GC Madness Tournament: Round One

Prev1
f6t3syzvuw4f.png

Hello Holotable Heroes,

The Madness of March is well underway, and with tournament brackets being all the rage right now, we figured we would get in on the fun as well. Thirty-two selections from the first forty Galactic Challenges will square off until an ultimate champion is chosen.

There will be a total of six rounds, with each round lasting several days. In each round, Galactic Challenges will be paired off and pitted against each other to vie for your selection. The sixteen winners from the first round will then be reordered and matched up in the next round, where eight new winners will be selected. The rounds continue until only two GCs are left and one is crowned champion. While this tournament is mostly for “funsies,” it will also help give the devs a better understanding of which GCs have been your favorites so far.

Choose your preferred GCs based on the modifiers for each of the locations, player and enemy squads. Rewards and other criteria associated with a specific GC (other than the modifiers listed above) should not be factored into your choices.

Although the survey link found here is where your votes will be cast, discussion in this thread is highly encouraged. Feel free to tell us why you chose the ones you did and kindly debate as to your favorite - or not-so-favorite - Galactic Challenges.

Within the survey, you will find images of the modifiers that apply to each GC for your reference. These images can be opened in new tabs if you need to get a closer look and you’re unable to zoom in. Additionally, each of the modifiers are pictured in the spoiler section below.
ikpjexjubb2c.png
yxfvdilp9kfd.png
qzdox6vfv4ky.png
2z34bt7e4kgt.png
6ylyv43ce2zl.png
5t1znuwrqlwv.png
ocejvot1k5iy.png
ufoxdwupb5ro.png
v6j430bha9n0.png
8h7wj3ok7q0h.png
ano4efw8lrz6.png
vqm43gv95dil.png
3uirpob8hykn.png
ev7kci7iizkd.png
078t1uf9agez.png
srx80cswd1tk.png
92fa1wdkq37j.png
hjdpd7q7xb1w.png
9jg52zg047so.png
n5aad1nyend8.png
rlc571jhj4qj.png
9cs71mx8roo8.png
69ea3eshhlqm.png
8f0h93l9aefd.png
5yzfzxzw2fty.png
tefcc7ade2if.png

LINK TO SURVEY HERE.

Round One Match Ups (includes the original date, location, player and enemy factions):
av51dn8irqv9.png

Replies

• Blind prediction: something with a Rebel modifier wins
  • Praise Sigsig
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Blind prediction: something with a Rebel modifier wins

Worst modifier when enemy rebels have it
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    I'll probably be the minority that voted for Mandalorian in every round available
  • My reasoning basically is Dathomir everytime and what's not Hoth or Tatooine
  • Ultra wrote: »
    I'll probably be the minority that voted for Mandalorian in every round available
    I like “The Code” modifier the most
  • iZeta
    14 posts Member
    the best modifier is the sandstorm, just take in JKA and listen to him complain the whole time
  • I really despised the mandalorian GCs but loved the imperial trooper ones
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    AzorAhai wrote: »
    My reasoning basically is Dathomir everytime and what's not Hoth or Tatooine

Dathomir is the worst lmao

Battles can go 10 min+ getting asajj stacks high enough
  • Montanz wrote: »
    I really despised the mandalorian GCs but loved the imperial trooper ones

Same here, troopers are incredibly fun
  • My experience with galactic challenges is that they’re not challenging at all. Hard to take them seriously or put them in a category different than training droid event. Except that we need the rewards.
  • Inquilabi wrote: »
    My experience with galactic challenges is that they’re not challenging at all. Hard to take them seriously or put them in a category different than training droid event. Except that we need the rewards.

Some of the specific feats are pretty challenging, even with an end game roster
  • AzorAhai
    7 posts Member
    edited March 2021
    Ultra wrote: »

My R5 Asajj disagrees lol
    And playing other factions on Dathomir is fun too, it's not everyday you can play with revives on any team.
  • The Rebel modifier is the worst when on the enemy side of a GC.
  • Rebmes
    376 posts Member
    I thought Galactic Challenges were mostly a gear check - once you have the required characters, at decent gear levels, it's pretty easy. There have been some great ones though...
  • I preferred the Kamino modifier, and Rebel PLAYER modifier. I voted as much as poss against the GR (damage reflection), Rebel (multi-attack), or Scoundrel (dispelling all my Jedis' buffs :cry:) enemy modifiers
    My discord - BabyYoda#4470 My swgoh.gg - https://swgoh.gg/p/648565123/
  • The GC that required NS. It seems like the most sensible to assume everyone has a G11ish NS team. I like the idea that anyone should be able to get a redbox. NS was probably the best odds of that, although there may have been a better faction.
  • AzorAhai wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »

My R5 Asajj disagrees lol
    And playing other factions on Dathomir is fun too, it's not everyday you can play with revives on any team.

I viewed that as the best, as with careful modding and 14 minutes with G12 Assaj, G12 Daka, g10 zombie, g11 spirit, g11 MT, I beat the R7 Phoenix team and got a redbox.

The accessibility to most players where effort makes the difference is appreciated by the base. Lots of people probably feel the same way about JTR BB8 C3 R2 teams, although that team is far harder to access than NS
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    Empire, Empire, Imperial Troopers and Empire. I don't care for modifiers unless they can screw me over, they are more of a minor disturbance than anything else.
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • Artumas
    324 posts Member
    I think that FO vs Bounty Hunter one on... tatooine? Jakku? Where was it again?
    Was probably my overall favorite, because it was really the first one where I got to experience crazy strats to cheese the mode.

Following that, Dathomir was also fun, and nice to be able to get a max crate with a full team of sub-G12 chars.
    There was also one particular rebel vs something team that was great because you could easily just stun the entire enemy team with R2.

Meanwhile, my least enjoyed were the Resistance v something one that had a mando feat - Purely because the FO one at the time didn't have a Mando feat, which felt like more SLKR preference. As a Rey owner, it was annoying. Followed by that one Imp trooper nigh infinite loop one, because it took way longer than it should've to clear it.

Most of the other ones haven't really stood out that much to me personally.
    But yeah, I really enjoyed that first FO vs BH one with the DoT stacks, because it was legitimately engaging at the time, and optimizing my FO team for spamming KRU's stun as much as possible was fun. It was also fun having a global modifier that barely affected the player team because of KRU's lead, and kind of let you totally cheese the battle by having all the enemy chars die from 100 DoT stacks.
  • ZΞΧ wrote: »
    The Rebel modifier is the worst when on the enemy side of a GC.

It’s beautiful when you have it but OH GOD does it SUCK when the computer has it.
  • Artumas wrote: »
    I think that FO vs Bounty Hunter one on... tatooine? Jakku? Where was it again?
    Was probably my overall favorite, because it was really the first one where I got to experience crazy strats to cheese the mode.

Following that, Dathomir was also fun, and nice to be able to get a max crate with a full team of sub-G12 chars.
    There was also one particular rebel vs something team that was great because you could easily just stun the entire enemy team with R2.

Meanwhile, my least enjoyed were the Resistance v something one that had a mando feat - Purely because the FO one at the time didn't have a Mando feat, which felt like more SLKR preference. As a Rey owner, it was annoying. Followed by that one Imp trooper nigh infinite loop one, because it took way longer than it should've to clear it.

Most of the other ones haven't really stood out that much to me personally.
    But yeah, I really enjoyed that first FO vs BH one with the DoT stacks, because it was legitimately engaging at the time, and optimizing my FO team for spamming KRU's stun as much as possible was fun. It was also fun having a global modifier that barely affected the player team because of KRU's lead, and kind of let you totally cheese the battle by having all the enemy chars die from 100 DoT stacks.
    I’m going to have to test that one. The FO v BH with KRU lead.
  • The modifiers are all ok I guess, some of them don’t really make that big of a difference. But when combined with specific feats they can be a real pain.
    And when a negative global modifier doesn’t make an impact on the opponent of course you don’t enjoy it but that might just be a bug. Im looking at you Proving grounds.
  • dgree
    520 posts Member
    I don't mean to sound too negative (GC is a good thing), so I'll start positive. I like GC, *most* of the feats are probably fairly fun, and I love modding (I don't love using expensive mats to get low secondary rolls like +3 speed, and the GCs are a mix of inaccessible red boxes and very accessible red boxes (a common relic GG with trash droids can clear most droid GCs, and DR did a lot of damage in most of these events before I got SLK).

However, some of the enemy teams + powers are just simply unenjoyable, and some of the feats are total nonsense. Like, combine the crazy enemy stats and speed on some teams with weird powers/modifiers, and.... well, have you ever really enjoyed battling a boss level padme squad with that damage reflection thing? Have you also sat there for 3 minutes watching rebels crit and attack countless times in one turn like a Galactic Legend Greedo? No one likes to force close and reopen this gorgeous phone app. (All we want is mark 5 stun guns).

One thing that seems to be sorely missing is Fleet GC. Yes, fleet has been pretty stale, despite RC (cute, but not as crucial to BH fleet as XB's breach bug) and all the pilotless bombers (comedy points for slapping tank tags on starships filled with space bombs). But maybe we can at least do GC with ships, and maybe as rewards we'll get, idk, shards for a sith capital ship or something.
    Also, while I'm at it: Death Star Raid?
  • I liked this. Can't believe we've done so many already, and a creative way to gather feedback. I too voted against Steadfast Retribution every time it showed up since it just seems dumb for a modifier to me. Even though it's nice when your team gets it, I had to say no every time for the sake of consistency.

Also, why not do a "Losers bracket" as well? That would be a good way of identifying the GCs that really need another look.
  • Every time we get Safe Haven or Volatile Energies I seriously consider
    not trying at all at GC, they are just terrible and imo wreck the experience.
  • @StarDog89 yes a losers bracket would be glorious!!
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Zinbiddle wrote: »
    Every time we get Safe Haven or Volatile Energies I seriously consider

I would argue those two modifiers make GC easier for players that don't have a full relic faction squad
  • Galactic Republic modifier is the worst. Reflecting damage dealt back and then requiring particular factions is frustrating. A puzzle if we could our whole roster but with the faction specific feats it really makes it extremely annoying
  • Something with the power struggle modifier better win.
    3v3 FTW