F2P help

If anyone needs tips for F2P just reply to this post with your question, I try to be as active as possible and answer as many questions as possible.

Also if anyone has tips for the new F2P players if you could post them on here it would be a lot of help to all of us.

Replies

• I could use some help. I’m at a loss with what to do, I am a returning player, I played for about a year when it first launched and haven’t played again until about 2 weeks ago. I purchased a bundle for 99 dollars to unlock a bunch of characters at 5* and some gear and am working on Phoenix to unlock the two legendaries.

After Phoenix what is a good team to work on? I almost have Vader to 7* from before I quit so was thinking of an empire team since I should have emperor palpating. I don’t know if I should try to level up a bunch of characters to help guild activities or concentrate on one team? I read a lot about making sure your in a good guild, how can I tell if the guild I’m in is good. I see the total guild power but I don’t know what’s good and what isn’t?
    Gold is a constant issue between mods and leveling toons up, is there a way to farm it?

I’d appreciate any suggestions on where to go, sorry about all the different questions I’m just a bit confused on what to do next. Thanks in advance.

• Darth_Tomsteros2707
    275 posts Member
    edited March 2021
    https://swgoh.gg/p/583519113/
    What would be the best route here? Thinking about jkr and dr
  • Jacksmackk wrote: »
    I could use some help. I’m at a loss with what to do, I am a returning player, I played for about a year when it first launched and haven’t played again until about 2 weeks ago. I purchased a bundle for 99 dollars to unlock a bunch of characters at 5* and some gear and am working on Phoenix to unlock the two legendaries.

After Phoenix what is a good team to work on? I almost have Vader to 7* from before I quit so was thinking of an empire team since I should have emperor palpating. I don’t know if I should try to level up a bunch of characters to help guild activities or concentrate on one team? I read a lot about making sure your in a good guild, how can I tell if the guild I’m in is good. I see the total guild power but I don’t know what’s good and what isn’t?
    Gold is a constant issue between mods and leveling toons up, is there a way to farm it?

I’d appreciate any suggestions on where to go, sorry about all the different questions I’m just a bit confused on what to do next. Thanks in advance.
    Ah the credit (gold) crunch. Best way to get that is just wait for heist and doing War. After Pheonix, build up Empire is always a good way to go. You could go after the revans, honestly it's up to you though. If you want help joining a good guild you could dm me and I'll help you.

Don't be sorry! It's understandable. Let me know if you need help.
    “But you know what I always say: Speak softly and drive a big tank.”
  • @Jacksmackk

There are a lot of ideas about which way to go, but there's no doubt that the Geos are a good early squad to get, because they are excellent in fleet and give you access to Padmé (the same way Phoenix gives you access to Palp/Thrawn).

But the most important thing is to go beyond just asking "what's my next priority" and actually create a plan that works for you - the plan should have separate items for each different type of battle and each different store, so every time you get some energy or open a tab in shipments you know exactly what you're looking for.

Otherwise you'll find that, say, Phoenix + Geonosians doesn't tell you what to do with your fleet energy, since there are no Phoenix toons or Geonosian toons on Fleet Battles nodes.

If you poke around in the advice for other new players, you can see the types of plans I'm talking about. They might look like this:
    Cantina Energy:
    1. Geonosian Brood Alpha = 5* (meaning take it only to 5 stars before moving down to the next item on the list)
    2. Geonasian Spy => 5*
    3. Geonsian Soldier => 5*
    4. GBA => 7* (or just leaving the goal off entirely, when there's no obvious stopping point listed like "5*" it's just assumed you carry it through til it's finished)
    5. Spy => 7*

etc.

Usually shard & blueprint farming plans are designed to last a couple months, but not too much longer because new toons get released or new-ish toons reach the point of being a year old and their nodes start dropping double shards, etc. Like, when Moff Gideon moves to double drops, you might suddenly send him to the top of your priority list because he's better than other toons you could be farming, but you have so much you need to farm that players might put him off until he gets the double drops (no need to single-drop farm him if you can get him with less effort by just waiting a month).

So the plan can't be so rigid that it doesn't allow you to take advantage of new opportunities, but it has to see far enough into the future that you don't find yourself getting constantly distracted, because changing what you're farming too often is a sure way to never finish anything and that will end up hurting your play quite a lot.

If you poke around & look at those other plans written for other people but still don't feel like you can come up with a plan on your own, you can always pop back in here (or put your own thread up) and ask for help with whatever areas you have questions about.
  • https://swgoh.gg/p/583519113/

Well I would recommend finishing up thrawn as empire is a very good attacking team early on for arena and GAC. After that (or start doing now) definelty work on jkr or dr especially if you already want to.

I recommend going for JKR, DR, DM because of their synergy. Empire is always a good team, Probably even better now with dark Troopers. Once you have a good empire team and Revan/Malak team start farming for SEE because he is the easiest legendary to get and he has synergy with both of those teams. For now keep grinding the characters you have and you should end up with a great couple of teams.
  • @darth_tomsteros2707:

It's too soon to go directly for either one, but working on Bastila & Jolee & Bastila (Fallen) is good long-term strategy.

The most important thing to do right now is probably to improve Fleet so you can take advantage of the nodes you're going to need and so you don't miss any opportunities to farm zetas when the Zeta challenge becomes available at level 78.

I would put all your GW currency to purchasing ships. The plan would be something like:

GW Store:
    1. Create a bank of 3,000 GW tokens (requires 2.5 days)
    2. Spend any tokens on Sun Fac's Starfighter (uncommon ship)
    3. Spend any tokens above 2,000 on Imperial TIE (rare ship)
    4. Spend any tokens above 3,000 on Geonosian Spy
    5. Spend any tokens above 3,000 on Geonosian Soldier

You can farm all of these ships at the same time, and the priorities will take care of themselves since you have a currency reserve to make sure you can always buy Sun Fac's ship when it comes up and can almost always buy Imp TIE when it comes up.

I imagine you're farming KRU & TIE Silencer right now. That's a fine way to go. However, you should not continue farming that node after the Silencer reaches 5* ... at least not for now.

If you're not farming KRU/Silencer or as soon as you get to 5* on Silencer, you should put your Cantina energy to farming Spy (first) and Soldier (second). These will help get you Padmé as well as helping you with the zeta challenge and with your goals in Fleet.

A comprehensive plan would be good for you, probably, but you'd have to let us know what you're currently farming with each energy type and what your goals are. If they're just to get powerful as quickly as possible, that's fine, we can work with that. But if there's something more (like if you want to be good in your favorite game mode) you should tell us that extra information (e.g. which game mode) so that our plan is relevant to what you consider fun.
  • Ah one thing it's "War" not Galactic. :D
    I could use some help. I’m at a loss with what to do, I am a returning player, I played for about a year when it first launched and haven’t played again until about 2 weeks ago. I purchased a bundle for 99 dollars to unlock a bunch of characters at 5* and some gear and am working on Phoenix to unlock the two legendaries.

Credits

Sell mods you don't need, do challenges, get some scoundrels for credit heist.

Character farming

After Phoenix you should defenitly get a good empire team. after you get your empire team go for either Padme/Jedi Knight Revan, both characters are worth it.

Guilds

A good guild to get into is one with active players that are donating frequently. Another good guild is one that does event (such as pit raids).

Mods

Get through mod battles asap, because mod challenges are the easiest way to get good useful mods, but it also gives you a lot of trash mods you can sell and use the money to level up good ones.

There is no need for an apology, we are all here to help each other out, thank you for asking your question.
    I finished all my mod battles and my phoenix is at g8 to get me thrawn 7*
    I am farming shards for jkr and gear with my normal energy and t3 and spy with cantina energy. I get boba from the cantina store, dengar from the guild store, ships from the ship and the galactic war store and hk from the arena store. I am hoarding the yellow currency for malak. I will try to get malak geos and empire below 1.3mil since i want to be really good in ga. My fleet consists of 2 geos and tie fighter since sun fac is pretty rare.
    I am farming shards for jkr and gear with my normal energy and t3 and spy with cantina energy. I get boba from the cantina store, dengar from the guild store, ships from the ship and the galactic war store and hk from the arena store. I am hoarding the yellow currency for malak. I will try to get malak geos and empire below 1.3mil since i want to be really good in ga. My fleet consists of 2 geos and tie fighter since sun fac is pretty rare.

Btw I couldn't beat Thrawn t7 with a g8 (I tried, many times) I had to get ezra up to g10 and the rest were at g8. Im sure you can do it with them all at g8 but you would need god mods.

Btw I couldn't beat Thrawn t7 with a g8 (I tried, many times) I had to get ezra up to g10 and the rest were at g8. Im sure you can do it with them all at g8 but you would need god mods.

Same, I had to get Ezra and Zeb up to gear 9 before I could beat him.
  • For me the key toon was Kanan.

Kanan, bulked up, can easily survive Thrawn's fracture. While Thrawn is fracturing someone he takes himself out of the fight and your other toons can beat up on anyone else, then attack Thrawn when Fracture ends (to avoid counter-attacks)

For Kanan, forget speed and go entirely for survivability in your mods.

I know different people are telling you different things, so you can choose which way to go yourself, but my strategy was Ezra at high g8/ low g9, with Kanan at high-g8 + every survivability mod I could find.

Then I switched mods around until Ezra was 200+ speed using a speed set with an offense or crit damage triangle and generally going for offense primary & secondaries where possible, Chopper was 180+ with a speed set and something else, not sure what, but probably survivability, Hera was 195+ with a speed set and otherwise going for survivability. Zeb was something a lot less. Can't remember for sure, but about 150-160 with every protection mod I could give him that wasn't already on Kanan. Better mods are possible, of course, but when I completed the event you couldn't slice mods yet so it was pretty hard to get high speed mods. You don't need Kanan to be slow, by the way, it's just that his main job is to suck up the Fracture so having a high speed won't help him much.

When the Kanan & Zeb mods conflicted, I gave the faster ones to Zeb & the ones with more health/defense secondaries to Kanan.

I ended up completing the event with either everyone g8 or with Ezra barely g9 and everyone else g8. If you can hit those speed targets with your best mods, you should be able to get things done.

Once I got the mods right & the basic strategy (hold dispels to remove taunts, let Thrawn Fracture, kill the death troopers, then go back to attacking Thrawn after the death troopers were gone & Fracture was over), it was just a matter of repeating the event until Thrawn chose the right character to fracture (Kanan, obviously) and Thrawn didn't get so lucky with his crits that Kanan died right away (which ends Fracture prematurely, so Thrawn is back in the fight more quickly). I guess part of it is also stretching out p3 so you can recover cooldowns & passively heal as much as possible because going into p4 with your specials on cooldown or with Kanan down a bunch of protection is definitely going to result in a loss at those gear levels.

Hope that helps!
  • Thank you all so much for the comments! I’m definitely taking the fleet advise. I can’t do events because I don’t have 6 dark side ships. I did get EP and thrawn, only 6 star so far, he’s tough at 7. And got my first xata ability on Vader. I already had genosian soldier at 7 stars but he was the only one gen I had. I’m gonna follow the advise above about beating thrawn on tier 7. Thanks again for the advise I truly appreciate the time you all have taken to help us returning and new players!
    Thank you all so much for the comments! I’m definitely taking the fleet advise. I can’t do events because I don’t have 6 dark side ships. I did get EP and thrawn, only 6 star so far, he’s tough at 7. And got my first xata ability on Vader. I already had genosian soldier at 7 stars but he was the only one gen I had. I’m gonna follow the advise above about beating thrawn on tier 7. Thanks again for the advise I truly appreciate the time you all have taken to help us returning and new players!

No problem, we are all hear to help each other out. Have fun with the game, I wish you luck on getting 7* Thrawn.
  • Sasja
    12 posts Member
    @Jacksmackk

If you poke around in the advice for other new players, you can see the types of plans I'm talking about. They might look like this:
    Cantina Energy:
    1. Geonosian Brood Alpha = 5* (meaning take it only to 5 stars before moving down to the next item on the list)
    2. Geonasian Spy => 5*

etc.

I’ve been looking for something like this, but I haven’t found it yet - the newbie advice all seems to be loud YouTube videos or very broad gesturing filled with incomprehensible slang :-D Help me out, where should I poke? Thanks!
  • Sasja
    12 posts Member
    Oh, and in case you want to be my personal hero: https://swgoh.gg/p/679213884/
    I’ve only just started out, still haven’t unlocked most content, and been farming for Phoenix - so whatever you suggest for me will most likely be helpful to a lot of other players.
  • Sasja wrote: »
    I’ve only just started out, still haven’t unlocked most content, and been farming for Phoenix - so whatever you suggest for me will most likely be helpful to a lot of other players.

Definitely keep up the phoenix farming, once you get them all unlocked (Hera, Ezra, Kanan, Chopper, Zeb) you should go for separatist (Nute Gunray, Count Dooku, IG-100 MagnaGuard, Geo Soldier(until you can go after Geo Spy) Asajj Ventress), that will give you phoenix for light side battles and seps for dark.
    If you want a more in depth farming guild or have questions about this send me a message.
    May the force forever grant you power.
  • One more thing is don't give into temptation, you have a lot of characters that are weak and useless at the beginning of the game, don't wast your credits or ability points on them. When you reach level 50 and start getting into mods don't be like me and try to upgrade all of them to max, your going to want to get into the mod challenges and focus on a specific mod, sell all of the ones you don't need.
    Choosing a Galactic Hero is also important. When your in the early F2P game you shouldn't have your eyes set on a Galactic Legend (GML, Ray, SLKR, SEE) instead focus on a GH (Revan, Padme, ect.).
    There is a very long road ahead for new F2P players, if you need help message me through my profile, or if everyone wants I can post my recommended steps on here.
    Have fun, Good luck, and May the force forever grant you power.
  • Sasja
    12 posts Member
    Sasja wrote: »

Definitely keep up the phoenix farming, once you get them all unlocked (Hera, Ezra, Kanan, Chopper, Zeb) you should go for separatist (Nute Gunray, Count Dooku, IG-100 MagnaGuard, Geo Soldier(until you can go after Geo Spy) Asajj Ventress), that will give you phoenix for light side battles and seps for dark.
    If you want a more in depth farming guild or have questions about this send me a message.
    May the force forever grant you power.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this! I was actually thinking of goin empire next with the muscle of palatine and thrawn unlocked by my Phoenix team together with Darth Vader from achievements and GMT plus tie fighter pilot. I think that will get me a lot of payoff out of my original investment in the Phoenix. But maybe I’m overlooking something? Enlighten me, please :smile:

One more thing is don't give into temptation, you have a lot of characters that are weak and useless at the beginning of the game, don't wast your credits or ability points on them. When you reach level 50 and start getting into mods don't be like me and try to upgrade all of them to max, your going to want to get into the mod challenges and focus on a specific mod, sell all of the ones you don't need.
    Choosing a Galactic Hero is also important. When your in the early F2P game you shouldn't have your eyes set on a Galactic Legend (GML, Ray, SLKR, SEE) instead focus on a GH (Revan, Padme, ect.).
    There is a very long road ahead for new F2P players, if you need help message me through my profile, or if everyone wants I can post my recommended steps on here.
    Have fun, Good luck, and May the force forever grant you power.

Thanks! Please do the step by step, that’s gonna be a help to all ftp that comes by.
  • @Sasja

You are at level 43 right now. You should definitely save literally every single Galactic War token you earn between now and level 60. Then when you hit level 60, ships will become available in the GW Store and you can follow this plan, except you will have already have completed Step 1 while waiting for level 60:
    GW Store:
    1. Create a bank of 3,000 GW tokens (requires 2.5 days)
    2. Spend any tokens on Sun Fac's Starfighter (uncommon ship)
    3. Spend any tokens above 2,000 on Imperial TIE (rare ship)
    4. Spend any tokens above 3,000 on Geonosian Spy
    5. Spend any tokens above 3,000 on Geonosian Soldier

I cannot impress upon you how much this will help you. It is very hard to advance in Squad Arena without spending money - which, of course, you're free to do, but my advice isn't around spending money. However Fleet Arena is much easier to conquer, and provides almost as many crystals. to the people who succeed there.

Crystals are the key to advancing through the game quickly, and Fleet Arena is the easiest source of crystals to build up to high levels. To advance in Fleet Arena requires ships, and everyone who is not spending cash money will start with pathetically poor ships at level 60. But you can build that Galactic War Token bank so that while others are spending 400-1200 GW Tokens per day, you've got thousands to quickly build your fleet to an early lead.

While many ships are available here, the only full-faction that has good synergy that is available here is the Geonosians. So that's where you focus your energy.

Meanwhile, as much as everyone loves to promote Phoenix, and as much as you do need them relatively early in the game, you don't need them THIS early. The purpose for Phoenix is to gain Thrawn and Palpatine - and for the two Jedi in Phoenix (Ezra & Kanan) to assist in your quest for Grand Master Yoda. But neither Thrawn nor Palp hits his stride until at least level 78, and realistically not until you can place your first couple zetas at level 82. So if you have a 7-star Phoenix squad at level 80, you're doing fine. If you have it before then that's nice, but it won't help you nearly as much as the Geo squad will help you in Fleet Arena - and, due to the crystal income, in roster development.

This means that at level 43 you should be pouring every single bit of Cantina Energy into ships generally and Geonosians specifically. While some people think you should be getting Kylo Ren Unmasked and his ship TIE Silencer (on the same Cantina node) my advice is to go for Geonosians first. I would also alternate between Geonosian Spy and Geonosian Soldier (the only 2 Geonosian pilots available on Cantina nodes) to make sure you have both at least somewhat ready at level 60.

If it were my account, I would do this:
    Cantina Energy
    1. Geonosian Soldier until you reach level 46 (the first level Spy's node is available)
    2. Geonosian Spy until 4*
    3. Geonosian Soldier => 4*
    4. Spy => 5*
    5. KRU + TIE Silencer until TIE Silencer hits 3*
    6. Soldier => 5*
    7. Spy => 6*
    8. TIE Silencer to 4* (this also increases KRU, probably to 5* but don't worry about that)
    9. Ezra => 5*
    10. Soldier => 6*
    11. Spy => 7*
    12. Soldier => 7*
    13. KRU => 7*
    14. Hera => 5*
    15. Ezra => 7*
    16. TIE Silencer => 6*
    17. Hera => 7*

This is a lot of steps, but the farming goes quickly for everything but TIE Silencer, and even that goes fairly quickly with all the bonus energy for going up levels.

Now, you'll get other advice. Some people, like I said, are strong believers in Phoenix first. That's fine. That's a strategy that has value. I don't think it's as good as this strategy or I wouldn't recommend it, but there are arguments to be made on both sides.

Because of that, you might be confused as to which plan to follow. In fact, that's bound to happen at some point - if not with my Phoenix advice, then maybe with prioritizing KRU after Spy & Soldier, and if not with that, then with some other decision.

WHEN THAT HAPPENS, always, always, always make the decision between two good pieces of advice by asking yourself the question, "Which sounds more fun?"

The people here will only give you the advice that they think is best for developing your roster and accomplishing goals. No one is going to give you bad advice. But they can't give you advice on what's the most fun because everyone is different. Remember that this is a game, and if you're not having fun, there's no point in playing.

• DarthCreator111
    45 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    Yes, Empire is a powerful team, but there isn't really a use for them past R2D2 where as if you go for Seps that will get you Padme sooner.
    It all comes down to one thing, what GH are you going after, is light side or dark side going to help you get them, choose your favorite learn the requirements and go for those requirements first.
    If I'm doing the in depth review I'm going through everything from the very beginning. (This is where having a YouTube channel would come in handy.)
  • What's the best way to get Piett shards as a F2P? Since the double shard drop his node hasn't been doubled so it's 1 shard at a time... I have everything needed to G12 him but he's only at 4* so far (as compared to the rest of my G13 empire team)
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    BLACKWING wrote: »
    What's the best way to get Piett shards as a F2P? Since the double shard drop his node hasn't been doubled so it's 1 shard at a time... I have everything needed to G12 him but he's only at 4* so far (as compared to the rest of my G13 empire team)

Refreshes are the only (and best/most cost-efficient) way to speed things up. Depending on you crystal income. I did up to the 100 refresh (so just the 50’s), fwiw
    Maybe End Game isn't for you

I would:
    Definitley gear up your Empire team. Vader to at least 12.
    Farm stars for your Geos and then gear them after empire and get Padme. Or instead get jkr and then darth revan
  • [
    Gifafi wrote: »
    What's the best way to get Piett shards as a F2P? Since the double shard drop his node hasn't been doubled so it's 1 shard at a time... I have everything needed to G12 him but he's only at 4* so far (as compared to the rest of my G13 empire team)

Refreshes are the only (and best/most cost-efficient) way to speed things up. Depending on you crystal income. I did up to the 100 refresh (so just the 50’s), fwiw

Ah, thanks. That's what I do every day now, but only doing the 25 crystal refresh (will take longer yeah but spending 50 without a guarantee of over 1 shard is uhhhhh)
    From what I understand, buying shards from shipments is really cost inefficient
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited April 2021
    [
    Gifafi wrote: »

Ah, thanks. That's what I do every day now, but only doing the 25 crystal refresh (will take longer yeah but spending 50 without a guarantee of over 1 shard is uhhhhh)
    From what I understand, buying shards from shipments is really cost inefficient

Correct, buying shards directly is a time saver, but not cost effective.
  • MasterSeedy
    4992 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    Blackwing:

Kylo has you covered on the principle, but if you want the math:
    The drop rate per attempt is about 30% to 33%. The exact amount has never been confirmed. Most people consider it 33%, and I agree that's most likely, but since you never know is you'll get bad luck I try to plan only for a 30% drop rate. If I get more than that, it's excellent. If I get less, well, if the real rate is 33% then I have to get significantly less to stay below 30% for the entirety of a 330 shard (1000~ish attempt) farm.

So let's keep it 30% for these calculations.

30% of 5 attempts = 1.5
    If you spend 25 crystals for another 5, you spend 25 crystals/1.5 shards = 16.666 crystals per shard.

If you spend 25 crystals for 5 attempts **and** 50 crystals for the energy to do the attempts, that equals 75 crystals/1.5 shards = 50 crystals per shard.

If you spend 50 crystals for yet another 5 attempts (#11-15 on the day), 50/1.5 = 33.333 crystals per shard
    If you spend 50 crystals for the attempts + 50 crystals for the energy, 100/1.5 = 66.666 crystals per shard

So the actual results will vary day to day, but the max you could possibly spend per shard over the long haul is 66.666 crystals per shard if you are paying for a 2nd node refresh and the energy to complete those attempts.

In Shipments, however, purchasing Piett shards directly costs 80 crystals per shard.

So if you're farming more than 15 attempts per day, you're doing it wrong. You should just be farming 15 attempts per day and buying the rest from shipments.

But if you're farming 15 attempts or less per day, that's always cheaper (at least in the long run) than purchasing from shipments.

So farm 5, 10, or 15 attempts per day with no worries, depending on how quickly you need the toon!