Guys, how do you find best mods?

Korban
100 posts Member
I tried tons of mods challenges, to the point my mailbox gets full. But hardly any worth to keep.

The upgraded mod shop? First of all, it's expensive, and second of all - is the trick to keep refreshing every 15 crystals, to the point of stumbling on a good one? :(

Replies

• TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Farm as many mods as you can. Don't buy any from the store until you have leveled most of your toons and ships and can build up a surplus of credits.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • DaarthBrewer
    1954 posts Member
    The store is a lousy place to acquire mods. LOUSY. That said, if you see a mod with a good primary, 5 speed secondary and other secondaries that make sense, AND you can afford it, buy it. But don't count on the RNG to actually hit the speed. Echoing TVF, farm them, 3 refreshes per day.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Korban
    100 posts Member
    So I do the mod challenges, and then upgrade the Grey's to see the stats?

Or doing only keep greys that have primary Stat? Like Speed mode with a speed primary?
  • KorAgaz
    105 posts Member
    edited May 2021
    There are videos out there, but they're mostly about managing mod upgrades. I personally don't bother with Es and level the rest to 12, if they got a speed secondary. Then, if speed is at least 10, I go all the way (there are some exceptions to this, for specific purpose mods).

There's some ever so minor chance of getting good upgrades with slicing, but I wouldn't count on it. For 5-dots, better slice mods that have at least one more stat you want or have a stat combo you want.

In truth, there's no system or method, it's pure luck. Thus, the more you farm, the more you get.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    First you have to know what makes a good mod.
  • Snowbird13
    460 posts Member
    Just to thin the herd, I sell all grey left side mods, and green with no speed secondaries. Left side are by far the most common, so selling them gets rid of a lot of junk. Right side, i go by if it had the primary I want, then upgrade up to a level that shows all the secondaries. Im just speculating, but if you're asking this question, speed secondary should be your focus. Arrows, I have speed primary on 98% of my toons. Nest, droideka, gas, and sometimes fives are the only notable exceptions.
  • DaarthBrewer
    1954 posts Member
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

This series will help explain.. There's several vids.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPKsVWqlG6E&t=5s
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Korban wrote: »
    So I do the mod challenges, and then upgrade the Grey's to see the stats?

Or doing only keep greys that have primary Stat? Like Speed mode with a speed primary?

You need to set up your own system for which mods you upgrade. If you're looking for speed secondaries you could upgrade/slice every mod with a speed secondary and suitable set/primary Stat until speed fails to upgrade a set number of times. You could also only upgrade mods with high initial secondary speed. Just examples. You need to set up your own system.

I checked your mods on swgoh.gg and I saw that you have several mods that I would definately slice further myself (and some that I wouldn't have).
  • RTS
    682 posts Member
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

This series will help explain.. There's several vids.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPKsVWqlG6E&t=5s

100% agree here - Fatal's guide to mods is what got my to understand them (after a few views) and helped me get a whole new appreciation for the game. I think this is easily the best mod guide out there.
  • Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    Getting the best mods is honestly RNG dependent. That RNG is diminished by the amount of mods you farm/buy in the mod shop or buy in packs. It’s a roll of the dice. I’ve had good mods that started with 5 speed not roll a single speed increase with grey mods turning into god mods with 25+ speed boosts
  • RNG RNG RNG RNG RNG. Sacrifice EVERYTHING to RNGesus.
  • Korban
    100 posts Member
    Thanks for the coments.

One last question: do you always send 4 dot mods, no matter the rarity? Those can't be upgraded to 5, correct?
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Correct, 4-dot and lower cannot ever be sliced to just sell them without upgrading once you can farm 5-dot mods.
  • Always sell 4 dot and below.
  • Korban
    100 posts Member
    edited May 2021
    Is there any sense chasing Primaries in the mod challenges? Or such don't exist?
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    The mod shop is not pure garbage lol. You're not wrong about the 15 crystal refresh or 5 dot gold mods, but "pure garbage" it is not.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • DuneFlint
    648 posts Member
    Yeah, the modshop is quite useful. Not worth crystals to refresh, but I'll spend 4mil for known secondaries any day.
  • A good general rule is, upgrade a grey to level 3, get 5 speed, keep it. Upgrade all others to 12, get 5 speed keep it. Sell all others. Obviously simplified, but for a person new to mods, not a bad system.

And the store is not great. Rarely you may find something you need, but unless it is the one mod you have needed, just ignore the rest.
  • If a mod in the shop doesn’t already show a speed secondary, dont bother. If it does, and you have credits above and beyond what’s needed for leveling toons, buy it. No refreshes.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    A good general rule is, upgrade a grey to level 3, get 5 speed, keep it. Upgrade all others to 12, get 5 speed keep it. Sell all others. [...]

If you want speed secondaries why would you stop upgrading Grey mods at level 3 where only 1 secondary Stat is revealed? And why would you continue leveling all others beyond the point where all 4 secondary stats are revealed if there's no speed secondary?

I wouldn't recommend this system.

• Rebmes
    376 posts Member
    Open up your mods by leveling them, no speed no keep. Easy peasy.

When selling mods you can sort them by speed to sell all the failed ones.

Good luck, sometimes rolling a batch of grays can yield something legendary,
    and sometimes months of farming yields nothing.
  • jonnysiniwal
    675 posts Member
    edited May 2021
    People here are giving you bad advice about the mod shop. It has its place. I check it every refresh. I don't usually buy anything, but you can find gold mods with good speed and other stats. I don't know what these people are spending all their credits on but eventually you will have plenty. If I see a gold mod with speed offence and another useful stat I would definitely buy it. It costs far less to upgrade these mods than going all the way from gray. Just don't get carried away. Make sure it is actually good. Look for high speed, good primary, and at least 1 other good secondary.

This doesn't replace farming them, but is a nice addition. Most of what you farm will be low value mods that take time and effort to make good. It feels really good to get a few nice gold mods here and there that can skip most of the process.
  • Realkickaxe
    40 posts Member
    edited May 2021
    Waqui wrote: »
    A good general rule is, upgrade a grey to level 3, get 5 speed, keep it. Upgrade all others to 12, get 5 speed keep it. Sell all others. [...]

If you want speed secondaries why would you stop upgrading Grey mods at level 3 where only 1 secondary Stat is revealed? And why would you continue leveling all others beyond the point where all 4 secondary stats are revealed if there's no speed secondary?

I wouldn't recommend this system.

I misspoke, sorry. I meant level grey to 3, get 5 speed keep it, otherwise ditch it, and others level up until 4 stats are revealed, and if you have a speed secondary, then level them to 12. At that point, if you have 5 speed (or more), keep it.

I forgeot to mention that middle step.

As for they greys, you get so many early on, that it's a waste to spend to level them up unless you get a 5 speed first try. Later when you have credits to burn, level them until you get a speed stat. Less than 5 ditch it, 5 speed keep it.