Solicitation for Topics of Interest

Replies

• Fatal
    58 posts Member
    edited February 2021
    Kyno wrote: »
    Fatal wrote: »
    Would it ever be possible to get a downgrade system? I don't expect it to refund for balance reasons. Give it 15 warning/confirmation screens or whatever to prevent accidents, but there have been more than a few theorycrafting situations lately where I'd kill to make a character lower relic or take off an ability upgrade. If GP smurfing/sandbagging is a concern, I'd still gladly take that trade even if my GP wasn't lowered when that downgrade was made. I'm effectively locked out of certain tactics and setups because I got excited over-upgrading characters in the past, and it's pretty frustrating.

@Fatal

No.

Would you expand on what tactics you think would work better with lower grade toons?

Ki-Adi-Mundi's unique is the most recent example, with the omega making his Makashi form strictly worse for his most common usage in the meta right now (under JML lead). Makashi stance is unusable against SLK or Rey, unless you can guarantee his taunt gets dispelled before SLK's next stun or Rey's whirlwind (basically just begging for the enemy AI to undo your Omega for you, and even then most of the time it's coming with extra control threat ie JTR's Mind Tricks, RH Poe's stun + dispel, KRU Halt). It's unfortunate, because the synergy between Makashi basic and Jedi lessons is fantastic.

It's also worse in LSTB, for example against Elite Dooku in Wave 4 of the Phase 3 GR Jedi mission. Activating Makashi stance forces KAM to taunt, and directs all counterattacks onto him. Due to his crit immunity in Makashi, Barriss Zeta can't heal him, GK can't taunt to help spread out the damage, and KAM gets stunned to oblivion by constant dooku counters in that stage of the fight, so he can't fend for himself either. If he didn't have the taunt, Dooku counters would spread out across the team and onto GK where Barriss can patch the damage up more consistently and have more presence.

Here's example footage of an R5 KAM with solid extra Protection modding getting killed near immediately after the choice to enter Makashi, in a team that was stable enough to continue eating Elite Dooku counters for 10 minutes after KAM died: https://youtu.be/Dj4ewiinuSY?t=1723. Discussions about misplays or reasons for battle loss aside, it's a clear demonstration of how poorly the omega works with the rest of his faction. The only way to safely use Makashi in that scenario would be to avoid getting countered as much as possible, which is pretty antithetical to what a taunter in your team should want. If I could remove that Omega, KAM's options for gameplay suddenly open up massively in that wave. Instead, I have to tiptoe around trying to not get him killed, or just avoid using Makashi altogether.

In terms of downgrading gear/relics, there are abilities that the AI targets based on which teammate has the lowest or highest combined health + protection. There are a few powerful defense setups I've theorycrafted + would love to make videos on them, but will never be able to because I upgraded those characters too much to be able to field the setup.

I know it's niche enough to probably not be worth spending man hours implementing the feature in game, but even if it were just possible to message support and to request a downgrade (not refund), it would be hugely appreciated.
    Post edited by Fatal on
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Would it ever be possible to get a downgrade system? I don't expect it to refund for balance reasons. Give it 15 warning/confirmation screens or whatever to prevent accidents, but there have been more than a few theorycrafting situations lately where I'd kill to make a character lower relic or take off an ability upgrade. If GP smurfing/sandbagging is a concern, I'd still gladly take that trade even if my GP wasn't lowered when that downgrade was made. I'm effectively locked out of certain tactics and setups because I got excited over-upgrading characters in the past, and it's pretty frustrating.

@Fatal

No.

Would you expand on what tactics you think would work better with lower grade toons?

Ki-Adi-Mundi's unique is the most recent example, with the omega making his Makashi form strictly worse for his most common usage in the meta right now (under JML lead). Makashi stance is unusable against SLK or Rey, unless you can guarantee his taunt gets dispelled before SLK's next stun or Rey's whirlwind (basically just begging for the enemy AI to undo your Omega for you, and even then most of the time it's coming with extra control threat ie JTR's Mind Tricks, RH Poe's stun + dispel, KRU Halt). It's unfortunate, because the synergy between Makashi basic and Jedi lessons is fantastic.

It's also worse in LSTB, for example against Elite Dooku in Wave 4 of the Phase 3 GR Jedi mission. Activating Makashi stance forces KAM to taunt, and directs all counterattacks onto him. Due to his crit immunity in Makashi, Barriss Zeta can't heal him, GK can't taunt to help spread out the damage, and KAM gets stunned to oblivion by constant dooku counters in that stage of the fight, so he can't fend for himself either. If he didn't have the taunt, Dooku counters would spread out across the team and onto GK where Barriss can patch the damage up more consistently and have more presence.

Here's example footage of an R5 KAM with solid extra Protection modding getting killed near immediately after the choice to enter Makashi, in a team that was stable enough to continue eating Elite Dooku counters for 10 minutes after KAM died: https://youtu.be/Dj4ewiinuSY?t=1723. Discussions about misplays or reasons for battle loss aside, it's a clear demonstration of how poorly the omega works with the rest of his faction. The only way to safely use Makashi in that scenario would be to avoid getting countered as much as possible, which is pretty antithetical to what a taunter in your team should want. If I could remove that Omega, KAM's options for gameplay suddenly open up massively in that wave. Instead, I have to tiptoe around trying to not get him killed, or just avoid using Makashi altogether.

In terms of downgrading gear/relics, there are abilities that the AI targets based on which teammate has the lowest or highest combined health + protection. There are a few powerful defense setups I've theorycrafted + would love to make videos on them, but will never be able to because I upgraded those characters too much to be able to field the setup.

I know it's niche enough to probably not be worth spending man hours implementing the feature in game, but even if it were just possible to message support and to request a downgrade (not refund), it would be hugely appreciated.

Any health/protection manipulation can be done with mods, and upgrading the rest of the team, cant it?
  • Kyno wrote: »

@Fatal

No.

Any health/protection manipulation can be done with mods, and upgrading the rest of the team, cant it?

Sometimes! And I've done it where possible. I had an L3 that could achieve higher HP + Protection than R7 Rey for purposes of R2 smokescreen targeting, and Malak was theoretically possible with a near perfect modset that I had almost obtained. %HP/%Prot secondaries had to be pristine.

Same for guarded Bossk, I had to upgrade Wat and Vandor to scale them over Bossk's lead. Sure, simple enough.

But there are certain leads/uniques that provide scaling that create dynamics that essentially boil down to "pray you never upgraded this ability, or else you must be "X" un-geared/relic'ed to proceed". And if you liked that character/already upgraded them, it's impossible.
  • Fatal wrote: »

@Fatal

No.

Sometimes! And I've done it where possible. I had an L3 that could achieve higher HP + Protection than R7 Rey for purposes of R2 smokescreen targeting, and Malak was theoretically possible with a near perfect modset that I had almost obtained. %HP/%Prot secondaries had to be pristine.

Same for guarded Bossk, I had to upgrade Wat and Vandor to scale them over Bossk's lead. Sure, simple enough.

But there are certain leads/uniques that provide scaling that create dynamics that essentially boil down to "pray you never upgraded this ability, or else you must be "X" un-geared/relic'ed to proceed". And if you liked that character/already upgraded them, it's impossible.
    And that's called consequences of choices made in a roster development game.
  • Fatal
    58 posts Member
    edited February 2021

@Fatal

No.

I agree, but I'm not sure that it's a healthy dynamic for the game for me to constantly have to second guess "is upgrading this character now going to burn me later?" in a game that's fundamentally supposed to be about upgrading things. Obviously things fall out of meta all the time, but in cases like these, making a character "better" has made my gameplay experience worse. I'm effectively locked out of using half of Ki-Adi-Mundi's kit, or fielding unique team concepts, because I invested in those characters.
  • I would love to see us be able to move zetas around like we can with mods. I have characters I don't use anymore, but have zetas. Those zetas are stuck with those characters, and we have to buy more zetas.

I've been playing almost from the beginning. I love the game, keep up the great work.

Cheers.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Hard pass.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH

@Fatal

No.

Except they've said a whole bunch of times they never want you to feel bad for progressing a character. Upgrading an ability and adding a detrimental effect as a result goes directly against what they've said they want. 5s Taunt is similar.
  • Konju
    1142 posts Member
    I really doubt CG would do that.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Sneezy3690 wrote: »
    I would love to see us be able to move zetas around like we can with mods. I have characters I don't use anymore, but have zetas. Those zetas are stuck with those characters, and we have to buy more zetas.

I've been playing almost from the beginning. I love the game, keep up the great work.

Cheers.

This has been brought up before, and not moving but the ability to remove a mod every so often has been discussed by the dev team. the general plan seems to have changed to open up the market and basically "give away" roughly 1 full zeta a year.

They are unlikely to make moving or removing zetas a thing. The general idea is to always keep things moving forward.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    StarSon wrote: »

@Fatal

No.

Except they've said a whole bunch of times they never want you to feel bad for progressing a character. Upgrading an ability and adding a detrimental effect as a result goes directly against what they've said they want. 5s Taunt is similar.

I actually think the taunt is good for KAM, and so is 5s taunt
  • Ultra wrote: »

@Fatal

No.

Full disclosure: I have no idea if KAM's taunt is good or bad. Mine will not be activated until September. Fatal feels pretty strongly about it, and I trust he knows what he's talking about.

5s taunt, though... it goes against the entire point of the team, which is to get someone that isn't 5s to die.

I'm sure there are other abilities that are better when not fully upgraded because of weird side effects like this. I don't expect they'll ever let us downgrade abilities, but I understand the desire for such a system when they keep creating abilities like that.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »

@Fatal

No.

Full disclosure: I have no idea if KAM's taunt is good or bad. Mine will not be activated until September. Fatal feels pretty strongly about it, and I trust he knows what he's talking about.

5s taunt, though... it goes against the entire point of the team, which is to get someone that isn't 5s to die.

Early on, no way. My alt had a Shaak team with no zetas for a while but they were all G8 other than my G12 Fives (for ships) and I definitely wanted him taunting.
  • TVF wrote: »

@Fatal

No.

Early on, no way. My alt had a Shaak team with no zetas for a while but they were all G8 other than my G12 Fives (for ships) and I definitely wanted him taunting.

Fair enough, though that only reinforces the desire for a downgrade system. At first, the taunt was useful, but not it is detrimental.
  • Fives has such high defense that you DO want him taunting, when he is modded right, he is very hard to kill. Essentially this makes your opponent waste fire. And because shaak lead has protection recovery on basic and fives counters, this makes it very hard to kill him. This is why the SLKR counter works (and Kylos obsession with fives.)
  • Also, fives taunt was in effect long before his sacrifice zeta rework
  • Also, fives taunt was in effect long before his sacrifice zeta rework

Yep. Just another thing that reinforces the desire for a downgrade system. When he first had his taunt, there was no reason to want someone else to die first.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Sneezy3690 wrote: »
    I would love to see us be able to move zetas around like we can with mods. I have characters I don't use anymore, but have zetas. Those zetas are stuck with those characters, and we have to buy more zetas.

Cheers.

The general idea is to always keep things moving forward.

On paper that sounds great but in practice I'm gated out of fielding one of the best possible meta defense teams right now because I zeta'ed one character and took another to high relic, and needed to not have done one or the other.

I don't expect the system to allow for refunds, I don't think it would be particularly balanced, which is why I'm asking for straight up removal as a compromise.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator

@Fatal

No.

I'm sure there are other abilities that are better when not fully upgraded because of weird side effects like this. I don't expect they'll ever let us downgrade abilities, but I understand the desire for such a system when they keep creating abilities like that.

I disagree with the idea that you want someone other than fives to die

Fives unique makes him a psuedo taunter without a taunt

If fives has no taunt, players on offense will still target fives

on offense you can just not make him taunt

Fives does get defense bonus when he's taunting so he's harder to kill when he's taunting so its better to make him taunt so that GAS stands up in time
  • Ultra wrote: »

@Fatal

No.

I disagree with the idea that you want someone other than fives to die

Fives unique makes him a psuedo taunter without a taunt

If fives has no taunt, players on offense will still target fives

on offense you can just not make him taunt

Fives does get defense bonus when he's taunting so he's harder to kill when he's taunting so its better to make him taunt so that GAS stands up in time

Yeah but to "just not make him taunt" you are completely ignoring that other ability, because you don't want him to taunt.

I know it's not a "one size fits all" type thing, but there are, as you know, plenty of situations in which you having that ability omega'd is worse than having it not omega'd.
  • StarSon wrote: »

@Fatal

No.

I'm being completely genuine and speaking from experience when I say that my 4* G8 non-unique omega KAM was stronger against SLK than my 7* R8 maxed KAM.
  • Nice i want KAM sooo bad lol
  • I think we need QoL upgrades. There have been a zillion posts with great ideas. While some/many/all have been discarded because of technical issues (I'm looking at you, preset fleet squads), I want to ask for two very simple, apparently cheap changes that would help us massively managing mods:

1) Filter mods by level. It would massively reduce the scrolliosis when upgrading mods.

2) Filter by locked/unlocked mods. I lock the useful mods so that I can mass sell the bad ones after my filtering is done. Then I have a ton of decent mods locked in the inventory, which makes you have to scroll a lot when you are managing the rest, deciding if they are worth, upgrading etc.

I would be extremely happy with just one of these two.

Actually the filter by locked/unlocked should be already kinda implemented in the code. When you go to the mass sell screen the locked mods are automatically excluded from the list. Would be neat to have the option to exclude them from the upgrade list too at will.
  • SCCH wrote: »
    I think we need QoL upgrades. There have been a zillion posts with great ideas. While some/many/all have been discarded because of technical issues (I'm looking at you, preset fleet squads), I want to ask for two very simple, apparently cheap changes that would help us massively managing mods:

1) Filter mods by level. It would massively reduce the scrolliosis when upgrading mods.

2) Filter by locked/unlocked mods. I lock the useful mods so that I can mass sell the bad ones after my filtering is done. Then I have a ton of decent mods locked in the inventory, which makes you have to scroll a lot when you are managing the rest, deciding if they are worth, upgrading etc.

Actually the filter by locked/unlocked should be already kinda implemented in the code. When you go to the mass sell screen the locked mods are automatically excluded from the list. Would be neat to have the option to exclude them from the upgrade list too at will.

The game already filters mods by level by default (rarity) sorting.

Mark as junk/sell all junk would also be an awesome addition to have alongside the lock feature alongside this other stuff.
    SCCH wrote: »
    I think we need QoL upgrades. There have been a zillion posts with great ideas. While some/many/all have been discarded because of technical issues (I'm looking at you, preset fleet squads), I want to ask for two very simple, apparently cheap changes that would help us massively managing mods:

The game already filters mods by level by default (rarity) sorting.

Mark as junk/sell all junk would also be an awesome addition to have alongside the lock feature alongside this other stuff.

Yes, but when you level up the mod it goes to the higher level tier so you have to scroll down back to the level 1 mods. There are tricks to reduce scrolliosis like filter by form, dots, color at the same time but it is still cumbersome. Having a screen showing only lvl 1 mods would massively help upgrading them. A mass upgrade tool would also be awesome of course, but since many devs said that no QoL are expected I would settle with filter by level.

Good idea regarding the mark for junk.
  • I think we should get a season 7 Ahsoka, because she isn’t who she was in season 5, and she isn’t yet who she is in rebels. I think she’s at an important stepping stone in season 7.
  • QOL idea - in the naming of future events, please avoid using anything even remotely close to "G" or "C".

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    QOL idea - in the naming of future events, please avoid using anything even remotely close to "G" or "C".

Also anything to do with legends of any kind. Legendary events and galactic legends are confusing enough.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    QOL idea - in the naming of future events, please avoid using anything even remotely close to "G" or "C".

Also anything to do with legends of any kind. Legendary events and galactic legends are confusing enough.

Are they though?
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I'm with you on this. "Conquest" was nearly "Galactic Conquest" and a few of us were like, "uh, that's a no from me, dawg."
This discussion has been closed.