Mace Windu - why should he be a GL or stronger in general? Serious Question

Prev134
Ok, so first of all, this shouldn´t be a troll thread or clickbait.

Back to topic:

In many threads or discussion, a lot of people wants Mace Windu a pure beast and he should deserve more love.
And i never really understood.
Is it because of Samuel L. Jackson?

Because regarding due to his actions in the movie, i would say his toon is good as it is....
Reading his wookipedia article we could argue about his abilities and power level who should get a small touch up. But serious, why should he be better than Ki-Adi, GAS, JKL, Kenobi, etc.?

Please response with serious arguments!

Replies

• I don't know how powerful he was actually, but he definitely was not as weak as he is in game.
    There is absolute no use for him at the moment, even some could argue that Jedi Consular has more use than him. His kit is more than outdated.
    With that said, he was second in command only to Yoda, which says a lot.
    Also, his technique in lightsaber dueling was unique and really powerful. We saw how effective he was against probably one of the most powerful characters in the story, Emperor Palpatine. Palp destroyed every single jedi that entered his office, other than Mace.
    Lastly, a character that is indeed played by Samuel L. Jackson, hints that he is probably somewhat of significance to the story. Why would you pay an actor of his caliber to play an unimportant character?
    Don't make sense!
  • Based on Lore: Should be an Attacker not a Tank (and probably the worst Tank of All). His biggest Strength was Vapaad, that should give him a serious Advantage against Darkside Users in particular.

In the Game: Leave him as trash as he is, get over it.
  • Naver666 wrote: »

In the Game: Leave him as trash as he is, get over it.

Why leave him as is? He definitely needs a touch-up for me!
    I would argue for a rework, but with the work CG puts i will be fine with a touch-up!
  • I'd be happy if they put a Zeta on him to bring his shatterpoint to the same level as the Windu you fight in Geo TB
  • We saw how effective he was against probably one of the most powerful characters in the story, Emperor Palpatine. Palp destroyed every single jedi that entered his office, other than Mace.

Because his goal was the Anakin's corruption, not killing Mace per se. He played both Mace and Anakin in that scene. Yoda was without any doubt the strongest Jedi at the time, yet Palp won in the direct combat, so Mace hardly had any real chance.
  • Garbage actor garbage character
  • Hortus wrote: »
    We saw how effective he was against probably one of the most powerful characters in the story, Emperor Palpatine. Palp destroyed every single jedi that entered his office, other than Mace.

Because his goal was the Anakin's corruption, not killing Mace per se. He played both Mace and Anakin in that scene. Yoda was without any doubt the strongest Jedi at the time, yet Palp won in the direct combat, so Mace hardly had any real chance.

It was confirmed by star wars that palpatine lost to mace because mace was better, not because palp wanted to lose
  • Larx wrote: »

. But serious, why should he be better than Ki-Adi, GAS, JKL, Kenobi, etc.?
    I don't think many people asked for him to be better then those jedi, but at least usable. A same power level as Ki-Adi, GMY, ...
  • The novelization of revenge of the sith has a lot more depth to that fight and also goes into detail about why Palpatines kill order was what it was.

But, if I remember correctly the first jedi slain, the zabarak, was a stronger duelist than Mace. Hence why Palpatine removed him before the fight started. Sadly the Fister gets punked.

A zeta on Mace sounds good. A GL? Eh pass.

Also, societal trends. What was Disenys emergency pr lady saying the other day?
  • There is much more lore about Mace in books and comics than the movies, also true in general. If you go into collector bookstores you'll find ceiling high shelves of star wars books. Resigning your knowledge of Star Wars genre to movies is like resigning your knowledge of cars to go carts.
  • Mace is/was the only jedi who could use Force Choke (a dark-side ability) due to Vapaad (his lightsaber technique, may be off on spelling). His technique alone makes him up there with some other legendary jedi
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Garbage actor ..

How dare you.

:|
  • Sanderzas wrote: »
    Hortus wrote: »
    We saw how effective he was against probably one of the most powerful characters in the story, Emperor Palpatine. Palp destroyed every single jedi that entered his office, other than Mace.

It was confirmed by star wars that palpatine lost to mace because mace was better, not because palp wanted to lose

I never seen any direct confirmation of this claim in the canon. But the text of Revenge of the Sith novelization clearly says that Windu couldn't kill Palpatine on his own and relied on Anakin to do that, but realized that Palpatine have no fear at all of this and completely trust Anakin.
  • We have a ton of characters with far less screen time who get zetas so it isn’t a big ask
  • RTS
    682 posts Member
    Garbage actor garbage character

Calling Samuel L Jackson a 'garbage' actor is either a troll, or fueld by some, ah, other point of view.

He's anything but.
  • Give him a zeta to silence the whingers who tried to get ahead of the curve by splashing out on a meh character, believing he was going to be re-worked.
    Boring character, not worthy of anything more than a zeta.
  • My guess is that it's due to Mace being a 4* bronzium unlock character. That perhaps limits how good the character can be. Or the fact that jkr's kit stunted the touchups of other jedi due to balance issues.

Mace has also received 2 minor touchups in the past (damage increase to both basic and special, and another to make his expose irresistible). Not that either did much to improve his usefulness. Maybe if he had a 100% chance to inflict taunt and 3x expose on a random enemy for shatterpoint, leaving the character dazed or armor shred afterward if he crit, or some similarly better mechanic than a random expose he often can't target.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • From a lore perspective he was second in command essentially after Yoda in the entire Jedi Order so he was clearly powerful and in the movies while people say he didn’t do much, he did defeat palpatine in 1v1 combat and killed Jango who was a prolific Jedi Killer (that part may be legends now I’m not sure). Yet In game he’s arguably one of the worst Jedi we have which doesn’t feel right. That’s my reasoning behind wanting him to get a rework and sure you could say that not everyone powerful in lore is automatically good in game but mace is beyond awful so he deserves to be at least a toon you actually want to put into a team
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member

This scene makes me laugh every time.

But not in a good way.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »

But not in a good way.

Your replies make me laugh every time.
    But not in a good way.
  • I'd like to see him get a touch up, he could be useful plus he's got a capital ship, so why not. Also I'd like to see Jedi Council added to the filter of factions.
  • The galactic republic jedi need reworks as a whole, not just mace.

If you watched the clone wars series, you saw the overall power of the Jedi and what they were capable of. Jedi like Mace, Plo Koon, Kit Fisto, Ayala Secura, and Luminara all need reworks to bring them to relevancy. Nobody is asking them to be meta, however at relic level and proper synergy they should be able to do reliably well in LS GEO TB and be on the level of GG teams elsewhere in the game. They’re unusable right now and the only GR Jedi with any worth right now are GK, Ashoka, and JKA on a padme team. Maybe Barris too but she could also be used on JML, a GL.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    edited February 2021
    TVF wrote: »

But not in a good way.

Your replies make me laugh every time.
    But not in a good way.

unknown.png
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • kalidor wrote: »
    the fact that jkr's kit stunted the touchups of other jedi due to balance issues.

This.
  • I’m not sure people understand the term Galactic Legend. Mace is a marquee type of toon that deserves a touch up. But not GL status. The only characters that deserve GL status at this point in time are Jedi Master Kenobi and Lord Vader (pre-suit). That’s it. There is no other characters that even compare with the GL status of two of the most important characters in Star Wars lore. Look at who we’ve had as GLs. Luke, Palpatine, Rey, Kylo Ren. Literally the main protagonists and antagonists of the OT and sequels. Mace doesn’t even come close to this status.
  • I’m not sure people understand the term Galactic Legend. Mace is a marquee type of toon that deserves a touch up. But not GL status. The only characters that deserve GL status at this point in time are Jedi Master Kenobi and Lord Vader (pre-suit). That’s it. There is no other characters that even compare with the GL status of two of the most important characters in Star Wars lore. Look at who we’ve had as GLs. Luke, Palpatine, Rey, Kylo Ren. Literally the main protagonists and antagonists of the OT and sequels. Mace doesn’t even come close to this status.

"Wars not make one GL"

Please don't forget the little dude.

That's the official version, but it doesnt make it true. Ask a random person on the street for a random SW character, they will say Darth Vader. Not Fallen Anakin, but Darth Vader. Half of the ppl who have seen ep 7-9 havent got a single clue who th is Kylo Ren. Same goes for Rey tbf, it suits disney, and i dont scoff CG for turning her into a GL, but she isnt iconic anyway. Probably bb8 made a more powerful impact than her and i am not even kidding here.

For me "Legends" are: Palpi, Vader, D/JK Revan, Luke (not SkypeLuke, RoTJ Luke), Yoda, Mandalore the Great. These are the ppl who were known (by name at least) close to everyone in the Galaxy during their lifespawn.

Since this is strictly personal I could easily imagine ppl adding to this list as per their own taste. You may argue for Valkorion, but he is just a Palpatine wannabe imo and not in this game either. One could name some Sith like Bane, yeah, i could live with them too.

(Funnily enough, probably Holdo made herself a name across the galaxy too after her "Now that's podracing!" moment. Still not a GL)

Mace being a GL is debatable, least to say. Kenobi is a good candidate too. Then again, keep in mind, that title itself (Galactic Legend) is made up by CG and doesnt mean too much to the Lore, sooo it makes little to no difference whatsoever.

• SerWulfgar wrote: »
    I’m not sure people understand the term Galactic Legend. Mace is a marquee type of toon that deserves a touch up. But not GL status. The only characters that deserve GL status at this point in time are Jedi Master Kenobi and Lord Vader (pre-suit). That’s it. There is no other characters that even compare with the GL status of two of the most important characters in Star Wars lore. Look at who we’ve had as GLs. Luke, Palpatine, Rey, Kylo Ren. Literally the main protagonists and antagonists of the OT and sequels. Mace doesn’t even come close to this status.

That's the official version, but it doesnt make it true. Ask a random person on the street for a random SW character, they will say Darth Vader. Not Fallen Anakin, but Darth Vader. Half of the ppl who have seen ep 7-9 havent got a single clue who th is Kylo Ren. Same goes for Rey tbf, it suits disney, and i dont scoff CG for turning her into a GL, but she isnt iconic anyway. Probably bb8 made a more powerful impact than her and i am not even kidding here.

For me "Legends" are: Palpi, Vader, D/JK Revan, Luke (not SkypeLuke, RoTJ Luke), Yoda, Mandalore the Great. These are the ppl who were known (by name at least) close to everyone in the Galaxy during their lifespawn.

Since this is strictly personal I could easily imagine ppl adding to this list as per their own taste. You may argue for Valkorion, but he is just a Palpatine wannabe imo and not in this game either. One could name some Sith like Bane, yeah, i could live with them too.

(Funnily enough, probably Holdo made herself a name across the galaxy too after her "Now that's podracing!" moment. Still not a GL)

Mace being a GL is debatable, least to say. Kenobi is a good candidate too. Then again, keep in mind, that title itself (Galactic Legend) is made up by CG and doesnt mean too much to the Lore, sooo it makes little to no difference whatsoever.

Jabba and Boba Fett would also be known across the galaxy using your definition so I’m all for it.