No real choice between conquest paths

Zumwan
354 posts Member
I believe the idea of having branching paths on conquest was being able to select which opponents you're better prepared to deal with:
pu0qs9pp5lez.png
3t63q2xopdoe.png
cfd2sogqaqox.png
Also, one of the earlier nodes also has a very similar team.
What's the choice there? Shouldn't the devs make sure that at least 2/5 of the members of opponents in the same stage are different? If I don't have a team well-equiped to beat a Carth lead with an Ordo that attacks 10 times per turn I'm effectively stuck, and even when I'm looking ahead.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Checking.
  • i would also check if the modifiers are exactly the same. IE one has overprepped 2, the other has overprepped 3, ect
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    So, yes this is WAD, it is completely random.

Even though you have that section of nodes setup that way, which one you choose still has some effect on the path.
  • Unlucky. Those OR squads can be surprisingly painful with the event buffs.

If you can link us your roster and list the disks you have available we might be able to help you find a workable combo.
  • Zumwan
    354 posts Member
    I mean, my roster is pretty bad, I'm aware. It was probably a miracle that i made it to the second chest last time around.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/975918932/
    Only my geo squad has some chance of winning, I think. It was basically the only squad I used last time.
  • Zumwan
    354 posts Member
    My disks
    i3ztc8ub1m5f.png
    7asmlwhmool9.png
    Not much wiggle room there, as I'm only at sector 2 and don't have many disks.
    Also, I checked and those three nodes and the fourth one in adjacent to
    t1jg3c9tb5y4.png
    Have the exact same modifiers
    a7n2wtyn0o6v.png
  • That's some bad RNG my friend. I took a look at your squads; I'm not sure theres much I could do if I were you unfortunately
  • Zumwan wrote: »
    I mean, my roster is pretty bad, I'm aware. It was probably a miracle that i made it to the second chest last time around.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/975918932/
    Only my geo squad has some chance of winning, I think. It was basically the only squad I used last time.
    That roster is indeed pretty bad but at least you have found focus in your Geos and hopefully next in Galactic Republic under Padme lead.

Your Geos should be able to clear that node but you are going to need to:
    1) Wait until they are full stamina
    2) Re-mod them as best you can

Geonosian modding 101

Brood Alpha: health pool for the squad and specifically for the Brute, also usually the opener
    * Health mod set and speed mod set
    * Speed primary on the arrow
    * Health primary on the Triangle, Cross and/or Circle if you have any 6e health mods with health primary and decent speed secondary, otherwise protection primaries
    * as much secondary speed as you can muster

Soldier: TM-engine for the squad
    * 3x Crit Chance mod sets
    * Crit Chance primary on the triangle
    * For you probably protection primary on the arrow, cross and circle
    * Crit Chance secondaries wherever possible

Sun Fac: Health pool
    * 3x Health mod sets
    * Protection primaries on arrow, triangle, cross and circle
    * as much health and protection from secondaries as you can get

Poggle: Offensive crowd control
    * Potency set and for you probably 2x Health set, though normally I'd say speed for the second set
    * speed primary on the arrow
    * potency primary on cross
    * protection primaries on the triangle and circle
    * any extra potency and speed you can muster from secondaries

Spy: Damage
    * Crit Chance and Crit Damage sets
    * Offense primary on the arrow
    * Crit Damage primary on the triangle
    * Offense primary on the cross
    * Protection primary on the circle
    * as much offense, crit chance and flat protection as you can get from secondaries

• Zumwan
    354 posts Member
    Thanks for the comments!
    I redistributed my mods the best I could but I suspect I'm still far from being able to clear these levels... I even tried a couple of consumables without much success.
    The good thing is I should be able to get the first reward box with the feats...
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Keep working on those mods.

And next time keep an eye out for at least one cooling systems disk and one buff disk. More is better but you want at least one of each.

If your Brood Alpha is not getting the first move, check the available nodes for one without the 'Over Prepared' buff and see if that makes enough difference.

Unfortunately their 'Sweeping Strikes' event buff really works against your Geos and Nest is a bit tricky too, especially if you cannot land debuffs due to that event buff.

You could keep upgrading your Geos and picking away at it in-between working on other feats. You might get strong/lucky enough to clear it.
  • Kyno wrote: »

Even though you have that section of nodes setup that way, which one you choose still has some effect on the path.

They should try and make it so that you don’t see the same squad comp in the same “row” or column. Nothing against it being random but for all 3 to be the same team? Idk that shouldn’t be possible in all fairness
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    The second zeta on GBA for +10% damage with basic attacks will help as well as will that final omega on Poggle for an extra 25% offense per defeated enemy.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

They should try and make it so that you don’t see the same squad comp in the same “row” or column. Nothing against it being random but for all 3 to be the same team? Idk that shouldn’t be possible in all fairness

Yeah, I understand. The system is completely random, which is why it can happen. At this point too we have a fairly limited pool of leaders and in this case that leader has a very limited pool of teammates to select from.

I will raise the point.
  • To be fair, Kyno:

If there was a standard wall that everyone had to face, that would also be fair (and fine). but so long as it is random, if one person gets a choice of opponent, it isn't fair to have another person face nothing but that opponent.

Just like there are "gear checks" or "roster checks" in p4 of Assault Battles, if there was a non-boss fight on the way to the boss fight that everyone had to face, and it was standardized for everyone, no one got the choice to avoid it - I'm saying that situation is fine.

This is different than that. Other people did get a choice, OP didn't. So asking for multiple options here really isn't asking CG to take a policy stand against no-choice nodes. It's about CG taking a policy stand against allowing RNG to determine which players will face a no-choice node and which players will always be able to choose their favored opponent from a slate or 2 or 3.

I hope CG understands the limited nature of the suggestion.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    To be fair, Kyno:

If there was a standard wall that everyone had to face, that would also be fair (and fine). but so long as it is random, if one person gets a choice of opponent, it isn't fair to have another person face nothing but that opponent.

Just like there are "gear checks" or "roster checks" in p4 of Assault Battles, if there was a non-boss fight on the way to the boss fight that everyone had to face, and it was standardized for everyone, no one got the choice to avoid it - I'm saying that situation is fine.

This is different than that. Other people did get a choice, OP didn't. So asking for multiple options here really isn't asking CG to take a policy stand against no-choice nodes. It's about CG taking a policy stand against allowing RNG to determine which players will face a no-choice node and which players will always be able to choose their favored opponent from a slate or 2 or 3.

I hope CG understands the limited nature of the suggestion.

Interesting, because I would see completely random as the most fair. Once you start going down the road of curated paths, questions can arise about how "planned" someone's failure is.

Yes some will have better runs than others, or even themselves at a different time, but we are all subject to the same rules, which is just as fair as another setup giving each player the same path, or planned points.

I'm not sure how much they will intervene in the randomness of this setup, as one of the major points about this mode is that it is procedurally generated based on the pools of options, but as I said I will raise the point.
  • There are 93 toons with leader abilities. 4 of those are GLs, 3 more are sector bosses. That leaves 86 to choose from for purely random combat nodes. So clearly they are pulling from a limited pool.

I'm not saying we should get Plo Lead GR Jedi or anything absurdly incohesive. But I do feel like they could broaden the teams they are creating and give us more diversity in opponent selection.

I also realize this is still the Exhibition. Hopefully CG is taking some of the great feedback I've seen provided this month and improving Conquest for its next iteration.
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    gt8irw5t3i1l.jpeg
    fk5sdknn7vab.jpeg

These are my data disk options for sector 5. I finally got a data disk. But these have been my options the entire time all the way to sector 5. I have the same with enemy squads. Facing same enemies in same sectors.
  • I've also found columns where all the choices where OR with Enfys Nest. It has happened twice. It's a weird coincidence that it's the same team. Are you sure nothing is bugged?
  • Zumwan wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments!
    I redistributed my mods the best I could but I suspect I'm still far from being able to clear these levels... I even tried a couple of consumables without much success.
    The good thing is I should be able to get the first reward box with the feats...

One thing I found when I was having trouble with toons taking so many multiple bonus turns and killing most of my team was to put raid Han on the team. Stun canderous(or sabine for phoenix). It will let you have a chance that way
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    There are 93 toons with leader abilities. 4 of those are GLs, 3 more are sector bosses. That leaves 86 to choose from for purely random combat nodes. So clearly they are pulling from a limited pool.

I'm not saying we should get Plo Lead GR Jedi or anything absurdly incohesive. But I do feel like they could broaden the teams they are creating and give us more diversity in opponent selection.

I also realize this is still the Exhibition. Hopefully CG is taking some of the great feedback I've seen provided this month and improving Conquest for its next iteration.

Yeah, the primary pool is the leaders, they are not using all of them at this time. Then the limited pools of "teammates" that make sense for X leader.

They do plan on expanding/changing the pools over time, but it may take a few runs before we see changes not based on balance and fixes.
  • Interesting, because I would see completely random as the most fair. Once you start going down the road of curated paths, questions can arise about how "planned" someone's failure is.

Yeah, except they've already started going down that path. There's a planned choke point with no choice of enemy at the end of every sector. If CG decided that there needed to be 10 predetermined battles instead of 5, that's a matter of degree, not of kind.

For that reason, if **everyone** has a predetermined, no-choice battle (like everyone has the same battle to face at the end of each sector), that, too, is perfectly fair.

But if there are 3 choices for battles at a particular - I'm not sure what to call it, not a node, but vertical "slice" of all nodes that are equidistant from both end and from the beginning, so let's just call it a slice - if there are 3 choices for battles at a particular slice available for one person but only a single choice available for a few people, those few are getting a raw deal.

"Completely random, but ensuring no duplicates in a single slice" is no less fair, and arguably significantly more fair, than, "completely random, period".

My point isn't about that. I agree with that critique. My point is that a battle with a specific, predetermined enemy in the middle of a sector is no less fair than a battle with a specific, predetermined enemy at the end of a sector. If the latter is acceptable, then the former should be as well. And unless you believe that the boss fights are unacceptable and should be randomized, then its hard to see what your basis for disagreement (if any) might be.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Interesting, because I would see completely random as the most fair. Once you start going down the road of curated paths, questions can arise about how "planned" someone's failure is.

Yeah, except they've already started going down that path. There's a planned choke point with no choice of enemy at the end of every sector. If CG decided that there needed to be 10 predetermined battles instead of 5, that's a matter of degree, not of kind.

For that reason, if **everyone** has a predetermined, no-choice battle (like everyone has the same battle to face at the end of each sector), that, too, is perfectly fair.

But if there are 3 choices for battles at a particular - I'm not sure what to call it, not a node, but vertical "slice" of all nodes that are equidistant from both end and from the beginning, so let's just call it a slice - if there are 3 choices for battles at a particular slice available for one person but only a single choice available for a few people, those few are getting a raw deal.

"Completely random, but ensuring no duplicates in a single slice" is no less fair, and arguably significantly more fair, than, "completely random, period".

My point isn't about that. I agree with that critique. My point is that a battle with a specific, predetermined enemy in the middle of a sector is no less fair than a battle with a specific, predetermined enemy at the end of a sector. If the latter is acceptable, then the former should be as well. And unless you believe that the boss fights are unacceptable and should be randomized, then its hard to see what your basis for disagreement (if any) might be.

I think we agree, there are many situations that are fair, and the current setup is on that list. Which is why they may or may not make changes, as this current setup is fair to all.

As I said I will make them aware and we can all see what happens.