Title update 6/15 [MERGE]

12345679Next

Replies

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    But seriously, reducing the number of visible squads from 4 down to 2 significantly impacts the user experience when trying to review and maintain squads for an event such as GAC, TW, TB or Galactic Conquest.

Where previously I could view up to 4 squads at a time, now I can only really view 2 at a time making it more difficult to review my squad assignments.

And where before I could move a squad up or down 4 places before having to scroll, now I can only move it 2 places, making reorganizing squads a real pain in the posterior.

And in return for this loss all I gain is some non-essential information and the ability to name squads. Not worth the tradeoff, not by a long shot.

h5t4jx32iozn.png

rw2ojvb1uxfg.png
  • Straegen
    194 posts Member
    edited June 2021
    Stenun wrote: »
    With the greatest of respect ...
    Every time ANY software brings out a new version with changes, some people hate it. I'm old enough to remember the uproar about Windows 95 coming after Windows 3.1. So many people said it was terrible. Can you imagine going back to Windows 3.1 now?
    Not to mention Windows 10's changes. You seen the leaked info on Windows 11 yet?

This UI update is New Coke, Crystal Pepsi, Ford Edsel, Microsoft Bob, Microsoft Clippy, Nintendo Virtual Boy, etc. Not every "upgrade" or redesign is good on the whole and this one is terrible particularly for players with large rosters.

Oh and if we are talking about Windows versions... Windows Vista was an abomination just like this UI change. Hell Windows 7 is still better than Windows 10.

They should call this UI update... The Rise of Skywalker.

• Crayons
    565 posts Member
    I hate it. I’m now used to it.

It is doubtful they’re going to put it back. When I say doubtful I mean not a chance in hell. So it’s done.

This is what life is now, our dystopian future has been reached.
  • The new UI for the most part have been really good, and in particular looks great on iPhone. However, the new scaling has meant that on iPad, most icons are now disproportionately small and there are large amounts of blank space around them that makes things really hard to see. I have no vision problems but even I struggle to read some of the smaller icons now, so I can only imagine what it must be like for those with greater sight difficulties.

The new contrast and colour changes to the Gear level icons around characters and the new black background don’t help a lot with this either (of less importance but still relevant is the fact that the new changes to gear level icons make it much harder to distinguish between Gear 8 and 9, however this is likely as much due to how small the icons are now than the actual shape changes themselves)

Some examples:

iwoli07mb3ga.png

yt03xb3x1rvm.png

hlgcju33kgee.png

iPhone version for comparison:

r11lcha1hwma.jpeg

I’m no game’s developer so I have no idea how easy any fixes are to make, but any modifications to the scaling to make it more appropriate or else an option to temporarily revert back to the previous UI (all areas of the game that are unchanged are still absolutely fine on iPad) would be greatly appreciated by many, both from the point of view of QoL and from an accessibility standpoint. Thanks.

• Wanabe
    23 posts Member
    This ux is terrible. It leads to miss clicks and it offers nothing new except the recommendations tab. And fleet still has no squad editor.

I’d like to know why this change was made. I have never wanted this personally. And it reeks of vanity.

Fix fleet. Go back to the old format. Thank you.
  • Wanabe
    23 posts Member
    Just deleted all of my squads on accident. Great love this. Thanks CG
  • Wanabe
    23 posts Member
    I have adult size hands. This it a phone interface. Fade small x icons right next to menu choices? Tiny fingered testers?
  • 1. First real bug has already been identified: It doesn’t save the rearrangement – even after push “done” – if you then go to editing the squads. I also think there’s a bug on the renaming part (see ad. 3).

2. Where is fleet management? It’s way overdue to implement that. I don’t change my GAC defense for that reason – if I change one squad I need to set the entire defense. Setting the defense with Chimaera is tedious while I have to sort on “Sith” to set B-28 and TIE Advanced, then sort on “Empire” to find TIE Bomber, Emperors shuttle and TIE fighter, then sort on “Sith” again to find Scimitar and Sith Fighter.
    In fleet arena there’s a lot of different counters – each time the entire roster has to be reset changing from GR to Separatists+misc.
    An average account have at least 4 Capital ships (I have 5 fully "equipped" + variations/compositions for different scenarios.

3. The change name button is too small. Way too often I don’t hit it right. It’s extremely poor UI. Sometimes it seems to lock, so I can’t hit it at all. After leaving Inventory and go back in, I can hit the pencil icon again (still with an 70-80% probability). Why not change the name in the Edit function?

4. Overview: There’s a lot of unnecessary information and now I have a poor overview of my squads because I can only see two squads at a time. It’s a huge setback!
    Suggestions:
    • Remove the stars and “Max” on every toon. It’s not necessary. Everyone have their toons at level 85 and the “Max” is repetitive of the “85” logo on the toon. Furthermore, the majority of toons is maxed with five starts – few toons are relevant if they weren’t – AND you know it’s five starts (except Hux) if the toons is G12 or reliced.
    • Use the empty space: Move the Edit button under the squad name.
    I made a mock-up in Word on my suggestion – with a four line overview and even room for some starts if that is deemed necessary.
    5kf89ge4os2y.png

5. It’s no longer possible to see restricted characters on the screen. Is it a bug? E.g. in GAC I can’t see in my squad list which squads I have used and those I haven’t. Again, poor UI and bad call in terms of functionality.

6. I like that I kind make a squad – for future strategies – with toons I haven’t unlocked. Thanks!

So, you gave us two new functions – naming the squads (which is very difficult, so I don’t really do it) and including locked toons in the squads – on the cost of a lot of basic functions and overview.
  • The new UI is atrocious. q4a8w1w3ozrm.jpg
    They need to scrap and start anew.
    The character icons are tiny.
    There is unnecessary text. You don't need to tell people to tap the portraits, for instance. That's the only thing you can do....
    They have both horizontal and vertical menus when you should only have the former. That's the primary cause of the tiny icons. At this point I think the portraits have 50% of the screen.
    You don't need the word "characters" on the character screen. That is redundant. It should just be a ships button.
    Having only horizontal menu buttons would eliminate the need to have button text that only takes up a fraction of the button space.
  • After a few days of using it I think it is worth looking at the changes again.

Roster view:
    Shard counter turning green when able to upgrade. Yay. Much easier to find that toon.
    Having max there on a relic? Waste of space, but I see why, just to keep a standard layout for all.

Gear icons replaced by ticks. Boo. Annoying to find that particular item that you need to check the number of for your hoard count or craft for the scavenger. The find only looks for toons that need it but don't have it equipped. The icon let you find where it is already equipped without going into every character.

Gear boxes on both sides in little arcs. Boo. Takes up more space on screen for no reason.

Colour or contrast or something changed about picture frames. Boo. I can't put my finger on what is different, but I'm finding the gear level much harder to make out.

Stars at the bottom, name at the top. Shrug.

Only fitting 5 toons across. Boo. More scrolling.
    Only fitting 4 ships across. Boo. More scrolling.

Mod tick box instead of a button. Shrug. Takes up less room I guess and allows for the same filters to be available. But still with taking up less room we get less toons in view somehow.

Squad buttons down the side. Boo. This is the main reason there is less toons and more scrolling. Why go from different screens for roster, squads and mods to this one screen-fits-none option?

All vs favourite view tabs. Boo. Waste of space. It's in the filters.

Squads:
    Only 2 squads in the screen at a time. Boo. More scrolling, more confusing, more time to rearrange.

Squad names. Shrug. Haven't bothered yet. Doubt I will. Having default written there keeps on making me think I'm in the default tab. Takes up a lot of space, so actually very close to a Boo.

Mod tick to see Squad mods. Yay. Nice to be able to double check easily.

Move and copy squads between tabs. Yay.

Having to carefully click on some blank space to actually select the squad for use. Boo. I keep on going into look at a toon by accident. No visual indication of where you are supposed to tap to actually select the team.

Still no ship squads. Boo.

Squad selector screen:
    Synergy indicator. Yay. Both with the counter in selected box and in the list.

Lead ability indicator in list. Yay. Only just though. Not very useful for experienced player. Combined with the red alert box when a non leader is in the slot might be overkill. I guess it's been a big point of confusion for new players.

Still no indication of relic level of a toon you have selected. Boo. Why not? Heaps of room in there.

Character screen:
    Clickable tags to go to filtered list. Yay.

Info tab for some squad recommendations. Shrug. Some pretty obvious stuff in there without any interesting stuff added in. Thrawn has only one use? General kenobi has been in many many recommended synergies lists of released toons, yet he has one squad recommendation? Cool. If the idea is to help new players it's not a huge help.

So that's
    6 Yay
    9 Boo (there are 11 up there but 2 of them are for inaction rather than bad changes)
    4 Shrug

So more than twice as many neutral to negatives than positives for me. At least there are some positives.
  • Bring back the old UI. TW squad placement was the biggest pain in the @#% and very hard to track what I set when the squad list doesn't tell me.

P.S. Where's our make good on you guys screwing up the KAM mission and then EA support telling us it's WAI?
  • Crayons
    565 posts Member
    edited June 2021
    Seeing old screenshots of your roster on your camera roll

fdu9h5qw5ufe.jpeg
  • zatho
    747 posts Member
    Having max there on a relic? Waste of space, but I see why, just to keep a standard layout for all.
    Maybe it is a placeholder for an update, where you can gather new shards to promote them to 8 stars
    Still no indication of relic level of a toon you have selected. Boo. Why not? Heaps of room in there.
    100% this

and you forgot a Boo — still not possible to change order of squad categories
  • Stryde
    152 posts Member
    After a few days of using it I think it is worth looking at the changes again.

I've given myself some time too before giving feedback. Every time the character formatting changes, there is similar feedback about it not being viewable. After waiting, I will get used to it just like last time, but I don't like it. Making less characters visible is a step backwards.

I agree with your yays and boos for the most part, with no major disagreements. Thanks for the analysis.

There are definitely a few improvements with the update, but I'm really unclear on how this update was pushed through with so many back steps like character viewability and mis steps (leaving fleet management out of an update of this scope and not realizing used characters in a node are no longer tagged as unavailable is just disappointing). Any developer who spends time in the game should have given this feedback before the update.

I'm not sure what was asked for, but viewing mods at different stages is as close as we got.

• Why was my CG_Stevie_Wonder post removed?

Has CG's only tester been fired?
  • This is visually one of the worst updates I’ve ever encountered in any interface I’ve seen over the last decade. And that includes the web. You took something that had a lot of data and was relatively easily to process into a contrast **** show with alllllll the wrong elements taking up the majority of real estate on screen. I don’t know why you’re sprint cycle was so gung-ho on this design overhaul attempt to mirror other games…. But you misses the part of “easy to see, sort info, and use quickly.” Maybe stop trying to justify your role touching things that don’t need to be and instead focus on things people care about. If people needed all this new trashy flashy glowy interface then why do with still play pixelated games with muted colors much more than this game? What designer/manager looked at this design for hours and said this should go past test and push to production? You all would have been stone walled with this trash if you were in a room with all the designers on my marketing team. PLEASE REVERT
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    They don't need to revert it but they do need to compress the row layout for squad view so that we can see more squads simultaneously and we don't have to scroll our poor thumbs to the bone just to navigate or rearrange our TW/GAC squads of which there can be a lot, especially with 3v3 and the new divisions.

I composed most of my 3v3 GAC offense squads from memory this match because it was actually quicker than scrolling around to find them.

And scrolling around to find and reorganize my squads for defense was just painful.

Not to mention the fact that I don't even get a visual indication of which toons are already used.

You getting all this @CG_Doja_Fett_MINI ?
  • Adamklark wrote: »
    also many times i have to especially tap at the very edge of the squad screen otherwise it selects the character..

omg I gave up on using pre-made squads because of that. It was ridiculously frustrating just to try and set 4 teams in TW.
  • TW ships are bugged the same as GAC ships are, btw. So, uh, yeah. Good update CG. Way to go! There's no part of the game that hasn't broken in this update and you've still not fixed them.
  • I’ve noticed that there’s some changes in how graphics are updated when going into battle now, there’s some sort of black screen that flickers by briefly but there’s hardly any crashes while going into battle since the latest update, so that’s really good.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    They don't need to revert it but they do need to compress the row layout for squad view so that we can see more squads simultaneously and we don't have to scroll our poor thumbs to the bone just to navigate or rearrange our TW/GAC squads of which there can be a lot, especially with 3v3 and the new divisions.

I composed most of my 3v3 GAC offense squads from memory this match because it was actually quicker than scrolling around to find them.

And scrolling around to find and reorganize my squads for defense was just painful.

Not to mention the fact that I don't even get a visual indication of which toons are already used.

Finished another GAC round and my opinion has not improved. This UI is clumsy and unhelpful.

The row layouts need compressing vertically in squad view so that we can see a useful number of them and we don't have to scroll as much and of course previously used assets need highlighting to make it clear that they are no longer usable.
  • This GAC and these TWs have been the most frustrating squad placements and battles I have ever done. I dislike GAC anyway but this has managed to give me an extra reason to dislike it. So thanks for that, CG. I will say, since this title update I've been spending far more time playing other games and significantly less time playing SWGOH. Which makes coming back to this incredibly bugged game and terrible UI all the more glaring in its clunkiness. I really struggle to grasp just how you managed to let this pass quality control. These are bugs EVERYONE is experiencing and yet you never stumbled on it before releasing it?

P.S. My alt runs a starter guild and you're actually hindering them deploying defense and attacking ships thanks to your ship bugs since they only have 1-2 fleets themselves. Great job!
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    My largest issue is that non-relic opponents either look like they are g1, or g12 if they are g7-g12.
    I've found this whole experience to be very enlightening.

Thank you for evaluating. Your feedback is appreciated.
  • Crayons
    565 posts Member
    edited June 2021
    With all the things the game needed, and needs fixed, I can’t believe this is where the budget went. They even managed to break stuff.

GAC, TW, and Raids have been extremely frustrating. Unless you’re a brand new player and have one squad, which is who this entire update seems to be aimed at.
  • Straegen
    194 posts Member
    I suspect this UI change likely had something to do with consolidating the character/ship painting routines so the various areas where characters and ships are displayed can all use the same painting routine. If true, this would make adding in things like R9 easier since they would only have to change one display routine. The side effect was this abomination. That is my theory anyway.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member

Finished another GAC round and my opinion has not improved. This UI is clumsy and unhelpful.

The row layouts need compressing vertically in squad view so that we can see a useful number of them and we don't have to scroll as much and of course previously used assets need highlighting to make it clear that they are no longer usable.
    Finished with GAC. The squad management UI still sucks for the same reasons stated previously. It's often quicker & easier just to assemble the squad manually rather than actually use the squad selector UI. That's dumb.