like we had right now, the new GLs took a piece of the pie, and shifted things around, but didnt drive out the past meta in an overly dominating way.
  • I don't see "metas" as a thing anymore thanks to the introduction of GLs. I would think it would take something more powerful than a GL (and I don't think many really want that). GLs are starting to open the door to the rock paper scissor meta everyone has been asking for for a while. Just my take
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Literally you all been asking for rock paper scissors for the arena, CG gave us rock paper scissors, where we got 4 teams now capable of beating the other team and the arena is diverse now, now you all gonna start crying about how it's too much work to climb to the top of the arena now?

I never asked for RPS, don't want it, never wanted it.

I agree with OP. I want a new GL meta and a new fleet meta. I'd rather not spend my whole day climbing.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Not saying I don’t want a new meta, but I don’t know how you can claim there is any one fleet meta or arena meta right now.

This.

Personally I think we are in a phase of "what people have asked for" with no meta chase for the next thing driving every thought in game.

I also dont see any of the mando toons released as a let down, they have a place and you get the feeling more is coming, they seem to be laying a solid base, which I think they have done.

Sometimes when people ask for things such as "the no meta chase", they are speaking for a portion of players but not everyone. I wanted to come here and offer an opposite opinion. I understand why players dislike one meta above all, but it has made arena a nightmare and its not something I enjoy.

As for the mando toons, MG and armorer are very good plug and play toons. I was more refering to the Beskar team which is a heroes journey toon. It currently occupies an odd space. It gets absolutely dominated(max banners) by several old teams, making it really only an offensive team. On offense, it still offers few uses in high level play. I think most expected to counter an old GL or something, not just GG.

• raybron99 wrote: »

The best toon in the game is almost a year old, and the Arena meta needs an injection. Mando was a let down in terms of power, so we need some apex meta teams, hopefully in the form of two new GLs.

The new ones really need to outclass the old ones, though. Rey and SLK should not be able to roll over whatever is coming, although I believe JML and SEEP should be able to beat them.

For fleets, GK has been the best fleet for two years now? Please give us a new meta fleet that dominates again.

I know some players hate power creep but a game like this needs it to stay relevant and should always have a strong carrot on a stick.

Do you agree?

No. Rock-Paper-Scissors is significantly better and a clear sign that CG is shifting Arena's role in the game. Also GK is not the best fleet. My Malevolence at 5* was wiping 7* GK fleets. Maybe you can say he's the best on defense in arena (though no one seems to really struggle climbing with Malevolence and GKs drop just as Malevolence does) but that's not the same as being the best period.

Power creep has a ceiling which gives a game an expiration date. So I would very much disagree with that viewpoint. Others have made the other points I would have said about the GLs so won't bother repeating it though :grin:
  • TVF wrote: »
    Literally you all been asking for rock paper scissors for the arena, CG gave us rock paper scissors, where we got 4 teams now capable of beating the other team and the arena is diverse now, now you all gonna start crying about how it's too much work to climb to the top of the arena now?

I agree with OP. I want a new GL meta and a new fleet meta. I'd rather not spend my whole day climbing.

Good thing you don't represent the entire player base.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    raybron99 wrote: »

Do you agree?

No. Rock-Paper-Scissors is significantly better and a clear sign that CG is shifting Arena's role in the game. Also GK is not the best fleet. My Malevolence at 5* was wiping 7* GK fleets. Maybe you can say he's the best on defense in arena (though no one seems to really struggle climbing with Malevolence and GKs drop just as Malevolence does) but that's not the same as being the best period.

Power creep has a ceiling which gives a game an expiration date. So I would very much disagree with that viewpoint. Others have made the other points I would have said about the GLs so won't bother repeating it though :grin:

wi1m8w0s4wo7.gif

No ceiling, but watch out for those windows.
  • Literally you all been asking for rock paper scissors for the arena, CG gave us rock paper scissors, where we got 4 teams now capable of beating the other team and the arena is diverse now, now you all gonna start crying about how it's too much work to climb to the top of the arena now?

Certain people were asking for that, I was not one of them. I am here to show there are other opinions out there that need to be heard.

And yes, dropping to 40 every day regardless of how much better my mods are than the rest of my shard is dumb. Its also very time consuming, and theres 0 strategy other than hitting auto after I select my team.

Do you agree?

GK is the best fleet by most metrics. Yes, it can lose to its 5 star counter. He is the best on arena defense/offense, TW defense/offense, GAC defense/offense, and TB for the much harder TB. Simply losing to its hard counter hardly means its not the best.
  • New fleet meta would be great. 5 star Negotiator or Malevolance are enough to defeat both 7 star versions. The fights have become quite boring.

Certain people were asking for that, I was not one of them. I am here to show there are other opinions out there that need to be heard.

And yes, dropping to 40 every day regardless of how much better my mods are than the rest of my shard is dumb. Its also very time consuming, and theres 0 strategy other than hitting auto after I select my team.

Want to be the best, then gotta put in the time,
    You know what's boring though? Traya vs traya, Revan vs Revan, darth revan vs darth revan, gas vs gas, you know what's not boring? Fighting 4 different teams everyday to climb
  • Starslayer
    2413 posts Member
    edited February 2021
    TVF wrote: »

Seconded. RPS may be the most boring game ever (remember Rey/Kylo Tier 3 ?), toe to toe with coin flip.

A diverse meta (which I enjoy) is not necessarely a RPS meta (where you put the right team and press auto).
  • Kyno wrote: »

Hopefully more is coming because I don't find them a place right now. You don't need the Beskar family for events, nor for Arena, nor for Raids. Gearing them mean you don't gear prerequisites for GL you don't have instead, and it will hurt you in GAC imo. So until you have all 4 GLs, they don't have a place in GAC neither.

• ccabezas93
    30 posts Member
    edited February 2021

You know what's boring though? Traya vs traya, Revan vs Revan, darth revan vs darth revan, gas vs gas, you know what's not boring? Fighting 4 different teams everyday to climb

Yeah but before, at most you need a refresh of the 5 attempts to go 1, now you have to spend practically 2 hours straight (or even more) hoping nobody hit you back and sometimes 2 refresh of the attempts.

• I dunno.... there are 4 GLs that, when set up correctly, can beat the other 4.
    There's a few counters to all the GLs.
    There are plenty of teams to work on.... plus, I don't have all the Mando toons, but they definitely have a place in the game, albeit not necessarily a GL counter.... yet... let's see what comes.
    Fleet, I can sort of agree... but having just 7 starred my Raddus & Finalizer... they are soft counters to some if the meta fleets out there.
    I agree, we need an extra ship for both Resistance & First Order to make them more reliable.... but Malevolence, Negotiator & Rebel fleets, when put together correctly, can beat anything.

There are maybe issues here & there... but I'm definitely not pushing for 2 more GLs and a massive fleet overhaul... I'd like to see choice additions to further balance gameplay & maybe strengthen (or revitalise) teams.
    Power creep is not what I'd ask for.... I'd want selective improvements & additions to make it less paper/rock/scissors... but add more variety to viable counters & teams.
    In addition, considering the massive investment of time & resources (and in some cases moots of money)... I wouldn't want to devalue the current GLs by 'adding power creep'.
    I understand why players dislike one meta above all, but it has made arena a nightmare and its not something I enjoy.
    Sometimes [...] people [...] are speaking for a portion of players but not everyone.
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn

If OP asks for his opinion, why do you have a problem when someone gives their’s?
  • Oh goodness. Can we hold off on more GL’s for a bit? Exhausting.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    No, we don't need new character meta, we need to shift focus away from arena to something that utilizes more of our rosters. In a mode like arena where only one team matters, you either get constantly evolving meta or long-term sustainability, not both. GAC is a good candidate for new focus if the rewards were better and included crystals, and so is the upcoming Conquest on the PvE side. All in all, it would need a rather drastic change to the economy.
    Fleet meta is a whole different can of worms...
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member

Well yeah no kidding. The majority of the player base can't hang in the top 20 for new metas, while I can, which is the whole reason I want a new meta.

What time is needed? The current GL vs GL is an auto fest. I would like to see the top meta teams beatable, but by good players who can execute a counter and have good mods. Right now, you just go in and hit auto.

All of the teams you mentioned mirrors on, were beatable by the previous meta. I am saying I prefer that state of the game where every six months or so we got a very powerful team that gave us something to strive for.

Going all in for SEEP for example felt pretty hollow as you couldn't use him for arena and he got rolled over in GAC by troopers. I think thats a bad direction for the game, and you are free to disagree.

• TVF
    36524 posts Member

If OP asks for his opinion, why do you have a problem when someone gives their’s?

Either because they are scared of a new meta (and probably should be) or because I'm the one that posted it.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »
    GAC is a good candidate for new focus if the rewards were better and included crystals

You must love the matchmaking threads then because you'd get 1000x more.

Oh why am I not surprised one bit by this response.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member

What time is needed? The current GL vs GL is an auto fest. I would like to see the top meta teams beatable, but by good players who can execute a counter and have good mods. Right now, you just go in and hit auto.

All of the teams you mentioned mirrors on, were beatable by the previous meta. I am saying I prefer that state of the game where every six months or so we got a very powerful team that gave us something to strive for.

Going all in for SEEP for example felt pretty hollow as you couldn't use him for arena and he got rolled over in GAC by troopers. I think thats a bad direction for the game, and you are free to disagree.

Then why do I see people in arena with SEE? At the top, I mean.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you