Randomness of data disks

Prev1
Thufir
18 posts Member
Ruins the mode. Pure luck on what data disks are given and they change the game mode entirely.

Replies

• Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    So far it's been thoroughly doable to get through the mode without a crazy overpowered combo of disks, so whatever. It's fine. Just scout the upcoming disk nodes and plan out the best combo available to you.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Thufir
    18 posts Member
    I agree that it’s doable. But the fact that some players just get lucky with epic disks that grant them the ability to get way further is a weird mechanic..
  • I’ve collected 4 disks so far, and my luck up to this point has been bad (only 1 blue option and it wasn’t that great). That being said, I’m doing the same thing I did in normal: if the disk grants speed or turn meter gain, I pick it up. A few of my recent matches finished without the enemy getting a turn lol.

I guess I’m trying to say that you can make effective combos without purple.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    First they are looking at possibly making it more of a progressive thing, but still random.

Second I dont think they are going to be that drastic of a change to your run. I'm sure over time we will see players record their progress over time and I imagine the general tendency will be forward and probably not that many instances of lower progress. (Within a margin of "error", due to teams facing and other factors not related to data discs)
  • I actually removed my Massively Overpowered disc last time in favor of a more basic combo. Sure it was fun but it got in the way of feat completion and wasn't an absolute necessity.
  • Artumas
    324 posts Member
    I think it's only notable to people that aren't going to be doing hard mode.

Any GL (leader slot buff), Vader/JTR (debuffs inflict % damage, damage removes turn meter), JKR (buffs increase offense) are varied enough of notable teams to be able to effectively run a "good" team regardless of what disks you get, and are common enough of teams to anyone progressing through hard mode that it shouldn't be a notable issue.

It's an issue with lower powered players that, say, only have ONE of those teams and no GL, like only Vader or only JKR, but... I don't think it's a big enough difference unless you get exceedingly bad luck with even getting a moderate tier disk or 2. And honestly, Vader can kind of just carry most of normal mode as the only reliced character on his team, and make insanely good use of like 75% of current data disks.

I'm progressing in hard mode just fine under the "recommended" GP just with those types of teams. And as you get more and more teams, your options just increase more and more as far as what disks help out in a major way.

I DO hope we get more variety in disks in the future though, because currently there's certain ones that are absurdly good, and then others that are near useless, and there's really just not enough variety to ever make it "that" difficult of a choice if you have a solid team tier list for what you want to focus on buffing. ...especially when you get to choose between 3 disks and 2 of them are the same exact one...
  • Yes people getting multiple purple disks while others get 0 seems really unfair
  • I wouldn't mind the Randomness so much if you could SEE the choices ahead in future nodes.

Its kind of lame to pick what you think is the best of 2-3 good options of the 6, only to have that one be repeated 3x in later nodes.

• I haven't gotten good luck so far, consistently the only thing worthwhile is a speed/evasion disk except the very, very first node before we had even had a fight. That one was down to auto-defensive buffs (which comes into its own when you have cooldown-reduction disks and not before). Since I hadn't played a battle yet, I opted for Speed/Evasion. And then the other 3 data disk nodes I've run across 2 of 3 didn't have anything good EXCEPT speed/evasion. The 2nd time I bit the bullet. I figured I had space & even though I obviously didn't need it, I could stack 2 speed disks. Going fast without being overpowered is often a way to accomplish the feats, after all.

Then the 3rd time there was nothing worth it except speed/evasion, but at least this one was blue, so it was a better bonus than the others. Of course, that means that when it's time to pare down later, I'm going to want the Blue one on, not the white or green one. So I slapped on the Blue speed disk & now I have 3, generating over +15% speed.

It's really not impacting my ability to win at all, but it is frustrating & boring to have 3 of 4 disks be speed.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    It's really not impacting my ability to win at all, but it is frustrating & boring to have 3 of 4 disks be speed.
    You chose them.
  • Konju
    1142 posts Member
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    You chose them.

I think you missed the part where Seedy stated these were the only worthwhile disks they have gotten so far.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Konju wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    You chose them.

I think you missed the part where Seedy stated these were the only worthwhile disks they have gotten so far.
    Nope.
  • They should make the purple discs exclusive for the node following the boss. Give us 3 options from the purple disc pool and That takes out the randomness completely and makes sense. It’s the same thing MCOC does with incursions, finish off the boss and get rare mods
  • HJoci30
    154 posts Member
    The best discs are still the cooldown decrease ones.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Shaddess wrote: »
    Ahhh...so another troll. Good to know.

And yes he is, I ignore everything he says.
    Nope.

1) Passing up a valuable buff disc on an early node was a mistake.
    2) Chasing speed to the exclusion of other 1-dot discs is a mistake
    3) I have no confidence in MasterSeedy's assessment of which data discs are and are not valuable
  • Konju
    1142 posts Member

Me too from now on. I’ve read most of Master Seedy’s posts and offers great info. I trust their judgment for sure.
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Nope.

1) Passing up a valuable buff disc on an early node was a mistake.
    2) Chasing speed to the exclusion of other 1-dot discs is a mistake
    3) I have no confidence in MasterSeedy's assessment of which data discs are and are not valuable

Lol how did you get all of that from his message? He only once mentioned what the other options were, and we really don’t have the full context there.

What if he’s being offered the healer buff disks over and over (it’s happened to me so far)? Choosing speed over a buff for my healers is definitely the right decision. I’m sure it’s the same for him too.
  • 1) Passing up a valuable buff disc on an early node was a mistake.

It was the first node, it was a white buff disc but a green speed disk. Both are valuable but since
    1) the buff disk doesn't come into its own without a disk to reset cooldowns on buffs, its immediate use was less
    and
    2) it was white (low quality) while the green disk was, I don't know, "normal" quality on the white to purple scale?

The speed disk was an objectively reasonable choice and certainly not a mistake. Now there might be more than one objectively reasonable choice. Which is best was **subjective**, but what I chose was not a mistake and was reasonable at the time. The 3rd time I got a choice, I had other options and did choose something other than speed. But the 2nd included only 3 options where 2 out of 3 (there were only 3 because the other path wasn't data disks but consumables) were speed and one white disk that inflicted dots - which wouldn't have helped me since I was completely outracing my opponents and they weren't getting many, if any, turns. I can't remember every option available in the 4th choice, but I do remember that 4/6 were speed disks and that the only Blue disk was speed. Since that was a higher quality speed disk with more speed for the single equipped slot, I chose that. I'm sorry I can't reproduce from memory exactly what the rejected choices were on that node, but again, four out of six were speed disks. There wasn't a lot of choice to begin with. Oh, I do remember that one of the two others was a white disk that provided the leader stat buff. I chose not to grab that one because the Blue speed disk could replace my white speed disk, while it was likely that I would get a higher quality leader-stat-bonus disk later, as those disks were common in normal mode. Why take a white disk that's going to get replaced with a better version of the same thing?

So, no. The initial choice between buff disk & speed disk was not a mistake. I simply did not successfully predict the future superabundance of speed disks because I'm one of those extremely limited people who lives constrained by linear time.
  • Falco3
    60 posts Member
    I don't mind some randomness, I just wish they built in a rule that you can't have two of the same data disks in the same cache. It is nice to have a choice everytime even if it's random.

In terms of purple disks, yes they are good, but I'm currently running an all green strategy that is pretty op. Heavy buffs that reduce cooldowns, increase offense, and boost tm.
  • It is nice to have a choice everytime even if it's random.

Agreed. The times when I got 2/3 or 4/6 of the same disk (even when they sometimes differed in quality/color) were just annoying.
    all green strategy that is pretty op.

Yeah, you don't need purple disks to stomp the enemy. As near as I could tell, i didn't need any disks at all to beat Sector 1 - 3 of the 4 disks were speed and I was outrunning them by so much I think I still would have gone first even without the +20% speed. In the post-boss node at the end of S1 I got my cooldown reduction disk. S2 requires jedi teams, so I can blow through them with JKL & GMY squads and both will dish some decent buffs without the auto-defensive buff disk, so I've got a bit of time to let that one come together fully. But when it does, Vader + MM infinite loops is almost insane.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    People just want everyone to get the same best discs?

This game has RNG everywhere.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »

No. “People” want the differences narrowed.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Hahaha no.
  • TVF wrote: »

Hahaha no.

I do. Am I not people?
  • Twi
    209 posts Member

Hahaha no.

I do. Am I not people?

Hopefully not people, but a person =D
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member

Hahaha no.

I do. Am I not people?

You're person.

EDIT: argh
  • That was fun, 2 stars on a 5-star scale. And, seriously, there are people who want the upper and lower boundaries of the “RNG” to change to narrow the differences in results. Probably there are people on this forum who want to get rid of RNG. I am not one of them.

And now, after having defeated the sector 3 boss squad, I got the first purple disc. After ~20 draws in total.
  • It would be nice if they could stop the duplicate disks on the same node. It’s happened 3 times in sector one already. I get Rey might be duplicated if I have two nodes to choose from as sometimes I may not follow the route to both nodes. But my experience would be better if I could at least have multiple choices on a single node. This was disappointing after defeating a boss.

p59qx7wbpcy6.jpeg
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    It would be nice if they could stop the duplicate disks on the same node. It’s happened 3 times in sector one already. I get Rey might be duplicated if I have two nodes to choose from as sometimes I may not follow the route to both nodes. But my experience would be better if I could at least have multiple choices on a single node. This was disappointing after defeating a boss.

p59qx7wbpcy6.jpeg

They will, that is currently on the list of bugs.