Please fix GAC Div 1 matchmaking

Prev1
c08mds
posts Member
edited April 2021
@CG_Doja_Fett is there anyway CG can fix the GAC division 1 match making? I keep getting matched against players with almost one million GP on me. This round for instance was matched against some one with 3 GL’s. Love playing the game but this really sucks the fun out of it.
4mzyrfusqbik.png
t3uj9tbjomgi.png

Replies

• You need to show more than those screenshots for the matchmaking to be analysed.

Ally code of you & your opponent?
  • You’ve got 62 g13 toons, 60 of them are r5 or higher. I don’t know about your opponent, but even in the screenshot shown they have more g13 toons below r5 than you do in total.

Taking toons to r5 and beyond massively inflates your matchmaking GP, but you’re not getting the GL that usually goes with it.

R7 JTR and BB8 are adding a ton of GP, but without the rest of the requirements for Rey, they’re not really worth it.

Your top 65 GP is 85k below mine (1.8m v 1.885m), and at the weekend I’ll unlock my 4th GL.
  • BadunkAdunk
    87 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    I agree OP. Today facing two maxed out GLs in 3v3 at almost 1 mil more GP with just a dinky G12 SLKR to my name. These matchups aren't fair, or any fun. I'm going to get clobbered and there's no way around it.

Me: https://swgoh.gg/p/818936382/

Opponent: https://swgoh.gg/p/396163918/
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    I am the 3 GL vs 1 GL guy quite often. But then again I have a G11 Traya rather than a R6 Traya.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • BadunkAdunk
    87 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    Yeah I do have that, but you should try getting to the top of squad arena without a GL or a decent Traya these days. Not sure that's possible. She brings in the xtals.
  • DarjeloSalas
    9944 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    Yeah I do have that, but you should try getting to the top of squad arena without a GL or a decent Traya these days. Not sure that's possible. She brings in the xtals.
    I haven’t used Traya in arena since the JKR meta, and take 1st every day.

• BadunkAdunk
    87 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    Yeah but you have a GL. I don't (not a relic one anyway, finally close). Reread what I wrote there.
  • You’ll be fine. Your mods are miles better than his. Just keep your SLKR for offence in case he sets SEE.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Yeah but you have a GL. I don't (not a relic one anyway, finally close). Reread what I wrote there.

You would have been way better off taking a while longer to get a GL than doing an R6 Traya.
  • BadunkAdunk
    87 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    Well thanks for the vote of confidence. May the RNG be with us.
  • BadunkAdunk
    87 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    TVF wrote: »

You would have been way better off taking a while longer to get a GL than doing an R6 Traya.

I don't think so. I started from zero First Order or Resistance when the GLs were released so the farm took forever, and Traya has been crucial to defeating JML and SEE teams while working up SLKR.

Also seems you're underrating Traya, she's all over the top 100 in my shard. I see her in SLKR teams and SEE teams on the regular, and since those are the two GLs I'm working on, it makes a lot of sense for my roster. Maybe not for yours, but I have no regrets.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Don't complain about matchmaking then.
  • BadunkAdunk
    87 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    O...K...? Cranking up the relic on Traya didn't affect my Kylo farm at all and boosted my squad arena results. The extent to which it along with all the other relics are affecting Grand Arena matchups is a different story and is part of the issue here. And it's not like the matchups would be much different if my Traya was G11, so I'm not clear why you're hung up on that - I don't think CG's intention with introducing GLs was that you specifically should not relic Traya. There's probably a dozen other worthwhile relics I don't have. So what's your point?
    Post edited by BadunkAdunk on
  • waxweazle01
    32 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    No reason to get mad. What TVF is saying is, that matchmaking is determined by the top 60/80 character power. So if someone with the same Top 80 GP as you already has two legends, it simply means that you are "investing" that GP in other chars. So he questioned if Traya was the right choice, you said "yes"... we could continue with other chars but to make it simple... you have probably built other teams much better than your opponent. The decision who to built up was up to you. In the end he has two legends and nothing more

19h5e1kve9if.png
  • BadunkAdunk
    87 posts Member
    edited April 2021

isn't the same thing you are saying.

When CG changed the algorithm, they said they were doing it because they didn't want to punish people for how they'd built their rosters. But as you just showed, that's exactly what's happening here. Chances of succeeding against a GL w/o having one yourself are low, especially in 3v3, so it often doesn't matter much what else the opponent is working with, which is frequently considerable around 6 mil GP. You're forced to bloat your roster in the first place to even unlock a GL. My success rate was great until I geared up the First Order, then dropped precipitously, and only seems to have devolved further since moving into division 1. I understand the algorithm, I just don't like it much since GLs were introduced.
  • You’re misunderstanding their intentions.

The original matchmaking algorithm punished people who had made irreversible decisions building their rosters. When they switched it to considering the top X toons, people could always manoeuvre a poor gearing decision out of their matchmaking GP.

As for “bloating” your GP to unlock a GL, remember that all GL owners have done this. They will have several less than stellar toons in their top X.

And you aren’t forced to bloat your GP - several people hoard all the gear etc until they’re ready to meet all the requirements. This way their GP never has the bloat without the GL benefit.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

isn't the same thing you are saying.

When CG changed the algorithm, they said they were doing it because they didn't want to punish people for how they'd built their rosters.

You must have misunderstood back then. The official announcement said that there were too many blowouts with the matchmaking by total roster/character GP. That's why they changed it to matching the GP of the top few teams eligible for a round. They never said that it shouldn't matter how you build your roster.
  • I don't think I'm misunderstanding those intentions, just making a comparison between then and now. But that algorithm was reworked before the existence of GLs and the dynamics of GAC have changed a lot since then.

I did a lot of hoarding up until the point of unlocking SLKR. My mistake was not hoarding all of his gear too before activating the First Order, so "forced" is really the wrong word. But I feel like the need to hoard is an outgrowth of the matchmaking problem in the first place. Did CG really intend for people to be making spreadsheets and spending months on months collecting before using a single piece of gear or relic mat? It seems antithetical to what they said back then about not punishing people with more spread out rosters, even if that was a different situation.
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    Rule #1: Don't take TVF too serious in forums, most of the time he's not helpful at all. To be fair he can be but this time he's not.
    I'm with you on the matchmaking, it's getting worse and worse and without a rework of the whole system we're having way too many people in one bracket. They need to do something and the earlier the better. The problem is that they probably don't work on any changes yet or may not even have a plan to do so.
    Right now the only thing we can do is to make them hear our voice so don't stop that.
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Kisakee wrote: »
    Rule #1: Don't take TVF too serious in forums, most of the time he's not helpful at all. To be fair he can be but this time he's not.

Helpful does not always mean 100% agreement. Sometimes it's point out the mistakes people have made. Whether they choose to learn from them or not is up to them.

You made your choices too. Your "voice" on this matter is irrelevant, because they're not changing anything. If you care, fix your roster.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    I don't think I'm misunderstanding those intentions, just making a comparison between then and now. But that algorithm was reworked before the existence of GLs and the dynamics of GAC have changed a lot since then.

I am quite sure that CG still intend to reward building a strong roster and acquiring the newest META characters before your opponents. It's not good business not to.

Before GL were released people complained about GAS and Malak. There were always complaints from a few people who struggled with the latest META. That part didn't change.
    I did a lot of hoarding up until the point of unlocking SLKR. My mistake was not hoarding all of his gear too before activating the First Order, so "forced" is really the wrong word. But I feel like the need to hoard is an outgrowth of the matchmaking problem in the first place. Did CG really intend for people to be making spreadsheets and spending months on months collecting before using a single piece of gear or relic mat? It seems antithetical to what they said back then about not punishing people with more spread out rosters, even if that was a different situation.

A spread out roster and a roster with several characters at R7 that would have done the job with less relics/gear are two different things. Matchmaking doesn't punish you for spreading out and gearing up the bottom part of your roster.
  • Right, but all of the relics I've gained since GL release are either geared towards taking out a GL, or building them myself. The excess baggage is from not hoarding all of SLKR's gear before putting relics on the First Order. My Chewie and 5s are still too weak to be much help against SLKR in 3v3, my GG is at R4, and there are plenty of important relics I am still ignoring. I realize, as I said before, that this is a different situation than what caused them to alter the algorithm in the first place. I've spread out the the top of my roster far enough so as to render GAC impossible in the attempt to gain a GL. This was CG's intention? It may well have been, but if so I just don't care for it.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    So far as I can see their only intention was to better empower players to control their own matchmaking experience by managing their roster development.

Some players have managed it better than others. It's not rocket science and you don't have to take it to extremes to do well but you do have to pay attention to it.
  • Their intention seems to have been to better empower players to control their own matchmaking, which they then undid to a degree by making hoarding essential to success. This hoarding, by the way, would effectively be impossible without an unofficial website like .gg.

My wins are about to increase since SLKR is almost there. I will still think matchmaking is broken after that. Not looking forward to the SEE hoard, but at least I won't repeat the same mistake next time.
  • I didn’t hoard when farming Rey requirements, or SLKR requirements, or JKL requirements, or JML requirements, or SEE requirements (I’ll unlock him on Sunday) and have made Kyber every time during the whole process.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Their intention seems to have been to better empower players to control their own matchmaking, which they then undid to a degree by making hoarding essential to success. This hoarding, by the way, would effectively be impossible without an unofficial website like .gg.

My wins are about to increase since SLKR is almost there. I will still think matchmaking is broken after that. Not looking forward to the SEE hoard, but at least I won't repeat the same mistake next time.

Being selective in gearing chars and hoarding for gl-unlock to r7 (ideally) isn’t less essential to success.

*That’s how* we are empowered to control our own matchmaking. That’s literally it.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you

The original matchmaking algorithm punished people who had made irreversible decisions building their rosters. When they switched it to considering the top X toons, people could always manoeuvre a poor gearing decision out of their matchmaking GP.

As for “bloating” your GP to unlock a GL, remember that all GL owners have done this. They will have several less than stellar toons in their top X.

And you aren’t forced to bloat your GP - several people hoard all the gear etc until they’re ready to meet all the requirements. This way their GP never has the bloat without the GL benefit.
    I didn’t hoard when farming Rey requirements, or SLKR requirements, or JKL requirements, or JML requirements, or SEE requirements (I’ll unlock him on Sunday) and have made Kyber every time during the whole process.

So which is it Darjelo? To hoard or not to hoard? Seems you've recommended both.
  • BadunkAdunk
    87 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    Gifafi wrote: »
    Their intention seems to have been to better empower players to control their own matchmaking, which they then undid to a degree by making hoarding essential to success. This hoarding, by the way, would effectively be impossible without an unofficial website like .gg.

Being selective in gearing chars and hoarding for gl-unlock to r7 (ideally) isn’t less essential to success.

*That’s how* we are empowered to control our own matchmaking. That’s literally it.

We are empowered to control our own matchmaking through referring to a third party website not affiliated with CG?

I also don't know what you're arguing since I said those things *are* essential to success.

I didn’t hoard when farming Rey requirements, or SLKR requirements, or JKL requirements, or JML requirements, or SEE requirements (I’ll unlock him on Sunday) and have made Kyber every time during the whole process.

So which is it Darjelo? To hoard or not to hoard? Seems you've recommended both.

I’m not recommending anything, just letting you know there are options. Some people hoard and it helps them get better matchups. Other people don’t hoard and are able to reach Kyber anyway.
  • BadunkAdunk
    87 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    Well file me under the former category. I'm sure we're having markedly different experiences with the GP difference between us anyway. Your perspective is fair enough, but it's not going to change how I feel about matchmaking until they do something to assuage the hoard. Leveling a bunch of scrubs up to R3-R7 is not a boon on your GAC chances, so I don't really see a way around it. And if hoarding is what CG intended, they should have provided some sort of gear checklist in-game.
    Post edited by BadunkAdunk on