Territory War Matchmaker

Replies

• Kurdva wrote: »
    10 ultimate Galactic legends vs 36? Ya they just set em in front and we are blocked. Your matchmaking is broken like a glass under a sledgehammer.

When we get matches like this, we set two zones of crap (so that everyone is guaranteed rewards) and then use everything else on offense to practice counters for winnable TWs and GAC.

I'm not sure what our opponent does, but that's not really my problem. They can enjoy their extra zeta mat or something...
  • To clarify, we have won many TWs against guilds with better stats, but there's a certain point where it's silly.

Our current opponent only had ~38 people sign up and has 90+ GLs. No idea whether they are sandbagging or if 25% of their guild doesn't like TW, but it's an ugly match for a us at close to full participation. We're pretty good with non-GL counters, but each one of them guts 2-4 meta squads.
  • GIJippo
    107 posts Member
    edited January 2021
    Just adding to the pile. We don't suffer as bad as other guilds in match-making. It's usually competitive, but too often still it's horrible. Already looking at what your loser rewards are going to be before the attack phase even starts is a morale killer and creates apathy/afk culture.
  • Every other TW against sandbaggers. Majority fluff accounts with 35 others with 2 or 3 GL’s a piece.
    My guild has 8 JML, 2 SEE, 5 Rey, 16 SLKR. A total of 31 GL’s

Opposing team has 23 JML, 9 SEE, 32 Rey and 29 SLKR. 93 total GL’s.

Total GP for my guild is 265.337 mil compared to theirs of 297.670 mil

Average GP for my guild is 5.3mil. There’s is 6.07mil GP with that average being dragged down by 15+ sub 4.2 mil GP rosters.

@CG_SBCrumb is this the data you guys are ok with? Do you guys not pay attention to this anymore? Are you guys that out of touch with your game or just that lazy?
  • No sandbaggers this time, but outmatched by 20 GL. 45 vs 25. How are we supposed to counter this..
  • If in GAC the matchmaking algorithm is happy putting a roster with 2 GLs against one without any GLs then it is no surprise to see TW matches that have lopsided GL numbers.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    nottenst wrote: »
    If in GAC the matchmaking algorithm is happy putting a roster with 2 GLs against one without any GLs then it is no surprise to see TW matches that have lopsided GL numbers.

The difference is that you can't control the other 49 rosters in your guild.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • kq1fzbqv01s4.jpeg
  • Zgt2nd
    3 posts Member
    edited March 2021
    2/24/21
    45/38
    160,000 to 186,000
    7 GL- 21GL
  • Zentigix
    118 posts Member
    Not accusing anyone of sandbagging. My guild doesn’t force players to sign up for TW so we often go in with around 45 players but this lol come on CG this is on you and your crappy algorithm.

Mar/05/21
    Us 44 them around 34
    Our GP 213m
    Theirs 272m

GLs 15 vs 43
    GAS 18 vs 40
    7* Wats 0 v 44

We frequently face guilds 10, 20m more GP and we usually win.. this we don’t have a chance.
  • GJO
    172 posts Member
    edited March 2021
    The fact is Tw is no fun anymore. It's just protocol.
    Our guild doesn't oblige participation, so, we go in with 40/41 ppl per tw. It's 2 hr for cleaning and the opposite side never takes more than 2 territories.

The point is, idk why ppl get penalized for participating. Matchmaking should be based on the whole guild, even for ppl who did not enter. Then it will start penalize guilds who doesn't play full, like ours.

P.S.: winning streak 30+. That's the prize you get when you don't enter 50/50.
  • Nabucco
    537 posts Member
    vdrvmvzn3sny.png
    Yeah, perfect match up: over 40m GP and 50 more GL's.
    great matchmaking, looking forward to an equal war.

Please explain this matchmaking CG?
    You gotta admit this is pure ****
  • Matchmaking should NEVER incentivize the exclusion of guildmates, yet that is exactly what the current system does. It should incentivize participation from as many members as possible, which not only seems more in line with the spirit of the game, but also more appropriate for a mode with "War" in the title.
  • nottenst
    682 posts Member
    How is this for a nice match of guilds:
    Members :: 50 vs 49
    GP :: 224.3M vs 270.5M
    Avg Arena Rank :: 340.90 vs 118.76
    Avg Fleet Rank :: 143.86 vs 106.55
    Zetas :: 4016 vs 5031
    Ults :: 6 vs 27

We had 44 join, they must have about 38 as it is 19 per territory.
  • We are regularly getting matched against guilds much stronger than us. This has been an ongoing issue since they "fixed" the Territory War match-making a year or so back. This is not fun when we rarely have a chance at winning. My guild is VIII. Our current opponent is the guild on the right in the screenshot. We've been CG'd

dgacv0lnkgcm.png

@CG_SBCrumb: This match-making system is TERRIBLE! My guild has 251.1M GP with 16 Ultimates. The guild we were matched against has 332.7M GP and 112 Ultimates. This has been the sort of match-ups we typically get since the match-making system was "fixed" in 2019 or early 2020.

We have zero chance in match-ups like this. Most members in our guild hate TW since we never have a chance matched up against much stronger guilds. PLEASE LOOK INTO THIS SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!

x7la2hddibku.png

• @CG_SBCrumb: This is broken. Over 80 Million GP difference and they have 96 more Ultimate abilities than our guild. NO FUN!!!!

Date of TW: March 9th, 2021
    Your Guild’s GP: VIII = 251.1M with 16 Ultimates
    Opposing team’s GP: ΞTΞRNΔL ALLiΔNCE = 332.7M with 112 Ultimates
    # of my guild members who joined: 47
    # of opposing guild members who joined: Unknown, 22 Squads per Territory

4ghv5ntocdvk.png

kexq2m6bmxk2.png

09bsrp1az68f.png
  • ImaSmakya
    1068 posts Member
    @CG_SBCrumb: This is broken. Over 80 Million GP difference and they have 96 more Ultimate abilities than our guild. NO FUN!!!!

Date of TW: March 9th, 2021
    Your Guild’s GP: VIII = 251.1M with 16 Ultimates
    Opposing team’s GP: ΞTΞRNΔL ALLiΔNCE = 332.7M with 112 Ultimates
    # of my guild members who joined: 47
    # of opposing guild members who joined: Unknown, 22 Squads per Territory

4ghv5ntocdvk.png

kexq2m6bmxk2.png

09bsrp1az68f.png

I think you probably have the wrong Alliance guild (there are a bunch of them I think). The one you are likely matched with is this one as you can see the E at the end of alliance matches the ingame picture.
    https://swgoh.gg/g/5846/kstksrndl-allidncks/
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • Prosser
    278 posts Member
    edited March 2021
    vble3thrv4bi.jpeg
    Yup super fair match here. Almost 80mil difference. 136 GLs vs our 47. 50% more relics, 6 dot mods, and g13s. I don't even care if they sandbagged on purpose or coincidence, this match shouldn't of happened. Absolutely horrible match-up, not even close to even.

I know some will say, "ya but they likely didn't have everyone sign up, so your gp is equal", but you will never convince me that is still a fair match. We placed 19 per zone, so they likely had 38 join. If you divide or gp by 50, our average gp is 5,240,000, but our gp divided by their 38 that joined is 6,894,736! How is that close?!?!

I do wonder though, do the devs even look at this thread anymore? Or did they give up on fixing TW matchmaking?
  • Wimma
    152 posts Member
    edited March 2021
    Prosser wrote: »
    [you will never convince me that is still a fair match. We placed 19 per zone, so they likely had 38 join. If you divide or gp by 50, our average gp is 5,240,000, but our gp divided by their 38 that joined is 6,894,736! How is that close?!?!

I do wonder though, do the devs even look at this thread anymore? Or did they give up on fixing TW matchmaking?

To your first point - Correct. You both put in the same GP, that explains the stupid match up, but doesn't say it's fair. The stats show that is a bad match up.

To your second question - I'd say No & Yes. No I don't think they do look, so Yes, they won't fix it. There's no ROI for putting time into a better algorithm to fix it, so I expect it will stay as is. Surely it would be a big improvement to just have similar sign up numbers before comparing GP?
    With the rewards of first vs second so close anyway, over time guilds will just sign up, drop some trash to get a few points, then wait for 2nd place rewards.
  • I'm just glad the rewards are close enough to not be too big of an issue, but CG.... man, you guys need to fire whomever came up with your matchmaking code, or you need to go back and add some checks to it.

There are countless mismatches every single TW... It's frankly unbelievable imo that you "don’t see any egregious issues in the data".

There are countless ways to improve the system. Some may come with their own downfalls, but it's surprising you all haven't seemed to try anything yet...

For matchmaking purposes, consider the ENTIRE guild's strength, not just those that signed up. Immediately ends sandbagging (to an extent, my guild was matched up 50 on 50 with another guild that by GP look similar, but they had 5 accounts that were all sub 1M GP, so if people really want to sandbag, there's obviously still ways to do so... not sure what you could do here admittedly). Yes, this poses the risk of "harming" a guild that didn't have full or near full participation, but wouldn't you rather make the game ENCOURAGE full player participation?

GL counter... I'm not even talking ultimate abilities here, strict GL counter alone. +/- 10% of the guild in the matchup with the lowest amount of GL.

Zeta counter. Again, +/- 10% of the smaller of the two guilds in the matchup. We were recently in a matchup against a guild that had over 500 more zeta abilities.

Relic counter. That same guild had over 1000 more relic level characters than my guild had. Like previously suggested, +/- 10% of the smaller guild's count.

This may be getting a little too extreme, but maybe even start to consider the guild's win ratio when matchmaking.

• This time the match was bad again, but our guild had the advantage this time (better GL, relic, and speed mod numbers). Our opponent has ended up only clearing the front territories and we will probably clear all but two territories. It is better to be on this side of the equation, but it does not make for an interesting event.
  • thatguy181 wrote: »
    I'm just glad the rewards are close enough to not be too big of an issue, but CG.... man, you guys need to fire whomever came up with your matchmaking code, or you need to go back and add some checks to it.

There are countless mismatches every single TW... It's frankly unbelievable imo that you "don’t see any egregious issues in the data".

There are countless ways to improve the system. Some may come with their own downfalls, but it's surprising you all haven't seemed to try anything yet...

For matchmaking purposes, consider the ENTIRE guild's strength, not just those that signed up. Immediately ends sandbagging (to an extent, my guild was matched up 50 on 50 with another guild that by GP look similar, but they had 5 accounts that were all sub 1M GP, so if people really want to sandbag, there's obviously still ways to do so... not sure what you could do here admittedly). Yes, this poses the risk of "harming" a guild that didn't have full or near full participation, but wouldn't you rather make the game ENCOURAGE full player participation?

GL counter... I'm not even talking ultimate abilities here, strict GL counter alone. +/- 10% of the guild in the matchup with the lowest amount of GL.

Zeta counter. Again, +/- 10% of the smaller of the two guilds in the matchup. We were recently in a matchup against a guild that had over 500 more zeta abilities.

Relic counter. That same guild had over 1000 more relic level characters than my guild had. Like previously suggested, +/- 10% of the smaller guild's count.

This may be getting a little too extreme, but maybe even start to consider the guild's win ratio when matchmaking.
    The solution is much simpler and has been suggested several times: match on signed up GP AND number of players.

If they do that, all the other things will be taken care of.

And the only thing worse than the current system would be matching on total GP, irrespective of how many people sign up.
  • TheAnimist
    124 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    Date of TW: 4th April 2021
    Your Guild’s GP: 248M
    Opposing team’s GP: 284M
    # of my guild members who joined: 46
    # of opposing guild members who joined: 40
    # of defence deployment slots: 20

3x R8 vs. 74x R8

Madness...

36044.jpeg
    Post edited by TheAnimist on
  • waxweazle01
    32 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    These are 3 examples of our "great" matchmaking over the past weeks. It is really suspicious that each of the 300+ mio GP guild we are facing, are always registered with exactly 40 members. I know three is not a big enough sample size but I smell a pattern here.

I can not really understand what is the purpose behind locking 10 guild members out from TW besides a win % ratio, which is not meaningful if you always destroy small(er) guilds due to (intended or not) cheating the matchmaking.

5okd425pwekp.png
    xe4uataog751.png
    ycrq9xxzbaqc.png
    Post edited by waxweazle01 on
  • Lugoj
    3 posts Member
    Date of TW: 4th April 2021
    Your Guild’s GP: 198M
    Opposing team’s GP: 267M

• Wargoat
    19 posts Member
    Working as intended. Spend more. Tw mm is a joke.
  • Trake
    148 posts Member
    CG_SBCrumb wrote: »
    Hi folks,

We are aware that some Guilds are battling in Territory Wars against higher GP Guilds with a deeper roster and can feel impossible to beat. Currently, we don’t see any egregious issues in the data but, after looking at the posts on the forums, it’s clear that we need to investigate further. Territory War Matchmaker is something we have been monitoring closely for a while but we still need to gather more info about the current situation.

I am combing through the forum for past GP mismatches for my report but I could use your help. Please post here with the following info if you have experienced a large mismatch in Guild GP during Territory War in the last couple months (last change to TW matchmaker was in March 2018):
    • Date of TW:
    • Your Guild’s GP
    • Opposing team’s GP:
    • # of my guild members who joined:
    • # of opposing guild members who joined:
    Attach any screenshots of the above info if you have them.
    Please.....for the love of God fix these matchups. This current tw they are 40 mil higher with 30+ gl’s over us. That’s insane to think that’s even close to a fair matchup. That is pretty much constant for my guild. We are 270 mil they are like 318mil.
  • Prosser
    278 posts Member
    Nice, our opponent has over 70 mil gp on us. Greeeeeeat match making :/ybh6quf94abd.jpeg