Cara Dune

Replies

• They all say they want a strong female, until they meet one and want to cancel her, she basically got lynched by the Twitter mob that doesn't actually have disney plus, and said they would cancel their none existing disney plus subscription if she was left in the Mandalorian, well guess what I had disney plus but not anymore.
  • They all say they want a strong female, until they meet one and want to cancel her, she basically got lynched by the Twitter mob that doesn't actually have disney plus, and said they would cancel their none existing disney plus subscription if she was left in the Mandalorian, well guess what I had disney plus but not anymore.

Canceling the cancelers. Interesting take.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    edited February 2021
    well guess what I had disney plus but not anymore.

I don't believe people on twitter saying this and I don't believe you. You all act tough on the internet but keep tuning in.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Shaddess wrote: »
    Who cares. Seriously why would they delete a character because she got fired???? Cancel culture is the worst

Yes it's almost the worst,
    The worst thing is forgetting that everyone is innocent until proven guilty, seems like people have forgotten what that actually means

Lol innocent until proven guilty? There's no forensic evidence to process in a lab. Her posts are out there for everyone to see and her employer decided they were not worth having her around anymore.
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    Where's the guacamole dip? This thread is more entertaining than watching the mandalorian.......
  • she basically got lynched by the Twitter mob

Whoah, hey. The word "lynch" actually means something. Let's not use it unless there's violence, okay? This was nothing like a lynching. An employer warned an employee that the employer didn't like their social media posts & that similar posts in the future could result in firing. The employee did exactly what the employer asked her not to do. The employer fired her.

If my workplace has no particular dress code, but I wear my Se x Pistols shirt to work & the employer says, "Yeah, we don't have a strict code, but we do have little kids around here so I don't want you wearing any Se x Pistols shirts, okay?" Then I do it again & get a formal warning, then I do it again & get fired, that is not a lynching. That's an employer doing what employers do: choosing how to represent their company in a way that makes them the most money.

There are arguments against at will employment. A couple have even been made in this thread. You could support a law that bans hiring & firing decisions based on social media use and I'd have no problem with the idea (though I might have problems with specific drafting language in a particular bill).

But whatever this is, it is certainly not a lynching.
    You’re entitled to do whatever you feel is right, but I have to question anyone that (claims they) will cancel Disney + because Disney are severing ties with someone who has:

- mocked the trans community
    - liked posts that denigrates the BLM campaign
    - Compared being a republican with being a **** in the Holocaust.

It is possible to be a strong female without being intolerant and offensive to minorities / the victims of genocide.

But, in case you get uppity, you are of course entitled to your opinion.
  • Someone already made a thread, so you’re not starting it.

Kyno merged my post with this guy's.
  • BobcatSkywalker
    2194 posts Member
    edited February 2021
    Is there any plans to remove her from the game for her Twitter posts? She is already fired and banished from disney. Just curious if CG supports Gina Carano and Cara Dune?
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • You won't get an answer to if they support her. Highly unlikely a character will be removed. Feel free to join in on the multiple threads that have been merged into this one over the same subject: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/241348/cara-dune#latest
  • camper288
    211 posts Member
    edited February 2021
    This politically correct gibberish at disney is already kitten. Keep feeding the monster that will devour you.
    Post edited by crzydroid on
  • RTS
    682 posts Member
    The character does not equal the actress. Removing her would be ridiculous.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Shuster123 wrote: »
    They all say they want a strong female, until they meet one and want to cancel her, she basically got lynched by the Twitter mob that doesn't actually have disney plus, and said they would cancel their none existing disney plus subscription if she was left in the Mandalorian, well guess what I had disney plus but not anymore.
    You’re entitled to do whatever you feel is right, but I have to question anyone that (claims they) will cancel Disney + because Disney are severing ties with someone who has:

It is possible to be a strong female without being intolerant and offensive to minorities / the victims of genocide.

first of all Freedom of speech should be remembered

as should Freedom to hire and fire employees
  • RTS wrote: »

Yeah, it's not like Disney has gone back and removed her from the first two seasons. They just won't be having her in any future seasons.

• If my workplace has no particular dress code, but I wear my Se x Pistols shirt to work & the employer says, "Yeah, we don't have a strict code, but we do have little kids around here so I don't want you wearing any Se x Pistols shirts, okay?" Then I do it again & get a formal warning, then I do it again & get fired, that is not a lynching. That's an employer doing what employers do: choosing how to represent their company in a way that makes them the most money.
    Why would you want to work for an employer that has no taste? :)
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    StarSon wrote: »
    RTS wrote: »

Yeah, it's not like Disney has gone back and removed her from the first two seasons.

Yet, lol.
  • TVF wrote: »
    They all say they want a strong female, until they meet one and want to cancel her, she basically got lynched by the Twitter mob that doesn't actually have disney plus, and said they would cancel their none existing disney plus subscription if she was left in the Mandalorian, well guess what I had disney plus but not anymore.

good argument but if you don't put restrictions on certain stuff then we lose are will to say what we want and not have that affect our jobs
  • They’ll probably just add a warning disclaimer like they do on their older movies.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

good argument but if you don't put restrictions on certain stuff then we lose are will to say what we want and not have that affect our jobs

And?
  • TVF wrote: »

And?

therefore we should stop someone who is openly saying they are firing someone for saying something
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member

And?

therefore we should stop someone who is openly saying they are firing someone for saying something

Get hired at Disney, work your way up to leadership, and then see if you can stop it.
  • Shuster123 wrote: »

And?

Why should we? They’re a private company. One that probably has a historical bad image as regards members of the Jewish faith likely looking to make amends.

If you’re fundamentally opposed to it, don’t buy their stuff, or don’t work for them.

And anyway, watching how you present yourself on social media is a common requirement for most organisations. I’m a teacher and it’s part of my contract. I’m willing to bet it was part of her’s.
  • MasterSeedy
    4992 posts Member
    edited February 2021
    @Shuster123
    good argument but if you don't put restrictions on certain stuff then we lose [our] will to say what we want and not have that affect our jobs

Good argument, but you're not paying attention to the fact that employees in the US do not actually have that right. Unless you're in a union and your union contract has contract provisions on that point, you will only have that right in states where "at will" employment has been statutorily restricted. Guess which states those are? I'll give you a hint, it's every state in the entire country whose name begins with "Mon" and end with "tana". That's the full list.

Moreover, what we say **should** affect our jobs in many, many cases. If your job is selling Microsoft software and you have a blog trashing Microsoft software as terrible, an employer is right to think that maybe your heart isn't in selling their software.

Likewise, if your speech is making your co-workers mad and they don't want to work with you anymore, a boss might be in the position of firing one person or having ten people quit. In that circumstance, even in Montana, an employer can rightfully and legally fire an employee.

And this doesn't even touch circumstances like someone writing fantasies about doing violence to their employer or boss or co-workers and publishing them on social media: freedom of speech is not absolute, and even words can get you arrested if they're the wrong words with the wrong effects.

So what you have here is an area that absolutely requires nuance combined with people on this blog who have shown no ability to articulate any nuance at all.

Freedom of speech doesn't tell you if Carano's co-workers were threatening to quit. It doesn't tell you whether the person signing the checks didn't want to subsidize Carano's fame. It doesn't tell you whether sales of Cara merchandise had slowed down.

So people can yell "Cancel Culture!" or "Freedom of Speech!" but they're not making any argument at all. I would have respect for a comment that tries to argue for exactly what limits should exist on an employer's right to hire or fire, which tries to spell out what the decision making process should be in order to guarantee that firings for things people say are just* firings for things people say.

But people aren't doing that. Instead, as TVF suggests, they're completely forgetting that people other than the speaker also have rights here.

I'm not taking a position on the Carano firing - I haven't looked into it. The reporting I did read said that she had been warned in November & spoken to informally before that, but I don't know the exact content of her prior posts nor do I know the exact content of the warnings her employer gave her. Her bosses at LucasFilm could still be the bad guys in this story, as far as I know.

But screaming freedom of speech and "cancel culture!" sure doesn't prove anything other than that a commenter hasn't bothered to think things through.

=============
    *Just in the sense of "justice"
  • @Shuster123
    good argument but if you don't put restrictions on certain stuff then we lose [our] will to say what we want and not have that affect our jobs

Good argument, but you're not paying attention to the fact that employees in the US do not actually have that right. Unless you're in a union and your union contract has contract provisions on that point, you will only have that right in states where "at will" employment has been statutorily restricted. Guess which states those are? I'll give you a hint, it's every state in the entire country whose name begins with "Mon" and end with "tana". That's the full list.

Moreover, what we say **should** affect our jobs in many, many cases. If your job is selling Microsoft software and you have a blog trashing Microsoft software as terrible, an employer is right to think that maybe your heart isn't in selling their software.

Likewise, if your speech is making your co-workers mad and they don't want to work with you anymore, a boss might be in the position of firing one person or having ten people quit. In that circumstance, even in Montana, an employer can rightfully and legally fire an employee.

And this doesn't even touch circumstances like someone writing fantasies about doing violence to their employer or boss or co-workers and publishing them on social media: freedom of speech is not absolute, and even words can get you arrested if they're the wrong words with the wrong effects.

So what you have here is an area that absolutely requires nuance combined with people on this blog who have shown no ability to articulate any nuance at all.

Freedom of speech doesn't tell you if Carano's co-workers were threatening to quit. It doesn't tell you whether the person signing the checks didn't want to subsidize Carano's fame. It doesn't tell you whether sales of Cara merchandise had slowed down.

So people can yell "Cancel Culture!" or "Freedom of Speech!" but they're not making any argument at all. I would have respect for a comment that tries to argue for exactly what limits should exist on an employer's right to hire or fire, which tries to spell out what the decision making process should be in order to guarantee that firings for things people say are just* firings for things people say.

But people aren't doing that. Instead, as TVF suggests, they're completely forgetting that people other than the speaker also have rights here.

I'm not taking a position on the Carano firing - I haven't looked into it. The reporting I did read said that she had been warned in November & spoken to informally before that, but I don't know the exact content of her prior posts nor do I know the exact content of the warnings her employer gave her. Her bosses at LucasFilm could still be the bad guys in this story, as far as I know.

But screaming freedom of speech and "cancel culture!" sure doesn't prove anything other than that a commenter hasn't bothered to think things through.

=============
    *Just in the sense of "justice"
    I have to concede that you are correct but I do not like Disney's decision in this matter but I can't do anything about it and nor should anyone but someone high up in disney

And?

Why should we? They’re a private company. One that probably has a historical bad image as regards members of the Jewish faith likely looking to make amends.

If you’re fundamentally opposed to it, don’t buy their stuff, or don’t work for them.

And anyway, watching how you present yourself on social media is a common requirement for most organisations. I’m a teacher and it’s part of my contract. I’m willing to bet it was part of her’s.

Yes I have to concede by the fact that no one should intervene except the high up people in Disney itself but as a member of the jewish faith I would like to mention that I didn't think her post was antiseptic
  • *anti-semetic
    *anti-semetic
    The first one was better!
    *anti-semetic
    The first one was better!

Hahaha
  • Interesting.

Wonkette (blog, not straight news reporting so expect them to take sides), is reporting that Carano was not even fired. The show was between seasons and LucasFilm simply announced that they weren't going to hire her for Season 3. It appears that despite their own headline, the essential fact that Carano was between contracts comes originally from this story by the Hollywood Reporter.

From the tone of that story, it seems unlikely that Carano would have been back for Season 3 even without this most recent instagram post. Possible, but unlikely.
This discussion has been closed.