Potency and Tenacity - how do the mechanics actually work?

Stenun
851 posts Member
edited November 2023
My Juhani currently has a Tenacity of 132% and I thought surely that's not necessary, surely a Tenacity of 100% would stop everything that can be resisted. But no, she still gets slapped with every debuff going; left, right and centre.
So what's the point of Tenacity when even a Tenacity of 132% doesn't do anything?
How do these two numbers actually work? It seems to me to be quite pointless.
Post edited by EA_Mako on

Replies

• Stenun
    851 posts Member
    Umm, yes, okay, I'll try being more precise because that link doesn't answer my question about whether there is any point to 132% Tenacity.
    Potency - Tenacity, yessss ... but if all characters who apply Debuffs are going to have their Potency cranked high by their players' mods, is there much point bothering with Tenacity?
    If even a Tenacity of 132% doesn't make any difference, what's the point?
  • UdalCuain
    4996 posts Member
    edited June 2021
    Stenun wrote: »
    Umm, yes, okay, I'll try being more precise because that link doesn't answer my question about whether there is any point to 132% Tenacity.
    Potency - Tenacity, yessss ... but if all characters who apply Debuffs are going to have their Potency cranked high by their players' mods, is there much point bothering with Tenacity?

No. Tenacity of your unit - potency of enemy equals chance to resist. You have it the wrong way round there.

It makes it less likely to be inflicted with a debuff. 132% means the enemy needs 117% potency (which is quite high) to take you down to the base 15% tenacity. The less tenacity you have on your unit the easier it is to bring them down to the base.
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member
    UdalCuain wrote: »

No. Tenacity of your unit - potency of enemy equals chance to resist. You have it the wrong way round there.

It makes it less likely to be inflicted with a debuff. 132% means the enemy needs 117 potency to take you down to the base 15% tenacity. The less tenacity you have in your unit the easier it is to bring them down to the base.

Yes, fine, typo, sorry, whatever.
    Still not answering my main question.

My point though is that even with really high Tenacity, it doesn't do anything.
    If with 132% they need only 117% to reduce my unit to the base level, is there any point increasing Tenacity on your characters these days?
    How high would your Tenacity need to be to get even a 50% chance against most meta Top Tier squads?
  • UdalCuain
    4996 posts Member
    UdalCuain wrote: »

It makes it less likely to be inflicted with a debuff. 132% means the enemy needs 117 potency to take you down to the base 15% tenacity. The less tenacity you have in your unit the easier it is to bring them down to the base.

Yes, fine, typo, sorry, whatever.
    Still not answering my main question.

My point though is that even with really high Tenacity, it doesn't do anything.
    If with 132% they need only 117% to reduce my unit to the base level, is there any point increasing Tenacity on your characters these days?
    How high would your Tenacity need to be to get even a 50% chance against most meta Top Tier squads?

It depends on the potency of the attacker. To use the 117% potency enemy, you need 167% tenacity on your character.

You are missing the point that without your "really high tenacity" you'd be getting debuffed more often.

What "meta top tier squads" are you facing with Juhani?
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member
    But my point is, all my characters are getting debuffed all the time anyway, I used Juhani as an example because her 132% caught my eye.
    It seems an almost useless stat as it makes very little difference.

I sometimes use Juhani in GAC when attacking with JKRevan. So it depends on what squad I'm attacking.
  • 132% isn't that high these days. Hux is a unit often modded with tons of Tenacity. The highest Tenacity Hux on swgoh.gg has 235% Tenacity. To even have a chance to inflict debuffs on that Hux, one would have to have a Potency over 135%. To have a 50/50 shot, you'd have to get Potency up to 185%.
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member
    That's kind of my point.
    People are modding their characters to be able to hit the character's who have such insanely high Tenacity. So for those who stand no chance of getting there, is there any point even trying?
    It's reached such silly levels that for most, I don't see it as being worth it anymore. There's no point. My Juhani's Tenacity of 132% comes from 6 Tenacity Mods and one of them gives +24% Tenacity. If with all that, she gets a relatively low Tenacity by today's standards, what's the point?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Yes tenacity serves a purpose. You would need to collect data to present a real picture of what is going on, and pay special attention to debuffs that cannot be resisted.

The down side, as was being pointed out above, is that you need a really high tenacity, just to start getting away from the base resist amount. So it's a fair amount of work for little payoff, as you are only reducing the chance of debuff not really making headway on a full resist, by any means.
  • Stenun wrote: »
    That's kind of my point.
    ... So for those who stand no chance of getting there, is there any point even trying?

It depends. I would say that if going all in on Tenacity only gets you to 132%, there is little to gain in doing so on that toon.

Keep in mind, some toons are predominantly used in squads where the lead or a unique boosts tenacity. For example, B1 gives bonus tenacity based on his DB stacks. So a B2 at 132% Tenacity would be much more effective.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    There's a reason people do a quick tenacity-potency calculation before sending in their Nest vs Padme (even using Farmboy Luke lead to increase the tenacity if neccessary).
    There's a reason people use a potency cross on their JKA when they want to beat KRU and DR teams.
    It all comes down to the team comps and their modding.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    But my point is, all my characters are getting debuffed all the time anyway,....

The point is that having more than 15% higher tenacity than your opponent's potency will increase the chance of resisting the effects. Whether it's worth it for you or not is up to you.

Some players mod a few key characters like Rey, Malak, Nest and Zaalbar for high tenacity and then don't bother with the rest.
This discussion has been closed.