We need new Metas!

123457Next

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited February 2021
    SithAmer wrote: »
    On ships, while I understand it is not a priority for CG, they should atleast close the loop on existing fleets by adding 1-2 ships each for factions like resistance and first order. Kyno

Also, while I understand they are working on a new game mode, there has been no real game update since past 20+ days.

That's a good idea, and we will have to wait and see if anything comes, but as I said, they dont seem to directly have anything in the works right now, and balance testing and things like that take time, so they are unlikely to round out each faction until they are working on an update around ships. They are probably not going to round out the fleets, "just because".

Yes we did.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/241336/scheduled-update-02-10-2021#latest

Also they have said something to the effect of, they do an update each week and alternate weeks between client and server side. We don't generally get update posts or notifications on the server side ones as they do not normally contain player facing things in them.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    MaruMaru wrote: »
    Konju wrote: »
    Gamorrean wrote: »
    Kisakee wrote: »
    Meanwhile I'd rather not spend two hours every day climbing thank you very much.
    And that's about it - you don't want to work for your top spots,

Hahaha I got my roster and my resources to where they are with a ton of work. I earned my place in this resource management game. And while not skipping any other parts of the game by the way. Meanwhile right now anyone can climb to the top regardless of mods or effort. All it takes is having a few hours free consecutively every day. How is that earned?

So another player investing the time and energy to have the GL counter to your defense set isn’t work? That other player showing up everyday for similar length of climb as you to their payout isn’t work? I certainly think both would qualify as earned.

It's less work when arena is RPS, by far.

While I do believe you personally put in more work staying ahead in meta terms, for many it’s a swipe of the card, a double click of a mouse button and a monetary transaction. Where is the work in that?

There isn't any work in that. But it helps keep the game going. Necessary so that others can play for free.

True. It does.

I understand the frustration in climbing for longer amounts of time, but advocating for the whales, krakens & leviathans (most of them spending no matter what, keeping the game going for F2P no matter what) to have an “easy” button doesn’t exactly sound like a path earned either, which you agreed.

It seems you are just out for TVF and that kind of selfishness has gotten you where you are. Hard to argue it’s not a successful strategy for you. Nothing wrong with it either.

Simply put, I prefer looking for paths where all succeed and achieve. After all we are taking the rewards from CG so a cooperative effort to take as much as possible is always preferable to me. I’m the kind of guy who throws his last GAC match to allow my opponent to get to kyber if I’ve already achieved it (does not always happen). A diverse meta accomplishes this goal of taking more from CG better than the old metas: unlock “X” paywall (or severe hoard wall) and win.

Thanks for the discussion. We simply disagree and I can appreciate that.

This is already the case given shard folks cooperate and isn't much dependant on metas.

Then what would a new “meta” matter other than cleaning the board from ftps?

For me that's exactly the case. It shakes of temporary climbers from previous meta and nothing more. Arena chats are mostly made of f2p too and early meta transition period is somewhat troubling for f2p. But given they've been arena top 20er for long periods this won't disconnect them.

i.e. right now my day 1 arena toppers are in 6m-7.5m range. The people that will fall off the wagon is the recent f2p/low spender that shows at the top because they managed to grab jml but don't have the roster backbone to shortly grab the next one (and be ready for any such situation).

Both of these statements imply to me you would prefer less cooperation. I get your use of “temporary climbers” here but have you considered the possibility that their rosters are at a lower level from only being able to be temporary climbers due to quick meta changes with extreme requirements in many cases? If allowed to be in the top for longer than a month or two they might achieve some level of roster preparedness to continue the climbing and become “permanent” climbers? Surely this is not the case for everyone, but I bet it could be for some of the temporary climbers.

Maybe I’m just naive, because for 50 crystals (maybe 0 crystals) I can still take 1st everyday in a 3 year old shard with the diverse meta (my PO is 4th this week). I prefer seeing cooperation for those top spots and not just the same person sitting in 3rd all day wasting the crystal payout available as I saw in the singular metas. A diverse meta helps to ensure more can climb and earn more rewards overall. My shard still has room for more 2nd and 3rd place finishes throughout the time range of payouts as well. I am absolutely discussing this issue from that experience and desire. Even though it can be inconvenient climbing sometimes, I still prefer the diversity so more players can compete and improve/git gud.

While we disagree, I believe differences of opinion should be explored. Thanks for the discussion.

I didn't say or imply anything about my preferences. I'm just describing the situation in my experience. I haven't seen much difference in whom climbs and how many gets high crystal po's in the current paper rock scissors meta or singular metas of the past. I'm not the one making people capable of persistance throughout the metas whether they pay or are f2p. In both my shard chats, if people who get climbing capability communicate with us and are accepted, they get in. The competetive level is not like it used to be in the first 2 years of the game. This might differ in other shards.

The thing is there's an amount of people, let's say 50 that can healthily climb around eachother, if there's too many the traffic will get clogged and everyone will have harder time climbing with more matches/time invested. As long as this doesn't happen, it's all fine. Now you can disagree if you find my preference different than yours.

All of this is very similar to my arena chat. Your assessment of a healthy shard chat can vary, but is also very reasonable.

I would only say that I am seeing more and newer players in the top 50 & top 20. And some are consistent. These are the players I’m looking to support. If the meta never switched to RPS, these people would miss out on the progression available to them from a diverse meta, hence my reading into what your previous statements implied. A singular meta just rewards P2W and hoarders imo and overall fewer players can climb. I’m looking to take a larger collective chunk of rewards from the game for more players.

While I may lose out on some crystals through refreshes in a RPS meta and increased length of climb, more players are reaching higher payouts. More players climbing hasn’t drastically impacted my ability to earn decent rewards toward progression. I’m happy for a F2P friendly arena vs the hoard and P2W singular metas.

Again, I appreciate the perspective differences and gain much from those who have played longer than myself.

I prefer variable metas as well, like I said I just didn't observe the practical difference. Like right now isn't that much different in top 20 then it used to last 2 years. This might be very different for lower quarters for folks who are trying to get up here.

You must be in a sleepy shard then. We have all sorts of new people and people long not seen popping up again because you don't need good mods or the right team anymore.

So then you are just wanting a team that raises the ceiling a little higher to ease this issue. I'm seeing it in my shard as well but it's still relatively easy to climb having multiple GLs now thankfully. That's something I don't mind but I don't see how they can do it without making previous GLs obsolete in the process.

This is generally why I see them leaving these 4 GLs as the top edge for a bit. I do expect things to shift and slide, but I dont expect a 'line in the sand' meta shift like we have seen previously.

I dont expect them to leave arena alone or anything like that, but they do seem to be testing the idea that the drive to grab the new thing be based on the faction fest system we see in GCs and most likely Conquest (they seem to be based on the same build style)

That being said we have seen armorer make SEE more of a powerhouse, which means we could see these kinds of 'side benefits' from getting the new stuff as they fill out the Mandalorian faction.

If I had to choose, I would love to see more ships come first, and if that means a meta shift vs just more options, so be it.

Ships could definitely use some power creep but it would be nice if that came with a few additional basic ships that can fill the empty spots in a few fleets we have now that are stuck in Port. I'm sure the next couple GLs (if any) will give the ones now a run for the money. Agree with the meta not being the same as prior as well. Only time will tell what is up CGs sleeve.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Gamorrean wrote: »
    Kisakee wrote: »
    Meanwhile I'd rather not spend two hours every day climbing thank you very much.
    And that's about it - you don't want to work for your top spots,

Hahaha I got my roster and my resources to where they are with a ton of work. I earned my place in this resource management game. And while not skipping any other parts of the game by the way. Meanwhile right now anyone can climb to the top regardless of mods or effort. All it takes is having a few hours free consecutively every day. How is that earned?

So another player investing the time and energy to have the GL counter to your defense set isn’t work? That other player showing up everyday for similar length of climb as you to their payout isn’t work? I certainly think both would qualify as earned.

It's less work when arena is RPS, by far.

While I do believe you personally put in more work staying ahead in meta terms, for many it’s a swipe of the card, a double click of a mouse button and a monetary transaction. Where is the work in that?

There isn't any work in that. But it helps keep the game going. Necessary so that others can play for free.

True. It does.

I understand the frustration in climbing for longer amounts of time, but advocating for the whales, krakens & leviathans (most of them spending no matter what, keeping the game going for F2P no matter what) to have an “easy” button doesn’t exactly sound like a path earned either, which you agreed.

It seems you are just out for TVF and that kind of selfishness has gotten you where you are. Hard to argue it’s not a successful strategy for you. Nothing wrong with it either.

Simply put, I prefer looking for paths where all succeed and achieve. After all we are taking the rewards from CG so a cooperative effort to take as much as possible is always preferable to me. I’m the kind of guy who throws his last GAC match to allow my opponent to get to kyber if I’ve already achieved it (does not always happen). A diverse meta accomplishes this goal of taking more from CG better than the old metas: unlock “X” paywall (or severe hoard wall) and win.

Thanks for the discussion. We simply disagree and I can appreciate that.

This is already the case given shard folks cooperate and isn't much dependant on metas.

Then what would a new “meta” matter other than cleaning the board from ftps?

For me that's exactly the case. It shakes of temporary climbers from previous meta and nothing more. Arena chats are mostly made of f2p too and early meta transition period is somewhat troubling for f2p. But given they've been arena top 20er for long periods this won't disconnect them.

i.e. right now my day 1 arena toppers are in 6m-7.5m range. The people that will fall off the wagon is the recent f2p/low spender that shows at the top because they managed to grab jml but don't have the roster backbone to shortly grab the next one (and be ready for any such situation).

Both of these statements imply to me you would prefer less cooperation. I get your use of “temporary climbers” here but have you considered the possibility that their rosters are at a lower level from only being able to be temporary climbers due to quick meta changes with extreme requirements in many cases? If allowed to be in the top for longer than a month or two they might achieve some level of roster preparedness to continue the climbing and become “permanent” climbers? Surely this is not the case for everyone, but I bet it could be for some of the temporary climbers.

Maybe I’m just naive, because for 50 crystals (maybe 0 crystals) I can still take 1st everyday in a 3 year old shard with the diverse meta (my PO is 4th this week). I prefer seeing cooperation for those top spots and not just the same person sitting in 3rd all day wasting the crystal payout available as I saw in the singular metas. A diverse meta helps to ensure more can climb and earn more rewards overall. My shard still has room for more 2nd and 3rd place finishes throughout the time range of payouts as well. I am absolutely discussing this issue from that experience and desire. Even though it can be inconvenient climbing sometimes, I still prefer the diversity so more players can compete and improve/git gud.

While we disagree, I believe differences of opinion should be explored. Thanks for the discussion.

I didn't say or imply anything about my preferences. I'm just describing the situation in my experience. I haven't seen much difference in whom climbs and how many gets high crystal po's in the current paper rock scissors meta or singular metas of the past. I'm not the one making people capable of persistance throughout the metas whether they pay or are f2p. In both my shard chats, if people who get climbing capability communicate with us and are accepted, they get in. The competetive level is not like it used to be in the first 2 years of the game. This might differ in other shards.

The thing is there's an amount of people, let's say 50 that can healthily climb around eachother, if there's too many the traffic will get clogged and everyone will have harder time climbing with more matches/time invested. As long as this doesn't happen, it's all fine. Now you can disagree if you find my preference different than yours.

All of this is very similar to my arena chat. Your assessment of a healthy shard chat can vary, but is also very reasonable.

I would only say that I am seeing more and newer players in the top 50 & top 20. And some are consistent. These are the players I’m looking to support. If the meta never switched to RPS, these people would miss out on the progression available to them from a diverse meta, hence my reading into what your previous statements implied. A singular meta just rewards P2W and hoarders imo and overall fewer players can climb. I’m looking to take a larger collective chunk of rewards from the game for more players.

While I may lose out on some crystals through refreshes in a RPS meta and increased length of climb, more players are reaching higher payouts. More players climbing hasn’t drastically impacted my ability to earn decent rewards toward progression. I’m happy for a F2P friendly arena vs the hoard and P2W singular metas.

Again, I appreciate the perspective differences and gain much from those who have played longer than myself.

I prefer variable metas as well, like I said I just didn't observe the practical difference. Like right now isn't that much different in top 20 then it used to last 2 years. This might be very different for lower quarters for folks who are trying to get up here.

You must be in a sleepy shard then. We have all sorts of new people and people long not seen popping up again because you don't need good mods or the right team anymore.

So then you are just wanting a team that raises the ceiling a little higher to ease this issue. I'm seeing it in my shard as well but it's still relatively easy to climb having multiple GLs now thankfully. That's something I don't mind but I don't see how they can do it without making previous GLs obsolete in the process.

This is generally why I see them leaving these 4 GLs as the top edge for a bit. I do expect things to shift and slide, but I dont expect a 'line in the sand' meta shift like we have seen previously.

I dont expect them to leave arena alone or anything like that, but they do seem to be testing the idea that the drive to grab the new thing be based on the faction fest system we see in GCs and most likely Conquest (they seem to be based on the same build style)

That being said we have seen armorer make SEE more of a powerhouse, which means we could see these kinds of 'side benefits' from getting the new stuff as they fill out the Mandalorian faction.

If I had to choose, I would love to see more ships come first, and if that means a meta shift vs just more options, so be it.

Thats interesting, but I do hope you are wrong in regards to leaving these 4 up top. I could absolutely see it happening, though. I just think this type of game needs a new "best team" at least every year. It would be so odd if they release the next GL of 2021 and SLK with his merry band of the same FO teams just steam rolls it, or even worse, Darth Revan or some non GL counter.

They could also go the "Malak" route. Release an EC toon that really jumps the power of a GL, as Malak did with DR. I honestly thought Beskar Mando would have some effect like that but he's been pretty useless.
  • Community has asked for years for a rock, paper, scissors meta and we finally have it in both arenas. Personally, I like them expanding rosters and making high utility characters rather than the days of forced meta with a couple counters that couldn't hold.
  • Community has asked for years for a rock, paper, scissors meta

Not sure about that; I know I didn't, because fielding the right counter and pressing auto is boring imo, but I may be part of the silent minority. A diverse meta, however, I'm all aboard with it. As long as I have to actually play the fight in order to win, outsmarting the AI, I like it.
  • There are 2 sides to this “problem”.

1. The longer a meta lasts, the less exclusive it is and the more difficult/ time consuming it becomes to climb.

2. Whenever a meta remains for too long, it becomes boring. After a new meta is introduced, it’s not long before arenas become flooded with the same defensive team. The same teams are used to counter them, resulting in everyone playing some version of the same battle over and over again. It quickly becomes stale.

Regularly introducing new metas is the solution to both of these issues.
  • I would just be happy if the GL’s were, as CG promised, roughly equivalent with each other.

Unfortunately as someone who invested in SEE, I found out that this is obviously not the case.

Hopefully the next GL’s that we get won’t be worse than the ones we already have.
  • Gifafi wrote: »
    raybron99 wrote: »
    Literally you all been asking for rock paper scissors for the arena, CG gave us rock paper scissors, where we got 4 teams now capable of beating the other team and the arena is diverse now, now you all gonna start crying about how it's too much work to climb to the top of the arena now?

Certain people were asking for that, I was not one of them. I am here to show there are other opinions out there that need to be heard.

And yes, dropping to 40 every day regardless of how much better my mods are than the rest of my shard is dumb. Its also very time consuming, and theres 0 strategy other than hitting auto after I select my team.

Want to be the best, then gotta put in the time,
    You know what's boring though? Traya vs traya, Revan vs Revan, darth revan vs darth revan, gas vs gas, you know what's not boring? Fighting 4 different teams everyday to climb

What time is needed? The current GL vs GL is an auto fest. I would like to see the top meta teams beatable, but by good players who can execute a counter and have good mods. Right now, you just go in and hit auto.

All of the teams you mentioned mirrors on, were beatable by the previous meta. I am saying I prefer that state of the game where every six months or so we got a very powerful team that gave us something to strive for.

Going all in for SEEP for example felt pretty hollow as you couldn't use him for arena and he got rolled over in GAC by troopers. I think thats a bad direction for the game, and you are free to disagree.

Then why do I see people in arena with SEE? At the top, I mean.

If you are part of your shard mafia and you get to top end of arena, it’s easy to stay there because you’re surrounded by the one team that SEE can beat - JML.

• Ereshkigal wrote: »
    Gifafi wrote: »
    Literally you all been asking for rock paper scissors for the arena, CG gave us rock paper scissors, where we got 4 teams now capable of beating the other team and the arena is diverse now, now you all gonna start crying about how it's too much work to climb to the top of the arena now?

Certain people were asking for that, I was not one of them. I am here to show there are other opinions out there that need to be heard.

And yes, dropping to 40 every day regardless of how much better my mods are than the rest of my shard is dumb. Its also very time consuming, and theres 0 strategy other than hitting auto after I select my team.

You know what's boring though? Traya vs traya, Revan vs Revan, darth revan vs darth revan, gas vs gas, you know what's not boring? Fighting 4 different teams everyday to climb

What time is needed? The current GL vs GL is an auto fest. I would like to see the top meta teams beatable, but by good players who can execute a counter and have good mods. Right now, you just go in and hit auto.

All of the teams you mentioned mirrors on, were beatable by the previous meta. I am saying I prefer that state of the game where every six months or so we got a very powerful team that gave us something to strive for.

Going all in for SEEP for example felt pretty hollow as you couldn't use him for arena and he got rolled over in GAC by troopers. I think thats a bad direction for the game, and you are free to disagree.

If you are part of your shard mafia and you get to top end of arena, it’s easy to stay there because you’re surrounded by the one team that SEE can beat - JML.
    Top end players have more than 1 GL, so can switch teams for this sort of thing.

Top end players have more than 1 GL, so can switch teams for this sort of thing.

That is also true. People use JML to climb through SLKR walls and then SEE for easy wins vs JML.

I was speaking of myself as a SEE owner only who is not part of a shard mafia because I never whales to get the current meta.
    Ereshkigal wrote: »

That is also true. People use JML to climb through SLKR walls and then SEE for easy wins vs JML.

I was speaking of myself as a SEE owner only who is not part of a shard mafia because I never whales to get the current meta.

This entire topic only exist because shard mafia are realizing that everyone else is getting a GL and now their top spot is in danger lol

This entire topic only exist because shard mafia are realizing that everyone else is getting a GL and now their top spot is in danger lol

Lol, no matter what team is released shard chat is the real meta, that's not in danger and will never be, it will only be so for the people who can't grab the new thing or it's counter.

He can beat any team
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member

Generally this is not why someone is excluded from a shard chat.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »

But for some it is. And I can understand the frustration.
  • Konju
    1142 posts Member

Depends how full the chat is when reaching the ability to climb to top spots. If whales took all the spots for a healthy shard chat, then it can be too late for some. Not in my shard, but I know others have this policy.
  • If you’re not at the top end of arena you’re not going to be involved to a shard mafia, lol.
  • MikKro wrote: »

He can beat any team

Reliably? No.

I’ve been using him against the SLKR wall in my shard for months and he fails constantly.

• Add armorer
    MikKro wrote: »

He can beat any team

Reliably? No.

I’ve been using him against the SLKR wall in my shard for months and he fails constantly.

JML on auto vs. SLKR. SEE + Wat vs..anything else.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    MikKro wrote: »

He can beat any team

Reliably? No.

JML on auto vs. SLKR. SEE + Wat vs..anything else.

Not basti lead jml and wat
    I would just be happy if the GL’s were, as CG promised, roughly equivalent with each other.

Unfortunately as someone who invested in SEE, I found out that this is obviously not the case.

Hopefully the next GL’s that we get won’t be worse than the ones we already have.

I have both SLKR and SEE and while SEE doesn't seem to have as good a place in the game as the other GLs, the truth is, he's invaluable in my Arena. Why? Even though RPS exists between the GLs, in my shard JML owners have taken over the top 50. At this point few SLKR (only) owners in my shard bother to battle much below 50 these days, but SEE keeps me in the top 50, occasionally not falling past the 20s.

Even if CG releases more GLs that are similar in power, I think the new GLs would become an unofficial meta as the new GL owners create another "choke the other GLs out" situation, like they have done now. In an active shard with chat, whales can create their own top-team environment so they can protect their latest investment.

If anything, I'd like to see the time between arena battles decreased.

With more people climbing, you need more battles to climb back to the top. The best quality of life move wouldn't be a new meta to rule them all, but let us start a new battle every 5-minutes instead of every 10-minutes. Alternatively, let us refresh the battle timer by watching an ad (like in DSA), instead of using crystals, after all, spending crystals to battle more quickly is counter-productive in most arena climbs.

If CG gives us a way to complete our arena climb more quickly, that's a change I can get behind...after all, the longer the meta is in place, the further any team will fall. When long time players are quitting the game because they've grown tired of devoting so much of their day to the arena climb, then you know it's a problem.
  • Some thoughts on my side. There is a lot of complains abt SLK being OP. We'll do u want another SLK but stronger for the new meta? Would that be better? What if that meta is tied to another 1K pay wall? Would u like that?

The game is balanced at the moment and if u find that boring / not able to hold arena because each GL counter the other and there is no more "meta", u better don't be the one complaining if the new meta drops and no other GL can beat each other apart from the 2 new GLs.

Hope ur happy with your 50th ranking once that happens.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Looooki wrote: »
    Some thoughts on my side. There is a lot of complains abt SLK being OP. We'll do u want another SLK but stronger for the new meta? Would that be better? What if that meta is tied to another 1K pay wall? Would u like that?

I would like it because it won't be tied to a paywall (nothing is) and I will get it.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »
    Some thoughts on my side. There is a lot of complains abt SLK being OP. We'll do u want another SLK but stronger for the new meta? Would that be better? What if that meta is tied to another 1K pay wall? Would u like that?

I would like it because it won't be tied to a paywall (nothing is) and I will get it.

Only u would think so
  • Looooki wrote: »

Only u would think so

While I don't have desire for new meta to get ahead in arena, I'm not sure you see where @TVF is coming from. Some of us f2p/low spenders either have very developed rosters ready for many situations (compared to that player who recently started climbing getting a gl) or deep gear hoards or both.

So anything new will either cost little to rush it or cost nothing. Meanwhile that guy who recently got a gl and started climbing will fall off the rails. This is nothing new, it has always worked like this for long term arena toppers on meta shifts. What I described is general look of the arena top scene, may not fit any particular player.
  • MaruMaru wrote: »

Only u would think so

While I don't have desire for new meta to get ahead in arena, I'm not sure you see where @TVF is coming from. Some of us f2p/low spenders either have very developed rosters ready for many situations (compared to that player who recently started climbing getting a gl) or deep gear hoards or both.

So anything new will either cost little to rush it or cost nothing. Meanwhile that guy who recently got a gl and started climbing will fall off the rails. This is nothing new, it has always worked like this for long term arena toppers on meta shifts. What I described is general look of the arena top scene, may not fit any particular player.

I'm playing almost done the start for about 4 years. I have 2 GLs, working towards Rey and Mando.

So I don't agree with u on this. If another GL drops, there is a high chance I would need to spend. The roster might be deep, but the new requirements for GC for example are toons hidden pay walls.

Only u would think so

I'm playing almost done the start for about 4 years. I have 2 GLs, working towards Rey and Mando.

So I don't agree with u on this. If another GL drops, there is a high chance I would need to spend. The roster might be deep, but the new requirements for GC for example are toons hidden pay walls.

Not sure what you don't agree with. You may need to actually drop the 1k bucks you claim, me and tvf won't. I opted out of the 3rd gl and have a gear hoard good enough to get a new one along with having the mando team full in relics, moff at 6* and max geared as is, same for armorer (at 3*). In the overall roster state I have 150 (exact number) at g11+. This is the culmination of years of daily 1 as f2p. If they say jawas and tuskens it is, there I will be. So this hypothetical meta shift would benefit me, while being bad for many folks. Unless that thing needs many things at r8 (I can do 3 as of now) no paywall exists.

Only u would think so

You only would need to spend if you don't prepare well. This is a resource management game, so you should always keep a high stock of items in case something drops if you want to remain competitive. I could probably get 2 new GLs if they launched in April because I have hoarded so much stuff.