Defeating the Chimaera

Llennob
29 posts Member
Ok, in fleet, am I the only one that thinks the Strategic Dominance is just a stupid ability? I mean, it one shots anyone? ANY ONE SHIP?!? Oh wait, there’s more. 40% damage to everyone who didn’t die, add 1 to capital ship cool down, and fully heal and add full protection to all allies? The description should just say, “Thrawn wins, you lose. You have 4 turns to get your affairs in order.” Spoiler alert: He dies in canon so stop making his ship a mini-Death Star.

Replies

• khelzac
    335 posts Member
    edited May 2021
    Chimaera is pretty good early on but its food for the current meta fleets (Negotiator and Malevolence). Rebel fleets with Han's falcon can also wreck Chimaera.

Edit: Forgot to add. Chimaera by itself isn't an "I win" button. If your ships are good enough, you can take enemy fleet out before Thrawn ult. Not to mention, a tank can be used to waste Thrawn ult if you can finish the battle without it.
  • RTS
    682 posts Member
    Llennob wrote: »
    Spoiler alert: He dies in canon

Where?
  • AlexanderG
    1927 posts Member
    I cannot remember the last time I saw Chimaera in Fleet Arrena. Arguably Tarkin's ship is the better of the Empire capital ships.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    Ok, in fleet, am I the only one that thinks the Strategic Dominance is just a stupid ability? I mean, it one shots anyone? ANY ONE SHIP?!? Oh wait, there’s more. 40% damage to everyone who didn’t die, add 1 to capital ship cool down, and fully heal and add full protection to all allies? The description should just say, “Thrawn wins, you lose. You have 4 turns to get your affairs in order.” [...]

Mimimimi
    [...] Spoiler alert: He dies in canon so stop making his ship a mini-Death Star.

No, he does not.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    I had to look at the date on this because Chimaera's ultimate no longer heals all allies since the ships 2.0 rebalance, just target ally.

But yeah, ultimate abilities are meant to be powerful, and Chimaera's is definitely one of my favorites. But Tarkin's vs. low level ships can also annihilate a lot of people. Ackbar lets all ships go twice in a row with specials. Malevolence outright stuns your capital and prevents your ships having any protection for the rest of the fight. We don't need to talk about Holdo who straight up destroys the enemy cap, because there is no team currently to justify using her.
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    Spoiler alert: He dies in canon so stop making his ship a mini-Death Star.

He does? Where?
    I've found this whole experience to be very enlightening.

Thank you for evaluating. Your feedback is appreciated.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Everyone dies somewhere.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    Everyone dies somewhere.

Yes, but when?

• TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Xcien wrote: »
    Everyone dies somewhere.

Yes, but when?

When their time is up.
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    Everyone dies somewhere.

Yes, but when?

When their time is up.

Very helpful...

• Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    Everyone dies somewhere.

Yes, but when?

When their time is up.

And when is that?

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited May 2021
    crzydroid wrote: »
    [...] We don't need to talk about Holdo who straight up destroys the enemy cap, because there is no team currently to justify using her.
    Actually, Raddus is a great counter against Malevolence - especially in GAC because of all that protection regen. Against Malevolence you make good use of destroying the enemy capital ship. You save the Falcon's AoE for after Malevolence is destroyed to prevent the enemy from summoning new Vulture droids.

• crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    Waqui wrote: »
    [...] We don't need to talk about Holdo who straight up destroys the enemy cap, because there is no team currently to justify using her.
    Actually, Raddus is a great counter against Malevolence - especially in GAC because of all that protection regen. Against Malevolence you make good use of destroying the enemy capital ship. You save the Falcon's AoE for after Malevolence is destroyed to prevent the enemy from summoning new Vulture droids.

What do you run under it?
  • Xcien wrote: »
    Everyone dies somewhere.

Yes, but when?

When their time is up.

And when is that?

When they die
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    Everyone dies somewhere.

Yes, but when?

When their time is up.

And when is that?

When they die

While this has been fun, I would like the OP to say exactly where in canon Thrawn dies. And Thrawn does NOT die at the end of Rebels, if the OP is thinking that.

• Xcien wrote: »
    Everyone dies somewhere.

Yes, but when?

When their time is up.

And when is that?

When they die

While this has been fun, I would like the OP to say exactly where in canon Thrawn dies. And Thrawn does NOT die at the end of Rebels, if the OP is thinking that.

The funny part, to me, is if “dying in canon” is the barometer for being a good character in this game, well... Yoda, Palp, Vader, Luke, Leia, Han, GAS, Kenobi, Grievous, Kylo, the rest of the GR Jedi should all be complete garbage so OP can win.

And I was thinking, wait until he gets far enough to fight a Malevolence or a Negotiator. I can’t wait for those posts.
  • Llennob wrote: »
    Ok, in fleet, am I the only one that thinks the Strategic Dominance is just a stupid ability? I mean, it one shots anyone? ANY ONE SHIP?!? Oh wait, there’s more. 40% damage to everyone who didn’t die, add 1 to capital ship cool down, and fully heal and add full protection to all allies? The description should just say, “Thrawn wins, you lose. You have 4 turns to get your affairs in order.” Spoiler alert: He dies in canon so stop making his ship a mini-Death Star.

Perhaps you should take note of all the characters/ships you post complaints about and farm them for you to use yourself.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited May 2021
    Waqui wrote: »

What do you run under it?

HT, Resistance X-wing and Poe as your starting three. Raddus will keep them alive. Use Rey's Falcon as your second reinforcement. I used XB as the first reinforcement for the extra breaches (to regain taunt) and to give HT retribution (to clear buzz droids).
    Post edited by Waqui on
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    Zanir wrote: »
    OP hasn't read the description of Nego's AOE.

If OP thinks Chimaera's ultimate is overpowered, wait until they get to Malevolence...

• Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    Everyone dies somewhere.

Yes, but when?

When their time is up.

And when is that?

When they die

The funny part, to me, is if “dying in canon” is the barometer for being a good character in this game, well... Yoda, Palp, Vader, Luke, Leia, Han, GAS, Kenobi, Grievous, Kylo, the rest of the GR Jedi should all be complete garbage so OP can win.

Almost everyone in SW dies at some point. Since that is true, then they should all be terrible then, which is horrible logic.

• TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Everyone dies somewhere.

Yes, but when?

When their time is up.

And when is that?

When they die

Almost everyone in SW dies at some point. Since that is true, then they should all be terrible then, which is horrible logic.

GrandCleanBufflehead-size_restricted.gif
  • Fleet battles hardly ever make it to ultimate anyway. Chimera would be my 5th or 6th best capital ship choice now.
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    Fleet battles hardly ever make it to ultimate anyway. Chimera would be my 5th or 6th best capital ship choice now.

True.

• Llennob wrote: »

All of the replies to your OP are spot on.
    - G12 Tarkin Geos eat Thrawn for lunch. Especially with Hyena Bomber now.
    - Thrawn's ship in lore was an incredibly powerful and ominous event against Rebels.
    - His death is not shown. He is shown to disappear, not die, for a later return.
    - Even if the opponents use his ultimate, at your problem is your fleet if you cannot win at that point.