Need help with Fleet Arena please.

Korban
100 posts Member
Guys, I'm getting owned in Fleet Arena by ships, with half the stars than mine. Mine ships are also mostly fully upgraded.

I can't defeat the tank ships I'm pitted out against (though I have the same decked out Razors Tooth from Bossk which gets destroyed almost right away, and I can't kill opponent's Razorz Tooth at all)

For some reason their ships come out with extra protection buff (icon) and extra protection health - purple line on top of other two health lines. Mine ships do not.

Does anyone have any idea why their ships are so strong? Do crew (character) mods and their ability levels have an affect on ship strength?

I can't even beat First mission on Normal 5 (or last mission on Hard 4). What is a good ship combo?

Please check my profile, I'd appreciate any comments: https://swgoh.gg/p/265587195/

Replies

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Wedge's reinforcement ability inflicts healing immunity and buff immunity on the target which is great against HT.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    And yes, crew power affects ship power. Upgrading your crew members is essential.

The actual stats of their mods have no effect on shop power but mod level/tier has an effect.
  • Korban
    100 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »
    And yes, crew power affects ship power. Upgrading your crew members is essential.

The actual stats of their mods have no effect on shop power but mod level/tier has an effect.

What about their abilities? Should I try to max them out? And gear level, does it matter?
  • Yes. In fact, until the pilots are g11 you can’t max most ship abilities.

But g13 pilots will make a ship much more powerful than g11 pilots. And pilots with maxed abilities will perform better than pilots without.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    You don't have any bugs but FWIW the three bug ships and HT carried me through the entire fleet table.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • As it stands right now, I would suggest changing to Tarkin Capital instead of Mace, and keep in mind that your JKA fighter can inflict Buff Immunity on it’s AOE.
    Wait for the opposing Hound’s Tooth to activate the Taunt (since it has increased tenacity while not taunting, and you REALLY want that buff immunity to land), then use that attack.
    this will (most often) give you one full round to focus fire down the Hound’s Tooth (since it won’t be getting the purple protection up each time you hit it, and it will self cleanse all of it’s debuffs the next time it uses a basic attack).
  • Korban
    100 posts Member
    Thank you for the comments guys.

What exactly is that "purple protection" health line? Where does it come from?
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Korban wrote: »

"Trandoshan Barricade" - the Hounds tooth gets 25% protection up everytime its hit. JKA's aoe targeted on HT can buff-block HT, preventing that bonus protection.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Korban
    100 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

"Trandoshan Barricade" - the Hounds tooth gets 25% protection up everytime its hit. JKA's aoe targeted on HT can buff-block HT, preventing that bonus protection.

and JKA is? ))
  • JKA = Jedi Knight Anakin His ETA-2 Fighter is found in the first row of Fleet Hard Nodes
  • Also, give this Gaming Fans article a good read (or 3)

It tells you all the ways a Ship is affected by the stats of the Pilot.

Mods, Abilities, Level, Stars, Gear, etc etc.
  • @Schwartzring

I can't find the link in that comment.

@ Korban

Your strategies are also hurting you. Phantom II has one of the best couple of reinforcement abilities in the game, but you have Phantom II in your starting lineup.

You need to dump gear into Bossk - like a TON of gear - and then put HT in your starting lineup and Phantom in your reinforcements.

I further notice that your Capital Ships are all upgraded approximately equally. You need to put all your Prestige into a single capital ship until it's maxed and use that.

Executrix is a decent capital ship, but not the best of the 3 you have...except it has the most power & speed because its fleet commander is g12. Home 1 is the best of the 3 you have, but it's in the worst shape because its fleet commander is the worst geared.

You need to make some choices. Either go all in on Rebels by throwing gear at Bossk, Ackbar & Phoenix, or you need to go all in on Geonosians, Vulture & Hyena, throwing shards and gear at 5 ships and the three Geonosian pilots. Whichever you choose, you have to devote ALL your prestige to developing a single capital ship - either Home 1 if you go Rebels, or Executrix if you go Geonosians + droids.
  • Korban
    100 posts Member
    Than you for great points, MasterSpeedy.

I'm not using HomeOne, because Empire's Executrix has the best geared Admiral (Tarkin).
    I do want to go all rebel, but I don't know if ships like HT, Slave-1, etc - count as "rebels". It reads "DarkSide" affiliation on them.

Can I use empire's Executrix with rebel fighters, though? At least for now?
  • CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    Your average fleet rank is 4th? It can't be that bad...
  • Schwartzring
    1402 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    Sorry guys, guess I didn't hit paste for the link, DOH.

https://gaming-fans.com/2018/05/17/swgoh-understanding-ships-crew-power-in-galaxy-of-heroes/

Korban, as MS said, Home-1 is the "Better" Capital Ship v/s Executrix.

But, to truly make rebels shine you need Han's Falcon.

I would suggest investing heavily in Executrix "UNTIL" you can pass the final Tier of the Executrix Fleet Ability Mats challenge.

The Zetas there are critical to the game so I'd push Darkside Ships & Exec till you get that final tier unlocked & on SIM.

In my opinion, the best Darkside Ships to use are those that serve other purposes later on in the game.....

3x GEO Bug Ships = Needed for DS Geo Battles. (Soldier, Spy, SunFac)
    4x Bounty Hunter Ships = Needed for Han's Falcon (3 also needed for Finalizer) (Bossk, Cad, Boba, & IG)
    3x First Order Ships = Needed for Finalizer (KRU, FO TIE, K-Shuttle)
    1x Empire Ship = Needed for Finalizer (Vader's TAx1)

Outside of the above 11 ships, the only really easy & common ship that many use is IMP TIE.
    Its not used for anything else but its a solid easy ship to get for early empire.

Finally, the "Crewless" Ships are all super useful since they don't require gear for a pilot.
    3x Crewless = TIE Bomber, Hyena Bomber, Vulture Fighter.

So at the end game level, those 11+1+3 = 15 Ships are to me all just about "Mandatory". (Emp TIE Optional)
    Getting them all open is something you should want to do.

Once you pass the Final Tier of the Exec challenge then you can stop investing "Prestige" into it & work on Home-1 w/ Prestige.

For Home-1 / Rebels fleet you'll want to open with Hounds Tooth, Han's Falcon, & then either the Rebel Y-Wing, ****'s X-Wing, or, Bistan's U-Wing.
    FIRST Reinforcement should almost always be Phantom-II (Sometimes Cassian)
    There are 8 Rebel ships & between them & Hounds Tooth you should be able to form a solid 7 ship fleet for Home-1.

Finally, as for Endurance, I wouldn't bother investing anything in it for "Prestige" till you are getting ready to farm for GAS and then I'd look at if you have Negotiator. If you have Negotiator by then then you can skip Endurance entirely. If not then you'll need to Max out both GalRep ships in the long run over a couple years.

• Korban
    100 posts Member
    Holy ****, this is crazy and gonna take me forever, since I "upped" HomeOne and rebel ships a bit today.

What a great post, though 👌
  • @CHFC22
    Your average fleet rank is 4th? It can't be that bad...

It's not, but they're complaining about PvE in the text of the OP even if the title of the OP is about Arena, and, of course, there are things the OP doesn't understand about how ships work that are getting in the way of success, so eventually it WILL matter in Arena if they don't get things sorted now. The OP is smart to recognize that t hey didn't understand why they were losing to ships that looked at first glance to be less capable & then use the forums to help them understand what was happening & how they could counter it.

I strongly respect someone who can actually admit that they don't know something & then ask a good question. From the high Fleet Arena rank I suspect that this person has to be on a new shard, which means that they were almost certainly spending money to get an early boost, which is what is responsible for their high rank. They could have kept throwing money at the problem, but instead they're educating themselves. I like that.

@Korban

Schwartzring is giving you a good plan with good information. You're earning a ton of extra crystals per day with your Arena rank. I hope that every single day you're buying 3x 50 crystal refreshes of regular energy (which gives you +360 energy for your farms every day) and 1x 100 crystal refresh of Cantina energy (+120 energy).

This will come very close to doubling your ability to farm things with both types of energy. The speed with which you can farm things is going to be incredibly important to your level of success.

As for how to go about getting the resources to do the things that Schwartzring suggested, well, the Galactic War store is key. So you want to do something like this:

FIRST: save up 2,000 GW Tokens (the green emeralds) and NEVER spend below 2,000 except for your highest priority. This is necessary because some ships are rare, and if you spend your tokens on what's available, then when the rare ships show up you'll be slapping your forehead that you're out of tokens and are missing your opportunity to buy them.

THEN buy the following ships in this priority order - only buy the top priority with your 2,000 bank, and only buy the next priority down with anything over 2,000.
    1. Sun Fac's Geonosian Starfighter
    2. Geo Spy's Starfighter & Geo Soldier's Starfighter (simultaneously & equal priority)
    3. Imperial TIE Fighter
    4. Ahsoka's Jedi Starfighter
    5. First Order TIE
    6. Clone Sergeant's ARC-170

The only sticking point here is that FO TIE and Clone Sergeant's ARC-170 are both rare, so when you get far enough down the list to be working on those 2 at the same time, you might build up a much bigger bank than 2,000. If you hit 5,000, start spending on pretty much any other ship (all the rest are common, the rares are all on this list) until you're back down to about 3500 or 4000. If it goes about 5k, spend again, but when you're going after multiple rare things, you will have to keep a bigger bank than 2k, just in case. This is especially true with FO TIE which I'm calling rare, but is actually more common than the 3 "rare" ships (Sun Fac, IMP TIE & Clone Sergeant) but a lot less common than ships like Geo Spy or Ahsoka. The point is you still need a bank for FO TIE to make sure you have currency when it pops up, but you're more likely to get a run of several FO TIE appearances in a row than you were to get several Sun Fac appearances in a row at the beginning.

Please remember, this is something you MUST do in the GW Store ***even if you're going Rebels for your fleet***. This is not because those ships are rebels, but because the dark side ships are necessary for certain missions, as Schwartzring has already helpfully explained.

Now, a couple questions you had.
    I do want to go all rebel, but I don't know if ships like HT, Slave-1, etc - count as "rebels". It reads "DarkSide" affiliation on them.

The Bounty Hunter ships do not count as rebels, but they are required for you to get Han's Millennium Falcon - the best rebel ship in the game. So if you want to go Rebels, you have to go all in on BH to complete your rebel fleet.

Of course, you also have to get Chewbacca, which is a special event character the way that Han's Falcon is a special event ship. Fortunately for you, BH ships are required for the Falcon event, while BH toons are required to get Chewie himself. So a lot of your work is going to overlap.

Now, in addition to their usefulness in the Falcon event, one of the BH ships - Bossk's Hound's Tooth - is literally the best tank in the game. Even when you're otherwise running full rebels, you want a great HT ship in your lineup.

So even if you intend to go all out on a Rebel fleet, you need a maxed out HT & Bossk to go with that fleet, a medium-good Xanadu Blood + Cad Bane and Slave 1 + Boba, and a 7* but not upgraded IG-2000 + IG-88.

I would have gotten those for you in the GW store if I could, but they're not there...other than the Cad Bane character. So those priorities are going to be farmed with regular energy (mostly) + some fleet store purchases and maybe even a bit of Fleet Energy (for Slave 1).

I can put together the nodes you need to farm to get those different priorities later, but I have things to do just now.

• Oops forgot your other question (& comment):
    I'm not using HomeOne, because Empire's Executrix has the best geared Admiral (Tarkin).

The people who have been helping you know that. We're not saying you made a bad choice at the time. We're just saying that with 2 equally geared Fleet Commanders one of these ships is better than the other. That one is Home-1.

You will need to make complicated judgements about when to switch from a ship with less potential but more current power (Executrix) to the ship with more potential but less current power (Home-1). When to do that will be based on when & how much you can increase Ackbar's gear, which Rebel ships you have available, which Empire or Geonosian ships you have available, etc.

It won't be easy, but people will be here to help.

Can I use empire's Executrix with rebel fighters, though? At least for now?

Of course! But if you read the kits, Home-1 provides special bonuses for Rebel fighters, and Han's Millennium Falcon gains special benefits if its capital ship is of the Rebel faction (and right now Home-1 is the only Rebel Capital ship, though maybe someday we'll get an even better one).

Likewise, Executrix provides special bonuses to Empire ships. You were wondering how ships that look less capable are beating you? It's because they're carefully choosing which ships to put together on the same battlefield to take maximum advantage of that synergy.

You can use anything with anything, but the synergies make it much more effective to use certain things with certain other things. These synergy bonuses can get swamped if one ship is completely terrible because its pilot & crew have far too little gear (the way that Home-1's bonuses are overwhelmed by the difference in gear between your g12 Tarkin & g8 Home-1), but they still matter.

Other people are beating you with less gear and fewer ship upgrades because they're taking maximum advantage of those synergies. You're maintaining a high fleet rank based on raw power rather than clever strategy. Listen to the people in this thread and you'll be able to pair good strategy with your already high power and become unstoppable.
  • Korban wrote: »
    Holy ****, this is crazy and gonna take me forever, since I "upped" HomeOne and rebel ships a bit today.

What a great post, though 👌

Here is the thing, you don't need ALL 15 of those ships, RIGHT NOW.

For the Fleet Mats (Exec) Mission, the final tier calls for, 5-6? DS Fighters. Not 7, only 5-6, I forget.

You don't need to have the most amazing ships, just 5-6 decent ones to pass that mission.

For me, it was KRU-Silencer, Vader-TAx1, Boba-Slave1, Imp TIE, FO TIE, I think. So maybe its only 5.

These days w/ GEO Alpha making all Geos useful the GEO Ships are an even BETTER way to go.

KRU-Silencer is super easy to get so he's a solid 4th.

In the end you'll want them all on the list above (Maybe not IMP TIE, but is still super easy to get)

For now just look at your 5 best DS ships off that list above & keep pushing them.

Get the Zeta Mats challenge maxed & then focus on which of the DS ships help you the most in your continued advancement.

One thing MS mentioned is WHERE to get certain ships.

That is a critical thing to know, as this game is all about "Efficiency" and you want to not waste your time.

For example:
    Poggle can be found in several places......

Bronziums at 2 or 80 shards for free.
    G-War Event at 2 shards a pop for free.

The G-War Store at 10 shards a pop.
    Gold Energy Level 4 for 12 Energy

Gold Energy Level 6 for 16 Energy (This node also has IG-2000)

You really NEVER want to get him from the middle 2 and you should only actively farm him from the 1 at the bottom w/ the ship you also NEED. The first 2 are Free & are a great supplement but it will likely take forever & you still need IG-2000 so you'll be on that node for a good 6 months or more to max that ship.

I use this example but you can also look at it in terms of some ships.

Use that same "Save 2000" method over in the Fleet Store as well as the G-War that MS Mentioned.

You want to always have some currency for when RARE spawns happen (Slave-1, TIE Adv-x1, & Sun's Ship)

So focus on buying those 3 ships only unless you have a LOT of the coins saved up.

If you get 5K or so then buy the other 2 GEO ships to speed along those farms, but always keep 2K so you can grab several of the RARE spawns if they happen at the same time or back to back.
  • Korban
    100 posts Member
    Guys, is it aviable solution to get a rebel tank ****? Biggs x-wing or ARC-170 ?

Or is HT the best? (I'm reluctant to drop so many resources on Bossk)
  • Biggs without Hound's Tooth is only viable with Vader + Anakin, since he absolutely requires repeated infliction of target lock, and Vader + Anakin are the only ones who inflict Target Lock on every basic, no evasion, no resistance. Even then he's not that great, but he works. The problem there is that you have to give up all the Home 1 synergy of putting together a Rebel fleet under Ackbar, Either you're running non-rebels under Ackbar, or you're not running Ackbar at all. When Biggs works, it's not because he has a super-high defense and resists damage, like TIE Bomber or Hyena. It's because he takes damage but he's constantly healing it. Running Biggs under another Fleet Commander reduces that healing and makes him easy prey.

Now, Biggs + Han's Falcon is viable, and is ultimately much better than Biggs+Anakin+Vader.

HOWEVER, you can't get the Falcon without the Hound's Tooth,. Nor can you get the Finalizer or Raddus without the Hound's Tooth. Which means you can't get JML, SLKR, or Rey without the Hound's Tooth.

Since you have to have 7* HT for those events & characters, getting him up to stars to qualify but leaving Bossk ungeared is a waste of quite a lot of effort, and only requires gearing up other pilots even more. HT is the best tank in the game, after all, and to complete those events without HT means completing them without a good tank.

You don't want to gear Bossk, I get it, but if you don't gear Bossk you end up spending a lot more gear on other characters, and you still have to get all the same shards for the best tank in the game.

No one is going to force you to gear Bossk, and if gearing BOssk makes the game less fun for you, then forget Bossk. This is a game, after all, and one with infinite things to do - or at least years worth of things.

The purpose of this game is fun, not winning. So if anyone, including me, gives you advice that makes the game less fun, just ignore it.

But winning is fun too, for most people, and getting those characters can be fun. Soloing the HSTR is fun. You will be giving things up if you don't collect Bossk & HT, and you will be giving things up -- or at least making things much harder -- if you don't gear Bossk.

All we can do is tell you what kinds of things work in the game, but you have to decide what makes the game fun, and choose that.
  • Houndstooth is unfortunately critical.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Guys, is it aviable solution to get a rebel tank ****? Biggs x-wing or ARC-170 ?

Or is HT the best? (I'm reluctant to drop so many resources on Bossk)

HT is required for unlocking Han's Falcon which you will want eventually. Bossk makes legendary Chewbacca's event much easier and does well in other game modes. The resources spent on HT and Bossk won't be wasted as long as you don't gear up Bossk past what gets the job done.

Biggs' X-wing isn't bad at all in a rebel fleet but HT and Y-wing are better and more versatile.