Kenobi requirements [MERGE]

Replies

• TVF
    36519 posts Member
    crzydroid wrote: »
    SotaDraken wrote: »
    with the description of the final scene in GLOW's event... the possibility still seems like it's Seperatist but the possibility of a Lord Vader is also there..

my feeling on who the opposite DS GL Is now 50/50.. it could go either way..

Stop trying to make GLOW a thing.
    It's JMK.

Supreme Leader Kylo Ren is SLKR
    Rey is Rey
    Sith Eternal Emperor is SEE
    Jedi Master Luke is JML
    There is no precedent for that disgusting abbreviation.
    Ruleset > trying to be cute.
    The community rests.

And yet, General Skywalker is GAS, First Order Executioner is FOX, The Mandalorian (Beskar Armor) is BAM...

FOE and MBA

But that's just what I use. Eveyone is entitled to their own acronyms :smile:
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Starslayer
    2413 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    with the description of the final scene in GLOW's event... the possibility still seems like it's Seperatist but the possibility of a Lord Vader is also there..

It's JMK.

Rey is Rey
    Jedi Master Luke is JML
    The community rests.

And yet, General Skywalker is GAS, First Order Executioner is FOX, The Mandalorian (Beskar Armor) is BAM...

FOE and MBA

As we’re friends, I hope I can tell you this without being obnoxious : MBA is not an acronym.
  • RTS
    682 posts Member
    Keyth wrote: »

It's JMK.

Rey is Rey
    Jedi Master Luke is JML
    The community rests.

Are any of those galactic legends?
    Inconsistent comparison.
    The Unit Name is Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi. If you're following the standard you just presented, it would be JMOK.
    No Legendaries are referred to as Legendary in their abbreviation.
    No Epic Confrontation characters are referred to as ECs in their abbreviation.
    Stop trying to make it a thing. It isn't even that clever.

People who try to make GLOW happen are the same ones who pronounce GIF JIF

Hey now, I think GLOW is stupid and I pronounce it "jif" (correctly)
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member

It's JMK.

Rey is Rey
    Jedi Master Luke is JML
    The community rests.

Well, GAS is the officially sanctioned abbreviation, so bad example. FOX is First Order eXecutioner (maybe should be FOE, but still just using an accepted swap for Ex), and BAM is the right letters just in a different order.

People trying to do GLOW or JMOWK are adding things to try to make the abbreviation work. I'll admit GLOW is fun (I tried to make GLEE a thing for SEE; it worked as well as fetch), but it's just not going to stick.

It's JMK.

Rey is Rey
    Jedi Master Luke is JML
    The community rests.

The Unit Name is Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi. If you're following the standard you just presented, it would be JMOK.

Actually, pretty sure the unit name is simply "Jedi Master Kenobi" since that is how CG has been referring to him the entire time.
  • Creme
    32 posts Member

It's JMK.

Rey is Rey
    Jedi Master Luke is JML
    The community rests.

Imagine gatekeeping acronyms.
  • crzydroid
    7252 posts Moderator

It's JMK.

Rey is Rey
    Jedi Master Luke is JML
    The community rests.

Inconsistent comparison.

I'm not trying to make GLOW a thing. I'm just pointing out you listed a bunch of cherry-picked examples to try and insist there's an arbitrary set of rules. The community has shown there are no hard rules for abbreviation conventions. They'll come up with whatever they think works. It's unlikely to be GLOW in this instance. But it *could* be, if people liked it, because there are no rules.
  • All these people complaining about WAT being required... LOL

This is a game of progression.

Did you complain about ROLO being needed previously?

Not everything is for every player from the jump; you have to earn your way up. You shouldn't be able to get the same toons as a player with 8mil GP that has been grinding their tails off for 5 years (or spending lots of money) with your 3mil account. I'm sorry, but that just isn't equitable and doesn't make sense in any way, shape or form.

I think these last reqs are too easy. I wanted to see R8 KAM.

I'll go back to my Ivory Tower since I'm an elitist.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Starslayer wrote: »

It's JMK.

Rey is Rey
    Jedi Master Luke is JML
    The community rests.

FOE and MBA

As we’re friends, I hope I can tell you this without being obnoxious : MBA is not an acronym.

You absolutely can!

With that said, perhaps you can explain further.
  • Starslayer
    2413 posts Member

It's JMK.

Rey is Rey
    Jedi Master Luke is JML
    The community rests.

FOE and MBA

You absolutely can!

An acronym is a word (like a synonym or an antonym), so you should be able to pronounce it like a word (foe, fox, gas, bam work). If not, they’re just boring initials.

Thank you for helping me spread knowledge !

• Keyth
    26 posts Member
    RTS wrote: »
    Keyth wrote: »

It's JMK.

Rey is Rey
    Jedi Master Luke is JML
    The community rests.

Inconsistent comparison.

People who try to make GLOW happen are the same ones who pronounce GIF JIF

Hey now, I think GLOW is stupid and I pronounce it "jif" (correctly)

Well then you are lost!
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member

It's JMK.

Rey is Rey
    Jedi Master Luke is JML
    The community rests.

FOE and MBA

You absolutely can!

An acronym is a word (like a synonym or an antonym), so you should be able to pronounce it like a word (foe, fox, gas, bam work). If not, they’re just boring initials.

You're welcome!

• Starslayer wrote: »

Actually, an acronym is an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word.

It is also a noun.

• TIL that people will argue about the nickname/acronym that will be used for a character.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    TIL that people will argue about the nickname/acronym that will be used for a character.

It's always nice to learn something, right?
  • crzydroid wrote: »

It's JMK.

Rey is Rey
    Jedi Master Luke is JML
    The community rests.

Inconsistent comparison.

I'm not trying to make GLOW a thing. I'm just pointing out you listed a bunch of cherry-picked examples to try and insist there's an arbitrary set of rules. The community has shown there are no hard rules for abbreviation conventions. They'll come up with whatever they think works. It's unlikely to be GLOW in this instance. But it *could* be, if people liked it, because there are no rules.

"Cherry Picked examples"
    You mean like the only other GLs we have at this time?
    Yeah well I know we're discussing apples but let me bring up t bone steaks as a counter point.
    Brilliant.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Title: Kenobi Requirements

Staying on topic,
    nlrud3unshlc.jpg
  • Devian
    663 posts Member
    edited June 2021

It's JMK.

Rey is Rey
    Jedi Master Luke is JML
    The community rests.

FOE and MBA

goose(GAS), panda(Executioner ) and manda/beskar(for BH mandalorian - mando!) =D

• TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Devian wrote: »

It's JMK.

Rey is Rey
    Jedi Master Luke is JML
    The community rests.

FOE and MBA

goose, panda and manda =D

anthony-edwards-meg-ryan-top-gun.gif
  • Starslayer
    2413 posts Member
    Devian wrote: »

It's JMK.

Rey is Rey
    Jedi Master Luke is JML
    The community rests.

FOE and MBA

goose(GAS), panda(Executioner ) and manda/beskar(for BH mandalorian - mando!) =D

They’re not acronyms. Please stay on topic within the off topic.
  • Konju
    1142 posts Member
    I think the reqs are quite easy. Interested to see the kit.
  • crzydroid
    7252 posts Moderator
    edited June 2021

It's JMK.

Rey is Rey
    Jedi Master Luke is JML
    The community rests.

Inconsistent comparison.

"Cherry Picked examples"
    You mean like the only other GLs we have at this time?
    Yeah well I know we're discussing apples but let me bring up t bone steaks as a counter point.
    Brilliant.

Only limiting naming conventions to GLs is cherry picking. Not only are there no rules for fans' naming conventions, to suggest that there are different rules for GLs vs the rest of the characters is out of left field. You don't have to like someone else's acronym; that's fine. But just say you don't like it. Don't pretend there are rules.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member

Actually, an acronym is an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word.

It is also a noun.

People get acronyms and initialisms mixed up all the time.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • SotaDraken wrote: »

It's JMK.

Rey is Rey
    Jedi Master Luke is JML
    The community rests.

no.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    edited June 2021
    NicWester wrote: »

It is also a noun.

People get acronyms and initialisms mixed up all the time.

S.R.Y.
  • Finally finished
  • Jakdnels
    786 posts Member
    Will we get double drops for the last set of requirements?
  • BryGuy2k
    198 posts Member
    It’s Globi and nobody can convince me otherwise.
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    Jakdnels wrote: »

Double drops are this weekend for LS and Fleet.
  • Jakdnels
    786 posts Member
    StarSon wrote: »
    Jakdnels wrote: »

Double drops are this weekend for LS and Fleet.

Thank you. Was there an announcement or a datamine? (Just curious where I missed the info)