Cara Dune

Replies

• TVF
    36524 posts Member
    The official statement from Lucasfilm can be easily read that way too.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member
    edited February 2021
    To get back to the original post, ignoring the debate about Gina Carano's posts ...

They can easily recast the part if they want to. Gina Carano might be gone from Disney but Cara Dune is not gone from Star Wars. No reason to remove her from the game.
  • Stenun wrote: »
    To get back to the original post, ignoring the debate about Gina Carano's posts ...

They can easily recast the part if they want to.

Recasting a character is a very, very rare thing in an ongoing series. Maybe we'll see her sister or something, but Cara Dune, it doesn't seem likely.

• Interesting.

Wonkette (blog, not straight news reporting so expect them to take sides), is reporting that Carano was not even fired. The show was between seasons and LucasFilm simply announced that they weren't going to hire her for Season 3. It appears that despite their own headline, the essential fact that Carano was between contracts comes originally from this story by the Hollywood Reporter.

From the tone of that story, it seems unlikely that Carano would have been back for Season 3 even without this most recent instagram post. Possible, but unlikely.

This is exactly how I interpreted their statement. They never said they fired her. They said she isn't an employee. They've distanced themselves from her for a while now.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited February 2021
    Starslayer wrote: »
    Stenun wrote: »

Recasting a character is a very, very rare thing in an ongoing series.

Yeah....no.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/tv/g29822724/actors-replaced-recast-tv/

Game of Thrones has 11 recast actors on that list alone.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Starslayer wrote: »
    Stenun wrote: »

Recasting a character is a very, very rare thing in an ongoing series.

Yeah....no.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/tv/g29822724/actors-replaced-recast-tv/

Game of Thrones has 11 recast actors on that list alone.

The first name of the list is a bad example, as it is a different character, and there are a good chunk of children, changes from pilot and characters wearing so much make up they can't be recognized. But still, there are indeed quite a few left in good faith. Thanks, I stand corrected ! I'll change my "very, very rare" to a mere "rare" ^^ Maybe that's why I can't remember any supporting character in GoT Oo
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    They aren't recasting lol. They don't want anyone to even think about her. She's not The Mandolorian. Not needed at all.
  • TVF wrote: »
    They aren't recasting lol. They don't want anyone to even think about her. She's not The Mandolorian. Not needed at all.

The Mandalorian isn't even need in his own show. :D
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Concur that she's not needed.

Granted I liked the character & the whole concept of elite drop troops opened up some interesting possibilities that I would have enjoyed seeing explored, but no. Not necessary as a character. I can't think of why they would recast her when they could come up with a million other ways for Mando to have another militarily-accomplished friend if needed. Another mandalorian, another assassin, a body guard for someone who gets offed despite their best efforts and is no traveling in the same direction as Mando... He could even go back looking for Cara and not find her & then turn to hunting down her old friends from her Rebel Army days & hook up with another drop soldier.

Fun & interesting Cara might have been, but she's not remotely necessary. Why bother with recasting?
  • They seemed to had plans for a "Rangers of the New Republic" show. Wild guess: it was built with her in mind, a female Chuck Norris kicking butt in Tex..in a galaxy far, far away, maybe with Timothy at her side, back as a Country Cop as he used to be. I guess someone will be happy to get a leading role that she/he didn't see coming Oo
  • TLDR; My two cents, a new actress will be cast, or the hero artwork will be made generic looking, or both.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    edited February 2021
    They aren't going to touch the toon and they will simply drop the character.

Since she wasn't an already existing character in lore, that's probably the case.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*

So generic toon?
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

So generic toon?

No, Cara Dune.
  • Right but was wondering if they'd rename her, like Sith Trooper etc..

So generic toon?

Cara Dune, the generic toon.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Right but was wondering if they'd rename her, like Sith Trooper etc..

Right, and the answer is no.
    Right but was wondering if they'd rename her, like Sith Trooper etc..

Right, and the answer is no.

I don't think that they will touch this character again. CWC and SET both renamed when newer similar characters were introduced, I think they will bury her in a Dune never to be mentioned.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    They all say they want a strong female, until they meet one and want to cancel her, she basically got lynched by the Twitter mob that doesn't actually have disney plus, and said they would cancel their none existing disney plus subscription if she was left in the Mandalorian, well guess what I had disney plus but not anymore.
    You’re entitled to do whatever you feel is right, but I have to question anyone that (claims they) will cancel Disney + because Disney are severing ties with someone who has:

- mocked the trans community
    - liked posts that denigrates the BLM campaign
    - Compared being a republican with being a **** in the Holocaust.

It is possible to be a strong female without being intolerant and offensive to minorities / the victims of genocide.

But, in case you get uppity, you are of course entitled to your opinion.
    Mocking the pronoun thing isn’t necessarily mocking the trans community. Imo
    What denigrated the BLM movement?
    If comparing republicans to holocaust victims (sorta) is wrong I hope no democrats work for Disney lol

Rtt: I did get a chuckle out of this being Disney making up for its anti-Semitic past, so this thread isn’t a complete dumpster fire...
    Maybe End Game isn't for you

I liked the character, but didn't really see a need to recast at first when they could just create a new character and refer to Cara Dune in passing without showing her. That'd also serve the purpose of expanding the number of characters in the Star Wars world.

But it looks like they had plans for the character before all of this started, including that Rangers show. (Which, honestly, makes the situation even more eye-rolly. Imagine being told "Hey, we have big plans, maybe lay off the anti-semitism publicly, at least, I mean... We don't want people looking at Walt Disney's views if we don't have to" saying okay, then DOUBLING DOWN ON IT. Good job, Gina. It's nice to know she doesn't do the racism for the money...) So a recast might be needed if they want to keep that plan in place.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Gifafi wrote: »
    They all say they want a strong female, until they meet one and want to cancel her, she basically got lynched by the Twitter mob that doesn't actually have disney plus, and said they would cancel their none existing disney plus subscription if she was left in the Mandalorian, well guess what I had disney plus but not anymore.
    You’re entitled to do whatever you feel is right, but I have to question anyone that (claims they) will cancel Disney + because Disney are severing ties with someone who has:

It is possible to be a strong female without being intolerant and offensive to minorities / the victims of genocide.

Mocking the pronoun thing isn’t necessarily mocking the trans community. Imo
    What denigrated the BLM movement?
    If comparing republicans to holocaust victims (sorta) is wrong I hope no democrats work for Disney lol

PersonalMajorAustraliankelpie-small.gif
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited February 2021

Ultimately the problem is that the people claiming this was an injustice share those views. They just don't have the guts to say it with their chest.
    Shuster123 wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    Shuster123 wrote: »

first of all Freedom of speech should be remembered

as should Freedom to hire and fire employees

good argument but if you don't put restrictions on certain stuff then we lose are will to say what we want and not have that affect our jobs

You know Pedro Pascal has a trans family member, right? If you're a second tier recurring guest star, maybe don't double down on publicly expressing hate towards #1 on the call sheet's loved ones after already being warned to tone it down and expecting no consequences.

Freedom of speech means you can't throw someone in jail for what they say. That's it. That's the whole thing. Read the entire constitution if you're going to pretend like it means something when the moral of the past five years is that it only means as much as certain groups want it to mean. Freedom of speech means you can't be jailed, it doesn't mean there are no consequences.

It doesn't mean, for instance, a company that publicly faces itself as a welcoming and inclusive family company has to throw up their hands and say "Well, I know we have someone on our show that thinks Jewish people secretly control the world and seek to form a new world order where you're going to have to stop for two seconds before talking to someone to consider that maybe their pronouns are different than what you think on first glance. And we know that after we told her to stop she said compared her situation to a situation where, again, Jewish people were murdered en masse, experimented on, and stuffed into ovens... But there's just nothing we can DO! We HAVE to keep her on the show because everyone is free to have their opinions, and after all, what was the Holocaust if not one big difference of opinions?"
    Post edited by crzydroid on
  • Gifafi wrote: »
    Rtt: I did get a chuckle out of this being Disney making up for its anti-Semitic past, so this thread isn’t a complete dumpster fire...

Yeah, imagine changing your mind about something after a lengthy amount of time and new evidence and ruthlessly continuing to believe what your founder did even though he's been dead for decades. LOL WHAT A DUMPSTER FIRE!

Evolving on a position... Ha. What a chuckle!
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    NicWester wrote: »

Yeah, imagine changing your mind about something after a lengthy amount of time and new evidence and ruthlessly continuing to believe what your founder did even though he's been dead for decades. LOL WHAT A DUMPSTER FIRE!

New evidence? Like Jews aren’t bad? Well I, for one, am glad Disney has, um, listened to the science, I guess, and has come around on the issue Walt was known for. And has expressed this newfound evolution in thinking by bravely taking a stand on such a big issue for Jewish people, namely, being compared to repubs. It’s a new day in America!
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Gifafi wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »

New evidence? Like Jews aren’t bad? Well I, for one, am glad Disney has, um, listened to the science, I guess, and has come around on the issue Walt was known for. And has expressed this newfound evolution in thinking by bravely taking a stand on such a big issue for Jewish people, namely, being compared to repubs. It’s a new day in America!

Forums get so meta sometimes, I enjoy it :)
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Cara Dune will simply exist, but there will likely be no more Cara Dune.

Which means the toon stays the same, the Mandalorian goes unedited. She’s simply not needed anymore. Her purpose as a character was to be a strong female, and her purpose was served. And guess what? There are more strong females on The Mandalorian now with more depth to them, so there’s really no need for Cara Dune.

As for the justification of her not being rehired, she has egged on cancel culture. She made it past multiple controversial posts with the support of her coworkers and Lucasfilm, but she kept pushing it, I guess to lash out at cancel culture? I’m not sure, but to compare the Holocaust to your experience is not a good look for anyone, and I can see why Lucasfilm is distancing themselves. As steeped in politics as these posts were, it comes down to Lucasfilm wanting to save face, not trying to be political.
  • Cancel culture isn’t real. It’s a boogeyman the right uses to scare people into giving them more power.
This discussion has been closed.