Just Re-dedicating, grew GP by close to 1m and need advice. It's a long post thanks for reading!!

Elbryrwyn
26 posts Member
edited February 2021
Hi all, This is long but I'm hoping to get across exactly what's going down in my head and the game. Thanks in advance for reading :)

I could really use some advice on myriad of things, but I'll try to focus here in the interest of being concise. I've been playing SWGOH for close to 5 years. I was 45 short of GMY and had EP way before the journey events were installed. I re-dedicated myself to the game about 2 mos ago and discovered things like JG, GA TW etc. I quit the guild I was in for years and got in a really good one where I learned I need their help to get GK, Han etc etc. My GP has increased by close to 1m in the past 5-6 weeks!!! (and my bank acct took a similar sized hit lol, I was impatient after missing so much time)

Before when I played, I was used to my mmorpg dedication where I was officer/class lead/end game raider in games like SWTOR, NWO, and WoW of course though I quit that slop years ago. So I approached this game the same meaning I thought ships were...well for people who are into ship battles. It took till now to realize that it is a necessary part of the game leading into other progressions and character pick ups. And just like mmos I'm used to I played bad guys exclusively. I always do and just realizing that I need toons to get other toons. Hence GMY just sitting in my roster at lvl 1 f/e till now. My problem now is what everyone advises me against and that's trying to chase too many things at once and spreading myself to thin which causes me to spend $$ in areas that are better spent elsewhere. I.E. I spent what I needed to get the 5 toons I have now to get the last pts needed for Padme. I leveled them, geared them to find that they're still WAY too weak and that cash coulda gone to betterring JKR or something. But I'm so close I thought I could do it. Did the same with CO, CO and BSF to T2 DR. I got em to 80, semi geared and wasted that cash also. They still aren't powerful enough.

In keeping with being far behind on ships, I got my Geo's up and finally got DV's ship. Spent some cash there as well only for it to get me a LIIIILLLLL closer but still def a work in progress. My RNG sucks balls in games and at the same time it tickles my gambling bone so it is def dangerous lol. In SWTOR I'd buy crates like a ****... hoping... and RNJesus would smite me as usual haha. So here's why I'm here....

I just got JKR and finally got my DV relic'd. As I was saying I strictly played DV, PALP, CD etc until I learned how to really play so I got TFP, Tark and Thrawn finally. I had DN since way back as well. Now? My JEdia team is JKR, ****, Ezra, GMY and Jolee. Can you guys take a look at my roster please? I'd like to make an arena team with Vader lead and I'm REALLY liking BSF even though she needs work. Can you give me advice on a Sith/Empire team with Cader since he's my most powerful toon rn? Is that team better than JKR lead? I wanna get my NS team too but again...spreading myself too thin. I bought the Millenium pack which is worth EVERY PENNY but now I have so many characters that are "close" in terms of viable and I can easily get distracted chasing stuff I shouldn't. Ships? What should I do? Dv team? or EP team? Keep working on JKR? I also picked up CLS but he's way way low. A guildie told me to pick one toon and just work on mods, gear etc on one toon only. That right? I have lobster and DS and with my guild will be getting Traya and all in a couple months. I could really use direction on what to do now. I got JKR and my DV is my most powerful toon. Thanks guys! I sincerely appreciate any thoughts and advice!!! I'll link my SWGG profile below. Cheers!!
https://swgoh.gg/p/929232242/characters/

Replies

• Konju
    1142 posts Member
    I can only start this a bit, but first off I would set some goals. I use long term, mid term and short term goals to get where I want to be. I watched a ton of YouTube videos to get me going on my 1st account and that helped me immensely.

What teams do you enjoy using? Eventually if you play long enough (everyday) you’ll have all (or portions) of these teams at higher gear levels/relics. Personally, I would focus on an arena team that can get you in the top 200 or higher. If not Squad Arena, perhaps Fleet Arena can work.

What teams do you see in Arena? This definitely affects the quality of advice one can give.

What game mode do you enjoy and hope to succeed? TB, TW, GAC? This preference also affects the quality of advice one can give.

I took a year off on my alt account (almost 2.4M GP) and I struggle to get top 500 with that account now. I’m playing that account f2p so I never buy anything. What I’ve done instead of beating my head against a wall in Squad Arena is focus on my fleet. While I cannot get top 500 very often in Squad Arena, since just unlocking Negotiator I can get top 20 in fleet arena. The crystals I get there help me make further upgrades faster. I use a mashup of ships for that team, but it is my best geared characters for many. I also stretch myself thin as GAC is my character focus (since arena is “impossible” for a good bit yet).

I do agree with your friends: focus on a single team and move on after that team is performing how you would like. I used EP, Vader, Thrawn, Nihilus & CD (sub BSF for CD, she is solid) in Arena for a good while. I started using JKR, GMY, Jolee, JKA & GK in arena and in my shard it did not matter. Neither of those teams is particularly strong vs DR or GAS that I see in the 500-1000 range (though I can beat a few), but if I am facing Padme either team performs well. If I am facing Geos, I wanna use EP squad. My longer term goal for arena is SEE but only after I build up a few more characters for GAC first. I only have 1 character at relic levels that doesn’t go toward SEE.

Well this got much more in depth than I had planned, but I hope it helps. Here is my swgoh.gg for my alt so you can see what I am doing. (My name “Mr Greedy” is an inside joke as I am by far the best at donations in the guild 😂) Good luck to you!

https://swgoh.gg/p/323533964/
  • It's unfortunate that you dropped a bunch of coin before asking for advice. The smart move would've been to start over entirely. As things stand, there will be an enormous gulf between you and your PVP shardmates in terms of mods, and mods are the one thing you can't directly improve by spending.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• I notice you have no zetas. Fix that. Put on Vader's Merciless Massacre, then zeta up your JKR team. I wouldn't add more gear to your Empire team, unless you want to. The reason being, they don't get you any further in the game like other teams would by unlocking new characters and teams. Vader can already carry that team when you put on his Merciless Massacre zeta.

I would gear up your JKR team to gear 12/13. While you do that, farm up shards for Darth Revan, then gear that team and get Malak.

I think your guild should do Geo TB's? If so, I'd get the Malevolence and keep gearing up your Geo ships. That will get you higher in fleet arena.
  • Killer advice. YEah I finally got Vader to R4 but I have SO much!! I got Shak-ti, a full NS team at 80, CLS, JKR squad its easy to feel all over but I realized that a GEO team is needed. I also JUST got Nute so working them to get the last 45 shars from Padme event.
  • Elbryrwyn wrote: »
    Killer advice. YEah I finally got Vader to R4 but I have SO much!! I got Shak-ti, a full NS team at 80, CLS, JKR squad its easy to feel all over but I realized that a GEO team is needed. I also JUST got Nute so working them to get the last 45 shars from Padme event.

@Elbryrwyn If you think Vader is good now, wait until you put that MM zeta on. He turns into a monster.
    How many zeta mats do you currently have?
    Get the Geonosian Brood Alpha. He is the key piece that transforms the geos into a great team.

What are you working on right now? I would focus on gearing your fleet (I think you said you're working on a geo fleet) to get situated in fleet arena, and work on JKR to get situated in squad arena.
  • I have like 40+ish Z mats. I just got Nute and did the ability mat event. Advice on which abilities to lvl 1st? I got Nutes leader omegad. I have Dooku, SF spy and soldier :) Gearing up for my last 45 shards for Padme
  • I'm in 2 many directions haha I use some omegas like 5-8 at a time on JKR to get him that much better. I need a ton for Vader but it's on the horizon :)
  • focus, focus, focus!
    you want too much at the same time. your current arena team ( regarding to swgoh.gg profile ) has literally no synergy.

like everyone else said: set yourself goals for long, mid and short term.

and i am very sorry to say that, but spending more money on this account doesnt really make sense. unless you spend this much that you can "jump" to a GL.

but this would cost you ( at your point of the game ) a few thousands.

if you are willing to spend a few hundred bucks, forget this account, start a new one, get yourself the hyperdrive bundle and unlock JKR to climb a new arena shard very fast.
    then switch to DR Team and save gear for unlocking Malak.

this will let you stay on top quite a few months and you can join a real guild which is doing GeoTB.

then you should focus on GG + Male + Geos + Hyena and you will stay on top of Fleet Arena too.

just my opinion. But 200 or 300 bucks on your current account will get you Top 200 - not more.
    I have like 40+ish Z mats. I just got Nute and did the ability mat event. Advice on which abilities to lvl 1st? I got Nutes leader omegad. I have Dooku, SF spy and soldier :) Gearing up for my last 45 shards for Padme

Zeta Vader's Merciless Massacre now. Then get your jkr team zeta'd.
  • I got the hyperdrive bundle on this account! Lol Here's the story. I been playing this acct for 4-5 years. I had EP before the Journey as well as GMY. I played hard for the 1st year but I'm mainly or was a mmorpg, end game raider dedicated to my guild there for years. There's nothing tickling my fancy with those anymore so I came back here about 2-3 mos ago and dove in like never before. It's as if I played for the first time. I've been researching daily and picking something up every day. I actually just joined this guild and did my 1st TW and GA ever. My guild I was in never kicked me after all that time and I was advised to leave so I did. I've been putting a lot into this lately and have gotten all over a few times but I think I have it now. You think a completely new acct at lvl 1 is better than what I have here?
  • I got Padme yesterday and been focused on my Geo's/ships while working on DV and my JKR team. I was putting a little here and a little there thinking I could have a bunch of sick toons but realized it doesn't work that way. Really? Star completely over at lvl 1 with all I have here?
  • See I approached this like mmos. I thought ships were for people who like ships, Arena was for folks who pvp. I had mmorpg on the brain with this. Coming back a few mos ago I learned how everything works and getting my legs under me hopefully.
  • My main team has been EP, DV, Tark, TF and Thrawn. SHould I stick w them for arena ya think? My JKR team is JKR, ****, GMY, Ez and Jolee but I was told drop Jolee till I zeta him and go with JKA?
  • Bastilla Sham got blocked out lol
  • Don't start over. You've put too much money, effort, and time into this, and IMO this account is good.
    Elbryrwyn wrote: »
    I got Padme yesterday and been focused on my Geo's/ships while working on DV and my JKR team. I was putting a little here and a little there thinking I could have a bunch of sick toons

That seems like too much to do at once. For now, focus on Geos and JKR. Don't start Padme yet, that'll be a huge resource investment and will leech off your other farms. Save the Padme team for a little later when your JKR and Bugs teams are around gear 12 or so. Your Vader team needs no more work, although another relic or two on Vader wouldn't hurt. The important part there is getting that zeta. You'll be shocked how much that transforms him as a character.
  • Oh no I won't lvl her or her team rn. I figured while working geo's I was only 45 away so get it outta the way. I kinda learned not to spread it around. Here's a link I just studied and I went in squads and made squads in order of importance including pilots. https://starwarsthoughts.com/2021/01/10/new-and-improved-beginners-guide-for-star-wars-galaxy-of-heroes-in-2021-farm-phoenix-supreme-leader-kylo-ren/

Should I add JKA to my JKR team or keep Jolee is 1 thing. Should I rock my Empire team or JKR for arenas? I want to add BSF to my Empire team and weeks ago I'd do it. I have her at 80 but I learned pouring resources into her will only increase her a tiny bit. I'ma get my Geos ships to 85 and geared up. Start my FO team. Only one I'm missing is Hux. I had no idea I get gems from arena and fleet ranks so that's a focus for sure now.
  • So don't even rank up ANY skills needing 4-6 ability mats at all until I get the 40 for DV yeah?
  • What about ranking up abilities for ships? See my overlooking the nuts and bolts of the game for so long has me Allllllmost there with a lot. Like Geos for fleet abilities. 1 more gear box for Ashoka to be at IX, that sorta stuff I'm grappling w rn.
  • Am I trying too hard moving mods around constantly too? Purple will work eh? I keep moving a's to my pilots then back to the toons needing them for battle. I sold a bunch to work on stuff which I learned wasn't necessary but won't do that again heh
  • Larx
    371 posts Member
    You see, even by having played the game a while ago, there are so many things four you that are new.

by starting over it depends on what you want to do:
    interested in PVP?
    Yes, you should definitely start over, so you will get into a new shard without GLs all over it.
    Only interested in PVE stuff?
    no need for starting over. BUT: hardcore focus on your farming plans.

stick with your JKR Team. JKR, Bastilla, Jolee, JKA, GK.
    this team well modded will cause some trouble for other people.
    OR go for Padme:
    Padme, JKA, Ahsoka, GK, GMY

if you want to stick with sith/empire:
    EP, Vader, Thrawn, Traya, Dooku

Again: well modded and geared will bring some problem for your opponent.
    and you can focus as long term goal on SEE by gearing them.

dig into some vids on youtube about modding and how they should be sliced, etc. - this will be much faster than someone on forums can describe to you.

dont spread yourself too much. in the end it will cost you a lot of money without the result you were hoping for.

and for fleets:
    focus on GK and his Nego. you already have him and JKA reliced.
    even at 5 stars he will be better than Thrawn. try to get the GR Bomber an get Plo Koons ship ready as reinforcement. Gear 12 is enough for him.

with this lineup you wont have a problem stayin top 10

• Hey man thanks! My focus has tripled in just the past few days. I got Tier V Executrix done just now with this crap! I'm getting there. I been playing this account for almost 6 years and even though I'm just getting my legs under me I believe it's salvageable. Wait till you see this fleet. Pilots are G8-9 at best and some not 85.All modded w A5's though. I'm a decent player... I needed focus. Thanks man! er4tk4dey3m3.jpg
    So don't even rank up ANY skills needing 4-6 ability mats at all until I get the 40 for DV yeah?

Yes. Save for that zeta
  • Old_Ben12345
    399 posts Member
    edited February 2021
    Elbryrwyn wrote: »
    What about ranking up abilities for ships? See my overlooking the nuts and bolts of the game for so long has me Allllllmost there with a lot. Like Geos for fleet abilities. 1 more gear box for Ashoka to be at IX, that sorta stuff I'm grappling w rn.

For now, only upgrade abilities on Geo ships, or Galactic Republic ships, or whichever ships you're working on for fleet arena