Modding tanks

Hi I was wondering what is better to prioritize when modding a tanky character and choosing between these two, health and defense. If I am correct health is the amount of damage your character can take before dying while defense reduces damage taken. Which one should be prioritized more? Is one better than the other and if so why?

Replies

• Depends on which character
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Depends on which character

Let's say KRU and Mace.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Let's say KRU and Mace.

For Mace, i heard he needs CD primary on the triangle
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    ChiefBlade wrote: »
    Hi I was wondering what is better to prioritize when modding a tanky character and choosing between these two, health and defense. If I am correct health is the amount of damage your character can take before dying while defense reduces damage taken. Which one should be prioritized more? Is one better than the other and if so why?

In early game protection and health are more important than defense imo.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • It can be specific to each character, but as a general rule you want protection primaries with defense sets.

If you want to get into things more in depth, I'll do a little self promotion and send you here:

https://youtu.be/aV78I-ABhAI
  • TVF wrote: »

Let's say KRU and Mace.

On KRU, I'd do tons of health although other people may do it differently
  • is8yvppyb55p.jpeg
    That’s your KRU
  • is8yvppyb55p.jpeg
    That’s your KRU

I have not been using him lately, also I did remod for my bounty hunters on rebel roundup
  • https://swgoh.gg/p/148795469/characters/?f=Bounty+Hunter

Please stop - it’s fine to have 1.5M GP, but you shouldn’t be offering advice on things you don’t know anything about.
  • https://swgoh.gg/p/148795469/characters/?f=Bounty+Hunter

Please stop - it’s fine to have 1.5M GP, but you shouldn’t be offering advice on things you don’t know anything about.

I know what works for me so I am giving advice and my profile is not updated

• TVF
    36519 posts Member
    https://swgoh.gg/p/148795469/characters/?f=Bounty+Hunter

I know what works for me

But does it
  • Not one of your BH has a complete set of mods right now in game.

Not even your r5 Vader or g12 Palpatine does.

Please stop giving modding advice.

• Not one of your BH has a complete set of mods right now in game.

I do daily remods my friend, I know how to mod
  • Ok. You’re just choosing to have incomplete or no mods at all on pretty much your entire roster?

I’m not sure why you’re being dishonest about these things, or your good DS Geo roster that gets 4/4, or your 2 minute discord account that’s been bombarding the recruitment servers on discord for several days. I just hope people who read your “advice” give it some scrutiny before they act on it.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    This account needs a warning label
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Not one of your BH has a complete set of mods right now in game.

that why you have no credits to premote?
  • CCyrilS wrote: »

Because I spend my credits on mods
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    CCyrilS wrote: »

Do you ever put the good ones on?
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member

Do you ever put the good ones on?
    That would require knowing what males a mod good.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    I just want to know who’s getting the speed cross with no speed. Once it’s leveled up, of course.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Arva
    80 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    to go back to the original question about tanks: the answer is, it rly depends how the kit of said tank looks, what team he is used in etc (lets take GK as a example: in padme, he needs health on everything, whereas, if you use him with JKR, protection and speed are more important)
    For the ones you specified: mace is just bad, doesnt matter how you mod him, he wont do you any good. but he isnt a "tank" as he has no taunt mechanics, so modding him for tankyness is actually not helping, so he would kinda need offensive mods.
    KRU is a interesting character, becouse there is actually quite a few ways to mod him: firstly, his kit scales with health, not protection, so if you have the choice, you should use health primarys over protection primarys. But then, he also crits alot, and some of his heals, is also based on the dmg he does, so using a critdmg cross, doesnt sound too bad either. then, his healing means, he cant have healing immunity on him, so getting tenacity suddenly also looks very appealing.
    and now think about the fact, that all thoose stats i listed, do compete with each other in terms of mod sets, primary stats on crosses and triangles. and you get to the point, where you just have to decide, whats more important for the way YOU use the character.

Also if you are looking for general advice how to mod a specific character, i can recommend looking here: https://swgoh.gg/stats/mod-meta-report/

p.s.: dont listen to anakins master, he will lead you down a road you rly shouldnt follow
  • @Arva .. that last comment.. my friend.. is absolute genius!! (the younglings need to know!!)
  • Salatious_Scrum
    2309 posts Member
    edited December 2021
    There are several ways you can mod tanks, a lot of which heavily depends on who is the leader. Characters like General Kenobi or KRU really benefit from having a high health pool; General Kenobi due to him usually run under Padme or JMK and KRU due to his health regen. Others like Stormtrooper benefit more from running all defense mods with protection primaries due to his unique ability.

Each tank would need to be approached separately so there really isn’t a blanket modset recommendation for all tanks.

As @Arva mentioned, the swgoh meta report is the best place to view the most popular mods on characters, but even that can inaccurate for some characters (Royal Guard for example)
  • LordGrahck
    344 posts Member
    edited December 2021
    When it comes to modding tanks, I have a certain number of different loadouts that I regularly use based upon the tank's skill set. However, there are certain universal standards that I look for.

1) sets: I typically use a mixture of health & defense mods. However, sometimes I'll toss in some tenacity mods as well. Bossk, for example, is modded with tenacity and defense mods.

2) Mastery bonuses: Depending on the tank's mastery bonuses, I'll look for specific primaries for the arrow. For example, JTR's mastery gives her high crit avoidance and dodge. As a result, I put a crit avoidance arrow on her instead of a speed, protection, or defense arrow that one might expect. When I partner her with Wat tambor, she becomes a very effective taunting tank with his defense upgrade, and she rarely gets hit due to her high dodge, crit avoidance, and foresight.

3) Autotaunt & speed: Another thing I look for is if the tank autotaunts or not, and what their base speed is. If they autotaunt, then I usually give them a much higher speed than if they don't. Kanan and Old Ben, for example, are ones that I mod for low speed because I have to reapply their taunts instead of them autotaunting. The theory being that the lower the speed, the longer they keep taunt up.

4) Offensive capabilities: Some tanks work better in other roles, such as an attacker. Sometimes, a toon is used regularly as an attacker but is actually a tank. JTR is one such character. She's a tank, but works nicely as an attacker. I often have her modded with an offense set to go with her defense mods in order for her to hit hard when I need her to, but still have the survivability I need for her to have.

5) Unexpected tanks: Some characters have the tank trait, but shouldn't have it. They don't taunt, have very little in the way of tm removal, have low health and/or protection, or lack other properties that most tanks possess, but are still labeled as tanks. Mace Windu is one. I've found that when partnered with Shaak Ti or R2D2 and placed under a Bastila Shan lead, he becomes an effective taunting tank. Shaak Ti forces him to taunt because he has the Tank trait, and R2D2 can target him with his smoke screen, and puts everyone else but Mace Windu under stealth. In fact, I have a B-grade Jedi team based on this premise that I use in GAC: Bastila Shan, Mace Windu, GMY, R2D2, and Ezra.

In short, there's no clean cut one or two ways to mod a tank. Each one is unique. There are some consistencies among them, but always be ready to think outside the box when modding your tanks.
    Post edited by LordGrahck on